OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

LTH

Reaction score
I see your guys point but I don't see anything that directly points to scheme or coaching what ever you want to call it... It very well could be everytime they call a play to diss that the QB checks out of the play because of the D coverage that he see's ... it could be execution... it could be a number of different issue depending on what's going on in the game...it could be a simple as the number of times they want to pass the ball vs run the ball...

EDIT:

As far as scheme goes it feels to me the way they have been using the TE is VERY effective... I don't see that they are scheming the TE Poorly at all. its just they dont get enough touches and that might be because of the run pass ratio or because they don't want to take touches away from the play makers...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The perfect example of this was the Giants game last year. They flat out would NOT allow the long pass. Do you think that Pete and the offense would take what was given to them? Short passing game? No. They didn't even try. It was maddening. IF a defense decides to take something away, adjust and take what the defense is giving you.

Look at the Tenn. game. Hawks up 15 in the 2nd half. Tenn. decided to adjust and won the game. I am not saying Pete isn't a good coach at all. I just think overall, this team gets outcoached a LOT. Just my opinion.
Sitting in the stands, I shouldn't be able to tell people what the next play is going to be. This team has a ton of talent on offense, no reason to be ignoring guys like Everett and Dis.

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3a9ftlzg said:
The perfect example of this was the Giants game last year. They flat out would NOT allow the long pass. Do you think that Pete and the offense would take what was given to them? Short passing game? No. They didn't even try. It was maddening. IF a defense decides to take something away, adjust and take what the defense is giving you.

Look at the Tenn. game. Hawks up 15 in the 2nd half. Tenn. decided to adjust and won the game. I am not saying Pete isn't a good coach at all. I just think overall, this team gets outcoached a LOT. Just my opinion.
Sitting in the stands, I shouldn't be able to tell people what the next play is going to be. This team has a ton of talent on offense, no reason to be ignoring guys like Everett and Dis.

I would like to see the TE get some more touches.. that being said, I would like to know from Pete's perspective why they are not.. but I get the feeling thats not going to happen.. which leaves it open to speculation... and you are certainly welcome to have an opinion on the subject everybody else does LOL

I don't see it being scheme with the TE's but that doesn't mean I'm right just means i don't see it... I also don't sit in the stands where you can see the whole play develop I miss a lot watching on TV...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. The team in general just feels off this year. I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed. Oh well, gonna' enjoy the bye week and get ready for GB. With or without he who think he's above rules.

Have a great weekend. Go Hawks :irishdrinkers:

seabowl

Reaction score
RiverDog":3rfm7fuz said:
seabowl":3rfm7fuz said:
AKNFidel":3rfm7fuz said:
OBJ isn’t that good, still reaping the fame of a phenomenal catch a few years ago. Do you really think he’ll accept WR3 duties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take off the glove and he has no shot at making that catch. Could you imagine if Largent or Rice had the gloves that they have today?

You must have seen the same interview with Kenny Easley as I did. He said that if Largent were wearing gloves that he could have caught that pass "with one finger".

I did not see the interview but to me it would be common sense based on SL's abilities at catchig a football.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LTH":399n4d3i said:
I see your guys point but I don't see anything that directly points to scheme or coaching what ever you want to call it... It very well could be everytime they call a play to diss that the QB checks out of the play because of the D coverage that he see's ... it could be execution... it could be a number of different issue depending on what's going on in the game...it could be a simple as the number of times they want to pass the ball vs run the ball...

EDIT:

As far as scheme goes it feels to me the way they have been using the TE is VERY effective... I don't see that they are scheming the TE Poorly at all. its just they dont get enough touches and that might be because of the run pass ratio or because they don't want to take touches away from the play makers...

LTH

The TE been underutilized since Zach Miller left the Seahawks. They traded for Jimmy Graham and couldn't figure out how to fit him in the passing game. Now, Shane Waldron comes from the Rams who have used the TE effectively (especially in the past against the Seahawks) and the offense is still underutilizing the TE position. It's very puzzling.
Many thought it was Russ but TE has barely been used the past 3 games with Geno too. So that is evidence that it's not just Russ. Dissly and Everett have done well when given the opportunities. Just very few of those.

Look how Baltimore uses Mark Andrews, Chiefs with Travis Kelce, Colts with Mo Allie-Cox, and now Arizona with Ertz. While Dissly or Everett may not be Kelce, Ertz, or Andrews, they are comparable to Mo Allie-Cox. Feed the TEs. Why even have them on the roster if you aren't going to use them.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think the front office and coaching staff will be all over this, just think... its 3rd and 5 and we overload a bunch formation with DK, Tyler and OBJ, how much confusion would that cause for the D as we run it up the middle with Penny for no gain. It would be beautiful...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawkfan68":356q7amz said:
The TE been underutilized since Zach Miller left the Seahawks. They traded for Jimmy Graham and couldn't figure out how to fit him in the passing game. Now, Shane Waldron comes from the Rams who have used the TE effectively (especially in the past against the Seahawks) and the offense is still underutilizing the TE position. It's very puzzling.
Many thought it was Russ but TE has barely been used the past 3 games with Geno too. So that is evidence that it's not just Russ. Dissly and Everett have done well when given the opportunities. Just very few of those.

