Russ struggling?

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":2iolsgmw said:
Elite = top 10% of all starting NFL QBs, or top 3-4 best over the course of a season.

Okay so top 3-4 based on what?

He is top 7 in yards, top 11 in YPA top 2 in tds, top 5 in Qb rating, top 4 in complt%.

Only 3 qbs hit these marks in the NFl so Elite

Smellyman

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":39zxegbz said:
It's hard for me to tell if it's Russ or something else. It doesn't seem like guys are winning on routes on a consistent basis in the amount of time Russ has to throw. When I watch KC or GB games I see guys running wide open and a bunch of easy throws for Mahomes and Rodgers to get into a rhythm. I'm glad Shotty is running more 3 step drops and quick hitters, but I want to see a lot more pick plays, like the brilliant one to Hollister to beat the Rams. KC and GB spam the opponent with those.

Schotty is awful. He makes everything hard on RW. Reid schemes people wide open. Schotty has the RO where RW never keeps and only does straight dropbacks.

Move the pocket, run misdirection, Screens, reverses, keep it on an RO more than once every 2 months.

This O is so easy to defend now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The thing that concerns me the most is Russell's decision making and game awareness, which in the past has been superb. A good example is yesterday at the end of the first half. We had the ball on our own 30 yard line with 23 seconds left and no timeouts. We needed to move the ball at least 35 yards to have a viable chance at a long distance FG attempt, 20 or so for a Hail Mary. But Russell decides to break the pocket straight up the middle of the field, gaining about 5 yards. Our receivers, having been on deep routes, have to hustle like hell to get to the LOS so we could spike the ball, leaving about 2 seconds on the clock. We should have had at least 3 shots at getting in position for a FG attempt/Hail Mary.

Outside of that, he hasn't played that poorly to where he's losing games for us, but he's not playing anywhere close to his ability. Even so, he's still playing better than all but a handful of QB's.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":38zc518t said:
The thing that concerns me the most is Russell's decision making and game awareness, which in the past has been superb. A good example is yesterday at the end of the first half. We had the ball on our own 30 yard line with 23 seconds left and no timeouts. We needed to move the ball at least 35 yards to have a viable chance at a long distance FG attempt, 20 or so for a Hail Mary. But Russell decides to break the pocket straight up the middle of the field, gaining about 5 yards. Our receivers, having been on deep routes, have to hustle like hell to get to the LOS so we could spike the ball, leaving about 2 seconds on the clock. We should have had at least 3 shots at getting in position for a FG attempt/Hail Mary. He also seems to run into more sacks than he used to. Not sure if that due to bad decisions or just getting slow.

Outside of that, he hasn't played that poorly to where he's losing games for us, but he's not playing anywhere close to his ability. Even so, he's still playing better than all but a handful of QB's.

sutz

Reaction score
Why do I keep thinking that "Russ is struggling" just means "Russ isn't putting up great fantasy stats"?

:twisted:

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":3i0e21nh said:
Why do I keep thinking that "Russ is struggling" just means "Russ isn't putting up great fantasy stats"?

I agree...

LTH

John63

Reaction score
sutz":1kxaqnaa said:

THIS

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I do think Russ has been struggling a bit and I think it's more of a gameplan approach than him specifically. They have really tried to take a lot of decisions out of his hands and where he's struggled has been when he tries to extend plays (for the most part).

I don't know how much struggling though he's doing because we're winning these games and that's basically all Pete tries to do.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Something is off with Russ, and I'm not going to throw a bunch of stats out there to defend my point. As someone else in this thread mentioned, it's the eye test, and if you're viewing his play objectively, it should be pretty obvious. He's not the same QB he was early in the season, or even in seasons past. He seems to have lost some confidence, and has been very hesitant and indecisive ever since that stretch when he was turning the ball over a lot.

This is just a theory, but I wonder if he's being somewhat handcuffed by Pete who's instructing him to protect the ball at all costs and not to throw into any tight windows which may be causing the hesitation? This is just a guess on my part, and I have nothing to back that up with. All I know is he doesn't look like the same QB, and his decision-making has been very questionable at times. Something is causing him to second-guess himself on occasion, and I don't recall ever seeing that from him before. He has always been supremely confident in whatever he's doing.

Whatever the issue may be, I hope he finds his stride again before the playoffs get under way as we're going to need him to be at the top of his game.

renofox

Reaction score
TraderGary":2u4ic18l said:
Something is off with Russ, and I'm not going to throw a bunch of stats out there to defend my point. As someone else in this thread mentioned, it's the eye test, and if you're viewing his play objectively, it should be pretty obvious. He's not the same QB he was early in the season, or even in seasons past. He seems to have lost some confidence, and has been very hesitant and indecisive ever since that stretch when he was turning the ball over a lot.

This is just a theory, but I wonder if he's being somewhat handcuffed by Pete who's instructing him to protect the ball at all costs and not to throw into any tight windows which may be causing the hesitation? This is just a guess on my part, and I have nothing to back that up with. All I know is he doesn't look like the same QB, and his decision-making has been very questionable at times. Something is causing him to second-guess himself on occasion, and I don't recall ever seeing that from him before. He has always been supremely confident in whatever he's doing.

Whatever the issue may be, I hope he finds his stride again before the playoffs get under way as we're going to need him to be at the top of his game.

Agree about the results, no idea of the cause. I think he's already on the way out of his annual slump. He's been playing progressively better as the season draws to a close. I think he'll be back to at least normal RW, and maybe even elite RW, by the time he hits the playoffs.

