OBJ a good fit for Seattle?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The thing about Beckham is that he's massively overrated and overpriced. I'm not a sports psychologist, and I've never had a conversation with Mr. Beckham, so I can't offer any opinion on the sort of stuff ("attitude," for example) about which know-nothing talking-head sports mediots constantly offer their uninformed opinions. Let's just stick with what's measurable: on-field performance. And in those terms, Beckham just ain't that good. Despite how bad he's been lately, I don't think he's necessarily a bad player, but I'm very confident that he's not worth even nearly what casual fans think he is. The Venn diagram of top-quality players and very famous players has a lot of overlap, but Beckham is not in that overlap.

An analogy for those who remember baseball from 1995-2014 is Derek Jeter's defense. For most of his career, Jeter was a bad defensive shortstop if you measure defense by how good a player is at turning batted balls in his area of responsibility into outs. But Jeter was a great athlete who made spectacular highlight-reel plays (and he was an outstanding hitter for a shortstop, and even though it shouldn't, that affects people's assessments of how good a player is overall), so people whose exposure to him was through SportsCenter thought he was a good (or even... tee-hee... great) defensive shortstop. In fairness to Jeter, I'll admit that once the Yankees got A-Rod and put him at third next to Jeter, A-Rod's range allowed Jeter to cheat over to the second-base side, and so Jeter's defensive numbers got a lot better, even if a lot of the balls to the third-base side of the shortstop's area of responsibility were snagged and turned into outs by the third baseman and not by Jeter himself. Through most of Jeter's career, Yankees fans who watched many games got to hear the phrase "past a diving Jeter" many more times than they'd like to admit.

Similarly, Odell Beckham Jr. has not been all that good as a receiver in over six years, but he's made some absolutely spectacular plays that everyone got to see in sports highlights, so he's got a much better reputation as a receiver than his actual overall performance merits. He's as famous as if he were one of the top ten receivers in the league, and he's paid well, but his performance doesn't make him look like one of the top thirty receivers in the NFL. Most teams have at least one WR I'd rather have than OBJ. The Seahawks obviously have at least two, and may have as many as five (here I'm taking age and salary into account, along with current and recent performance).

Beckham looked great in his rookie year and pretty good in his second year, and really hasn't been above-average since then. He has been pretty bad since 2019. Even though he was noticeably below-average in 2019 and has been downright bad in 2020 and 2021, I think he's not as bad a player as his performance this year would indicate (in a vacuum), but he's still light years away from what you'd expect of a player as famous and well paid as he is.

I think Carroll and Schneider know that Beckham's actual on-field value isn't anywhere close to what his fame and salary would indicate. Still, I took as great news the headline I saw this morning saying that Beckham wants to join a playoff contender, because that makes me optimistic that the Seahawks' record this season would keep him away even if Carroll and Schneider wanted him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Don't need OB..Why so he can turn DK into more of a drama queen?

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Over Swain? I'd kick the tires on a dirt cheap prove it deal for a 3rd option but that's about it

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
The SNF broadcast just said that ObJ is linked to the Seahawks, Saints, and 49ers but they said he personally prefers the Seahawks!

:stirthepot: :snack:

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
SarG3Hawk":39mg6k5h said:
The SNF broadcast just said that ObJ is linked to the Seahawks, Saints, and 49ers but they said he personally prefers the Seahawks!

I caught that too. Like I said if he don't care about money welcome aboard

Rat

Reaction score
SarG3Hawk":338vuh6r said:

I thought he said he wanted to play for a contender.

I wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to go that route, but what the hell, I dont really care at this point. We're 3-5, it's not like he could derail the season any further.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If we got rid of our ridiculous obsession with a balanced offense, OBJ would be a great fit. And we would be better for it.

And it wouldn't be hard to make him worth it. He cost $1M and just has to be better than Swain.

Not really a high bar.

I don't care about the rest. He could literally be spitting on fans as he ran out of the tunnel, if he catches TDs and helps us win playoff games? People will be just fine with him.

And we aren't winning playoff games with what we got now, so we might as well try.

eo620

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":1ft6ywhg said:
Odell Beckham Jr was released by the Browns this morning. He seems like the type of player that Pete can keep on track. Hopefully we make a move for him.

No, no, no! Why would we want this circus clown? First of all, 3 WR's on a run first team makes no sense. Especially when our current #3 (Swain) isn't too bad. Second, I do not want to take 1 throw away from Lockett or DK. Great highlight reel, but two teams gave up on him already in his career. There's a reason.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":2k8mr9r2 said:
SarG3Hawk":2k8mr9r2 said:

I thought he said he wanted to play for a contender.

I wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to go that route, but what the hell, I dont really care at this point. We're 3-5, it's not like he could derail the season any further.

Exactly what more do we have to lose? Russell has been clamoring for Gordon and AB before so obviously a really good WR 3 wouldn’t hurt. They also have a connection from working out during the off season.

Idk how to quote Twisted’s post on top of this one but I agree. If we realize that we don’t have the bell cow or RBBC to play as a run first offense then let’s use the passing game to open up lanes for the running game.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Lagartixa":1o4n7ptj said:
The thing about Beckham is that he's massively overrated and overpriced. I'm not a sports psychologist, and I've never had a conversation with Mr. Beckham, so I can't offer any opinion on the sort of stuff ("attitude," for example) about which know-nothing talking-head sports mediots constantly offer their uninformed opinions. Let's just stick with what's measurable: on-field performance. And in those terms, Beckham just ain't that good. Despite how bad he's been lately, I don't think he's necessarily a bad player, but I'm very confident that he's not worth even nearly what casual fans think he is. The Venn diagram of top-quality players and very famous players has a lot of overlap, but Beckham is not in that overlap.

An analogy for those who remember baseball from 1995-2014 is Derek Jeter's defense. For most of his career, Jeter was a bad defensive shortstop if you measure defense by how good a player is at turning batted balls in his area of responsibility into outs. But Jeter was a great athlete who made spectacular highlight-reel plays (and he was an outstanding hitter for a shortstop, and even though it shouldn't, that affects people's assessments of how good a player is overall), so people whose exposure to him was through SportsCenter thought he was a good (or even... tee-hee... great) defensive shortstop. In fairness to Jeter, I'll admit that once the Yankees got A-Rod and put him at third next to Jeter, A-Rod's range allowed Jeter to cheat over to the second-base side, and so Jeter's defensive numbers got a lot better, even if a lot of the balls to the third-base side of the shortstop's area of responsibility were snagged and turned into outs by the third baseman and not by Jeter himself. Through most of Jeter's career, Yankees fans who watched many games got to hear the phrase "past a diving Jeter" many more times than they'd like to admit.

Similarly, Odell Beckham Jr. has not been all that good as a receiver in over six years, but he's made some absolutely spectacular plays that everyone got to see in sports highlights, so he's got a much better reputation as a receiver than his actual overall performance merits. He's as famous as if he were one of the top ten receivers in the league, and he's paid well, but his performance doesn't make him look like one of the top thirty receivers in the NFL. Most teams have at least one WR I'd rather have than OBJ. The Seahawks obviously have at least two, and may have as many as five (here I'm taking age and salary into account, along with current and recent performance).

Beckham looked great in his rookie year and pretty good in his second year, and really hasn't been above-average since then. He has been pretty bad since 2019. Even though he was noticeably below-average in 2019 and has been downright bad in 2020 and 2021, I think he's not as bad a player as his performance this year would indicate (in a vacuum), but he's still light years away from what you'd expect of a player as famous and well paid as he is.

I think Carroll and Schneider know that Beckham's actual on-field value isn't anywhere close to what his fame and salary would indicate. Still, I took as great news the headline I saw this morning saying that Beckham wants to join a playoff contender, because that makes me optimistic that the Seahawks' record this season would keep him away even if Carroll and Schneider wanted him.
Perfectly describes why 99% of fans' opinions everything are typically wrong. Nice post!

Same reason most fans think every other team's coaches or players or scheme is so much better than their favorite team. We only ever see highlights. Highlights by definition, are the good plays. You watch every play of your team for 16, now 17 games and only see a handful of good plays every week from everyone else. It makes grass that always seems greener, appear way greener than normal

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If he clears waivers I do it.

1. Allows you to IR Eskridge for the season. No reason to rush him back.
2. If he signs a 1 year deal, which he should be wanting to do anyway, then if he signs elsewhere that factors into comp pick formula.

At best, you can hedge/protect your long term 3rd option while possibly picking up a draft pick for free all while gaining a pretty solid 3rd WR option.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":6jvpjad8 said:
If we got rid of our ridiculous obsession with a balanced offense, OBJ would be a great fit. And we would be better for it.

And it wouldn't be hard to make him worth it. He cost $1M and just has to be better than Swain.

Not really a high bar.

I don't care about the rest. He could literally be spitting on fans as he ran out of the tunnel, if he catches TDs and helps us win playoff games? People will be just fine with him.

And we aren't winning playoff games with what we got now, so we might as well try.
I think it's 7million if you claim him

Elemas

Reaction score
GemCity":jmuvloep said:
Sgt. Largent":jmuvloep said:
No thanks.

IMO Lockett and DK already don't get enough targets, they should be the #1 WR tandem in the entire league with how good they are.

So add in a malcontent who also wants more balls? No thanks.

I agree with this (I think OBJ has calmed down a bit but maybe malcontent is the right word here.

I feel like we’re going to sign him….wouldn’t bet my house on it but…

Maybe I should’ve bet my house on it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He's a 1M dollar rental that will never thrive in Seattles offense. Who cares? Its meaningless if the Hawks sign him or not.

massari

Reaction score
Let Russ cook and throw it 40 times a game if they have DK, Lockett, and OBJ

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ByMikeJones/status/1457540176717123584[/tweet]

Elemas

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":20qdr8wx said:
He's a 1M dollar rental that will never thrive in Seattles offense. Who cares? Its meaningless if the Hawks sign him or not.

Respectfully, I disagree.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Sounds like this is where he wants to be and Russ wants him here. If JS and Pete are okay with him after doing their dd then make the franchise qb happy.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am calling BS, Wilson has been associated with just about every WR that has a name saying he wants them here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
My understanding is that the Browns restructured his deal before they released him, so they will be picking up most of the tab this season and then there's no guaranteed money next season. So there's very little downside here.

Football is about teamwork, and improving a player at any position will make everybody else look better in turn. Having good receiver depth isn't really about depth in case of injury but about having a better team on the field at any point in the game. "WR3" isn't a real position and our third best receiver isn't some backup third string WR, but a guy who is on the field alongside the other WRs in 11 personnel which the Hawks run quite a lot.

Look at the high powered offenses in the league and you'll see they rely on six or seven different targets rather than just forcing it to one or two guys over and over. Even our 5th best WR could end up getting some key snaps if they are our #2 flanker and we have them run ten post routes during the game to give our #1 flanker a breather.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks have 2 good WRs so they don't need another one argument makes no sense.

Lockett has gotten hurt the last 2 seasons and the offense went into the tank. The Seahawks are 1 injury away from having only 1 good WR in other words.

OBJ costs little money as the Browns are picking up most of the tab. ZERO guaranteed dollars going forward.

OBJ's dad posted a video on social media showing 12 mins of footage how open his son was play after play, but Baker couldn't get him the ball.

Low risk, high reward. If he is a knucklehead, cut him, simple.

OBJ could drastically help with the offense's woeful 3rd down conversion rate. NFL teams don't have 3 quality corners on their roster to cover DK, Lockett, & OBJ, outside of maybe a couple.

Latest posts