O-Line

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":m3pzbscr said:
I'm just wondering if money is that big of a deal for Clowney. Britt will have to take a LOT LESS to remain, and I still think if the decide to keep him, we draft a center. It would be really smart to do so now.

Guard is so up in the air, just draft one of the good ones coming out and we have Fluker for one more year. Pocic is what?...injured?, reliable< a G? a C?, what the hell do we have with this guy???

Iupati, see ya. Fant is a must sign IMO. Ifedi, see ya.

I agree with all of this except even though I would like to keep Fant, I doubt we can afford him with Brown still here at $11M. If Brokung is still making $13M+ (which he is), Fant will get someone to pay $10M minimum for a left tackle. An average L tackle is making $12M now. He has played well enough filling in there to demand that kindof $$ IMO. He will be 28 by seasons start and I doubt he takes a discount to play RT and he has no experience there either.

Also, we have the fewest signed players of any team right now so the cap space is a bit of a mirage at the moment until we start to fill key positions that are now open.

Sad to say, but I think it's bye George. :(

Seymour

Reaction score
Pretty certain they are. That is a major obvious reason they hired Hutch to scout for them IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":2j5wvq6y said:
Largent80":2j5wvq6y said:
Not a single person on the o-line has been able to stay healthy,

Ifedi
Health has been a concern. Hyperbole is not really helpful. :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Top 5 linemen ranked by team snaps ......... ***

# 1 Ifedi ........... 1197 ....... more snaps than any other player ...... the iron man in 2019.
# 6 Iupati ......... 1092
#11 Fluker ......... 922
#13 Brown ......... 818
#19 Hunt ............ 654

*** Edited: Added source credit >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/snap-counts?team=SEA&week=ALL&position=ALL&year=2019&op=Submit&form_build_id=form-dBFck5Y19Dh409e6mz41dMMnv-uP3OTp8ZM950jaCPk&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":228sws3q said:
Top 5 linemen ranked by team snaps .........

# 1 Ifedi ........... 1197 ....... more snaps than any other player ...... the iron man in 2019.
#11 Fluker ......... 922
#13 Brown ......... 818

Just because he was on the field doesn't mean he was playing RT, sometimes it was Matador, other times a revolving door, and still more a open window, he is a great actor.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":1to1tnq3 said:
Jville":1to1tnq3 said:

#11 Fluker ......... 922
#13 Brown ......... 818

Just because he was on the field doesn't mean he was playing RT, sometimes it was Matador, other times a revolving door, and still more a open window, he is a great actor.

That's an opinion not shared by Mike Solari. Solari kept his iron man on the field all season long from start to finish.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1jqnysj9 said:
chris98251":1jqnysj9 said:
Jville":1jqnysj9 said:

#11 Fluker ......... 922
#13 Brown ......... 818

That's an opinion not shared by Mike Solari. Solari kept his iron man on the field all season long from start to finish.

Iron man can rust, I wonder what Wilson feels like when that DE or LB comes thru untouched from the right side and he has to turtle.

Glad your up close and personal with Mike to share that thought however.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I for one, would be happy with Ifedi gone, but not Fant. He could man that spot. They should give it to him but there is FA then the draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
+1, enough with Ifedi. Hopefully he gets a massive contract somewhere else, will bring back a nice comp pick.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The reason I like Fant is that he's a lot more athletic and is versatile. He can play either tackle, even mpve in to guard or out to TE. Makes for a GREAT tackle eligible option. It's really hard to find guys who can do all that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":wm3g6q42 said:
The reason I like Fant is that he's a lot more athletic and is versatile. He can play either tackle, even mpve in to guard or out to TE. Makes for a GREAT tackle eligible option. It's really hard to find guys who can do all that.

Fant's a UFA, so do you really want to spend precious cap bringing back a guy who was oft injured and never solidified himself as a starter?

Don't get me wrong, as a 6th blocking TE/OL? He's been great, but I'd be nervous as hell committing any real cap space to signing him to a long term deal.

IMO Fant was a luxury that you could easily replace with a younger version with a 5th or 6th round pick to play that 6th blocking OL/TE scheme position. No need to commit cap dollars.

Jville

Reaction score
George Fant .............. 549 snaps in 2019 (ranked 22nd on team) of which 476 snaps were with the offensive unit. A conversion project that needed time to develop a role.

I'm inclined to avoid underestimating the value of versatile players who can line up in multiple positions. Along those lines, I'm encouraged by the smart play of Jamarco Jones at multiple positions. He may not be as athletic as Fant. But, Jones was a ready made selection whose development proved to be on track in 2019.

I see more up side for both Fant and Jones.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Jones has "potential". Fant is finally getting it, and he's huge and athletic/versatile....Pretty hard to replace those traits in the draft be it early and especially later, not going to happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2yhl80ur said:
Jones has "potential". Fant is finally getting it, and he's huge and athletic/versatile....Pretty hard to replace those traits in the draft be it early and especially later, not going to happen.

Maybe on cheap year to year deals, but when we might have three starting spots on the line to draft and spend free agent money on (RT, center and LG), giving a backup a long term contract who's primary role is a 6th blocking lineman doesn't seem wise.

Now if we can draft the next RT, restructure Britt's contract and only have to find a LG? Sure, I'm all in for bringing Fant back.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of interest Fant will get in free agency.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
With the insane needs on the DL, we need to try and minimize what we need on OL. Britt?...Fluker is signed. Brown is signed. Pocic, Jones, Iupati?....what do we have here?...Ifedi, GTFO.

This unit is a s bad as DL......were in doo-doo territory here.

Jville

Reaction score
Addressing team building at the center position .......................

The Seahawks offensive line currently ranks 20th in cap cost. There is no pressing cap need to weaken the competition at center. A restructure of Justin Britt's contract thru contract extension is inviting. His resume prior to injury should be helpful as it speaks for itself. He's well on his way for a successful rehab as the team's leader of the offensive line.

Ethan Pocic is also under contract and in rehab. Some may think his snaps and appearances may be headed in the wrong direction. But, he still retains value as a versatile backup and potential competitor for a starting role. Ethan is still only 24 going on 25 years old.

Joey Hunt is an unrestricted free agent. Although there has been talk about up tempo and speculation about hurry up, I think there are other opportunities out there with offenses featuring guys under center who are already there and less prone to extend plays. Player agents tend to speculate on how their clients fit in with different rosters. Joey's choice might surprise some in that regard. If Joey moves on, I'll miss his fighting spirit.

Developmental prospect Kyle Fuller presents a real contrast with Joey in that while Joey has the shortest length ..... where as big Kyle Fuller has the longest arms. Pad level and quickness will be of interest come July and August.

It is certainly reasonable to anticipate that they are looking for a 5th center position candidate.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I disagree on Center. There are so many good NFL calibre Centers in the draft this year that it would be the most foolish ignorance to ignore the most OL importance and not draft one. I could give a rip about Britt or Hunt. We need to think of the now and more importantly THE FUTURE. Get a top notch center in this draft...it's there for the taking...take it.

Jville

Reaction score
The day may come when we all can actually have a discussion about the various positions of the offensive line and a discussion about it's collective whole.

But, clearly that day is not today :229031_shrug: