Russ struggling?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I prefer to see that Russ is trending up, even while playing vs top rated defenses. His QB rating for last half vs Ram was back up to something like 135.
But the real improvement is reduction in turnovers. Winning the TO battle is crucial to our chances.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, being a lot more careful with the ball. Turnovers way down. And they put up 20 against very good defenses in back to back weeks. You can't underestimate how HUGE that 80 yard dagger drive was. That was vintage Russ, nails with the game on the line. We've seen it so many times, it's not really that surprising.
The fact that they did against that team, with the division on the line is huge. It's a great confidence booster, and he was right back to laser focused, I'm about to rip your heart out Russ.

Polk738

Reaction score
Mike Upati and Brandon Shell being out obviously doesn't help against Aaron Donald, he dominated the line again-nothing new there-but you can see Russ is still making some very questionable throws-he nearly had ANOTHER INT with that quick throw to Lockett and yes the David Moore throw and catch was awesome but IIRC it was on another 3rd and short yardage situation. I consider these "hero" ball throws in these situations because instead of working to convert the 3rd down in short yards Russ still feels the need to go for the hard throws-it's exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polk738":1rsxz8ia said:
Mike Upati and Brandon Shell being out obviously doesn't help against Aaron Donald, he dominated the line again-nothing new there-but you can see Russ is still making some very questionable throws-he nearly had ANOTHER INT with that quick throw to Lockett and yes the David Moore throw and catch was awesome but IIRC it was on another 3rd and short yardage situation. I consider these "hero" ball throws in these situations because instead of working to convert the 3rd down in short yards Russ still feels the need to go for the hard throws-it's exciting and frustrating at the same time.

He also made one of the most beautiful quick decision touch passes to Hollister with Donald in his face to seal the game.

Half a second of hesitation and he gets sacked.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Re the third down percentage, 8-17 is better than our overall season number isn't it? BTW, the Rams average giving up 18 points per game. When I look back at their schedule, the Hawks did as well as possibly anyone else. Tampa scored 24 but Brady threw at least 2 picks. Bills scored 32 but turned it over too.

When it was 6-6 at the half the game really reminded me of one of the slug-fest with the Niners in what is now the beginning of last decade.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2yrocojh said:
SoulfishHawk":2yrocojh said:
Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
He has been running for his life his entire career.
He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.

I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

8 Int's
under 70% completion percentage
4 losses

Rodgers is having a great year, but look at his #s the last few, do you not recall the 9ers wiping the floor with him twice last year? The same team we beat and came within 1/2 of beating again.... How did Russ outplay Rodgers so badly if he's not on his level ? The packers have always had a way better o line.

seabowl

Reaction score
His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

Haven't seen anything like that in some time from him.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2zhgtksh said:
I prefer to see that Russ is trending up, even while playing vs top rated defenses. His QB rating for last half vs Ram was back up to something like 135.
But the real improvement is reduction in turnovers. Winning the TO battle is crucial to our chances.

well yeah... Now that they are running the ball more effectively...

LTH

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
seabowl":2kkmhub8 said:
His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

I agree. His escapability was one of his greatest assets earlier in his career. His pirouettes were a thing of beauty and his speed to outrun defenders was well known. He is a bit thicker than he used to be but how much of that is purposeful or just age I am not sure. I do recall one year he added bulk to help with all the hits he was taking but the next year he dropped a few because he realized it slowed him down too much.

One thing we can all agree on is his durability. To my knowledge he has never missed a single game in his soon-to-be 10-year career. That is remarkable, especially when you take into consideration the hits and sacks he's taken. But he is a flat out maestro when it comes to avoiding injury on the run. Outside of that season he was playing hurt with a bum ankle and knee I believe, he has been incredibly blessed to avoid a major injury that sidelines him.

Sometimes I feel I am asking too much of Russell. One, because he's set us up to expect sheer excellence from him so when he appears human and normal, we feel something is off. Two, because I forget this isn't 2012-2017 Russell where he was at the top of his game from a speed and escapability standpoint. A decade in this league, I don't care who you are, you are not going to look exactly the same from your earliest years to current. No matter your nutrition, your commitment to health, exercise, etc. Father Time, again, remains undefeated.

Is Russ struggling? Eh, I don't really think so. Was he struggling a month ago? Absolutely. He threw 10 picks in a 4-5 week period if I recall. Yes, that's struggling. I think he's found his confidence in recent weeks and I think that continues. How far it takes us, who knows.

