Draft assessment

LTH

Reaction score
On the surface it looks to be a great draft and I applaud the Hawks for getting value...But I never get excited as Things just have to play out. with competition... we will see...

LTH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Any draft grade at this point is meaningless as we haven’t seen any of the 3 players drafted play.

For the usual negative folks nothing the FO would do in the draft would be satisfactory to them. They’d downgrade any draft unless the team drafted each one of the players they thought fit the team

Seems to me though the team simply picked the BAP at each pick with the overlay of team need, and that they got value at each pick, which is always good.

It’s additionally tough to give the FO a grade for a draft where the team only picks 3 players.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Fade":36fpvxym said:
Given the few picks they had I wasn't expecting much.

I thought we were looking at an overdrafted SEC O-Lineman in the 2nd, project WR in the 4th, and an oddball pick in the 6th that makes no sense like drafting another Linebacker.

They exceeded my expectations and they had their best draft since 2015, imo.

Eskridge - A
Tre Brown - B+
Stone Foresythe - A+ (This would've been their 2nd round pick in years past.)

All three of these guys can start in the upcoming season, with the caveat I would like to see Stone Foresythe spend a year in an NFL weightroom before throwing him out there, but he could contribute in year 1 regardless.

Other than trading down and missing out on players, I totally agree with everything here.

nwHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":27a6pc5h said:
Chapow":27a6pc5h said:
pittpnthrs":27a6pc5h said:
They drafted for the future instead of the here and now.

Give them a D

Were you expecting them to be able to get guys that would be starters from day 1 in the 4th and 6th rounds?

I was expecting more than a #3 WR that will probably net them around 300 yards receiving and 4 or less TDs for the season (could have gotten that in free agency). If he does become a stud like so many on here are convinced of, it'll take 3 or 4 years for it to happen. I like Brown, but CB should have been addressed with the first pick for better talent if it was going to be wasted on a WR. Forsythe is a project that will take years to develop.

Do you realize that it typically takes 3 years for a WR is hit their stride? Golden Tate was viewed as a bust his first 2 years, and he turned out pretty good starting at year 3. There are numerous receivers that have followed the same path. If Eskridge is a HOF stud out of the gate, as you somehow expect, I'd be shocked. If he is a better returner and and more effective WR in his rookie year, no one should be bummed. He will only get better the coming years. DK and the whole team should benefit and that's a very good thing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":33g10wkh said:
Maelstrom787":33g10wkh said:
pittpnthrs":33g10wkh said:
Chapow":33g10wkh said:
Were you expecting them to be able to get guys that would be starters from day 1 in the 4th and 6th rounds?

I was expecting more than a #3 WR that will probably net them around 300 yards receiving and 4 or less TDs for the season (could have gotten that in free agency). If he does become a stud like so many on here are convinced of, it'll take 3 or 4 years for it to happen. I like Brown, but CB should have been addressed with the first pick for better talent if it was going to be wasted on a WR. Forsythe is a project that will take years to develop.

Okay. Point out the ready-to-start awesome boundary cornerback that was sitting there in the second.

If you're gonna criticize, be prepared to give specifics on who exactly was there that matches the description of what you're saying they should've taken.

Aaron Robinson was available out of UFC and he will start. I also really liked Nashon Wright from Oregon State. A 6'4" corner,,,,come on.

The Cowboys took him about 3 rounds before he was projected to go by most outlets, and I'm absolutely certain you'd be complaining about the "reach." If not, you're just being inconsistent.

Own The West

Reaction score
I was looking at this from Hoxrox's perspective as well but since we are swapping our first for the Jets 4th in 2022 as well I went to the pick calculator and figured what we gave up for Adams was the equivalent of the 11th pick in this years draft, so my breakdown would be:

RD 1 (Trade up to 11) - Jamal Adams.
RD 2 (56) - D'Wayne Eskridge
RD4 (137) - Tre Brown
RD 5 (167) - Gabe Jackson
RD 6 (208, SEA > MIA> CHI> SEA) - Stephen Sulivan and Stone Forsythe, we literally had this pick twice...
RD 7 (235) - Carlos Dunlap

So an All-Pro, a Pro-bowler, a solid starter, a probable starter, two players that could see time in their first couple years, and project poached from the practice squad.

