It's Happened - Wilson Traded

Chapow

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2v3xptbf said:
We might as well tank now that we have Drew Lock as our qb.

Our key pieces might as well be traded. Denver had them too. All we can do is get more draft picks for them and start all over. Look, they started Teddy Bridgewater over Lock. There probably won't be a star QB through FB other than Deshawn Watson. Who might not even be available.

If we're going to even try to contend, a realistic possibility right now is Jimmy Garappolo. The guy took the 49ers to one SB and to NFCCG a couple months ago. He clearly outperforms Lock, plus Jimmy has shown that he's a natural mentor to whatever hotshot comes in to take his job. Which won't be this year since we don't have draft picks.

He's the logical choice in FA and we can't compete in draft. Go get this guy.

What? We don't have draft picks?

These are our picks in this draft as of now.

Round one: Pick No. 9 overall (from Broncos)
Round two: Pick No. 40 overall (from Broncos)
Round two: Pick No. 41 overall
Round three: Pick No. 72 overall
Round four: Pick No. 107 overall
Round five: Pick No. 151 overall
Round five: Pick No. 152 overall (from Broncos)
Round six: No picks
Round seven: No. 227 overall

Also, we now have 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks in next years draft (ours and Denver's).

kf3339

Reaction score
This should have happened several years ago in 2019 when the Giants or Miami would have given an even larger Kings ransom for Wilson. But I'm actually happy with the trade and feel the picks and players back can help our team.

It's pretty obvious that our drafts and FA signings have been pretty much pathetic. So maybe this will be the start of a positive rebuild. I hope so.

olyfan63

Reaction score
nanomoz":2p9mw7ok said:
I really hope people watch this. Olsen was only here for a year, but he's pretty candid about saying that Russ was treated like, to use his terms, the JV squad.

Look, this season is going to suck. And Russ is going to have success in Denver. But Russ + Pete had run its course. And if they weren't going to pay him 50 million a year next offseason, they had to make this move.
Thanks for the video link! It was fascinating to hear Greg Olsen's take.

Your take is better headline clickbait, "Russell treated like JV squad QB by Seahawks coaches", lol.

IMO, Olsen did NOT say Russell was treated like the JV squad, what he said is there were limits placed on what the offense could do that puzzled him, like, "what, is this the JV squad?" and why were the coaches ruling out using certain offensive concepts, didn't they feel like the personnel on offense were capable?

Also, Olsen's time with the Seahawks was when Schotty was the OC, so it could very well be quite different under Shane Waldron. Recall that when Schotty was fired, "philosophical differences" were cited as part of the reason. It could be that now Waldron is insisting on using some of those concepts Olsen was referring to, and Russell is resisting them. (My guess)

Also fascinating in the video is Olsen describing his first conversation with Wilson after joining the team, a chalk talk meeting over Zoom, Wilson had it set up as playbook on one side of the screen, whiteboard on the other, talking over 2 minute concepts in detail, just like they were in the huddle. Olsen said he had never experienced that type of thing from his QBs (e.g., Newton) and was a little in awe after the experience.

So, Storyline 1, Russell's version, Carroll and the Hawks limited Russell, and didn't let him be the gunslinger QB he is, and forced him to function more as a game manager. Wilson wants OUT from under that restrictive thumb to a team that will put the ball in his hands, and truly "Let Russ Cook".

Storyline 2, Seahawks coaching braintrust version, we tried LRC, and it was a disaster once teams figured out how to defend him. Russell couldn't make the reads vs 2-High or make timing-based throws. It limited what the offense could do defenses had him figured out and Russell wasn't willing to make the adjustments we wanted from him.

Which storyline is correct? I honestly don't know. I'm rooting for Russell to light it up in Denver. I think they'll get a couple good years out of him. His recent predecessors at Denver QB have set the bar so low that Russell should easily be able to exceed it. Denver has a good D from what I've seen. Let's see if LRC 2.0 is more successful in Denver.

Will be massively entertaining to see which storyline plays out as more true than the other over the next couple years.

Tokadub

Reaction score
nanomoz":7tct2es7 said:
I hope John Clayton eats some serious crow.

For real, John Clayton more or less said "that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my entire career of covering the NFL"...

He was talking about the possibility of Wilson being traded.

