Russ and what the announcer said.

chris98251

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2zm8p0aa said:
chris98251":2zm8p0aa said:
jamescasey1124":2zm8p0aa said:
chris98251":2zm8p0aa said:
Yeah a guy who's job it was to call a defense as a MLB doesn't know what a QB is looking at.

Need to lay off the Bong hits and Mixing Alcohol, not a good look for you.

Nope he didn't and that's why he isn't there anymore...

Haven't smoked in 15 years, but you right. Coming from a guy with a dumb ass monkey as his avatar.

Actually he had injuries knees mostly.

NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
2004 NFL All-Rookie Team
2011 NFL Top 100 (#37)
2012 NFL Top 100 (#58)

Yep he was nothing.

At least I can figure out how to have one

Haha. None those accolades for Vilma ever mattered.

Of course they don't, they do not support your narrative and that of just about every other person that covers the NFL, played the position or has as a defender studied offenses and know the routes and check downs.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":n0925kne said:
jamescasey1124":n0925kne said:
Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

A QB has entered the chat...

[youtube]E6BUU_FZAPE[/youtube]

This is not just some one-off. Unless you just choose to not see it.

seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking or never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.

Holmgren was just ono 710 earlier explaining how part of the problem is receivers not doing what they are supposed to do, like breaking in when they should break out, etc. To me, the problem with the offense is not just one thing it's all things they are not clicking. Wilson is part of that. The issue for me is his history of steller play buys him a few games. I mean if OPC can get a pass because he got us an SB 7 years ago Wilson should get a pass for a few bad games that all QBs have a season.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3w4yhkij said:
hoxrox":3w4yhkij said:
jamescasey1124":3w4yhkij said:
Your guys problem is listening to Johnathan Vilma. Linebacker and didn't last very long in the league. I'm sure he knows how to read the defense with qb perspective. Loaf of crap.

seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

AS to Warner that si fine but le time also remind you he puts Wilson perennial in his top 5 every year. 1 game is not an indication of all games.

And decreasing every year now

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1izvsuv9 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1izvsuv9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1izvsuv9 said:
Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.
Russ has always been a “backyard” football player.

He has never been great at reading and dissect the defense.

That isn’t who he is and who he will ever be.

I agree, and that's why I think Russell's play will only continue to deteriorate as he ages and loses more and more escapability.

If he hasn't at least become average to above average at reading defenses and making the correct protection and line checks by year 11? It's not happening.

Completely agree.
Wilson is all about improv. Teams have figured this out.
We all hoped and wished for Wilson to actually go through his progressions and make the right decision. Instead, he's always been a one read and run quarterback. Relying on the play breaking down to make the defense pay. That ship has sailed.

JGreen79

Reaction score
chris98251":379vcrqe said:
John63":379vcrqe said:
hoxrox":379vcrqe said:
jamescasey1124":379vcrqe said:

seen it before and okay. no one said Wilson is perfect no QB is every QB misses things have you watched 5 of the last 7 games from Mahomes? There is a difference between he makes a mistake sometimes and he sucks. or You don't have a lifetime passer rating over 100 2nd highest ever by sucking never hitting things or whatever. That is my problem whit the people on this board they hold Wilson to unrealistic expectations. anything less than perfect means he sucks.

As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)

John63

Reaction score
JGreen79":260p8nx5 said:
chris98251":260p8nx5 said:
John63":260p8nx5 said:
hoxrox":260p8nx5 said:

As much as I agree that Russ is struggling this year, and if he was even playing mediocre football right now this team would be above .500... His passer rating isn't really decreasing that much.

He raised it last season, and so far this season is only 101.2. his career rating is 101.6

That being said it's a flawed stat, it doesn't penalize the QB if he never throws the ball, or fumbles. QBR is much better gauge IMO. This season he is at 45.6. nearly 30 points lower than last season, and 12 points lower than his worst season (2016)

You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hxjjbxll said:
TheLegendOfBoom":hxjjbxll said:
Sgt. Largent":hxjjbxll said:
Russell's own comments after the game completely contradicting Tyler Lockett's comments might be the most damning indictment about this topic there is.

Lockett said that defenses are doing different things against their offense then they're seeing on film (and it's been that way going back to last year), and then Russell says not 10 minutes later he's having no problems recognizing what defenses are trying to do.

Considering every series is painful to watch as Russell struggles to even get a couple first downs, I tend to believe Tyler.

I agree, and that's why I think Russell's play will only continue to deteriorate as he ages and loses more and more escapability.

If he hasn't at least become average to above average at reading defenses and making the correct protection and line checks by year 11? It's not happening.

If I am going to be critical of Pete Carroll it's going to be because he is allowing these issues to happen with Russ. I think Russ needs Mike Holmgren tough love scenario. That's not Pete... I don't know how its going to play out but it's clear listening to Pete that he thinks It's a rust issue... I can't say exactly what it is because it's over my pay grade and I'm NOT going to pretend that I have all the answers because I don't... I just know there is an issue with Russ NO CLUE how to solve it...but what we saw last night was the same old same old stuff its got to change!

LTH

BamKam

Reaction score
John63":yo6jpcov said:
JGreen79":yo6jpcov said:
chris98251":yo6jpcov said:
John63":yo6jpcov said:

You see I don't like QBR because it is totally subjective. They have people analyze every play and decide who gets credit or takes the blame and ESPN has already been caught with people fudging it to help players they like. I like it when it is just a fact passer rating is a fact. tds is a fact td/int is a fact etc. QBR is the opinion of someone put to a number. Also, FYI look at his Passer rating before the injury he was leading the league, also in TDs, YPA, complt%. the 2 games since they came back from injury have hurt it all. Also, FYI even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective.

