Draft assessment

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2zpnlfhn said:
But, I figured a bunch of people would hate the draft. And actually buying anything the media says is laughable. Same old on here...........meh
Nothing changes and the page just gets more boring and predictable. In addition to the blasting people for actually LIKING something the Hawks did. Oh the horror. Oh well, Go Hawks
Irony is funny. Like 90% of your posts are some version of this exact thing. "Same old".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Then scroll on. Couldn't care less what you think of me. It's a message board, not life.
Everything sucks, better? Thanks for the reminder for why I rarely come here these days. dot negative indeed.
Kind of a bummer, because there are a lot of really good posters on here who like to talk football. A lot more than blasting anyone who has a positive opinion about the Hawks. And NO, that doesn't mean they are without fault. Every front office has their hits and misses.

nwHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2alshatf said:
nwHawk":2alshatf said:
pittpnthrs":2alshatf said:
Chapow":2alshatf said:
Were you expecting them to be able to get guys that would be starters from day 1 in the 4th and 6th rounds?

I was expecting more than a #3 WR that will probably net them around 300 yards receiving and 4 or less TDs for the season (could have gotten that in free agency). If he does become a stud like so many on here are convinced of, it'll take 3 or 4 years for it to happen. I like Brown, but CB should have been addressed with the first pick for better talent if it was going to be wasted on a WR. Forsythe is a project that will take years to develop.

Do you realize that it typically takes 3 years for a WR is hit their stride? Golden Tate was viewed as a bust his first 2 years, and he turned out pretty good starting at year 3. There are numerous receivers that have followed the same path. If Eskridge is a HOF stud out of the gate, as you somehow expect, I'd be shocked. If he is a better returner and and more effective WR in his rookie year, no one should be bummed. He will only get better the coming years. DK and the whole team should benefit and that's a very good thing.

Your missing the point. I dont care how good he can be in 3 or 4 years. I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

You may think that, but I didn't miss your point - I just disagree with your point. D'Wayne Eskridge will be better than David Moore, 2020 Freddie Swain or Penny Hart - this year. Undoubtedly he will improve over the next couple of years.

Any OL or CB that was drafted would have been in the same boat. No team can rely on a draft pick, especially after the 1st round, to enter the league and play as a high level veteran. It happens, but those guys are more rare than we want to admit.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hey hoxrox, love the avatar!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
My issue is with Eskridge.

This upcoming season, for as high as Seattle drafted him (second round) his production will not warrant his high selection.

The offense options is this:

1. Carson
2. Wilson
3. Metcalf
4. Lockett
5. Everett
6. Eskridge/Swain

First and foremost, I think Eskridge is a nice player but his impact won’t be much this year as far as targets and receptions, yards goes. He is pretty low in the pecking order. He’ll also need to learn how to run routes. His collegiate Western Michigan tape he’ll need to learn the NFL game since defense are not what he is used too and he is not the route runner Lockett was coming out of Kansas State. His impact will be primarily on special teams cause he is on the bottom of the playmaker depth chart and may only see 5-6 targets a game and catch 3-4 balls a game.

Seattle has a need at wide receiver (third/fourth option) but Swain will be more trusted than Eskridge this year at receiver.

Hopefully, Eskridge can tilt the field consistently and contribute largely as the KR/PR on special teams cause he will almost certainly will not see many targets in games, think Seattle’s version of Tavon Austin but to use a second rounder on him a as quite questionable.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":39kuqy4u said:
Natethegreat":39kuqy4u said:
pittpnthrs":39kuqy4u said:
They drafted for the future instead of the here and now.

Give them a D
To me Eskridge and Tre Brown where picks for this year. Stone Forsythe is a future pick and a good one at that for the round they acquired him in. They needed to be thinking ahead at tackle.

I dont think Eskridge will have any impact. I'm hopeful for Brown, but that could go pear shaped really quick too.
Lol at your signature bro.

Jerhawk, and I can’t understand why, seems to have this ultra high belief in Eskridge. He must be a relative of his or some sort.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
nwHawk":letvz3o1 said:
pittpnthrs":letvz3o1 said:
nwHawk":letvz3o1 said:
pittpnthrs":letvz3o1 said:
I was expecting more than a #3 WR that will probably net them around 300 yards receiving and 4 or less TDs for the season (could have gotten that in free agency). If he does become a stud like so many on here are convinced of, it'll take 3 or 4 years for it to happen. I like Brown, but CB should have been addressed with the first pick for better talent if it was going to be wasted on a WR. Forsythe is a project that will take years to develop.

Do you realize that it typically takes 3 years for a WR is hit their stride? Golden Tate was viewed as a bust his first 2 years, and he turned out pretty good starting at year 3. There are numerous receivers that have followed the same path. If Eskridge is a HOF stud out of the gate, as you somehow expect, I'd be shocked. If he is a better returner and and more effective WR in his rookie year, no one should be bummed. He will only get better the coming years. DK and the whole team should benefit and that's a very good thing.