Meanwhile myself and many other fans thought it was a very real possibility even if we would have rather seen Pete Carroll go and try things out with a new head coach + Russell Wilson.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Best part? We don’t have to see anymore hype videos an hour before he gets shut out.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
LTH":xgi3pg2b said:
I keep waiting for player reaction from the Seahawks that is going to say a ot about what happened... was there problems in the locker room surrounding Wilson? was it a conflict between Wilson and Carroll, was it a conflict of offensive philosophy?

Ultimately, Russ is not a leader of men. He's not the kind of general that other men will look up to, and blindly trust, when he leads them into battle. He's "a nice guy." It's going to cause locker room problems wherever he goes. When men are forced to follow a leader they don't respect, they get disgruntled.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Well... I don't have much to say.

I knew this team was broken at the start of last pre-season... Which is why I predicted we would go 7-10 (in the pre-season).

I did have some hope that we could replace Carroll and use our dynamite godly QB to make one more run at a Super Bowl...

But here we are...

We have no QB and the guy who should have been gone (Pete Carroll) is in control of a hopeless team that will VERY closely resemble the Denver Broncos BEFORE they had Russell Wilson...?

We are about to experience the trauma of having a bad QB so no matter what you do your team WILL SUCK!!!

There is a small chance that Schneider and Carroll know something I don't know...

Maybe they will find some hot gun slinger that can play up to Wilson's level year 1....

I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT...

Then again they found Wilson in round 3...

MAYBE... JUST MAYBE... they see a guy they can draft this year that will be Wilson 2.0...

That's the only way we won't be sad fans for the next few years...

Or maybe there is some trade underway...

I just want to apologize to all Seahawks fans...

We are in all likelyhood about to go into what they call an "ice age" or a "stone age"...

We might be into 10+ years of trash horrible teams trying to find a QB.

There is a small chance they have a plan to replace Wilson... if not why trade him?

Nickmeyer

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

First I am a Die Hard Broncos Fan and I couldn't be more excited today.

I am super shocked all the people in the thread that seem to be glad Russel was traded to Denver. The Broncos have been in QB Purgatory for 6 years, Russ doesn't even need to come to Denver and win a Super Bowl this year for this trade to be a success for us. A winning record and a Wild Card spot would be enough.

I really think you guys who are glad Russ is gone are going to have a rough 5 or 6 years.

Take care of Shelby Harris there isn't a bigger heart on any team in the league, amazing locker room guy and hard working play hard every play kind of guy. Shelby will be dearly missed in Broncos Country. Fant has been a let down for a 20th overall pick but still has alot of potential. Drew Lock I wish him the best just doubt he will ever be anything more than a Jeff George.

Nickmeyer

Reaction score
Among the NFL’s best

Where Russell Wilson ranks among NFL quarterbacks since he entered the league in 2012:

Games started

1. Matt Ryan, Atlanta 160

2. Wilson 158

Wins

1 Tom Brady, NE-TB 119

2. Wilson 104

Completions

1. Matt Ryan, Atlanta 4,010

8. Wilson 3,079

Pass attempts

1. Tom Brady, NE-TB 5,996

8. Wilson 4,735

Touchdown passes

1 Tom Brady, NE-TB 324

3. Wilson 317

Interceptions

1. Philip Rivers, LAC-Ind 131

16. Wilson 87

Passer rating

1. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City 105.8

5. Wilson 101.8

Times sacked

1. Wilson 427

Game-winning drives

1. Matthew Stafford, Det-LAR 36

2. Wilson 32

from DP: Where new Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson ranks among the NFL’s best since 2012

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":375zgp38 said:
Well, many of you got your wish. Likely the best trade they could have gotten, but I still think they will regret this decision. We shall see. I'm more in shock than anything.
Honestly thought it would be NEXT off season. When that Rodgers announcement came out, you knew his trade value just went up. I wouldn't be surprised if this deal wasn't in place already IF the Bronco's couldn't get Rodgers.
Hearing it's: 3 players, 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders and a 5th rounder - for Russ and a 4th.

I didn't "wish" for this trade, rather unlike a lot of posters, I recognized the reality, that Russell was unhappy here and likely would have been a problem for us had we forced him to stay. Once you accept that as fact, then it only makes sense to trade him now and get what we can for him before his contract is up, while he's healthy, that we don't risk a poor performance in 2022 that would reduce his value, and when we still have control over where he goes. If he was going to leave, I'd much rather see him in Denver than I would San Francisco.

