Is Clowney a dirty player?

253hawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":32tqrthf said:
No. Was not intentional.

If Wentz hadn't lunged at the last moment, Clowney hits him in the back/shoulder instead, which I think is what he was trying to do. Still unnecessary, but I don't believe for a second that he was headhunting. Philly fans acting like he's Burfict out there with 15 prior offenses.

blaisio

Reaction score
Ive watched it multiple times and it looks like McDougal starts the tackle and Wentz is going down, however he puts his arm down to brace his fall and possibly get an extra stretch yard. With his arm down, it rotated him to the left and left his head up. Clowney was finishing the tackle as i have seen quite a few times on running backs. Its part of being a physical team. Number one, he doesnt slide, number two he has his head up going to the ground. Doesn't look dirty to me, Wentz ducks his head, Clowney slides over him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1213947362219110401[/tweet]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
justafan":syzor3dp said:
olyfan63":syzor3dp said:
All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.

Every ballcarrier is supposed to be protected and it doesnt really matter what intentions Clowney had. It was helmet to helmet. Thats supposed to be flag.

So was the off sides they didn't call that would have given us a first down . We kicked a field goal because of that and it was blocked. There's always missed calls in these games I thought it was officiated well for the most part. No mention from you of the tackle on Wilson from behind long after he had thrown the ball. That was a cheap shot . The helmet to helmet on Wentz was unfortunate but almost everyone agree's it was incidental and Carson was a ball carrier at that point so Clowney was within his rights to tackle him. Your opinion is noted but not note worthy .

mort

Reaction score
Not dirty, just awkward and unfortunate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
justafan":sfktvn7c said:
Hawkpower":sfktvn7c said:
justafan":sfktvn7c said:
I dont know about his past, he hasnt been dirty here. But that was a dirty hit. Helmet to helmet easy call. I have been pissed because the refs dont protect RW more. Philly fans have a right to be pissed now.

Im glad it was on Wentz and not Wilson.

I dont have a problem with the argument that it should have been a penalty.

But Dirty insinuates that Clowney was hoping to hurt Wentz with malicious intent. Since he has no history of that, what did you see on that play that convinces you he was trying to maliciously hurt Wentz?

IMO he intentionally targeted Wentzes head and lowered his helmet. I would hate to see Wilson go down like that. Everybody would have lost it on that one.Wilson took a shot in the back that should have been called. The league knows the QBs are the lifeblood of most teams but they dont protect them equally.
I hope I am wrong. Its just my opinion.
Yes it's just your opinion and I totally disagree with it.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Full speed doesn't look like much at all. Looks almost like trying to hold up and go over him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/njjet33/status/1214019020741054465[/tweet]

justafan

Reaction score
olyfan63":7012wvh5 said:
justafan":7012wvh5 said:
olyfan63":7012wvh5 said:
All this silliness about rules that apply to a PASSER, when Wentz was a RUNNER who did not give himself up. Clowney is chasing him and trying to make a diving tackle from behind, a type of tackle he made several times this game, including a tackle on McCown from behind. When you are trying to make a tackle like that, it's natural for the player's head to be forward. No dirtiness, and the hit came from an acceleration action that whipped Wentz head into the ground.

If Wentz doesn't want to get hit, he needed to slide and give himself up. End of story.

Every ballcarrier is supposed to be protected and it doesnt really matter what intentions Clowney had. It was helmet to helmet. Thats supposed to be flag.

Fine, share a video example of a similar NFL hit that was flagged, under current rules.
You know, use that ["youtube ] brackets tag thing, post it here, if it exists.
"Supposed to be protected", lol. The only way to protect yourself is not to be a runner against an NFL defense.

Or are you saying the refs "steered" the game towards the Seahawks for once?

How can you argue or need proof that the NFL makes it a point to protect players by flagging helmet to helmet? The helmet rule changed the way the game is taught and coached from little league all the way to the pros. It changed the way game is played . It wasnt steered it just wasnt called.

If a player lowers his head and hit Wilson like that I would be pissed.

xray

Reaction score
That H to H hit was not called so I will accept it ; just like last week the non PI call on Hollister . I works both ways .

