Pete would still be coaching if he traded up for ....

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Texans, Packers, Lions, Tampa all have very average defenses. So half the field doesn’t have great defenses
Tampa Bay is probably a top 10 defense and Texans is a top half as well. Not being 'great' is not the same as being 'crap'. Only Detroit has a bad defense in that group... and their defense was still better than ours. The only team as bad ours defensively in the playoffs were the Eagles and we saw how that went.

The Seattle line was bad. The point is so was the Texans line. Stroud is also a ROOKIE. You taking Geno over Stroud?
The Houston line was bad at run blocking, not pass blocking. They were top 10 in Pass Block Win Rate per ESPN, top 10 in pocket time, and were middle of the pack on pressure rate despite their QB having one of the longest average time-to-throws in the league.

He absolutely had better pass blocking than Geno.

As for who I'm taking: If we had a chance to have Stroud under contract, him. He's a rookie with a huge upside.

But Geno definitely had a better year than Stroud would have here. Forget the fact that he would get sacked to death because he holds onto the ball forever... he would go from one of the easiest schedules to one of the toughest. We played 10 games against playoff teams. Houston? 3.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tampa Bay is probably a top 10 defense and Texans is a top half as well. Not being 'great' is not the same as being 'crap'. Only Detroit has a bad defense in that group... and their defense was still better than ours. The only team as bad ours defensively in the playoffs were the Eagles and we saw how that went.

The Houston line was bad at run blocking, not pass blocking. They were top 10 in Pass Block Win Rate per ESPN, top 10 in pocket time, and were middle of the pack on pressure rate despite their QB having one of the longest average time-to-throws in the league.

As for who I'm taking: If we had a chance to have Stroud under contract, him. He's a rookie with a huge upside.

But Geno definitely had a better year than Stroud would have here. Forget the fact that he would get sacked to death because he holds onto the ball forever... he would go from one of the easiest schedules to one of the toughest. We played 10 games against playoff teams. Houston? 3.

This is a fantastic post Although I don’t agree with your premise but I don’t have the energy for a debate at the moment lol. It’s a good reasonable take though I’ll concede that. But feel like we’re talking about two different things here?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Should Pete sell the farm for Stroud, and even if Stroud may not have a better season than Geno, but Stroud brings hope and future. Fans love hope and future.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seattle line was bad. The point is so was the Texans line. Stroud is also a ROOKIE. You taking Geno over Stroud?
"Geno over Stroud", that's not really a serious question...IS IT??
What I am saying, is that Geno isn't the 'Garbage QB' that you are trying to make him out to be.
Would have LOVED, LOVED, LOVED to have gotten CJ Stroud, but the price???, The O-Line???, Waldron???, The Seahawks Defense???? OMG!!!, I HIGHLY DOUBT that Stroud would have played the entire season without being injured, and I know for an actual fact, that he would not have upgraded Seattle's Sucky Defense.
So it's not a question of saying that A YOUNG CJ Stroud wouldn't have more upside at this juncture, but it absolutely IS more about not setting him up to FAIL with a subpar Offensive Line....Ryan Leaf???

Ozzy

Reaction score
"Geno over Stroud", that's not really a serious question...IS IT??
What I am saying, is that Geno isn't the 'Garbage QB' that you are trying to make him out to be.
Would have LOVED, LOVED, LOVED to have gotten CJ Stroud, but the price???, The O-Line???, Waldron???, The Seahawks Defense???? OMG!!!, I HIGHLY DOUBT that Stroud would have played the entire season without being injured, and I know for an actual fact, that he would not have upgraded Seattle's Sucky Defense.
So it's not a question of saying that A YOUNG CJ Stroud wouldn't have more upside at this juncture, but it absolutely IS more about not setting him up to FAIL with a subpar Offensive Line....Ryan Leaf???