Not bad. I was going call it an A- just because I haven't seen a full-year of Adams ingrained in our system, but I'll bump it to an 'A' since from a pure draft standpoint, we got a proven commodity at the 11th pick that was drafted with the 6th pick.

kf3339

Reaction score
c+

I was at a C- until they Picked Stone and his pass protection abilities. He is a project, but well worth the trade up.

You don't count UDFA's for draft grading. They weren't drafted by us.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
According to an average of experts we had the 2nd WORST draft of everyone.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1388864754450567169[/tweet]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":29t5zid5 said:

Who cares about what the sports media thinks? Their big boards are wildly inaccurate and their analysis is barely even surface level the vast majority of the time.

toffee

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1p9arcd6 said:

That translate to us doing really well.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
nwHawk":1tnyaugz said:
pittpnthrs":1tnyaugz said:
Chapow":1tnyaugz said:
pittpnthrs":1tnyaugz said:
They drafted for the future instead of the here and now.

Give them a D

Do you realize that it typically takes 3 years for a WR is hit their stride? Golden Tate was viewed as a bust his first 2 years, and he turned out pretty good starting at year 3. There are numerous receivers that have followed the same path. If Eskridge is a HOF stud out of the gate, as you somehow expect, I'd be shocked. If he is a better returner and and more effective WR in his rookie year, no one should be bummed. He will only get better the coming years. DK and the whole team should benefit and that's a very good thing.

Your missing the point. I dont care how good he can be in 3 or 4 years. I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1uwd0naj said:
nwHawk":1uwd0naj said:
pittpnthrs":1uwd0naj said:
Chapow":1uwd0naj said:

Your missing the point. I dont care how good he can be in 3 or 4 years. I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

There's nothing at #3 but Freddie Swain. It's 2021. Receivers are absolutely vital, and there's a black hole there. To actually say it's not an important area is just beyond out-of-touch with the game.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Own The West":yachgsc2 said:
I was looking at this from Hoxrox's perspective as well but since we are swapping our first for the Jets 4th in 2022 as well I went to the pick calculator and figured what we gave up for Adams was the equivalent of the 11th pick in this years draft, so my breakdown would be:

RD 1 (Trade up to 11) - Jamal Adams.
RD 2 (56) - D'Wayne Eskridge
RD4 (137) - Tre Brown
RD 5 (167) - Gabe Jackson
RD 6 (208, SEA > MIA> CHI> SEA) - Stephen Sulivan and Stone Forsythe, we literally had this pick twice...
RD 7 (235) - Carlos Dunlap

So an All-Pro, a Pro-bowler, a solid starter, a probable starter, two players that could see time in their first couple years, and project poached from the practice squad.

Not bad. I was going call it an A- just because I haven't seen a full-year of Adams ingrained in our system, but I'll bump it to an 'A' since from a pure draft standpoint, we got a proven commodity at the 11th pick that was drafted with the 6th pick.

Yea the jury is still out on Jamal. I'm looking forward to what he can do while fully healthy and with more experience in this defense. But to justify the draft pick value, according to your pick calculator, he would have to contribute as much, if not more than what Earl did, since they were "drafted" in the same range. Their position, and style of play is different, but will he be a bigger impact player for Seattle than Earl was? Or even Kam? It's a very high bar.

Apparently Pete and John seem to think so, or they wouldn't have given up so much capital. They are trying to recreate the LOB 2.0 - build a defense with the swag, ferocity and tenacity that's been missing for years.

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":213zywet said:
I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

So remember when the passing attack basically collapsed during the second half of the season? Teams were shading their safeties deep on DK’s side. That left Lockett needing to beat his man, or find a cushion. If he couldn’t, Russ didn’t really have other passing options who could get open consistently… Moore? Dissly? Hollister? Apparently not.

And Russ isn’t really a check-down guy. So he would hesitate, and hold the ball until something opened, or he would take the sack.

