Rams @ 49ers Sunday Night Football

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Good game Niners fans.

Kind of thought that would happen with the Niners playing for their season and the Rams playing their 4th road game in 5 weeks.

Goff and Kupp were awful, everyone else just okay - and if Goff and Kupp upgraded from "awful" to "okay", I think we win (actually, if Kupp just catches that TD, this game could have been tied and Goff still would have been playing awful), which has me somewhat encouraged - we played about as bad as we could have and the Niners played about as well as they could have and it ended up being an 8 point loss.

One concerning trend is that McVay is not faring well against Shanahan head to head - we will need to beat them when we play again.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":34gsx2m3 said:
Lessons from this game:

1 - Hope Carroll takes some time to pick apart how the 49ers put a gameplan in place to assure the Rams DL did not dominate this game. There were a lot of plays to take advantage of overpursuit and then the passes were quick and for the most part Jimmy G was upright the entire night.

2 - Really need to make sure we do not defend the 49ers like we are defending everyone else. That soft stuff we allow, and the tendency of our guys to bail out at the snap, play off coverage, or just take outside leverage where possible? That will kill us. You cannot expect to allow complete passes and make the tackles against the 49ers. They will turn short passes into 3rd downs.

What the 49ers accomplished tonight was impressive though.

I vastly prefer playing Seattle instead of San Francisco because since last year, the Niners have been successful with these quick pitches and plays behind the LOS. Tough for our DL to get going.

Seahawks love to throw deep and Wilson tends to hold the ball more. I doubt Seattle will change that and that's why we usually have success against them.

Shanahan dialed up an awesome game plan, but once the Rams adjusted their offense was mostly shut down. The defense must have had no idea what was coming in that first half with how bad they looked though.

Overall we just didn't have it tonight.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1cdv0654 said:
TwistedHusky":1cdv0654 said:
Lessons from this game:

1 - Hope Carroll takes some time to pick apart how the 49ers put a gameplan in place to assure the Rams DL did not dominate this game. There were a lot of plays to take advantage of overpursuit and then the passes were quick and for the most part Jimmy G was upright the entire night.

2 - Really need to make sure we do not defend the 49ers like we are defending everyone else. That soft stuff we allow, and the tendency of our guys to bail out at the snap, play off coverage, or just take outside leverage where possible? That will kill us. You cannot expect to allow complete passes and make the tackles against the 49ers. They will turn short passes into 3rd downs.

I vastly prefer playing Seattle instead of San Francisco because since last year, the Niners have been successful with these quick pitches and plays behind the LOS. Tough for our DL to get going.

Seahawks love to throw deep and Wilson tends to hold the ball more. I doubt Seattle will change that and that's why we usually have success against them.

Shanahan dialed up an awesome game plan, but once the Rams adjusted their offense was mostly shut down. The defense must have had no idea what was coming in that first half with how bad they looked though.

I've been trying to have this conversation for awhile. Its not an accident. Shanahan drafts guys with backgrounds as RBs or KRs for a reason. His whole scheme is about running the ball and getting athletes in space. Deebo, Kittle...YAC monsters.

Then you add Aiyuk who is a YAC monster himself. They drafted Jalen Hurd same year as Deebo because he was an ex-RB. He just can't get healthy.

Having said all that, I did not see this final score coming. Jimmy is still hampered. Its clear. Great gameplan to minimize that.

I was worried when Mostert went down. Nobody at RB is remotely close to as explosive as he is on SF roster.

As I said last week, the problem has been injuries. Just getting ONE CB back just made an enormous difference.

Yes, the Kupp drops were huge, but Niners had a few as well...both Bourne and Kittle dropped balls that would have extended drives on 3rd down.

Fade

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3eafn705 said:
Lessons from this game:

1. You know better than me, Twisted. Pete is going to ignore how the Rams have been getting carved up a certain way for years now, and continue to just run their stuff. Wilson is going to have to run around like he did in their first meeting last year and make magic happen. I would personally love for them to come out and run jets and bubbles to DK & Moore though, boot Russ early and often.

2. There is hope here. Pete played the most pathetic soft zone I had ever seen against Tampa last year before the first Niners game. They came out in press against the Niners and they looked the best they did all season for most of that game. Jamar Taylor in the nickle/slot though was hella bad and was the weak link they picked on all night. He got cut after that game. Coincidentally, I believe he is now on the Niners this season. :D

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":vsklrb2i said:
TypeSly":vsklrb2i said:
Threedee":vsklrb2i said:
I do not think Goff has a high ceiling. As a disclaimer, I thought Kaeperpick would be an excellent QB in 2013 (not Jaworski HOF caliber, but, excellent).

I hope you're right, but from what I've read, Goff's got a Jeff George-like arm, with some actual intelligence. I don't see this kid failing in the NFL.

But he ain't Russ ;)
Did you perhaps just step out of a time machine from 4 years ago?

I guess I must have? But please...Do show us your evidence of a season where the Rams were easy for the Seahawks. <mod edit> No ad hominem allowed

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":22sklibo said:
Ramfan128":22sklibo said:
TwistedHusky":22sklibo said:
Lessons from this game:

I've been trying to have this conversation for awhile. Its not an accident. Shanahan drafts guys with backgrounds as RBs or KRs for a reason. His whole scheme is about running the ball and getting athletes in space. Deebo, Kittle...YAC monsters.

Then you add Aiyuk who is a YAC monster himself. They drafted Jalen Hurd same year as Deebo because he was an ex-RB. He just can't get healthy.

Having said all that, I did not see this final score coming. Jimmy is still hampered. Its clear. Great gameplan to minimize that.

I was worried when Mostert went down. Nobody at RB is remotely close to as explosive as he is on SF roster.

