Geno getting paid

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If he gets paid, he gets paid. Either way, I think we should draft a signal caller somewhat high. Maybe not in the first round, or if we do it should be someone that is raw with a lot of potential.

sutz

Reaction score
$30 mill for 2 years is cheap for a starting QB. Let the wrangling begin, though I agree with Huard in that they should wait until later in the season.

Mick063

Reaction score
30 million for two years is less than the going rate for an NFL starter. If you believe Geno is a starting level quarterback (he has done enough to convince me personally), then 30 million is actually a very fair, cap friendly price. Even if you believe the Seahawks should groom a young QB for the future, this isn't a bad deal for the Seahawks. By the way, that young quarterback that needs groomed may already be on the roster. It just really depends on what his price is, and expectations are.

Rat

Reaction score
Geno is in his 30s and has never gotten paid. He signed a modest second-round rookie contract, and has only gotten short, back-up deals since. He is going to want the most he can absolutely get on his next deal; I can't see it being short-term or agreed upon before the offseason.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I still want to see if Geno has that greatness in the 4th quarter before I commit to offering more than 2 years but he's putting up some great numbers and I think he'll continue making a strong case to sign a multi year deal.

Stats drive a lot of the negotiations. By year end Geno could be top 10 in most and if he takes Seattle to the playoffs, it'll be hard for Pete and John to make a low ball offer claiming it's Pete's offensive system that is helping Geno the most (which it is). At the same time, I don't think the rest of the league will think super high on Geno, so maybe he signs for a reasonable contract. If I had to guess I'd predict Seattle re-signs him to a 3 year deal at around $25m avg

knownone

Reaction score
Brock's estimation is way off.

If Geno continues at his current pace, he's getting significantly more than 15m/year. The current value for a QB, in that scenario, is roughly 25m/year. His agent will likely use Tannehill's contract (29.5m/year) as a benchmark, and Geno's track record will likely drive the overall price down. The question is whether a market will develop for Geno and whether Seattle is willing to risk losing him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete and John will say what they always say, go find an offer and come back to us and we will see what we can do................. He is not a guy that is a discount to resign anymore. Other then Pete gave him the Keys after not having anything to drive for a long time which may play into it. By numbers though not a discount player anymore.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Pete and John will say what they always say, go find an offer and come back to us and we will see what we can do................. He is not a guy that is a discount to resign anymore. Other then Pete gave him the Keys after not having anything to drive for a long time which may play into it. By numbers though not a discount player anymore.
If he continues this pace, he's going to quite possibly get one of the largest QB contracts in the NFL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He woukd be insane to accept a 15 per year contract right now. If he's that insane, I'd sign him tonight.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If he continues this pace, he's going to quite possibly get one of the largest QB contracts in the NFL.
I don't know why you're laughing, Soulfish. This is how QB contracts work. Geno's statline is right there near the top at the moment. If he keeps up this pace he's going to get a huge contract, quite possibly one of the largest in the NFL. Wilson wasn't the best QB in the NFL when he signed his huge extension, not anywhere near it. I suspect Geno Smith's will go the same way if he continues down the path.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I don't know why you're laughing, Soulfish. This is how QB contracts work. Geno's statline is right there near the top at the moment. If he keeps up this pace he's going to get a huge contract, quite possibly one of the largest in the NFL. Wilson wasn't the best QB in the NFL when he signed his huge extension, not anywhere near it. I suspect Geno Smith's will go the same way if he continues down the path.
Russ's ridiculous contract might actually bring Geno's (and other QBs negotiating this off-season) down.

NFL has been overpaying for any QB play that was even remotely above average for awhile now but the spectacle of the anchor that Denver hitched themselves to might have front offices rethinking the QB market. (And, paradoxically, Geno's play might make more teams re-evaluate some of the lesser names when looking for talent).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He laugh reacts everyone, seemingly at random. Just how he happens to be.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if Geno demands starting QB market value(25-30M+), we're gonna see what Drew Lock can do in this Shane Waldron offense after 1 year of watching & learning just like Geno did.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm guessing that if Geno demands starting QB market value(25-30M+), we're gonna see what Drew Lock can do in this Shane Waldron offense after 1 year of watching & learning just like Geno did.
According to what I've read, Lock is not under contract for next year.

Latest posts