Look how Baltimore uses Mark Andrews, Chiefs with Travis Kelce, Colts with Mo Allie-Cox, and now Arizona with Ertz. While Dissly or Everett may not be Kelce, Ertz, or Andrews, they are comparable to Mo Allie-Cox. Feed the TEs. Why even have them on the roster if you aren't going to use them.

Yeah its maddening. I said when Everett was brought over that he would be irrelevant and here we are. Pete just does not use the position effectively.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete does not know how to use many positions effectively.

So this is nothing new.

But he is horrific at TEs.

chris98251

Reaction score
With Ruggs gone I could see him landing with the Raiders.

We never used Miller either once in a while, last TE we used effectively was.....

Stevens under Holmgren or Carlson, Miller had 102 catches in 48 games under Pete, but really that's low compared to Carlson and Stevens and how they were used, also all three of them actually Blocked also. Stevens wasn't great at it on the line but was an animal down field. Mili should also be added, but yeah Miller is the outlier, and as the line went his use was less impactfull.

getnasty

Reaction score
Let's say we hypothetical sign OBJ. Then let's say he balls out the rest of the year. Is he a free agent at the end of the year? If so and he signs elsewhere for a middle of the road contract can we get a comp pick?

OP
OP
N

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3ew4lzz4 said:
Let's say we hypothetical sign OBJ. Then let's say he balls out the rest of the year. Is he a free agent at the end of the year? If so and he signs elsewhere for a middle of the road contract can we get a comp pick?
Depends if we grab him on waivers or as a free agent. If the latter, then yes.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1660m279 said:
I think the front office and coaching staff will be all over this, just think... its 3rd and 5 and we overload a bunch formation with DK, Tyler and OBJ, how much confusion would that cause for the D as we run it up the middle with Penny for no gain. It would be beautiful...

Not gonna lie, you had me in the first half!

edogg23

Reaction score
Let’s be honest. This team as constructed playing Pete ball has a very slim chance of winning the Super Bowl. What’s the harm in mixing it up.

seabowl

Reaction score
edogg23":3tnpzcqi said:
Let’s be honest. This team as constructed playing Pete ball has a very slim chance of winning the Super Bowl. What’s the harm in mixing it up.

Also why would he even want to play for Seattle if they are going to play Pete Ball?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
It amazes me how much the narrative is painted for these guys. Multiple DBs respect his game, literally no player has ever called him a locker room cancer (unlike AB and others).

It’s also pretty clear that many here are uhhh… old school. The Buccaneers proved how valuable it is to have 3 great wide receivers in the modern NFL. You cannot dominate in today’s NFL without a good WR3. We can blame any quarterback we have here, but we have to get with the times. Odell would be a tremendous addition. If we get him, every person here should publicly eat crow when he thrives here. :D

Elemas

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":d3xph5v8 said:
No thanks.

IMO Lockett and DK already don't get enough targets, they should be the #1 WR tandem in the entire league with how good they are.

So add in a malcontent who also wants more balls? No thanks.

I agree with this (I think OBJ has calmed down a bit but maybe malcontent is the right word here.

I feel like we’re going to sign him….wouldn’t bet my house on it but…

nwHawk

Reaction score
Team has basically no run game, offensive line is built to pass block (not great) but better than run blocking. Banged up running backs, history of losing backs during the season, which could get uglier as the season goes on. Hell, why not bring in OBJ. Tyler and DK have had minor dings this year and one could go down at any time. I’d expect OBJ to land in Jacksonville.

LTH

Reaction score
I think it just depends on what the Seahawks feel there need is for a 3rd WR. They have Eskridge, Swain and Dorsett...it's clear to me that Eskridge has an role on this team that the Seahawks are high on. They really don't need another deep threat... what they need is someone who can catch the ball underneath and make a big play hence Eskridge and Hart... these are the guys that need to step up...

Not say that OBJ can't help this team because he could but at what cost? is he a locker room distraction? the Hawks are only going to throw the ball 25 times or so a game.. as it is right now they have more weapons than opportunities...I don't think they can keep him happy... he wants to be a number 1 receiver that's not going to happen in Seattle I say it's not worth it...

LTH

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Apparently OBJ has not been put on waivers yet. I saw a ticker on ESPN that said his waiver period will begin on Monday and teams will have until Tuesday 4pm EST to put a claim. He said he wants to play for a contender. So that may narrow the field of teams a bit.

Most predictions have him going to Chiefs, Saints, or Raiders.The Chiefs are interesting since they just added Josh Gordon a few weeks ago. He probably would be the odd man out if they acquire OBJ. Could it be the start of Gordon's road back to the Seahawks? That wouldn't be bad either.