TraderGary

Reaction score
I'm also perplexed as to why they're not trying to get DK more involved in the offense, and finding different ways to get him the ball. They should be throwing him at least a couple deep 50/50 balls per game when he's being isolated, and let him go up and make a play. With his size and strength, he should win those most of the time.

I also think Tyler may be nursing an injury that they're trying to keep under wraps. He's been very quiet for a number of weeks now. I think when the Hawks season is over, (hopefully after the SB), we may very well hear that he's been playing hurt.

Regardless, we are not getting the ball to our play-makers which is a contributing factor to our lack of offense and RW's regression. We have also gone back to a much more conservative "Pete Ball" type of offensive philosophy. Granted, we have been playing some pretty tough defenses in recent weeks.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
renofox":2v1son1m said:
TraderGary":2v1son1m said:

Agree about the results, no idea of the cause. I think he's already on the way out of his annual slump. He's been playing progressively better as the season draws to a close. I think he'll be back to at least normal RW, and maybe even elite RW, by the time he hits the playoffs.

Russ has Not lost confidence... I know this for a fact...The reason why he is not having the success he did early on is simple... teams have adjusted to take away the long ball... they are making the Hawks beat them in other ways... really.. it's that simple...

LTH

TraderGary

Reaction score
renofox":18kewtbk said:
TraderGary":18kewtbk said:

I hope you're right. Our defense is playing great, but without Russ playing at or near the top of his game, I don't think we can beat teams like the Packers and Saints, and possibly even TB.

TraderGary

Reaction score
LTH":3phgmksi said:
renofox":3phgmksi said:
TraderGary":3phgmksi said:

Russ has Not lost confidence... I know this for a fact...The reason why he is not having the success he did early on is simple... teams have adjusted to take away the long ball... they are making the Hawks beat them in other ways... really.. it's that simple...

LTH
I don't believe it is that simple. Yes teams have been scheming to take away the deep ball. But it goes deeper than that.

RW is not calm in the pocket. He's been very jittery, indecisive, takes off when he doesn't need to, and frankly looks lost at times. Now that may be a direct result of all the hits he's been taking. But the fact is, he is not playing at the level he was early on, or even in years past. That being said, I still have confidence in him and his abilities and believe he will figure it out and return to playing at an elite level again, hopefully before the first playoff game.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we're gonna find out after the season that Russ hasn't been close to 100%.

I think he takes more hits than almost any QB in the league(i have no stats to back that up) so it's bound to cause some issues.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2mjk7vvc said:
I'm pretty sure we're gonna find out after the season that Russ hasn't been close to 100%.

I think he takes more hits than almost any QB in the league(i have no stats to back that up) so it's bound to cause some issues.
You may very well be right about that.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2o9n12o5 said:
Russ plays elite football at times....sometimes long glorious stretches of time that allow us to throw the MVP moniker around.

He also gets into funks where he struggles. Moreso than you see with guys like Mahomes and Rodgers IMO.

When hes on, hes as good as there is. But the lack of consistency, to me, keeps him from being a top 3 QB. Doesnt mean he isnt the best weve ever had, Russ is a DANG good QB and I am glad we have him.

Lmao mahomes hasn't exactly been lighting it up the last month, do any of you recall the numerous times the lob made Rodgers look human? ALL qbs struggle at times.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TraderGary":1obk1gdn said:
LTH":1obk1gdn said:
renofox":1obk1gdn said:
TraderGary":1obk1gdn said:

LTH
I don't believe it is that simple. Yes teams have been scheming to take away the deep ball. But it goes deeper than that.

RW is not calm in the pocket. He's been very jittery, indecisive, takes off when he doesn't need to, and frankly looks lost at times. Now that may be a direct result of all the hits he's been taking. But the fact is, he is not playing at the level he was early on, or even in years past. That being said, I still have confidence in him and his abilities and believe he will figure it out and return to playing at an elite level again, hopefully before the first playoff game.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion...but your really not bringing anything to the table that is ANYWHERE NEAR concrete...

If you pay attention to Carroll at his PC he doesn't put his players in harm's way for the win...there are multiple examples of this... the team would know if there is something wrong with Russ because of all the concussion protocols...

I certainly don't agree that he is jittery and indecisive he has been doing a really good job of making his reads and managing games at an MVP level only they are not scoring 37 points a game...Russ problem if he has one is that he wants to do to much...

sometimes an apple is just an apple dude but if you want to make it an apple pie, have at it...

LTH

rcaido

Reaction score
You guys are silly...

This is Wilson best statistic year...Wilson will have 4000yrd 40tds w 70% completion...

We won in the toughest division, if 49ers were healthy probably all 4 would be in the playoffs.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
rcaido":7864h7fj said:
You guys are silly...

This is Wilson best statistic year...Wilson will have 4000yrd 40tds w 70% completion...

We won in the toughest division, if 49ers were healthy probably all 4 would be in the playoffs.

But just like there's a 1st half and 2nd half of the season defensively, there seems to be a corresponding trend with RW's play. He put up most of the big numbers earlier in the season, and less lately.

Yes, teams are scheming, and there's no question in my mind that the quick-blitzing Cardinals gave other teams an approach to slow him down a bit.

He's a fantastic QB, and I wouldn't really want anyone else on this team with this coaching staff. But he's there could be any number of reasons things don't look like the start of the year from RW personally (mental/physical) to play-calling to defensive fronts faced, etc. The sample-size isn't huge, so it's not like we can make firm conclusions without the data that PC and RW are probably never going to share with fans like us.