Scutter you’re making stuff up. I think Geno is a very good QB and have said so numerous times.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Should Pete sell the farm for Stroud, and Stroud may not have a better season than Geno, but Stroud brings hope and future. Fans love hope and future.
That all sounds 'Peachy-Keen' & all... but Unrealistic.
IF some of y'all do not like GENO, fine, but a make believe "Sell The Farm" for CJ Stroud would have done NOTHING to keep Pete from getting shit-canned....You and I both know I'm Truthin' on this.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scutter you’re making stuff up. I think Geno is a very good QB and have said so numerous times.
You did ask if I preferred "Geno Over Stroud", right??, so where am I "Making Stuff Up"????
The POINT is, I have my doubts that CJS would have faired nearly as well under the same circumstances that Geno did, and I actually believe that CJ would not have progressed as well as he did with the Texans, had he been thrown to the dogs.

knownone

Reaction score
So Knownone is making the argument that a rookie is virtually the same as a 10 year vet? Are you trying to say that Stroud is great or that Geno is playing like a rookie?

my take is that either you think we have talent on the team and the coaching sucks or we don’t have talent and the players suck. Yes, there is an in between. I think drafting Stroud would have indicated that PC gave a crap about the long term success of the Seahawks but as to immediate success I have no confidence that PC would have developed Stroud in any significant way.
I'm not making that argument. I'm saying that based on the evidence we have, there is no reason to believe Seattle would have performed better with Stroud than Geno because their production was virtually identical, and Seattle would have given up assets to get Stroud. That's not a qualitative assessment of either guy. I'm not saying they are the same QB, have the same upside, etc. Again, the analytics show they performed at roughly the same level. I am stating precisely that and nothing more.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm not making that argument. I'm saying that based on the evidence we have, there is no reason to believe Seattle would have performed better with Stroud than Geno because their production was virtually identical, and Seattle would have given up assets to get Stroud. That's not a qualitative assessment of either guy. I'm not saying they are the same QB, have the same upside, etc. Again, the analytics show they performed at roughly the same level. I am stating precisely that and nothing more.
Simple Truth.^^

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Geno was a pro bowl QB last season, he played at or above league average this season. Geno was also pretty clutch.

Is Geno the second coming of Montana, Brady or Manning? No

Is Geno trash? Absolutely not.

If we traded up and draft a QB in 2022, the draftee played at Geno's level for the last two seasons, 12s will be all fired up, and Pete will still be our head coach.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You did ask if I preferred "Geno Over Stroud", right??, so where am I "Making Stuff Up"????
The POINT is, I have my doubts that CJS would have faired nearly as well under the same circumstances that Geno did, and I actually believe that CJ would not have progressed as well as he did with the Texans, had he been thrown to the dogs.

Are you trolling? You said I claimed Geno was trash, I clearly told you he wasn’t. Come one man

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Should Pete sell the farm for Stroud, and even if Stroud may not have a better season than Geno, but Stroud brings hope and future. Fans love hope and future.
The problem here is: Stroud wouldn't look like Stroud if he was on our team. Stroud looked good this year, no doubt. He's a rookie who performed at essentially a top 15 level while our guy who did similar has been in the league for a decade.

But our vet did it behind a much worse offensive line for a team facing a much tougher schedule. Stroud fell into a great spot for him. His future looks bright because of the situation he landed into. He wouldn't be in the same boat with us.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Geno was a pro bowl QB last season, he played at or above league average this season. Geno was also pretty clutch.

Is Geno the second coming of Montana, Brady or Manning? No

Is Geno trash? Absolutely not.

If we traded up and draft a QB in 2022, the draftee played at Geno's level for the last two seasons, 12s will be all fired up, and Pete will still be our head coach.

I think most people view Geno in that 12-15 range which is what he is and that’s a good slightly better than average QB. Nothing wrong with that especially after a decade of not getting a chance.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Are you trolling? You said I claimed Geno was trash, I clearly told you he wasn’t. Come one man
Trolling?????? OMG PNW25, Again, YOU asked me if I "Preferred Geno Over Stroud" did you not?...This insinuates that you believe that Stroud would have faired better than Geno Smith...YOUR assessment, not mine, your words, NOT MINE.