This deal was so complicated with as many players and picks involved that had to have been in the works for weeks, so I think you're right, that there was at least an informal agreement to do a deal like this for some time. They also wouldn't have gone to so much trouble if they didn't have a wink and a nod from Lord Wilson.

Pete and Russell lied to us. Keep 'em in the dark and feed them bull$hit. Some of you bought it hook, line, and sinker and got played for a rube. I didn't call the trade, but I was very skeptical.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Well I did buy what Pete and John were selling last week at the combine. I was a little uneasy about Russ saying the plan was to stay in Seattle and win because I thought it things went badly in 2022 we would be right back to last off-sesason....with less trade value only have a year left on his deal.

If we had continued on with a good track record of drafting and rebuilding I wouldn't feel as gloomy as I do now about the near future and might have even been ok with the trade. Not looking forward to that first interview that ends with "Go Broncos"

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I was shocked when I actually saw this happen. I guess we will see whether this was a PC problem or a Russell problem. I am not optimistic for the future. We are in a very tough league and if Drew Lock is going to be our QB we are in trouble. I have heard they are now looking at Desean Watson. Is this true? Unless we invest in the line I do not care who is back there they are going to get killed. I guess time will tell.

keasley45

Reaction score
olyfan63":2tvfo719 said:
nanomoz":2tvfo719 said:
Storyline 2, Seahawks coaching braintrust version, we tried LRC, and it was a disaster once teams figured out how to defend him. Russell couldn't make the reads vs 2-High or make timing-based throws. It limited what the offense could do defenses had him figured out and Russell wasn't willing to make the adjustments we wanted from him.

Which storyline is correct? I honestly don't know. I'm rooting for Russell to light it up in Denver. I think they'll get a couple good years out of him. His recent predecessors at Denver QB have set the bar so low that Russell should easily be able to exceed it. Denver has a good D from what I've seen. Let's see if LRC 2.0 is more successful in Denver.

Will be massively entertaining to see which storyline plays out as more true than the other over the next couple years.

I think it's hard to objectively look at the coaches tape from the last several years and not conclude that scenario 2 is what happened. The Athletic reported after the '19 or '20 season that there was a major disconnect between what Russ saw himself being able to do and what the Seahawks saw through years of his play and a coach at the time who xhose to remain anonymous in the piece stated flatly that the Hawks front office didnt value Russ nearly as highly as he did himself.

2020 and 2021 was largely an exhibition of everything that is good and bad about Russ. Last year he basically ran what he wanted,, to Pete's shagrin. Pete admitted to not putting the Kakash on what the offense was doing until the last few games of the season and regretting he didn't do it sooner.

What was on tape - spectacular plays that only RW can make, yes. But as noticeable and troubling was what Russ wasn't doing. Simple checks, simple reads, and a stubbornness that prioritized big plays over easier ones within the context of the called play. That's not opinion. You can watch it game In and game out and see the frustration at the results on Pete's face most post games. I think the staff got to the point where they couldn't continue to just have the offense be this off scripted show run by the QB week in and week out. When Russ was running the hurry up and dictating more what he wanted by virtue of the fact defenses couldnt substitute and he was free to 'create' on his own, he was magic. The problem was the hole being dug up to that point when we struggled to possess / move the ball and the fact that that style of play pretty much negates any benefit strategy brings to bear - ie - the only consistent 'strategy' is Russ playing his way, often regardless of where the ball is designed to go.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
WIshy washy answer but I think both are true:

Is Pete's philosophy of run the ball, play good D and field position past it's time and you can't win with that anymore vs the dynamic offences we see now? I think so.

Does Russ have some limitations on making the quick throws and will run himself into sacks or not take the easy checkdowns? Yep.

It it was all Pete and Russ can run a conventional offence with the quick throws etc, look out. Denver is going to be on fire this year. They will probably will be explosive and fun to watch with him scrambling and throwing deep to those receivers. It will be interesting to see if the same issues are there vs teams that take away the deep stuff.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
Great news!

It was time for serious changes for the Seahawks. They already changed offensive and defensive coordinators multiple times, tried to sign top free agents to fill gaps, but the NFC West has passed the Seahawks by, so a rebuild was needed.

I'm excited for the Seahawks, although some growing pains may happen for a year or two, I think the Wilson trade was good overall. A little surprised by releasing Bobby Wagner though, that feels like how they did Sherman, but Bobby was more of a class act.

I think they should of traded Wilson after the Super Bowl loss and things might of been a little different. In any event, the day of reckoning has finally come.

