Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
94Smith":o2nvdbk6 said:
Appyhawk":o2nvdbk6 said:
There is also an article posted documenting that the Niners were first to submit an offer for Adams, and that offer included a first round pick.
Someone isn't telling the truth.
Doesn't matter now. Adam's is ours. We go on from here and everyone has to deal with the ramifications of that, including the Niners.

Did that article quote Lynch directly? Man you guys must think it is a slight that they did not call, but it would have been damn near impossible to fit Adams in with all the contracts that are coming due next year and the SS we have is not bad, just has been injury prone.

IIRC it did not quote Lynch, but included interviews with member/s of the Jets FO regarding the offer. Other articles delved into Niners thought process on valuing getting Adams if for no other reason than to keep him from going to Seattle. But all this stuff is now water under the bridge. We need to focus on moving on to the next step of making our team better. On our part I gotta think Adams will make up far more than the 2" we came up short last year, especially if we can get Clowney back to decorate the Niners offensive backfield.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1288538326568321027[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1288539416525299712[/tweet]

poly1274

Reaction score
DJrmb":1a9sm1o0 said:
Why are people talking about having Adams only 1 year? As far as I've seen his 5th year option was already activated so he's under contract for 2020 and 2021. Plus they could then possibly franchise him and get a 3rd year if push came to shove. I don't think they want to do that and that could get a little hairy if he doesn't take that well, but it is an option. At minimum he's a Seahawk for 2 years before he starts making his big money.

In the past the Seahawk franchise had people decide to do a holdout so that hey can get paid. (Wagner, Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett? ) Etc.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
So by Petes own admission he is trading the future of this franchise and betting that their draft picks would be low (no sure thing) for the chance at a great player. Never mind the fact he was already a malcontent at the first franchise he was with and was forcing his way out. Plus he is only under contract for 2 more years and would likely hold out the second year if they did not sign him to a huge offer.
I have not changed my thoughts on this trade at all. It was a massive overpay for a damned strong safety. We payed more than what Chicago did for Khalil Mack and they already had him signed to an extension before that trade.
San Fransisco was right in thinking what they were asking was way too much for a player who wants a max contract at a non premuim position.

jmahon316

Reaction score
So let me begin by saying I've watched a lot of film on him and have considered all aspects.

With that being said, YES it was a little extreme to trade 2-First Round picks and a Third round pick for this guy.

HOWEVER, when you consider the trade value for him combining we wouldn't keep McDougald past this year, it kind of makes sense.

This is how Carroll builds his LOB v 2.0. This is the safety equivalent of B Wagz in their respective positions. Could you imagine the best of two key positions on Defense being on the same team?!? The only thing making this trade the ULTIMATE trade is the fact that Dunbar could possibly miss this season. This could literally be one of the best secondaries in ALL OF THE NFL, including the LOB v 1.0. I was skeptical and very dismissive of this trade considering what we gave up originally, but I'm getting more and more excited about this as time passes...

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I think one of the excellent points made in the video is that the 2020 college season may/will be impacted by Covid-19. We gave up one pick and moved down with another in a draft where teams may have to pick blind because they can't properly evaluate the players on the field. If you ever wanted a crap-shoot draft, 2021 is potentially going to be the strangest draft in the history of the NFL.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3lf2agy9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1288538326568321027[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1288539416525299712[/tweet]

Seems a long way to say "they took away Dunbar and we can't develop these raw safety projects we drafted last year with COVID the way it is, so we had to splurge".

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I know that's he's on his best behaviour and it's the "honeymoon period" but watching the video interview with Adams on Seahawks.com has me really happy to have him join the team and excited to see him play.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Natethegreat":18876kqu said:
So by Petes own admission he is trading the future of this franchise...
Pretty sure nobody said that, but if you actually heard it please provide the quote. Hyperbole is one thing, but attributing it to somebody else is over the line.

Natethegreat":18876kqu said:
... and betting that their draft picks would be low
John Schneider said this, and he prefaced it with humility. In any case, it has been nine seasons since we made a selection before #27. Vegas currently projects the #25 selection for the Hawks in 2021 if teams finish in order of their current betting odds.

