Possible contender?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jville":2ti60org said:
If there were a separate comment section like we see in blogs, the following would surely be included ...
..............................................................................................................................................................................

Did you read the post that resorted to using the old "eyeball test" ploy? Who buys into that one anymore? Optimists, Pessimists and Defeatist all see the world thru different lenses and not surprisingly arrive at different outlooks.

Then there is a denial of success statement that reads "People still being fooled by that 12-4 record" :rofl: .... Priceless

Forum posts may not be as cute as the old Art Linkletter Show ..... but many often say the darndest things. Comic Relief.

Whats wrong with the eye test? Watching a team every week gives a person a strong indication of how good that team truly is. Again, the 12-4 was a paper record that wasnt a true outlier of the teams talent. I ask once again, how many teams above .500 did they beat? Wins accumulated with that creampuff schedule fooled people into the false belief that the team was better than they really were. By just watching the team, one should have known they were going to get thumped in the postseason, and they did. I guess some refuse to accept the obvious though. Worse than that, some might be unable to see the obvious.

BASF

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2swmhaet said:
Jville":2swmhaet said:
If there were a separate comment section like we see in blogs, the following would surely be included ...
..............................................................................................................................................................................

Did you read the post that resorted to using the old "eyeball test" ploy? Who buys into that one anymore? Optimists, Pessimists and Defeatist all see the world thru different lenses and not surprisingly arrive at different outlooks.

Then there is a denial of success statement that reads "People still being fooled by that 12-4 record" :rofl: .... Priceless

Forum posts may not be as cute as the old Art Linkletter Show ..... but many often say the darndest things. Comic Relief.

Whats wrong with the eye test? Watching a team every week gives a person a strong indication of how good that team truly is. Again, the 12-4 was a paper record that wasnt a true outlier of the teams talent. I ask once again, how many teams above .500 did they beat? Wins accumulated with that creampuff schedule fooled people into the false belief that the team was better than they really were. By just watching the team, one should have known they were going to get thumped in the postseason, and they did. I guess some refuse to accept the obvious though. Worse than that, some might be unable to see the obvious.

Yes, it was very easy to see that Russell Wilson had checked out the last month of the season except for against a pathetic New York team at home after feeling he could just show up against another pathetic New York team and getting smacked around. When your quarterback has checked out, your team will fail especially in the playoffs.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BASF":bmrifu6p said:
pittpnthrs":bmrifu6p said:
Jville":bmrifu6p said:

Yes, it was very easy to see that Russell Wilson had checked out the last month of the season except for against a pathetic New York team at home after feeling he could just show up against another pathetic New York team and getting smacked around. When your quarterback has checked out, your team will fail especially in the playoffs.

Pete Ball will do that to a person. Sucks the soul right out of you.

John63

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1wrr059f said:
BASF":1wrr059f said:
pittpnthrs":1wrr059f said:
Jville":1wrr059f said:

Yup and it was not just Wilson, DK, Lockett, Brown and others you could see it in their demeanor.

But lets keep in mind the last moth was far form garbage

Wilson was 65% complt, 8 tds to only 2 ints so 4/1 td/int, 95 qb rating Far from bad. But I agree not the same part might be what we now know was getting dismissed by PC, part might be the sacks catching up to him,

AgentDib

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3f2807pp said:
People still being fooled by that 12-4 record.
Are they being fooled by the outcome of 16 coin flips, or are you being fooled by the outcome of one coin flip?

BASF

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3au7kuoc said:
BASF":3au7kuoc said:
pittpnthrs":3au7kuoc said:
Jville":3au7kuoc said:

Define Peteball

Jville

Reaction score
BASF":22vcsmav said:
pittpnthrs":22vcsmav said:
BASF":22vcsmav said:
pittpnthrs":22vcsmav said:

Define Peteball

That requires special lenses ......... perhaps double secret lenses to see. :rofl:

chris98251

Reaction score
Safe, conservative on offense for 3 quarters, bend but don't break on defense playing off and deep to not get a momentum play against you but give up a ton of yards in the air.

BASF

Reaction score
chris98251":t9o2xaqc said:
Safe, conservative on offense for 3 quarters.

Far too broad. That could describe the offense Brady runs with his quick passes which is as far from what we run as you can get.

chris98251

Reaction score
BASF":3hqrfgnu said:
chris98251":3hqrfgnu said:

Far too broad. That could describe the offense Brady runs with his quick passes which is as far from what we run as you can get.

Except Brady uses the middle of the field, that's not safe according to Pete, to many chances of a tip for a interception or a missed catch that bounces up for an interception.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It works in the regular season but not in the playoffs against the better teams (ie not in the wildcard games).

So I can see why he does it. But it assures we are completely out of sorts when forced to play a different style of game (usually once we are down multiple TDs in the playoffs ...and often by halftime)

But that isn't the question.

Is this roster capable of being a contender? Sure, with maybe 3-5 other coaches though. Not with this coach.

To be a contender with this roster, we would have to have both Clowney and some very fortunate matchups in the playoffs.

I think this roster with Clowney would beat GB. Assuming Carroll gave up enough TDs early enough he shifted his gameplan BEFORE halftime.

We certainly could beat most of the other NFC teams not in our division with him too. (likely the 49ers as well).

What Clowney did for the Titans is immaterial. You have to look at what he did here...and he made a huge difference here. Even with someone as clueless as Norton running our defense.