You don't like it because it currently isn't a favorable stat for RW

John63

Reaction score
BamKam":1dyucxc5 said:
John63":1dyucxc5 said:
JGreen79":1dyucxc5 said:
chris98251":1dyucxc5 said:

You don't like it because it currently isn't a favorable stat for RW

I guess you missed this part "even when he had one of the best QBR I hated it as I said to subjective." as usually only reading what u want to. Or how last game I said his passer rating for that game was bad.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
hoxrox":2oawj1wn said:
jamescasey1124":2oawj1wn said:

That's so hard to watch. The guy is just a bad QB IN system. Way below average

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
John63":2zbgs09y said:
JGreen79":2zbgs09y said:
chris98251":2zbgs09y said:
John63":2zbgs09y said:

Do you like EPA per drop back? In the season's worth of games, so basically since about week 8 last season, he's 28th out of 36 qualifying QBs in one place and 21st from another outlet.

hawks85

Reaction score
keasley45":3p922t3h said:
Nonono... no concern. It's Pete. it's Waldron.

Seriously though. He's absolutley right and you have to be blind to not understand that Russs play is really bad. But the announcer gave him a pass and said he was rusty... but that play is the same play he put on the field before the injury and last year.

Its not just him, Kurt Warner can break down his game until the cows come home. And if you know anything at all about football, you can see tye same things he did on Kurts crit sessions play out every week.

Kurts summary - the Seahawks won't win again until Russel improves - ie learns to read defenses.

That's a checkmate type statement that took into account protection, the playcall, and the play design.

There's literally nothing else to see. If you don't have a QB that can execute the plays, everything after is a crapshoot, unless you take the ball put of his hands.

Kurt is 100 percent correct. Wilson is a backyard QB. This guy drops back 50 fricking yards and chucks it up and hope someone catches it. Wilson will never ever be a genuine west coast QB ever.

JGreen79

Reaction score
John63":392jgfn3 said:
JGreen79":392jgfn3 said:
chris98251":392jgfn3 said:
John63":392jgfn3 said:

A QB can only throw to receivers with a 10 yard separation, and fall down and take a sack if they don't and still have an all-time great passer rating. There is so much more a QB has to be able to do in the league to be good, it really has made the passer rating nearly obsolete.

QBR while still not great, but is by far a better gauge of how good a QB is.

John63

Reaction score
JGreen79":ky2434zx said:
John63":ky2434zx said:
JGreen79":ky2434zx said:
chris98251":ky2434zx said:

A QB can only throw to receivers with a 10 yard separation, and fall down and take a sack if they don't and still have an all-time great passer rating. There is so much more a QB has to be able to do in the league to be good, it really has made the passer rating nearly obsolete.

QBR while still not great, but is by far a better gauge of how good a QB is.

Again disagree it is subjective. Allows human error and bias. But u can use what u want. Fyi before the injury his QBr was right up there like like always is.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1arks0dc said:
Sgt. Largent":1arks0dc said:

This kinda plays into Pete's style of coaching and what he looks for in players. For Pete's systems and schemes to work he needs players with tremendous talent. When LOB was at its peak we had players at defensive skill positions that were some of the best in the league. It was talent vs talent and 9/10 Seahawk talent won out. However when the talent dried up, retired, or went elsewhere, Pete kept the system but didn't have the talent and we see the results of that.

It goes without saying that Russell is very, very talented and he's relaying on those raw skills to get by it seems rather than Pete, or him, break things down with the X's and O's.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
kurt warner hasn't had an once of russell wilson's success.

it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.

themunn

Reaction score
Tinamedina":1b1scn4l said:

it says more about kurt warner that a quarterback who isn't as quote unquote smart as him, has been more successful.

What?

2 time MVP, Superbowl champion, Superbowl MVP, one of 4 players in NFL history to QB 2 different teams in the Superbowl Kurt Warner (two of them - Brady & Manning - did it after him too)?

By what measure has Wilson been more successful other than the ones that most people consider that matter?

xray

Reaction score
Tinamedina":hyjkjivy said:

Do you actually know who Kurt Warner is ?

chris98251

Reaction score
xray":2np8za09 said:
Tinamedina":2np8za09 said:

Do you actually know who Kurt Warner is ?

He is a Seahawks Hater, but he is right in this, take him with a grain of salt many times.

He could have bagged my Grocery's I guess, Tina if she doesn't know who he is/was watch the Movie about him that is coming out I think this weekend....................

Msfann

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":13qx69aw said:
The announcer said that Russ is not reading the defense.

That's one thing I quickly noticed about Geno was he seemed much better at reading the D and changing plays than Russ is. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's anywhere close to Russ in overall skill.
If you watch guys like brady or rodgers you can tell they can see everything before the play snaps most of the time, Wilson doesn't seem to have that skill.

I'm starting to wonder if he's stubborn and not teachable, like he's uninterested in learning a new system and just does what's worked for him in the past. It would explain why the first game the plays looked creative and ever since then its been the same old vanilla crap.

I'm worried he's just taken too many hits over the years, he gets that glossed over look to his eyes and that's when the bad Russ appears. I don't want him to go anywhere, I want to see him win more subpar blows with Seattle and go into the hall of fame as one of the best qb's of all time but I am worried about some things I've seen.