Your missing the point. I dont care how good he can be in 3 or 4 years. I'm looking for players that can contribute now at areas of more importance. A #3 WR wasnt the area they should have been concentrating on.

You may think that, but I didn't miss your point - I just disagree with your point. D'Wayne Eskridge will be better than David Moore, 2020 Freddie Swain or Penny Hart - this year. Undoubtedly he will improve over the next couple of years.

Any OL or CB that was drafted would have been in the same boat. No team can rely on a draft pick, especially after the 1st round, to enter the league and play as a high level veteran. It happens, but those guys are more rare than we want to admit.

Eskridge wont be as good as Moore was last season and Swain and a free agent would be just fine at the most unimportant receiver position on the field. If Lockette or Metcalf go down, sure his numbers will see a rise by default, but until then, he'll be irrelevant. Cant change anything at this point so I hope i'm wrong.

I just cant believe that Russ asked for help upfront and Jackson is the only thing they did so far (well yes I can). Oh well. I'm sure B.J. Finney will be available.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3pe245cu said:
pittpnthrs":3pe245cu said:
Natethegreat":3pe245cu said:
pittpnthrs":3pe245cu said:
They drafted for the future instead of the here and now.

Give them a D
To me Eskridge and Tre Brown where picks for this year. Stone Forsythe is a future pick and a good one at that for the round they acquired him in. They needed to be thinking ahead at tackle.

I dont think Eskridge will have any impact. I'm hopeful for Brown, but that could go pear shaped really quick too.
Lol at your signature bro.

Jerhawk, and I can’t understand why, seems to have this ultra high belief in Eskridge. He must be a relative of his or some sort.

Oh i'm sure it was mostly sarcasm, but I thought it was funny. Jerhawk loves the guy for some reason.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3lh0ktoe said:
My issue is with Eskridge.

This upcoming season, for as high as Seattle drafted him (second round) his production will not warrant his high selection.

The offense options is this:

1. Carson
2. Wilson
3. Metcalf
4. Lockett
5. Everett
6. Eskridge/Swain

First and foremost, I think Eskridge is a nice player but his impact won’t be much this year as far as targets and receptions, yards goes. He is pretty low in the pecking order. He’ll also need to learn how to run routes. His collegiate Western Michigan tape he’ll need to learn the NFL game since defense are not what he is used too and he is not the route runner Lockett was coming out of Kansas State. His impact will be primarily on special teams cause he is on the bottom of the playmaker depth chart and may only see 5-6 targets a game and catch 3-4 balls a game.

Seattle has a need at wide receiver (third/fourth option) but Swain will be more trusted than Eskridge this year at receiver.

Hopefully, Eskridge can tilt the field consistently and contribute largely as the KR/PR on special teams cause he will almost certainly will not see many targets in games, think Seattle’s version of Tavon Austin but to use a second rounder on him a as quite questionable.

100%

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So you guys already know he won't be that good, before he even plays a down in the NFL? :?
And why does it bother you that other people think he's going to be a solid player on this team?
NONE of us know how good he is going to be. It's all opinions.
If the Rams would have taken him, I bet a lot of people would be saying that was a great pick. But, it comes down to the same thing every year, if you don't pick who I WANT, it's a bad pick.
And I doubt that's just a Seattle thing. Now, blasting the front office for just about everything they do? Very common.
They needed a #3 receiver, and they took care of it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2dfbsaba said:
nwHawk":2dfbsaba said:
pittpnthrs":2dfbsaba said:
nwHawk":2dfbsaba said:

Eskridge wont be as good as Moore was last season and Swain and a free agent would be just fine at the most unimportant receiver position on the field. If Lockette or Metcalf go down, sure his numbers will see a rise by default, but until then, he'll be irrelevant. Cant change anything at this point so I hope i'm wrong.

I just cant believe that Russ asked for help upfront and Jackson is the only thing they did so far (well yes I can). Oh well. I'm sure B.J. Finney will be available.

Is Gabe Jackson somehow insignificant to you? If so, big L.

I'm sure Russ wants more support all around, which is exactly why he was heavily recruiting Carson to come back.

Same dudes who wouldn't shut the hell up about Moore in every gameday forum are the ones objecting to trying to fix WR3. Surprise. It's almost like the allegiance isn't to logic, but to criticism.

Personally, barring injury, I'm pretty confident Eskridge's athleticism alone in Waldron's scheme will make him a better option than Moore, in an offense that sorely needed a better option.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":20zzzibv said:

So remember when they tried Moore on a jet, or bubble, and he would get stuffed for like 2-4 yards? Eskridge can pop one of those for huge gains. That could be the difference between a first down, and a 3-and-out.

