Pete Carroll needs to go

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Fire Pete! All hail Jason Garrett!! Because that would be the upside of getting rid of Pete Carrol. The F•*+ing HORROR of a thought that is.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh God, the only thing worse after a shitty loss at home to an inferior team is the inevitable "FIRE CARROLL" posts that follow. Yes, let's fire the best coach this franchise has ever had after going 11-4 with a playoff spot waiting.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Aros":2urk0b8p said:
Oh God, the only thing worse after a shitty loss at home to an inferior team is the inevitable "FIRE CARROLL" posts that follow. Yes, let's fire the best coach this franchise has ever had after going 11-4 with a playoff spot waiting.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

People were saying the same about Holmgren when he left. Point is, coaches stagnate and/or lose touch with necessary changes. Those of us that have been saying it is time to move on from PC for a while now believe that is what the evidence here points to.

PC makes major game day blunders frequently (poor challenges or non-challenges, poor clock management, insisting on running the clock to 1 on most offensive plays which has two negative effects in frequently not giving Wilson adequate time to change the play if necessary and a predictable snap count for pass rushers.) He also wastes quarters or even halves of almost every game and excuses it with the "you win in the fourth quarter" bs.

He was absolutely the perfect coach at the perfect time for this franchise. I think now as the years tick by he is more tarnishing his legacy than anything else.

Osprey

Reaction score
Probably been said before, but have to wonder what this team would look like if Pete turned the offense over to a non puppet OC and put 90% of his time into the D.

While we’re at it let’s get an assistant head coach of clock management and challenges!

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Osprey":2fv9wudq said:
Probably been said before, but have to wonder what this team would look like if Pete turned the offense over to a non puppet OC and put 90% of his time into the D.

While we’re at it let’s get an assistant head coach of clock management and challenges!

This would probably be acceptable as well at this point.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JustTheTip":3vgmxaxt said:
People were saying the same about Holmgren when he left. Point is, coaches stagnate and/or lose touch with necessary changes. Those of us that have been saying it is time to move on from PC for a while now believe that is what the evidence here points to.

PC makes major game day blunders frequently (poor challenges or non-challenges, poor clock management, insisting on running the clock to 1 on most offensive plays which has two negative effects in frequently not giving Wilson adequate time to change the play if necessary and a predictable snap count for pass rushers.) He also wastes quarters or even halves of almost every game and excuses it with the "you win in the fourth quarter" bs.

He was absolutely the perfect coach at the perfect time for this franchise. I think now as the years tick by he is more tarnishing his legacy than anything else.

Tarnishing his legacy is a bit much, but I can't argue your points in general. Let me be clear...I am not a Carroll Apologist. I care only about wins, like he does, like you do. However, your points are valid...He does have tendencies that need to change or shift in some manner. What would interest me is if we studied a Patriots forum for years...How much would we hear their fans b*itch about the best coach in NFL history?

Not comparing Pete to Bill, but it's a valid question.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Aros":187o7c3k said:
JustTheTip":187o7c3k said:

Tarnishing his legacy is a bit much, but I can't argue your points in general. Let me be clear...I am not a Carroll Apologist. I care only about wins, like he does, like you do. However, your points are valid...He does have tendencies that need to change or shift in some manner. What would interest me is if we studied a Patriots forum for years...How much would we hear their fans b*itch about the best coach in NFL history?

Not comparing Pete to Bill, but it's a valid question.

See I don't care only about wins. I care more about being entertained. And yes winning is the biggest component of being entertained, but it certainly does not stand on its own.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
The real question to me is: If PC leaves, will Paul Allen's sister then sell the team?

In case y'all haven't noticed, Pete is a very charismatic personality. He's very Owner friendly and players love playing for him. And unless Pete chooses his successor, Seattle could very well lose the Franchise.

Just a thought.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We can part ways there. I am not entertained by losses, like, ever.

Entertain me with victories. Not by excuses or cheap one liners after the game why you will learn from this loss and get better next time, blah blah. I am too old for that rhetoric. Yes, I get that the game in general is entertainment but losses are not entertainment, they are just disappointments and needless suffering, lol. :lol:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2686kpn3 said:
The real question to me is: If PC leaves, will Paul Allen's sister then sell the team?

In case y'all haven't noticed, Pete is a very charismatic personality. He's very Owner friendly and players love playing for him. And unless Pete chooses his successor, Seattle could very well lose the Franchise.

Just a thought.

I don't necessarily want him to leave. I would love it if he stayed in his front office role and continued to push quite a bit of what he already does. I just want to see him give up forcing what we have been seeing on offense for years now as well as gameday decision making. It really does appear to me that he is nowhere what he was 5 years ago where those aspects of the game are concerned.

Aros":2686kpn3 said:

Entertain me with victories. Not by excuses or cheap one liners after the game why you will learn from this loss and get better next time, blah blah. I am too old for that rhetoric. Yes, I get that the game in general is entertainment but losses are not entertainment, they are just disappointments and needless suffering, lol. :lol:

I didn't say I was entertained by losing. My point is that, for me, wins in and of themselves are not entertaining.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JustTheTip":1karnr69 said:
I didn't say I was entertained by losing. My point is that, for me, wins in and of themselves are not entertaining.