Ozzy

Reaction score
For the third time. You said I claimed Geno was trash. I obviously didn’t and yet you keep ignoring that for obvious reasons.

hawker84

Reaction score
What good is a first round QB when your OLine is garbage? Been asking that question ever since the draft. What good is a DB, WR, or QB when your trenches are as soft as a down blanket? 🤷

12forlife

Reaction score
Would love to have Stroud but I fail to see how him on this team makes the D any better. In fact without Witherspoon the D is worse unless you think we would win some shootouts
Spoon is a stud, but he isn't winning games. Having Stroud @ QB with our skill players, yes he wins us several games o er what Geno provided, just on turnovers alone.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The problem here is: Stroud wouldn't look like Stroud if he was on our team. Stroud looked good this year, no doubt. He's a rookie who performed at essentially a top 15 level while our guy who did similar has been in the league for a decade.

But our vet did it behind a much worse offensive line for a team facing a much tougher schedule. Stroud fell into a great spot for him. His future looks bright because of the situation he landed into. He wouldn't be in the same boat with us.
The Texans a good situation? When stroud was drafted he had no real receivers and his line was very shakey all year. He had a bunch of rookies that he was throwing the ball to.

Stroud would have 3 really good receivers, two of which are vets. We have much better TEs than the Texans do as well. We have three capable pass catchers at the TE position. The Seahawks at skill positions on offense are amongst the best in the NFL.

CJ Stroud would play at least as good as Geno here. As the season progresses he got better and got the ball out quicker as well.

The thing with CJ Stroud is that he provides a strong prognosis for the future and sense of direction for the franchise. The fact that he’s playing as well as a 10 year vet as a rookie is a sign that bodes well for his future.

A CJ Stroud character gives the franchise a sense of direction, which I’d argue would have given Carroll more leeway and a longer leash to work with.

Witherspoon is good, but a QB is much more important.

The issue with Carroll is his teams have lacked direction and a sense of forward movement for quite some time now. While we have done better on the player acquisition side, the results haven’t been there. That’s ultimately why he got canned.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
You're right, Pete would probably still be the coach if he somehow traded up for Stroud, just like how I wouldn't be on my third wife if the first two didn't leave me.

Genuine question, why do you hate Pete so much? I get actual hate vibes from you. It's always insults and celebrating he's gone. Are you at all grateful for the Super Bowl, or did you not enjoy it because it was won by a guy you hate? Genuinely interested.

I can understand thinking it was time for a change and that Pete wasn't the right coach for the team anymore. What I don't understand is your utter loathing of a guy who led the team to the most wins in franchise history.
Guys like fade/Stanton don't like their team winning unless the team is playing the way they've endorsed and preached about to their flock. If you've passing yourself off as an expert whose desperate to break into the actual sports media (Stanton, he and fade may be the same person), you need that validation.

They absolutely loathe Pete because he won for too long. They had to constantly "reorganize" their arguments because the bottoming out never came. They eventually had to move the goal posts all the way to the ever popular, "he'll never win another SB" prediction. You know, the prediction that has the best odds of just about any you can make.

I was ready for a change for many reasons. The most of which was to hopefully hit the restart button on all the tired and ridiculous narratives that have reverberated in the idiot echo chamber for the last 5 years, but alas.......It's gonna be a fun next couple of seasons. It'll be nice to have some new narratives to quibble over, even though they'll be spawned from the same group of morons posing as experts that get parroted endlessly by their many sycophants.

You may have noticed the newest iteration? Offensive minded coach and the various talking points that go with it. As if any OC is guaranteed to be a better coach than all potential candidates who aren't.

It's gonna be awesome.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Yes. Offenses near the top of the league in passing frequency are always the ones that are dumbed down for their dumb quarterback.

Brilliant.
It's amazing isn't it. I'm some of these people can actually feed themselves.