It will be fun to see how Pete fixes the QB position and how he positions the team to be a contender again.

Great news! R. Wilson helped get the Seahawks a Super Bowl, so wish him the best in Colorado.

Seattle Seahawks are under construction, can't wait until the rebuild is finished.

keasley45

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2sm3i5p7 said:
WIshy washy answer but I think both are true:

Is Pete's philosophy of run the ball, play good D and field position past it's time and you can't win with that anymore vs the dynamic offences we see now? I think so.

Does Russ have some limitations on making the quick throws and will run himself into sacks or not take the easy checkdowns? Yep.

It it was all Pete and Russ can run a conventional offence with the quick throws etc, look out. Denver is going to be on fire this year. They will probably will be explosive and fun to watch with him scrambling and throwing deep to those receivers. It will be interesting to see if the same issues are there vs teams that take away the deep stuff.

It wasn't JUST about running the ball. Pete allowed the offense to gonthe way Russ wanted last year and expressed frustration at not taking the pass plays that were there. He let Russ have his way in 2020 until he showed an inability to diagnose and beat coverages. That same inability was evident in 2021with Pete pretty hands off, stewing at the offense he was seeing.

Yeah, he wants to run the ball more but I don't think it's a cloud of dust and punt series in and series out. He gave over to an offense that leaned pass the majority of the season but the way we were passing (or werent) was as much an issue as anything.

Put this way, if Russ could consistently beat the coverages we were getting, I think he's still here there's no rift, and everyone's happy.

Pete's answer for RUSS not beating the coverages was running more.

I doubt that if we land D Watson, who in his last year completed 70% of his passes and threw for more than 4800 yards with 33 tds and 7 ints, we relegate him to passenger status. By all accounts, we are in position to move on him. If Pete just wanted someone to hand the ball to, he wouldn't be in the picture.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the trade, I was tired of seeing Russ blame everyone for key losses and then smile and nod on his ******* podcast after a bitter defeat, he was more concerned about building his brand then actually trying to win, his decision making has really went south the last couple of years as well. Yes we're going to severely suck for the next few years but that's the aches of a rebuild, it needed to happen. We weren't going to win with him here and his entire "Go Hawks!" schtick was a farce ever since he pulled that "4 Teams I'll go to" shit with the front office. Pete definitely has alot of blame to take and I want his ass gone too but lets not paint Russ as innocent, he needed to go and honestly I'm happy the Seahawks didn't bow to the demands like the Packers did. As far as Lock goes he's trade bait IMO.

Boycie

Reaction score
Nickmeyer":2yz07zs7 said:
Good Morning All,

First I am a Die Hard Broncos Fan and I couldn't be more excited today.

I am super shocked all the people in the thread that seem to be glad Russel was traded to Denver. The Broncos have been in QB Purgatory for 6 years, Russ doesn't even need to come to Denver and win a Super Bowl this year for this trade to be a success for us. A winning record and a Wild Card spot would be enough.

I really think you guys who are glad Russ is gone are going to have a rough 5 or 6 years.

Take care of Shelby Harris there isn't a bigger heart on any team in the league, amazing locker room guy and hard working play hard every play kind of guy. Shelby will be dearly missed in Broncos Country. Fant has been a let down for a 20th overall pick but still has alot of potential. Drew Lock I wish him the best just doubt he will ever be anything more than a Jeff George.

John63, is that you?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":11865tf7 said:
Any player reactions on social media?? Like our own players?? Seems like crickets...

Older players seemed to be rooting for PC > RW as more important to the Seahawks. It also seemed like RW and his personal life had this rotation of players he was buddy buddy with and suddenly they're not hanging out anymore and similar to what you just mentioned not a lot of public cries for him either by players. It really leads one to believe he may be considered phony and players may not like him.

There's an awesome TedTalk out there talking about the Navy Seals and how they select their teams people and splitting up quadrants of trust vs skill. Obviously people with the highest trust and highest skill is the most sought after, people with the least trust and skill is the least sought after. BUT between the high kill but no trust vs the less skill and high trust, they pick the high trust less skilled person over the high skilled less trustworthy person. Between all the rumors/speculations of "phony" and "not black enough" and all that jazz, even though as adults we look at it and say "why should that matter?" try to think about that stuff in your 20s-30s...it mattered back then and that's the ages of all the players in the locker room.

Latest posts