What I do know is that I am forever grateful to have Russell Wilson as our quarterback for all these years and I hope several more. He's been nothing short of a gift to this franchise and I hope to be around to celebrate his speech in Canton one fine day.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Aros":1ey38f4y said:
seabowl":1ey38f4y said:

I agree. His escapability was one of his greatest assets earlier in his career. His pirouettes were a thing of beauty and his speed to outrun defenders was well known. He is a bit thicker than he used to be but how much of that is purposeful or just age I am not sure. I do recall one year he added bulk to help with all the hits he was taking but the next year he dropped a few because he realized it slowed him down too much.

One thing we can all agree on is his durability. To my knowledge he has never missed a single game in his soon-to-be 10-year career. That is remarkable, especially when you take into consideration the hits and sacks he's taken. But he is a flat out maestro when it comes to avoiding injury on the run. Outside of that season he was playing hurt with a bum ankle and knee I believe, he has been incredibly blessed to avoid a major injury that sidelines him.

Sometimes I feel I am asking too much of Russell. One, because he's set us up to expect sheer excellence from him so when he appears human and normal, we feel something is off. Two, because I forget this isn't 2012-2017 Russell where he was at the top of his game from a speed and escapability standpoint. A decade in this league, I don't care who you are, you are not going to look exactly the same from your earliest years to current. No matter your nutrition, your commitment to health, exercise, etc. Father Time, again, remains undefeated.

Is Russ struggling? Eh, I don't really think so. Was he struggling a month ago? Absolutely. He threw 10 picks in a 4-5 week period if I recall. Yes, that's struggling. I think he's found his confidence in recent weeks and I think that continues. How far it takes us, who knows.

What I do know is that I am forever grateful to have Russell Wilson as our quarterback for all these years and I hope several more. He's been nothing short of a gift to this franchise and I hope to be around to celebrate his speech in Canton one fine day.

Great post Aros I hope I'm around when he goes to Canton he should be a first year inductee for sure I still think he should've won the Rookie MVP.
Russ is a lot slower then he was but father time catches us all let's see Murray and Jackson in 10 yrs if they're still in the league I think Russ is still improvising because of the speed he's loss can't say enough on how healthy he's stayed all these years what year was that he was just getting pounded I thought for sure he was going to get injured.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Aros":2gpfyvtg said:
seabowl":2gpfyvtg said:

Absolutely agree. It’s also why I believe they drafted Lewis at RG this year. It will be interesting to see how they work on the o-line during the offseason. They are going to need to protect Russ like they didn’t need to early in his career.

evergreen

Reaction score
I hope he's about to get his mojo back. He was awful for at least three games this year,(Rams I, Buffalo, Giants, Washington 2nd half...). He's not lightning sharp like he could be. He's missing on deep throws now, when he was $$. Remember when he'd drop back, cock, and fire and we knew it was a td? Still, in the second half you saw him make those small plays. that are so huge. Instead of a sack he gets a dart out for 6-7 yards and a manageable 3rd down. He had Been pretty average lately. Thank goodness he's not Got sliding at 9 yards rather than getting the 1st.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He still is very good at escaping in the pocket and creating things. Of course he doesn't have the same speed as he did. Big deal, he gets the job done. I'm surprised that after almost a decade with Russ, people are actually worried about him. Screw that, bring on the playoffs, this isn't his first rodeo.
But, even if he does win in the playoffs, it will get downplayed and someone will dwell on a pick, even if he throws 4 touchdowns and wins the game.

xray

Reaction score
An NFL QB is the most complicated demanding position in professional sports . Inconsistencies start to occur usually at the end of the so-called prime years . The block of prime years are different for every player . The sacks and hits that Wilson has taken in his career and having to carry a team for so many seasons might make him a much older QB than his actual time in the league . He still can play at an elite level at times but maybe his best years are behind him . IMO

hoxrox

Reaction score
It sounds like some are suggesting that Russ has peaked as QB due to his decline in run speed, which makes him a dynamic threat. While this may be true, the recent slump appears more mental than physical to me. He is just not as sharp as he was during the beginning of the season. Jittery feet, hesitation, missing open receivers. That's not a physical thing. It's all in his head.

Can he get out of his slump? Yes. He's trending up, and we'll learn more against the 9ers, who will be playing their "SB" this Sunday. Saleh is also auditioning for a HC role, so they are playing to win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, his best years are behind him. Oh brother, I just can't...…

You guys have a great holiday. Go Hawks!