He doesn't need to be some polished route runner, who knows the whole route tree at this point. That's not who DK was when he was drafted in the second round.

It's not always about the number of touches. Ideally, if this offense is going to succeed, it's about impact and variety. Spread the ball around so defenses won't know what to defend.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1agou5zm said:
pittpnthrs":1agou5zm said:
nwHawk":1agou5zm said:
pittpnthrs":1agou5zm said:

I'm sure Russ wants more support all around, which is exactly why he was heavily recruiting Carson to come back.

Same dudes who wouldn't shut the hell up about Moore in every gameday forum are the ones objecting to trying to fix WR3. Surprise. It's almost like the allegiance isn't to logic, but to criticism.

Personally, barring injury, I'm pretty confident Eskridge's athleticism alone in Waldron's scheme will make him a better option than Moore, in an offense that sorely needed a better option.

Jackson is a good player and an upgrade at the position, but does he fix the entire issue with the line? As for recruiting help, guess who Russ hasent been,,,,,,,the newly resigned Pocic. The only signing Wilson didnt tweet about afterwards. Team needs a center.

I thought Moore played well last season and said as much during the season. The people that werent happy with him,,,I cant help that.

Team SORELY needed a better option at #3 WR position? Lol. That position was the least of the teams problems.

chris98251

Reaction score
Swain isn't a slot guy, if Waldron runs a similar scheme the slot is going to be very important, Lockett and Eskridge are going to get a tone or reps there. He is worth that pick simply as a option in that position.

O line is fine, getting Jackson will make the interior very strong, Pocic will be better with less time having to maintain blocks with a system designed to pass on a rhythm. The interior is set up to run the ball with force now. Depth may be the only issue in some positions, But Jackson can flop left, Lewis to Center and the bench fill the RT, we will see how well the Forsyth kid picks things up.

Thats two players on the O line and the F.A. market is beginning to get more bodies in it as well.

We had three picks, what did you want three O lineman?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3v9aam75 said:
Maelstrom787":3v9aam75 said:
pittpnthrs":3v9aam75 said:
nwHawk":3v9aam75 said:

Jackson is a good player and an upgrade at the position, but does he fix the entire issue with the line? As for recruiting help, guess who Russ hasent been,,,,,,,the newly resigned Pocic. The only signing Wilson didnt tweet about afterwards. Team needs a center.

I thought Moore played well last season and said as much during the season. The people that werent happy with him,,,I cant help that.

Team SORELY needed a better option at #3 WR position? Lol. That position was the least of the teams problems.

You're acting like Pocic is the worst center in the league. He's not. He's easily top-20 and arguably sneaks into top-15 territory. If that's the indisputable worst guy on the starting line, then you have a pretty talented offensive line.

The issue with the offensive line will be solved by coaching more than talent, because the line is already talented. The personnel is there. If you want to say an average-at-worst center is the teams biggest issue, go ahead, but it is totally illogical.

It's almost like talking to a 2002 NFL fan. This just isn't how the league works anymore. WR3 is a starting position, and has been for a long time. For you to brush it off as if its not a need is asinine.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not to mention that, if we're talking about FREDDIE SWAIN as the current WR3... who the hell is behind him?

Absolutely NOTHING. It was as big of a need as any on the roster.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hoxrox":2dl60yvy said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2dl60yvy said:

So remember when they tried Moore on a jet, or bubble, and he would get stuffed for like 2-4 yards? Eskridge can pop one of those for huge gains. That could be the difference between a first down, and a 3-and-out.

He doesn't need to be some polished route runner, who knows the whole route tree at this point. That's not who DK was when he was drafted in the second round.

It's not always about the number of touches. Ideally, if this offense is going to succeed, it's about impact and variety. Spread the ball around so defenses won't know what to defend.
Well, the obvious difference between DK and Eskridge is DK each week saw premier college defenses and NFL talented corners playing in the SEC. Eskridge doesn’t have that experience.

Eskridge is not a three down player since he does have not have the physicality traits in order to be a run blocker as well.

He may see jet, fly sweeps, short slants (Russ doesn’t throw many short quick slants) but when he does see the ball it will likely be against nickel corners.

I was hoping Seattle would have drafted a Z receiver since Metcalf primarily is their X and Lockett could do damage in the slot against nickel corners but if Seattle wants Eskridge then hopefully it works out for Carroll.

3 draft picks is tough but if Seattle surprises and is consistently moving the chains then no one here should complain.

But, we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":384kjmg6 said:
Not to mention that, if we're talking about FREDDIE SWAIN as the current WR3... who the hell is behind him?

Absolutely NOTHING. It was as big of a need as any on the roster.
Great point. :2thumbs: