Russ struggling?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, he WAS struggling, briefly. All while trying to carry the team when the defense WAS (again, was) incredibly bad.
If you're going to have to force things and carry the team, it is going to lead to turnovers, period.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2lzzd8xu said:
Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.

Game

Rams 62.5 CMP% 93.9 QBR 1 TD

Not the Skins 66.7 CMP% 73.2 QBR 1 TD

Jets 77.8 CMP% 122.6 QBR 4 TD's

Giants 62.8 CMP% 78.0 QBR 1 TD

Eagles 71.0 CMP% 102.9 QBR 1 TD

Cardinals 82.1 CMP% 119.8 QBR 2 TD's

Out of these six games, only the Giants game would I say Russell struggled or "been off."

Efficient, accurate, timely plays when it matters. That's his game...............and after 10 years anyone thinking he should be more week in and week out? That's on you, because that's not who he is as a QB.

At times like we saw early in the year? Sure, but that's not ever been his game. What we've seen in the last 5-6 weeks is.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1a9ugomx said:
Except for he HAS won the big one. And has flat out carried this team for years, on many occasions.

The Defense was so bad earlier in the year, he had to try to put it all on himself. Thus, forcing things. Not his usual style. People quickly forget that he has always been VERY good at staying away from turnovers. This year, he had that stretch, but he's fine.

All I was saying that Russell, like all quarterbacks, is going to get criticized almost as much as the head coach does regardless of how well they might have played in the past. It's as American as apple pie.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think Russ is struggling. Some things I saw:

1) He's always underthrown his deep balls, like the 45 yarder to Moore. But the last few games he's straight up missed, like the over throw of Lockett and putting the deep ball to Metcalf on the boundary after Metcalf had won early to the inside.
2) Decision making is slow or bad. Someone mentioned his 8-yard scramble up the middle with 0:23 in the first half. On the TD he just ran up to the line and stopped, before realizing he had an open path to the pylon. There were also a couple screens, where the play was set up perfect, but he wouldn't throw the ball because the linemen intentionally let through were in his face.
3) Won't use his outlet. This is another thing he does that makes me nuts. Taking sacks or grounding it with his outlet standing in the flat smoking a cigarette.

That said, he's still a great QB. I just think he's either under-prepared or over-prepared because he's getting indecisive which makes him miss opportunities or rush and make mistakes (aka career high 13 INT).

capncrunch

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1d3a3gmc said:
I'm laughing more at the fact that no matter what this guy does, it's never good enough.
A bunch of whining 12's on the radio were complaining that Russ "should have ran" instead of throwing an absolute dime to Moore. Geez man, he just can't win.
Lord Rodgers and Mahomes do the same exact thing all the time, they get praised for it. Russ does it, he's making a "bad decision"
He only "should have ran it" if it DOESN'T WORK. You could point to many QB's around the league and see a play that they had a bunch of running room, but threw it downfield. It's not some uncommon thing.
If he does run it, people will point out that he missed a wide open player. If he doesn't run it, he gets blasted for that.

I didn't like the play calling that was keeping him in the pocket. Not against that D Line. But at the same time, 2 HUGE touchdown drives in the 2nd half. And Russ being Nails AGAIN. They are not even close to 11-4 without him under center. Can he play better? Absolutely. But he was basically carrying the team the first half of the season because what WAS a historically bad defense.

Wow. I am glad you are posting. Some times he's gonna run it and sometimes he's gonna throw it. Great connection there with DMo. In the same game, he feigns pass and runs it in for a touchdown. There were probably a bunch spassses sitting on their couch on that play screaming throw it, throw it already. Thank god they don't get to decide anything, or even handle water boy duties.

Obviously there are coaching and game planning impact on what Russ is doing. It will be interesting to see how they attack the 49ers. I think we'll see a lot of Air Russ early and a lot of running in the second half.

John63

Reaction score
ludakrishna":kpnhvan2 said:
He’s making $35M/Year. He IS the highest paid player in the NFL this season.

Is he playing like the highest paid player in the league?
No!

Is he playing like a top 5 QB in the league?
No! Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, Tannehill playing better than him.

and yet the stats who other otherwise. He si on of only 23qbs in the top 11 in yeards, ypa, tds, qb rating, and complt%

Hmm

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":246jemet said:
Tale of Russell's season:

Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

Absolutely.

Don't agree, He can work on their levels, but that is not what PC wants as he said. Also Rodgers and Mahomes are in more pass orientated offenses with more Offensive minded coaches and a team built for passing. Hence why they always seem to have someone wide open while we do not. Why they game plan to get them open we don't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
John63":1jlgfobu said:
Sgt. Largent":1jlgfobu said:

Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

Absolutely.

Don't agree, He can work on their levels, but that is not what PC wants as he said. Also Rodgers and Mahomes are in more pass orientated offenses with more Offensive minded coaches and a team built for passing. Hence why they always seem to have someone wide open while we do not. Why they game plan to get them open we don't.

Russ proved during weeks 6-11 that he can't work on their levels. He proved that he is prone to panicking, making bad line and protection calls and is hesitant with the ball when it's all on him to carry the offense.

So you can blame Pete, the system, Schotty, or anyone else you want to..........but this is a discussion we've had for going on 10 years. The "Let Russ Cook" garbage should die a horrible death.

Because he showed us this year he's not on the same level as Mahomes and Rodgers that can carry a team game in, game out, year in and year out.

Russell NEEDS that offensive balance to do his thing, and he does it well and I'm glad he's our QB. But to keep pounding this drum makes no sense. He proved to you he cannot do it all the time this very year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
He has been running for his life his entire career.
He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.
But he absolutely has to be on top of his game in the Playoffs, and we all know what he's capable of. Or should. I'm not worried about Russ. Team game, it's obviously that ANY team needs to be on top of their game in the playoffs.
Shoot, look at the Chiefs, they are best team in the league imo. However, the last month and a half, they are barely putting teams away. Fortunately for them, they have a QB, who like Russ, can finish games and get that W, even if the team isn't playing their best.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":647blh4d said:
Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.

I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

8 Int's
under 70% completion percentage
4 losses

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But still 11 wins, 70 percent plus, 4000 plus and 38 TD's.
That's pretty damn solid. He clearly needs a running game though. Looks like the true Russ when he has that in the mix.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2gz46ros said:
But still 11 wins, 70 percent plus, 4000 plus and 38 TD's.
That's pretty damn solid.

Yep, all within the confines of Pete's balanced offensive philosophy. Just like every other year Russell's excelled.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love this offense a lot more when it's more balanced. What he didn't have when he was "struggling" and forcing things was that running game. Carson/Hyde/Penny, completely different team with that 3 headed monster. This team is better when they are pounding the rock and setting up play action. Russ is VERY capable of doing anything those 2 guys can do. But is it the right thing for THIS team to just sling it all over the yard, not really imo. However, they flat out ARE capable of winning in a shootout if needed. They were averaging over 30 a game for most of the season. But, the newer/more balanced offense just feels a lot better and more suited to his strengths. Shoot, look at the huge 3rd down conversions by DK. They were shorter passes and they let him use his strength to get that 1st down. Nice adjustment by Shotty. In the WFT game, it was about running the ball and short passing game. They gave up zero sacks. That was huge. They are very capable of not only being balanced, but of adjusting. Sometimes, it does feel like they don't adjust. So, when they actually do, you really appreciate it.
As far as the short passing game goes, one thing I will never understand is the fact that people still claim he can't throw from the pocket. Just ridiculous and flat out not true. He can also dink and dunk a team all day. Just as he can win a shootout.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
John63":16hkw09t said:
renofox":16hkw09t said:
RW is struggling - to play at the ELITE level of which we know he is capable.

Even while struggling, he is playing at an above-average level for NFL QBs. BUT, he is playing at below his average, especially on 3rd downs which is the most impactful down for QB performance.

The eye test and the stats both prove this.

RW seems to have stretches of not-elite play every year, some longer than others. This year the stretch lasted longer than normal but it looks like his play is improving and will be back to elite level by the time the Seahawks hit the playoffs.

The question is what is your definition of elite play?

Is it 4 td and 300+ yards every game, in which case no Qb is elite

So first define Elite. Then we can have the discussion

Elite "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society".
There is only a handful of QB's I would put on the elite page Brady and Brees, Mahomes and Mahomes might not be there I haven't watch enough of his games to see it.

What does Brady and Brees have that other QB's don't the ability to read the Defense hell they call out protection on the line of course I listen to the announcers on what they are saying how about the Go routes they call and get pissed when the receiver doesn't do what their suppose to.

Now the shoe on the other foot Elite: Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Murry what do these QB's have that a Brady or Brees don't the ability to stretch the play out the ability to run and get yardage but out of these QB's Wilson and Mahomes is the best they're way more accurate.

So if we had a Wilson ability with a Brady Ability That would be awesome. If Wilson just had a top notched QB coach I'd bet he would be with out a doubt number one in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":r356pwae said:
SoulfishHawk":r356pwae said:

I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

8 Int's
under 70% completion percentage
4 losses
This is perhaps the best post in this saga of RW being elite/not elite..

Jerhawk

Reaction score
We're very fortunate to have Wilson as our QB.

He's not perfect, but who is?
As long as he's not turning the ball over and completes 70% of his passes, the Seahawks have a great chance to win.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27mc2wcn said:

Absolutely.

Yep...That's exactly it... Russ isn't struggling Football is a game of constant adjustment..

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ Struggling =

He isn't putting up the numbers for me to win my Fantasy week anymore !