Officiating is so bad, I quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":2doe42d1 said:
That is the whole point it's fixed it didn't mean anything to us to lose a game cause it keeps our division close
but what that win means to the nfc south is huge cause if u look at there division it is utter crap and the more wins u
can stuff in there the more it keeps ppl watching is there thought process it's gotten to the point now where it's so
obvious like wwe they might as well come out and just admit it that it's all about the tv rating but in fact because ppl can
see it there ratings are going down so u can scream all u want this and that but in the end depending on what gets them
more ratings over the course of this year they will do its y there are no real clear front runners in any division Sept the cheatriots

This is interesting and got me thinking so I looked up some numbers for the NFC south.

Carolina 1-5 before game time, New Orleans 2-4 and Tampa 3-3 had a total of 44 penalties accepted against their opponent. While they were called for 13 penalties. Atlanta who is leading thew division at 4-3 was 7 vs GB 6 penalties.

That looks like alot of help for the cellar dwellers of the NFC south.

Something else I noticed. The 49ers are the least penalized team in the league so far this year. That's amazing that the rag tag team of misfits is committing less penalties than any other team in the league? Or are they?

cymatica

Reaction score
Carolina 1-5 before game time, New Orleans 2-4 and Tampa 3-3 had a total of 44 penalties accepted against their opponent. While they were called for 13 penalties.

Wow, that is pretty telling. Seems little more than coincidence, and if that is not an attempt at fixing games by the nfl, then it shows either sheer ineptitude or corruption by the referring crews.

fuego

Reaction score
cymatica":350cgjv4 said:
Carolina 1-5 before game time, New Orleans 2-4 and Tampa 3-3 had a total of 44 penalties accepted against their opponent. While they were called for 13 penalties.

Wow, that is pretty telling. Seems little more than coincidence, and if that is not an attempt at fixing games by the nfl, then it shows either sheer ineptitude or corruption by the referring crews.

We have very disciplined teams here in the NFC South. :2thumbs:

cymatica

Reaction score
We have very disciplined teams here in the NFC South.

Bs, only 2 penalties on the saints and they were false starts? Blatent illegal pick plays that werent called is good discipline? 23 penalties on the raiders is good discipline by the opposing team? That shows complete biased reffing, looking at one team and ignoring another.

253hawk

Reaction score
fuego":3s3srx99 said:
I haven't read this whole thread. Explain what you mean by 'modified'. What did they modify?

They were setting up the 4th and 10 play with all of this dramatic nonsense and used footage of Julio leaving the line from an earlier play in the game without press. Then it cut straight to the DPI, making it look like he left the line cleanly without doing anything (slapping Sherman's helmet, which gave him the extra step to begin with).

fuego":3s3srx99 said:
We have very disciplined teams here in the NFC South. :2thumbs:

So...how about those previous two games where the Saints had 10 penalties in each?

cymatica

Reaction score

Forgot to mention, the saints were the most penalized team before playing the seahawks. Disciplined huh?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
cymatica":27p1l2tu said:

Forgot to mention, the saints were the most penalized team before playing the seahawks. Disciplined huh?

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
cymatica":2les38bn said:

??

Even before this week the Raiders were the most penalized team by a wide margin.

The Saints were also right around average for penalties before playing the Seahawks, and nowhere close to the most penalized team (the Seahawks too, are about average -- tied with the Cardinals and Browns at 16th, or 13th, depending on how you want to count).

FWIW the most "disciplined" team BY FAR this year (i.e. fewest number of penalties) is the 49ers, which shows us how far that gets you. :lol:

EDIT: Just if anyone is interested, I scraped the penalty data and looked into it a little bit. The Seahawks are about average in some stuff (defensive holding, illegal contact), pretty far below average in other stuff (defensive pass interference, assorted other penalties, unnecessary roughness) and top 10 in the league for penalties for a) false starts and b) offensive holding.

It's always kinda neat when data confirm something we already know: The story of Seahawks penalties so far this season is mostly a story about a young, untalented and undisciplined offensive line. Save for that the Seahawks are pretty far below average in drawing flags.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I'm reminded of the racially motivated officiating in the movie Remember the Titans. Because they had a black head coach and it was the 60's, the officiating authorities deemed it their business to intervene on the field so as to get the black guy fired so that the white coordinator would become the head coach and be in his rightful place. It took the white coordinator to call out the officials on the field during the game to get them to call the game fairly. The official responded with, "its your funeral".

Its certainly not as simple as that in the NFL. Pete can't just call out Ed Hochuli and instantly the game will be called fairly. If the officials are truely not calling games fairly, then we have to ask why? Seattle bias? I don't buy that. Parity bias? Possibly.
Ineptitude? Possibly, but I think it would represent more evenly bad calls on both sides. This takes into consideration way too much human error. I am beginning to think that the NFL has been so big on parity that they are certainly not beneath having games called unfairly to keep teams from running up a score or running away with a division.

It seems like there aren't as many one sided outcomes as there used to be.

It would be great to hear from someone on this issue who has officiated games on a consistent basis to see what their take is. And I'm not talking about someone who knows or is a current or former NFL ref who will just spout the company line.

treefidy

Reaction score
Falcons - 8 penalties
Seahawks - 3 penalties

Falcons - robbed.
Seahawks - not.

These things even out. It's rather comical watching you guys squirm though.

253hawk

Reaction score
treefidy":2sbxc34q said:
Falcons - 8 penalties
Seahawks - 3 penalties

Falcons - robbed.
Seahawks - not.

Except we can provide examples all game long about the how biased the calls were in the NO game. Can you provide similar examples for the ATL game? Or are you just going to harp about the single play where the refs let everything go?

No one's denying that there was DPI, but Jones only had his step because of an uncalled penalty on him, so you can't say you were robbed unless you accept the offset penalties and redo the down. And I'll take that redo all day because Ryan just stared Jones down and threw up a duck into double coverage, praying for the penalty. All they needed was 10 yards and instead they willingly put it in the hands of a miracle or the refs, which are statistically far less favorable than just trying to get 10 yards.

captSE

Reaction score
Willyeye":1m2ueeqa said:
I've been a HUGE football fan for over 50 years, and a Hawks fan for over 20 years. I just can't take it anymore. For 3 seasons now, the Seahawks get screwed on calls all game long, and the refs just let every violation by the opposition slide. Today was a blatant exhibition of officiating bias against the Hawks. Every time the Hawks made a good play, it gets called back. Every time the Saints are up against 3rd down and they fail, the refs throw flags against the Hawks. It's pretty easy to succeed on 3rd down when you get two shots at it almost every time. Even when I watch games that I don't care about this year, the refs make it unbearable. They choose a team that they "help" to lose the game or they throw so many flags that I just can't watch anymore. It's become so ridiculously blatant that I just can't take it any longer. I am officially joining the 15% of football fans that stopped watching games this year. I'M DONE NFL...I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

Willyeye is right.
For christ's sake, I remember the Vinnie Testeverde helmet looking like a football touchdown. It's not equal, far from it. It's bs.
Any poster from another team telling us to suck it up? Haha go screw yourself or give Dan Quinn Back haha

treefidy

Reaction score
253hawk":q2xikewh said:
treefidy":q2xikewh said:
Falcons - 8 penalties
Seahawks - 3 penalties

Falcons - robbed.
Seahawks - not.

Except we can provide examples all game long about the how biased the calls were in the NO game. Can you provide similar examples for the ATL game? Or are you just going to harp about the single play where the refs let everything go?

No one's denying that there was DPI, but Jones only had his step because of an uncalled penalty on him, so you can't say you were robbed unless you accept the offset penalties and redo the down. And I'll take that redo all day because Ryan just stared Jones down and threw up a duck into double coverage, praying for the penalty. All they needed was 10 yards and instead they willingly put it in the hands of a miracle or the refs, which are statistically far less favorable than just trying to get 10 yards.

The disparity in the amount of calls heavily leaning one way is one of the major points Seahawks fans are arguing here...

This happened in the Falcons/Hawks game as well.

The final ignored call, directly effected the Falcons chance of winning the game. Even if you argue hands to the face, the down should have been replayed. Thus screwed.

You guys are in this thread crying about the refs screwing you, two weeks after you told Falcons fans we weren't screwed and to accept the loss.

Accept your L.

253hawk

Reaction score
treefidy":1s720wo6 said:
The disparity in the amount of calls heavily leaning one way is one of the major points Seahawks fans are arguing here...

This happened in the Falcons/Hawks game as well.

The final ignored call, directly effected the Falcons chance of winning the game. Even if you argue hands to the face, the down should have been replayed. Thus screwed.