As I said last week, the problem has been injuries. Just getting ONE CB back just made an enormous difference.

Yes, the Kupp drops were huge, but Niners had a few as well...both Bourne and Kittle dropped balls that would have extended drives on 3rd down.

Oh for sure. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Niners at all - I mean, if you guys were full healthy, we would have lost 30-0 there.

We just didn't come to play. McVay said it best in his post game: players who we expect to play well and make those plays just didn't. This was Goff's worst game of his career IMO, because all his other bad games he was under duress. Not so last night.

I can't point to a single Ram that played well besides Henderson and maybe Ramsey.

So while I know the Niners left some stuff on the field too, I'm not too upset that we played the worst game of the McVay era and only lost by 8.

I think McVay was mad because he knew Jimmy was hampered and expected what happened in the second half to happen all game. Can't give enough credit to Shanahan - I know the players had to execute, but to me he is the main reason they won last night.

I'm not sure how much you watch the Rams, but last night almost every player played worse and/or had uncharacteristic penalties than they have all season. I'm not sure what happened but it was such an anomaly in that regard that it doesn't concern me at all. If it happens again, I'll believe that's who we are - but until then, I still think are a contender

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Didn't see that coming at all. Props to the Niners, they played a hell of a game.
The mighty Rams were sitting on 9 points for most of the game......hmmm.

themunn

Reaction score
Second half drives by both teams:

3rd quarter:
Rams: FG
Niners: Punt (3 and out)
Rams: Punt (3 and out)
Niners: Punt (3 and out)
Rams: INT
Niners: Punt (4 plays)
Rams: Punt (5 plays)

4th quarter:
Niners: Punt (7 plays)
Rams: Punt (3 and out)
Niners: FG
Rams: TD
Niners: Kneel out for end of game

Some serious offensive action going on there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Homer or not, I just don't see anything to fear from Goff or pretty boy. IF they get time back there, sure they can shred a Defense. But many QB's can. Game on the line and/or under pressure? They both fold in the big moment.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
TypeSly":2xdw4mky said:
OrangeGravy":2xdw4mky said:
TypeSly":2xdw4mky said:
Threedee":2xdw4mky said:
I do not think Goff has a high ceiling. As a disclaimer, I thought Kaeperpick would be an excellent QB in 2013 (not Jaworski HOF caliber, but, excellent).

I hope you're right, but from what I've read, Goff's got a Jeff George-like arm, with some actual intelligence. I don't see this kid failing in the NFL.

But he ain't Russ ;)

I guess I must have? But please...Do show us your evidence of a season where the Rams were easy for the Seahawks. <mod edit> No ad hominem allowed
What does the Rams being a tough matchup for the Seahawks have to with your pre-draft like evaluation of Goff? What you wrote, read like something you read about Goff coming out of college. He's been in the league for a while. He's not great, but he's past the point of failing in the league. What you wrote just struck me as odd in that way.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3qty723q said:
Homer or not, I just don't see anything to fear from Goff or pretty boy. IF they get time back there, sure they can shred a Defense. But many QB's can. Game on the line and/or under pressure? They both fold in the big moment.

If we go back and look at since Shanahan and McVay became head coaches, you have:

Rams are 3-4 against the Niners (3 wins minus Jimmy)
Seahawks are 2-4 against the Rams (one win on missed FG last year by GZ)
Niners are 2-4 against Seattle (one win needing a non PI call to beat Seattle last year)

So, this is pretty clear: Rams struggle with Niners. Niners struggle with Seahawks. Seahawks struggle with Rams.

Despite this game, I definitely think we end up better than the Niners. So, as a Seahawks fan, I think it's fine (and realistic) to say that they might struggle with the Rams AND could end up being better. That's exactly how I feel about the Niners, but we just struggle with them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I think getting their asses handed to them woke up the 49ers last week, no matter who you put out there high effort would have been given, no player wants to be embarrassed like they were.

Rams not ready, bullshit, a decades long rivalry that has a nastiness to it, they just got beat badly by a team wanting redemption.

Tell me who is interested and wants GB next week after getting embarrassed on National TV by the Bucs?

James in PA

Reaction score
It seems like the Hawks, Rams, and Niners are playing some real-life Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rams have 4 wins, all against the NFC Least. Yawn.
Good team, probably. But the way people crown them around here is pretty funny imo.

OP
OP
TypeSly

TypeSly

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3ptz6fss said:
TypeSly":3ptz6fss said:
OrangeGravy":3ptz6fss said:
TypeSly":3ptz6fss said:

But he ain't Russ ;)

What does the Rams being a tough matchup for the Seahawks have to with your pre-draft like evaluation of Goff? What you wrote, read like something you read about Goff coming out of college. He's been in the league for a while. He's not great, but he's past the point of failing in the league. What you wrote just struck me as odd in that way.

Well, if you read the original post before these "quoted" posts, you would know that conversation started off in me saying that the Rams are a tough match up for us every year, whether it's an up or down year. Am I supposed to know that you were only responding to my comments about Goff, from your condescending "time machine" post?

*and did you notice, the "He ain't Russ" part of it? I figure, that would explain that I'm disagreeing with the poster saying that I IMO, think that Goff's pretty darn good, but not "great" yet like Russ. But your one sentence condescending post just explains your POV so greatly. :sarcasm_off:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1186py2t said:
Fair enough. I think there will be some great battles all season. Looking forward to it.

And Arizona just made a statement last night. No Dak so, I'm not going to say it was more impressive than the Rams or Seahawks win over Dallas, but a statement nonetheless.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Looking at those passing numbers from Murray, not worried about him as a passer. As a runner, he'll get his.
They also played a team sucks w/out Dak and had 4 turnovers.

Latest posts