StoneCold

Reaction score
John63":tm3w1jna said:
Here is the reality

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...questions_12_28_2020&utm_term=Registered User

". Has the offense found its winning formula for the playoffs?
Jude: For the most part, yes. The Let Russ Cook era, as brief as it was, was thrilling — there’s no denying that. And I understand some of the consternation from a particular faction of the fan base that’s screaming for Carroll to again give Wilson more freedom. But Carroll does not view offensive football in a vacuum; he does not see defensive football in a vacuum, either. When he talks about “balance” and a “complementary” style, he is talking about his offense and his defense helping each other out. We saw a prime example of that not happening in the Buffalo game, when Seattle’s four offensive turnovers put its defense in peril. Carroll is not going back to that. The Seahawks’ September offensive surge was, in hindsight, a mirage. There was nothing normal about the buildup to the 2020 season for anyone — limited practices, no preseason, new testing routines, etc., and offenses around the league had the upper hand early. Seattle’s offensive success in the first half of the season created unrealistic expectations. Defenses have adjusted; they’re making it harder for the Seahawks to execute those big plays downfield — the loss to the Giants being a prime example of that. Wilson tried three deep passes Sunday; the throws for Metcalf and Tyler Lockett fell incomplete. The 45-yard pass to David Moore was the play of the game on offense. You can call Carroll’s approach conservative, but you have to also acknowledge it’s a proven approach in the playoffs — and one the Seahawks used to win a playoff-type game Sunday.

Condotta: Yes. True, it took a little while for Seattle’s offense to find its footing Sunday. But as Carroll noted later, a big factor was the Seahawks not turning the ball over — one of just five times this year Seattle has done that. All have been wins. And I think some of the “slow start” was in part not wanting to make a game-turning mistake. As long as Seattle was within one possession of tying or taking the lead, the Seahawks were going to preach not screwing things up on offense, especially early. You saw Wilson get more aggressive in the second half and that was by design. True, Seattle averaged just 4.8 yards per play, lowest of the season other than the loss against the Giants. But that rose to 6.3 in the second half when Seattle had five of its seven longest gains, with Wilson completing 10 of 13 passes for 141 yards against statistically the NFL’s best pass defense. In Carroll’s perfect world Seattle might rush for more than 95 yards. But Seattle had 4.0 per attempt, and Chris Carson had 21 yards on three attempts on the final touchdown drive that moved the ball and kept the clock running (or forced L.A. to use its timeouts). It felt like the running game was just enough to make a difference, which is what Seattle will need in the postseason."

You will not see many if any 300+ 4td games. You will see more of the 200 yards 2-3 tds high complt % games. Which is what we got this last game, adn what PC wants

So the if that is not elite to you then take it up with PC. And FYi going by PCs definition Wilson was elite this last game.

These comments ring true. When we lost our running game, teams could pin their ears back and come after Russ. Add in a injuries to the O lIne. He didn't handle that well and threw a bushel of interceptions. After that stretch of games, his play appeared tentative after that. I don't think he was playing scared, he was playing careful. He, and I'm sure Pete gave him an earful on this, realized that an interception hurts them team more than a sac, and Russell is a consummate team player. I think he 's growing and will be a better QB for it.

Things have turned now that Hyde, Carson and Penny are back. We have a solid running game. That will slow down the rush and give Russ more opportunities. We won't see the crazy 5 td games, but we also won't see the infuriating 3 int games either. But we will see more throws like the one to Moore.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We have to realistically assess the quality of opponents D's. The rams have a highly ranked D and RW was in control against them. The WFT also has a high quality D yet they couldn't get to him. We are facing the Digits this weekend and I'd expect RW will be strong against them.

The team at present does not need RW to do it all, all the time. The balanced attack where play action must be respected increases Rw's ability to 'cook'.

I don't think he's struggling at all but learned some things with the losses against NYG and Buffalo. I think we are not being shown all he can do for last while and the change has allowed the D to get it together. If and when he has to cook, he will.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jcwf4jj said:
Spin Doctor":3jcwf4jj said:
Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.

Game

Rams 62.5 CMP% 93.9 QBR 1 TD

Not the Skins 66.7 CMP% 73.2 QBR 1 TD

Jets 77.8 CMP% 122.6 QBR 4 TD's

Giants 62.8 CMP% 78.0 QBR 1 TD

Eagles 71.0 CMP% 102.9 QBR 1 TD

Cardinals 82.1 CMP% 119.8 QBR 2 TD's

Out of these six games, only the Giants game would I say Russell struggled or "been off."

Efficient, accurate, timely plays when it matters. That's his game...............and after 10 years anyone thinking he should be more week in and week out? That's on you, because that's not who he is as a QB.

At times like we saw early in the year? Sure, but that's not ever been his game. What we've seen in the last 5-6 weeks is.
That's exactly right and why the LRC stuff made me cringe all off season. It was a disaster waiting to happen and it even sounds like Russ bought into to it to some degree which was concerning to me. Even those other QBs that everything thinks of don't do those things as often as fans think they do. They see highlights and think every game those other QB's have comes with a stat line like Russ's first 3-4 games. It just doesn't happen for a majority of games over a season for any QB really. Some are setup to do it more often like Mahomes with all of those weapons and even they have mediocre to crap games along the way.