I don't think we could beat the Rams in the playoffs, even with Clowney. So we would have to miss them.

But Clowney gives us the best shot of any potential player we could feasibly sign.

Still, a low chance because Carroll coaching in the playoffs is still a handicap. Since the SB loss he has been exposed as a guy that cannot win anything other than wildcards, one reason Wilson wants out from under him. But Clowney would potentially make enough splash plays to win us a playoff game despite Carroll.

It wouldn't be a guarantee though. Clowney would have to have one of those dominant games that you can never plan for or account for.

BASF

Reaction score
chris98251":1umd4ym6 said:
BASF":1umd4ym6 said:
chris98251":1umd4ym6 said:

Except Brady uses the middle of the field, that's not safe according to Pete, to many chances of a tip for a interception or a missed catch that bounces up for an interception.

Can you provide a link to the interview where Carroll said that please.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BASF":27zax0lk said:
pittpnthrs":27zax0lk said:
BASF":27zax0lk said:
pittpnthrs":27zax0lk said:

Define Peteball

Its when Pete neuters the offense and it becomes predictable and stale and he continues to run the same schemes regardless if its working of not. Happens every year at some point. Thats why it doesnt matter who the OC is, Pete will trump all decisions eventually. People have cried for years for Pete to keep his hands off the offense, but it never happens.

BASF

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ohjeitk said:
It works in the regular season but not in the playoffs against the better teams (ie not in the wildcard games).

So I can see why he does it. But it assures we are completely out of sorts when forced to play a different style of game (usually once we are down multiple TDs in the playoffs ...and often by halftime)

But that isn't the question.

Is this roster capable of being a contender? Sure, with maybe 3-5 other coaches though. Not with this coach.

To be a contender with this roster, we would have to have both Clowney and some very fortunate matchups in the playoffs.

I think this roster with Clowney would beat GB. Assuming Carroll gave up enough TDs early enough he shifted his gameplan BEFORE halftime.

We certainly could beat most of the other NFC teams not in our division with him too. (likely the 49ers as well).

What Clowney did for the Titans is immaterial. You have to look at what he did here...and he made a huge difference here. Even with someone as clueless as Norton running our defense.

I don't think we could beat the Rams in the playoffs, even with Clowney. So we would have to miss them.

But Clowney gives us the best shot of any potential player we could feasibly sign.

Still, a low chance because Carroll coaching in the playoffs is still a handicap. Since the SB loss he has been exposed as a guy that cannot win anything other than wildcards, one reason Wilson wants out from under him. But Clowney would potentially make enough splash plays to win us a playoff game despite Carroll.

It wouldn't be a guarantee though. Clowney would have to have one of those dominant games that you can never plan for or account for.

You keep bringing up Clowney, but did you see him play last year. He is no longer what you believe him to be.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pitt is on point. The offense is extremely predictable quite often. His lack of willingness to adjust in game, let alone getting outcoached game after game...…..my confidence is way down with Pete.
Shoot, how many times has Russ saved him over the years? SO many times.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ab6ehco said:
Pitt is on point. The offense is extremely predictable quite often. His lack of willingness to adjust in game, let alone getting outcoached game after game...…..my confidence is way down with Pete.

That's why Wilson leads the league in 4th qtr adn OT comeback wins since he came in the league, and what happens during these comebacks? Wilson calls all the plays at the line, and we change the tempo.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dmwraek said:
And this is based on how many games you have watched with Shane Waldron as our Offensive Coordinator?

You guys whine the offense is predictable, apparently Pete agrees, so the Seahawks fire the old OC and hire a new one, and you still complain it's predictable without even seeing the new guy's schemes.

Ridiculous.

How about we give it a chance before writing it off?

John63

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13fdh7hi said:
SoulfishHawk":13fdh7hi said:
And this is based on how many games you have watched with Shane Waldron as our Offensive Coordinator?

You guys whine the offense is predictable, apparently Pete agrees, so the Seahawks fire the old OC and hire a new one, and you still complain it's predictable without even seeing the new guy's schemes.

Ridiculous.

How about we give it a chance before writing it off?

I think they are saying up to now they have been, We dont know what it will be like with Waldron.

But we have had 2 OCs and both had the same predictability problem. POC has had 3+ in his NFL career and again they all had predictable offenses. So given that dynamic, and the common denominator there is reason to believe we will again. Though I am willing to wait and see,

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Changing the OC won't change the outcome.

Not sure it matters because Carroll is our coach. As Carroll is the one holding the team back, changing out the OCs would have to be incredible to overcome Carroll's inability to change, somehow adhere to his ridiculous gameplan, and still get results from the great players he has.

Nothing is impossible but we are firmly at improbable.

Clowney wouldn't automatically fix the above. Not even sure he would counter it.

But if he had one of his randomly spectacular games for us, he could win a game that Carroll was doing everything to lose. Which is the point.

We would need wildcards. One from Adams another from Clowney in a different game. Maybe one from Wilson if Carroll stopped his gutless stupidity enough to allow his QB to win for him.

Chances would be slim. But at least possible.

We don't need Clowney to be healthy. He could miss 10 regular-season games and it would be no issue. We need him in the playoffs just to win one game. That is it. He has to play for 1 game, not 16, not 17. The idea that his durability matters is a myth, because we get to the playoffs with this roster even without Clowney. Nobody should care if he plays more than 3 games if the games he plays in are playoff wins.