Why? Serious question.

getnasty

Reaction score
This team has a ton of injuries and really isn't that talented. Pete has them 11-4 in the toughest division in football with a chance to win the division next week. Come on with these weak post.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
getnasty":1dwuupc5 said:
This team has a ton of injuries and really isn't that talented. Pete has them 11-4 in the toughest division in football with a chance to win the division next week. Come on with these weak post.

Yep. 11-4 with a shot at the division next week at home with this young injured team is a marvelous achievement.

Fade

Reaction score
You don't fire Pete, but some changes need to be made to help him going forward in his 70's. He has way too much on his plate at this juncture.

-Strip Pete of final say on personnel power. He still has the ability of course to give his input as the head coach, but JS has final say on personnel going forward, not Pete.

-Give full offensive control to Schotty, if Pete doesn't trust him fully in that role than Pete can hire an OC he can trust in that position. Pete shouldn't be meddling with the offense at this stage, he has a defense that desperately needs his expertise, and full attention. It is frankly, and clearly, a distraction for Pete.

-Pete focuses on defense, and HC responsibilities only. I think Pete is great at building a culture, and instilling the right attitude in his players. Let him focus on that, along with getting his defense right.

-Pete goes to school on situational football in the off-season, and has a plan when those situations come up in the games instead of flying by the seat of his pants, burning timeouts, taking delay of games, because he doesn't know what to do in the heat of the moment. John Harbaugh has a mid-twenties analytics guy in his ear on 4th downs as an example, and he is making him look like a genius. Pete has some "yes" men instead and doesn't really listen to them. It is chaos.

These changes would give the Seahawks the best of what Pete offers, and shields the Seahawks from his deficiencies, at his rapidly advancing age.

If Pete is a team guy he will agree to these changes. If not then, Pete definitely has to go. It's only going to get worse. People don't get better in their 70's with that much on their plate. They either continue to get worse, or they crash and burn like Tom Coughlin. Getting better is not realistic. He needs to delegate more, and be stripped of some of his responsibilities. In a more focused role he can definitely be better.

It's all pretty much moot anyway as I don't see him coaching for much longer. I will be very surprised if he is still coaching in 4 years. I would set the over/under @ 3.5 and I would take the under.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Aros":138a5agp said:
JustTheTip":138a5agp said:

Why? Serious question.

Should starwars fans have been satisfied with the prequels simply because they were starwars movies? Same kind of thing.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Fade":rsb69pbm said:
You don't fire Pete, but some changes need to be made to help him going forward in his 70's. He has way too much on his plate at this juncture.

-Strip Pete of final say on personnel power. He still has the ability of course to give his input as the head coach, but JS has final say on personnel going forward, not Pete.

-Give full offensive control to Schotty, if Pete doesn't trust him fully in that role than Pete can hire an OC he can trust in that position. Pete shouldn't be meddling with the offense at this stage, he has a defense that desperately needs his expertise, and full attention. It is frankly, and clearly, a distraction for Pete.

-Pete focuses on defense, and HC responsibilities only. I think Pete is great at building a culture, and instilling the right attitude in his players. Let him focus on that, along with getting his defense right.

-Pete goes to school on situational football in the off-season, and has a plan when those situations come up in the games instead of flying by the seat of his pants, burning timeouts, taking delay of games, because he doesn't know what to do in the heat of the moment. John Harbaugh has a mid-twenties analytics guy in his ear on 4th downs as an example, and he is making him look like a genius. Pete has some "yes" men instead and doesn't really listen to them. It is chaos.

These changes would give the Seahawks the best of what Pete offers, and shields the Seahawks from his deficiencies, at his rapidly advancing age.

If Pete is a team guy he will agree to these changes. If not then, Pete definitely has to go. It's only going to get worse. People don't get better in their 70's with that much on their plate. They either continue to get worse, or they crash and burn like Tom Coughlin. Getting better is not realistic. He needs to delegate more, and be stripped of some of his responsibilities. In a more focused role he can definitely be better.

It's all pretty much moot anyway as I don't see him coaching for much longer. I will be very surprised if he is still coaching in 4 years. I would set the over/under @ 3.5 and I would take the under.

With the points given, I find them very reasonable and have been in the camp of Pete at the very least relinquishing some of that absolute power and focus on more micro things, rather than macro. Whether Shotty or some other OC, let them focus on the Offense and make those calls and Pete steps back to focus on defense and building on the young talent.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":3g7qbhkq said:

Money post Fade! Spot on. :2thumbs:
I’ll be forever grateful to Pete for our Super Bowl teams and the Lombardi trophy, but his 5 year “free pass” is up and changes in Pete’s responsibilities, need to change, and or be adjusted.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JustTheTip":2dzrqbtv said:
Should starwars fans have been satisfied with the prequels simply because they were starwars movies? Same kind of thing.

I guess I see what you are saying. Some wins feel hollow but they are still wins in the end. Some wins feel amazing but that win doesn't count any more than the hollow win. I suppose its whatever moves you and what entertainment to you means. I definitely get the notion that when we win but it feels hollow somehow (say barely scraping by a team we should dominate) which certainly is not as entertaining to me as a dominant performance that is completely satisfying.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":3rjdjr76 said:

Yes! :2thumbs:

TwilightError

Reaction score
warden":1t82q3a2 said:
Eight straight winning seasons,

Seven of the last eight seasons in the playoffs

Seven of the last eight seasons with double digit wins

It is an extremely ridiculous notion to say Pete Carroll needs to go

Yep. Also Pete Carroll did not cause all the injuries that have piled up to ruin the season.