Having a legit speed guy is not only going to open things up for the quick passing game underneath, but also add to the variety of plays that can be called. People complained about predictability, and about “long-developing plays” – well there should be more variety in the passing attack now. And Eskridge is not only a YAC guy, he can beat you over the top too.

I’m not saying he’s Tyreek Hill or anything, but WR3 was a pretty big need. And he seems like a pretty good fit.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3vampzg9 said:
nwHawk":3vampzg9 said:
pittpnthrs":3vampzg9 said:
Chapow":3vampzg9 said:

So you want a top 5 draft pick every year, even then they are not a guarantee. Then I guess we will hear complaining about losing since typically you are the bottom of the league getting those picks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":3u0fxcee said:
pittpnthrs":3u0fxcee said:
I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

So remember when the passing attack basically collapsed during the second half of the season? Teams were shading their safeties deep on DK’s side. That left Lockett needing to beat his man, or find a cushion. If he couldn’t, Russ didn’t really have other passing options who could get open consistently… Moore? Dissly? Hollister? Apparently not.

And Russ isn’t really a check-down guy. So he would hesitate, and hold the ball until something opened, or he would take the sack.

Having a legit speed guy is not only going to open things up for the quick passing game underneath, but also add to the variety of plays that can be called. People complained about predictability, and about “long-developing plays” – well there should be more variety in the passing attack now. And Eskridge is not only a YAC guy, he can beat you over the top too.

I’m not saying he’s Tyreek Hill or anything, but WR3 was a pretty big need. And he seems like a pretty good fit.

I thought the great Waldron and his two TE sets with the awesome Everett pick up was supposed to take care of all of that.

The Seahawks could have drafted a crack dealer on a corner with their first pick and people on here would cheer and give them an A. I just dont feel a WR was as important as other positions and I feel Eskridge will have minimal if any impact. Only 3 picks is tough to deal with and people will start to realize how awful the Adams pick up was in a year or two when the lack of picks becomes a norm and his contract insanity begins. The FO has been pretty dismal for years now and continues to depress.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Solid draft imo. 3 needs were addressed, added to the guys we have from the trades (Dunlap, Jackson and Adams)
But, I figured a bunch of people would hate the draft. And actually buying anything the media says is laughable. Same old on here...........meh
Nothing changes and the page just gets more boring and predictable. In addition to the blasting people for actually LIKING something the Hawks did. Oh the horror. Oh well, Go Hawks

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":203b4u70 said:
I thought the great Waldron and his two TE sets with the awesome Everett pick up was supposed to take care of all of that.

The Seahawks could have drafted a crack dealer on a corner with their first pick and people on here would cheer and give them an A. I just dont feel a WR was as important as other positions and I feel Eskridge will have minimal if any impact. Only 3 picks is tough to deal with and people will start to realize how awful the Adams pick up was in a year or two when the lack of picks becomes a norm and his contract insanity begins. The FO has been pretty dismal for years now and continues to depress.

I wanted O-line too but there could be a number of reasons why the FO and their scouts didn't draft one in the second round. Maybe they wanted Dickerson. Maybe they thought Humphrey's arms were too short. Maybe they thought Meiners was too raw. For all we know, these guys could be John Moffitt 2.0. There's no guarantee they would step in year one, be instant starters, and be able to "stop Donald" More unlikely than not.

If you're depressed over football, then not sure what to tell you. It's really not that serious.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":32c88cij said:
pittpnthrs":32c88cij said:

I wanted O-line too but there could be a number of reasons why the FO and their scouts didn't draft one in the second round. Maybe they wanted Dickerson. Maybe they thought Humphrey's arms were too short. Maybe they thought Meiners was too raw. For all we know, these guys could be John Moffitt 2.0. There's no guarantee they would step in year one, be instant starters, and be able to "stop Donald" More unlikely than not.

If you're depressed over football, then not sure what to tell you. It's really not that serious.

Not depressed at all. Just pointing out the incompetence of the FO.

I wanted Dickerson before the draft too. He would have been nice. As for the others, if the FO found fault in them then they definitely should have taken one.