You guys are in this thread crying about the refs screwing you, two weeks after you told Falcons fans we weren't screwed and to accept the loss.

Accept your L.

It did? Where? Provide examples, please. At least two of your penalties were pre-snap infractions, so you can't really count procedural stuff between the whistle. So now you're down to 6-3. And the gunner running out of bounds and not coming back in right away has been heavily focused on over the past few seasons and is rarely missed or called incorrectly. So 5-3. A pretty obvious facemask, 4-3. We had one called as well.

All you are talking about is the last play, which pretty much everyone has admitted had penalties on both sides. If you can't provide examples of the Falcons getting hosed on calls all game long, take your trolling somewhere else.

treefidy

Reaction score
253hawk":3qlnz4yh said:
It did? Where? Provide examples, please. At least two of your penalties were neutral zone infractions, so you can't really count procedural stuff between the whistle. So now you're down to 6-3. And the gunner running out of bounds and not coming back in right away has been heavily focused on over the past few seasons and is rarely missed or called incorrectly. So 5-3.

All you are talking about is the last play, which pretty much everyone has admitted had penalties on both sides. If you can't provide examples of the Falcons getting hosed on calls all game long, take your trolling somewhere else.

The type of penalty doesn't mean squat. Seattle was called for a personal foul for hugging the ref (YOU NEVER TOUCH A REF, PERIOD) illegally touching of a kick, clipping and an illegal block above the waist (a major point on concern currently), 4 false starts. None of these are judgement calls and are freakin' DUMB penalties.

The fact that Seahawks fans are in this thread arguing the disparity between penalties called is hilarious, yet Falcons fans have no argument...

As for the last call, no one has admitted a thing. All I see is "Oh well if it was DPI, there was also hands to the face, so it was completely fair to ignore the penalty"

That's not how it works. We were told to accept our defeat as the better team won. Time for you to eat your own words.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
How mad was this trefidy guy, still coming back here weeks later and playing the 'you got what was coming to you' card. :lol:

Were you waiting for something like this to happen? Plotting your revenge? Haha :lol:

4000367-oh-he-mad-o.gif

253hawk

Reaction score
treefidy":1jlvy2hm said:
The type of penalty doesn't mean squat. Seattle was called for a personal foul for hugging the ref (YOU NEVER TOUCH A REF, PERIOD) illegally touching of a kick, clipping and an illegal block above the waist (a major point on concern currently), 4 false starts. None of these are judgement calls and are freakin' DUMB penalties.

The fact that Seahawks fans are in this thread arguing the disparity between penalties called is hilarious, yet Falcons fans have no argument...

As for the last call, no one has admitted a thing. All I see is "Oh well if it was DPI, there was also hands to the face, so it was completely fair to ignore the penalty"

That's not how it works. We were told to accept our defeat as the better team won. Time for you to eat your own words.

Actually they do mean squat, because the ones on defense were all on third down, all extended those drives, and all ended up in points. 10 points worth to be exact. Two drives should have been punts and ended in FGs, one drive should have been a FG and ended up as a TD+XP. 25-20. We lost by 5 points. Would have been 19-20.

Hugging the ref? Go look at my post in that little thread with four distinct instances of QBs slapping the ref on the ass. None were called for a penalty. I guess sexual assault is better than a hug?

Illegally touching the kick? He was forced out of bounds, but he did take a little bit of time getting back in. I'll concede that one.

Clipping? Didn't really re-watch that one, but all it did was 'affect' our inept offense and we punted anyway. Our defense still had the game in hand. The confusion seems to be that they called it on Britt instead of the actual player that committed it.

False starts? Procedural, the refs almost never miss that. No big deal.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...we're talking about the third down stops on defense that all resulted in points instead of punts (and a TD instead of a FG). Try to keep up.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
If road teams don't play significantly better than home teams, they're not going to win.

It seems to be the way the NFL wants it.
A 10 pt win at home becomes a 3 pt loss on the road.

I keep thinking that
home field advantage + Homer ref calls = 10 - 14 pts.

treefidy

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":75e3bfk9 said:
How mad was this trefidy guy, still coming back here weeks later and playing the 'you got what was coming to you' card. :lol:

Were you waiting for something like this to happen? Plotting your revenge? Haha :lol:

4000367-oh-he-mad-o.gif

I enjoyed watching the Seahawks fans melt down this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.