Is Clowney a dirty player?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I don't think so. But it is a play that could possibly have been called a penalty. Or you could look at it as unintentional as the refs did.

mikeak

Reaction score
It was an illegal play

This is not college - that was not an ejection

It should have been 15 yard and that is it

Hawkpower

Reaction score
justafan":2zu7tx9m said:
Hawkpower":2zu7tx9m said:
justafan":2zu7tx9m said:
I dont know about his past, he hasnt been dirty here. But that was a dirty hit. Helmet to helmet easy call. I have been pissed because the refs dont protect RW more. Philly fans have a right to be pissed now.

Im glad it was on Wentz and not Wilson.

I dont have a problem with the argument that it should have been a penalty.

But Dirty insinuates that Clowney was hoping to hurt Wentz with malicious intent. Since he has no history of that, what did you see on that play that convinces you he was trying to maliciously hurt Wentz?

IMO he intentionally targeted Wentzes head and lowered his helmet. I would hate to see Wilson go down like that. Everybody would have lost it on that one.Wilson took a shot in the back that should have been called. The league knows the QBs are the lifeblood of most teams but they dont protect them equally.
I hope I am wrong. Its just my opinion.

So you think Clowney was hoping to illicit an injury from Wentz?

Not sure thats fair considering his lack of history in that regard.

Considering the speed of the play, and the fact that he was a runner, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

justafan

Reaction score
olyfan63":yiakdtmq said:
All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.

Every ballcarrier is supposed to be protected and it doesnt really matter what intentions Clowney had. It was helmet to helmet. Thats supposed to be flag.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
CHawk":1o99t98o said:
Granted I'm in Philly territory but the Eagles fans are really claiming Clowney has always been a dirty player. I didn't watch many Houston games but I don't remember any plays this he was even close to being dirty.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

LOL! Give them a towel to cry in. Besides, McCown did a better job than Wentz.

Methinks Philly got rid of the wrong QB?

OP
OP
CHawk

CHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":kczydwoe said:
CHawk":kczydwoe said:
Granted I'm in Philly territory but the Eagles fans are really claiming Clowney has always been a dirty player. I didn't watch many Houston games but I don't remember any plays this he was even close to being dirty.

LOL! Give them a towel to cry in. Besides, McCown did a better job than Wentz.

Methinks Philly got rid of the wrong QB?
The boo birds!

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":8ik7uzjj said:
All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.

Russell deals with that at least one time a game, if you run your goin g to get hit and they hit Wilson a lot harder and more frequently.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
mikeak":z1zk02ia said:
It was an illegal play

Technically true, but it was iffy, especially in real time. If the refs even noticed it, it was probably considered incidental contact. Eagles just needed an excuse for losing. Lame.

olyfan63

Reaction score
justafan":2qnwk24w said:
olyfan63":2qnwk24w said:

Every ballcarrier is supposed to be protected and it doesnt really matter what intentions Clowney had. It was helmet to helmet. Thats supposed to be flag.

Fine, share a video example of a similar NFL hit that was flagged, under current rules.
You know, use that ["youtube ] brackets tag thing, post it here, if it exists.
"Supposed to be protected", lol. The only way to protect yourself is not to be a runner against an NFL defense.

Or are you saying the refs "steered" the game towards the Seahawks for once?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
CHawk":qd90vksm said:

Ask your friends how many points Eagles scored in week 12, when Wentz played all game?

OP
OP
CHawk

CHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2qbvoia7 said:
CHawk":2qbvoia7 said:

Ask your friends how many points Eagles scored in week 12, when Wentz played all game?
You can't argue with Eagles fans they just bring you down to their level.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2mjwgiaw said:
mikeak":2mjwgiaw said:
It was an illegal play

Technically true, but it was iffy, especially in real time. If the refs even noticed it, it was probably considered incidental contact. Eagles just needed an excuse for losing. Lame.

I dont disagree. First time I saw it I thought it was legal and didn't see head to head contact

First non-slo video I saw I thought it was incidental

It took a slo-mo video for me to see that he went straight at him head to head

Will be a fine by the NFL but understand why they missed the flag

More understandable than missing the offside or the blatant holds springing multiple eagles runs

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don’t know his full history but he hasn’t looked one but dirty this season and I’d include that play. That was a bang bang play the contact didn’t look malicious at all. If they’d have called a penalty I wouldn’t have complained but I can see why they didn’t as well.

Emotions are understandably high. I can understand any Eagle fan being frustrated at losing their QB there but I don’t think Clowney is dirty

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":d3ezogyy said:
CHawk":d3ezogyy said:

Tney're saying Clowney did this to Wentz in 2018:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/202 ... mccown-nfl

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jerhawk":26fsq5dl said:
Was the hit dirty? It was borderline. Had that been Wilson that got taken out, we would all be upset.

Is he a dirty player? No
I can legitimately, honestly, 100% say I would not have been upset at a player. Wentz had a lot of forward momentum, Clowney hit from behind with very little force; it's the ground that did the damage. That's just bad luck. If it had been Wilson I'd have been upset at the bad luck, not the Eagles player in Clowney's position.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Request, if a fine comes out from the NFL for Clowney, will whoever sees it first post that info here or in a new thread?
It will be interesting to see. My bet is no fine coming, but, hey, I've been wrong before.

kf3339

Reaction score
He was a runner who failed to give himself up. The ref agreed and stated as much. I doubt the league will give out a fine unless they want to look even more stupid than already the case. Just leave it alone.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Adjusting my opinion slightly: From replays, it looks like part of Clowney's intent was to try to strip the ball from behind before Wentz hit the ground. Not a bad idea, and not executed very well, but not a dirty play.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Reaneypark":25lc8a1z said:
No. He’s not dirty. I don’t think Clowney tried to kill shot Wentz. That being said, if it was college football, Clowney would have likely been ejected after a replay review for targeting. I feel for the Philly fans. I really do, but I don’t think Clowney tried to knock out Wentz.

He still could have: "In the NFL, helmet-to-helmet hits are banned, with a penalty of 15 yards for violations. ... In 2017, NFL has adopted the NCAA's "targeting" rules, which will not only penalize players, but will review the play and automatically throw any offenders out from the game."

Either way it doesn't matter what would/could have happened afterwards if they did throw a flag. MCClown was coming in no matter what and they had two shots in the red zone and missed on both.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Borderline penalty IMO. Imagine Wentz was a RB. That never gets called when two players are going to the ground. But sometimes refs give QBs protection even when it’s not in the rules to do so.

That being said, I’ve seen Russ give himself up sliding and been nailed in the head just as hard. No penalty. Refs see it in real time and it almost always seems nasty in slo mo. Real time makes it seem bang bang and incidental.

Nonetheless I’ve seen Clowney drop his head into QBs 3 times this year. Twice in the chest this one in the head. He needs to break that habit or he’ll get more flags. Wouldn’t say he’s dirty, but poorly coached early in his career.