Popeyejones

Reaction score
xray":3v0a2gnc said:
That H to H hit was not called so I will accept it ; just like last week the non PI call on Hollister . I works both ways .

Exactly how I feel as well.

They both should have been called. Neither were. That they should have been called doesn't change anything about what has already happened.

ClippedBird

Reaction score
If he wasn't deemed a dirty player before this game, he most certainly will be now. The hit was most definitely cheap and was done for a reason. Carson was already diving to the ground giving himself up. Clowney is a clown and he will get his.

gettyimages-1197715562.jpg

TreeRon

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3ue1pg8x said:
justafan":3ue1pg8x said:
Hawkpower":3ue1pg8x said:
justafan":3ue1pg8x said:
I dont know about his past, he hasnt been dirty here. But that was a dirty hit. Helmet to helmet easy call. I have been pissed because the refs dont protect RW more. Philly fans have a right to be pissed now.

Im glad it was on Wentz and not Wilson.

I dont have a problem with the argument that it should have been a penalty.

But Dirty insinuates that Clowney was hoping to hurt Wentz with malicious intent. Since he has no history of that, what did you see on that play that convinces you he was trying to maliciously hurt Wentz?

IMO he intentionally targeted Wentzes head and lowered his helmet. I would hate to see Wilson go down like that. Everybody would have lost it on that one.Wilson took a shot in the back that should have been called. The league knows the QBs are the lifeblood of most teams but they dont protect them equally.
I hope I am wrong. Its just my opinion.

Balderdash !

Popeyejones

Reaction score
justafan":3n5n6jhr said:
IMO he intentionally targeted Wentzes head and lowered his helmet.

Really impossible to know and it's not like he had time to deliberate (defenders NEVER DO, this is no excuse for him), but the only two options are really:

(1) he slipped and somehow just magically left his feet to be able to target down head first into the back of Wentz's helmet with the crown of his helmet,

or

(2) it is precisely what it looks like.

My issue is that week in and week out after a guy has been tackled and is already going to the ground defenders just reach out with their hands and tag them down. It happens so regularly that we don't even notice it. That is the safe, legal, and smart football play. Rather than reaching his hand out to tag Wentz Clowney is leaving his feet and tucking his shoulder to make primary contact with the crown of his helmet in the back of Wentz's helmet.

You want proof that reaching out and tagging down is what players do in this situation?

Watch Jarran Reed on the VERY SAME PLAY while Clowney is head hunting. :lol: Reed does EXACTLY what everyone else does (reach out to tag down) in the exact same time window that Clowney head hunts.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/seahaw ... cheap-shot

That DOES NOT mean it was pre-meditated or anything, but it's bush league as hell and has absolutely zero place in the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:34853_doh:
Yeah, because the Niners players NEVER do that exact same thing. And the Niners didn't blast Russ over and over again after he slides.

No, it's ONLY the Seahawks who do this kind of thing. My goodness, is it time to put bubble wrap on the players???

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1w700cah said:
:34853_doh:
Yeah, because the Niners players NEVER do that exact same thing. And the Niners didn't blast Russ over and over again after he slides.

No, it's ONLY the Seahawks who do this kind of thing. My goodness, is it time to put bubble wrap on the players???

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're literally making up something that I've never argued and that is entirely beside the point of any of this. It's dumb.

As for no 9er ever doing this, what are you even talking about? I said multiple times when it happened and since last night that I think Kwon Alexander was rightly ejected for helmet to helmet contact this year. :roll:

Get a grip. :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No thanks, it gets old when EVERY time the Hawks win a big game, the excuses start rolling out.
Plus, I like talking smack about the 9ers, and I'm sure it goes the other way. :2thumbs:

classicaaron

Reaction score
not a dirty player at all. I mean wasn't the late hit on Russell much worse. the eagles dude took three full steps and drilled him in the ribs. that was more intentional but yet no one is calling him dirty. you cant judge the character of a player just strictly based on the outcome. its unfortunate he got hurt but that's football. he was running and Clowney got a hit on him which is what every defensive player is paid to do. just a flukey injury.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If someone wants to convince themselves that he all the sudden is a dirty player, have at it.
Good luck with that.