Sure, anything "could" happen but when you are making decisions it's important to base on them on reasonable projections of the future and not simply worst case/best case scenarios which are less likely to occur. Forecasts should include all possibilities weighted by the probabilities that they will occur, and the 2021 Seahawks draft pick forecast is currently mid 20s.

thisguyissogood

Reaction score
New to this site.. My thoughts on the Jamal Adams trade ..
So many experts claiming we paid too much .. I see it differently .. Everyone knows it was going to take at least a first round draft pick and more to get Jamal .. a First round pick and a 3rd in 2021 seems reasonable .. remember Seattle was not the only team looking at him .. the trade had to interest the Jets over other offers ..
Throwing in Bradley Mcdougald made sense .. his contract owed this year was 3.6 million Jamal will be playing on his rookie contract this year 2020 which is 3.59 million .. essentially a wash .. Leaving cap space for JS to negotiate for other deals (Clowney?) (Griffen?) (Brown?) (Gordon?)

How I see this .. a 1st and a 3rd in 2021 is the price of doing business .. McDougald saved cap space

If you are going to argue about over payment ... The 2022 1st rounder might qualify but even then we also get their 2022 4th rounder! all of their picks will be LATE FIRST ROUNDERS in the high 20's

All of this for a Hall of fame potential talent?

You need to Thank JS .. we stole this deal right in front of the entire NFL ..

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
thisguyissogood":861y7pjh said:
New to this site.. My thoughts on the Jamal Adams trade ..
So many experts claiming we paid too much .. I see it differently .. Everyone knows it was going to take at least a first round draft pick and more to get Jamal .. a First round pick and a 3rd in 2021 seems reasonable .. remember Seattle was not the only team looking at him .. the trade had to interest the Jets over other offers ..
Throwing in Bradley Mcdougald made sense .. his contract owed this year was 3.6 million Jamal will be playing on his rookie contract this year 2020 which is 3.59 million .. essentially a wash .. Leaving cap space for JS to negotiate for other deals (Clowney?) (Griffen?) (Brown?) (Gordon?)

How I see this .. a 1st and a 3rd in 2021 is the price of doing business .. McDougald saved cap space

If you are going to argue about over payment ... The 2022 1st rounder might qualify but even then we also get their 2022 4th rounder! all of their picks will be LATE FIRST ROUNDERS in the high 20's

All of this for a Hall of fame potential talent?

You need to Thank JS .. we stole this deal right in front of the entire NFL ..

:greetingsearthling: Good post. I appreciate someone coming in with something other than criticism, because they've thought clearly about many aspects of the trade.

There is certainly a "wait and see" part of analyzing the details after we see what football even looks like this year (both college and pro), and what Adams does for us. But the draft may end up being a non-event next year, so we could even come out winners without picks!

misfit

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2fts1sds said:
So by Petes own admission he is trading the future of this franchise and betting that their draft picks would be low (no sure thing) for the chance at a great player. Never mind the fact he was already a malcontent at the first franchise he was with and was forcing his way out. Plus he is only under contract for 2 more years and would likely hold out the second year if they did not sign him to a huge offer.
I have not changed my thoughts on this trade at all. It was a massive overpay for a damned strong safety. We payed more than what Chicago did for Khalil Mack and they already had him signed to an extension before that trade.
San Fransisco was right in thinking what they were asking was way too much for a player who wants a max contract at a non premuim position.
Safety is not kicker.
I haven't seen the safety position so disregarded until this trade

mikeak

Reaction score
mikeak":2afv5oen said:
Seriously how do we not have a new deal in place? Almost zero chance he plays under his rookie 5th year deal. He will sit out. Only chance he doesn't is if Covid ends up crashing everything long term.

I mean the picks are steep payment but imagine if he plays one season on this.... And heck it is a season that may not even be played!!!!

Yes I hate that we are finding ourselves in a contentious situation, but just a reminder that there were quite a few of us in this thread that did NOT understand a blockbuster deal with a disgruntled star without a deal in place for an extension. It never made sense. We are now going to be held hostage by our picks traded away and are in a very weak negotiation position even if he doesn't end up sitting out this year.