Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
He has practically no play calling experience. Another lap dog and "yes man" for Pete.

John63

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":bbv5uetm said:
One of the problems with the 2020 offense, was there were times when RW wasn't allowed to change the play. Per Jake Heaps, the Giants game was one where Russell had to go with the plays he was given. I think that's going to change.

This reminds me of a quote from Russ after that awful 4th and 1 play in that game that didn't come close to working. Russ said that "they didn't get the look they were expecting". I just threw my arms up reading that thinking whey didn't he change the play or just take the 5 yard delay of game and punt it.

so now you know what alot of his knew Wilson was not allowed to change plays as much as some think. When it comes down to it like it or not the reality is PC has an iron fist on the offense. He is the reason we don't throw short much, he is the reason we go long alot which means holding the ball more., he is the reason why we play or do not play for 3 qtrs. HE is the reason this offense looked like crap starting game 6. And barring a come to Jesus moment he will be4 the reason it looks bad again. And because some on hear are so loyal to the HC who got us our first Championship even more so than the QB who go it, he will get away with it.

Just look at the cadence of the offense and players for qtrs 1-3 and then the 4th. Notice a change that is because in qtr4 is when they let the offense off the leash, that's when they play a real offense.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2fmhn1jl said:
Chawker":2fmhn1jl said:
The advantages of running a two back set are as follows:

1. A lead blocker on run plays

2. A extra pass blocker in a max protection or blitzing situation.

3. A extra check down receiver.

4. Can free up a TE from his block duties.

5. Lens more creedents to the play action pass.

A two back set is crucial to the success of any NFL team.

In 1995

Name one successful team since the 90s that ran a two-back offense? Even the 2013 Seahawks had a fullback on the field for 8 plays in the SB.

Not saying I agree with him, but um, the 2005 Seahawks.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":1ioh78sy said:
He has practically no play calling experience. Another lap dog and "yes man" for Pete.

This is what I mean when I say that folks are gonna stick to whatever narrative they've heard, come hell or high water.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seanhawk":vz6is9vy said:
sdog1981":vz6is9vy said:
Chawker":vz6is9vy said:

In 1995

Name one successful team since the 90s that ran a two-back offense? Even the 2013 Seahawks had a fullback on the field for 8 plays in the SB.

2005 is much closer to the 90s than 2021.

As for the 49ers, Juszcyk is on the field for 40% of the snaps. That includes the team running 57% of their snaps from 1 back sets. New England ran the most 2 back sets last season with 37% of their snaps.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like I said before, no matter who they chose, plenty of people would complain. Pretty predictable.
I'm looking forward to a change, welcome to Seattle. Let's roll.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3a9rnzy0 said:
hawksfansince90":3a9rnzy0 said:

This is what I mean when I say that folks are gonna stick to whatever narrative they've heard, come hell or high water.

Well homey here has been a hawks fan since 90, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

I can almost guarantee that Waldron was a Russell approved hire, because you know damn well Pete and Russell met post season and Russell expressed his concern with the stagnated and predictable offense.

So IMO the Waldron hire IS Pete being proactive about trying to get a little more innovation into his offensive schemes, and Waldron comes from the Belichick/Shanahan and McVay tree, which is EXACTLY that, dynamic innovative run and short passing game.

Great fit for me. Obviously experience is an issue, but he's been in those meeting rooms for almost a decade, so I'm honestly not worried about the experience part. Seems like a very sharp coach.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points. And everyone at some point was inexperienced. You have to start somewhere, and this not only looks like a good hire, but you're right, probably one that Russ endorses.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xo7pptv said:
Maelstrom787":1xo7pptv said:
hawksfansince90":1xo7pptv said:

Well homey here has been a hawks fan since 90, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

I can almost guarantee that Waldron was a Russell approved hire, because you know damn well Pete and Russell met post season and Russell expressed his concern with the stagnated and predictable offense.

So IMO the Waldron hire IS Pete being proactive about trying to get a little more innovation into his offensive schemes, and Waldron comes from the Belichick/Shanahan and McVay tree, which is EXACTLY that, dynamic innovative run and short passing game.

Great fit for me. Obviously experience is an issue, but he's been in those meeting rooms for almost a decade, so I'm honestly not worried about the experience part. Seems like a very sharp coach.

Wilson asking to be included tells me he was a CC on the email not the To, Wilson will approve or say he approves anyone we bring in because he is not counter Culture and does Corporate speak as well as CEO's, he hated seeing Schotty go, at least he actually stated that.

I really wish they would go back and look at the Bills under Levy, the K Gun would be a perfect offense for us, using Thomas and Reed as will as a host of other receivers and TE's Kelly moved that offens e up and down the field.

They used Shot gun a lot and spread the field. Look at Indy under Reich, they have a lot of it's elements also, why they could turn things around quickly there with Rivers even who came from a different type of offense with the Chargers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":29s95gpa said:
Sgt. Largent":29s95gpa said:
Maelstrom787":29s95gpa said:
hawksfansince90":29s95gpa said:

Wilson asking to be included tells me he was a CC on the email not the To, Wilson will approve or say he approves anyone we bring in because he is not counter Culture and does Corporate speak as well as CEO's, he hated seeing Schotty go, at least he actually stated that.

I really wish they would go back and look at the Bills under Levy, the K Gun would be a perfect offense for us, using Thomas and Reed as will as a host of other receivers and TE's Kelly moved that offens e up and down the field.

They used Shot gun a lot and spread the field. Look at Indy under Reich, they have a lot of it's elements also, why they could turn things around quickly there with Rivers even who came from a different type of offense with the Chargers.

Wilson was absolutely consulted on both the firing of Schotty and the hiring of Waldron.

Not saying either were his decisions, Pete has final say, obviously. But if you're Pete and John with your shiny new extensions in place, you're not going to freeze out your franchise QB on any coordinator hiring or firings.

Waldon feels VERY much like a Wilson was heavily involved hiring, and not a plain vanilla re-tread hire because Pete wants to run the ball Bevell or Schotty hire were.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Make no mistake about it. This has Wilson's hand prints all over it. It shows Pete is willing to be flexible with the offense and trusts Russ' input enough to allow his thoughts and concerns to shape the hire itself. I love it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":38zzcsky said:
Make no mistake about it. This has Wilson's hand prints all over it. It shows Pete is willing to be flexible with the offense and trusts Russ' input enough to allow his thoughts and concerns to shape the hire itself. I love it.

Yes, and here's Brock Huards Mynorthwest.com piece showing that Waldron was indeed Russell's guy.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1286532/ ... e-waldron/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3qfx3og4 said:
Seanhawk":3qfx3og4 said:
sdog1981":3qfx3og4 said:
Chawker":3qfx3og4 said:

In 1995

2005 is much closer to the 90s than 2021.

As for the 49ers, Juszcyk is on the field for 40% of the snaps. That includes the team running 57% of their snaps from 1 back sets. New England ran the most 2 back sets last season with 37% of their snaps.

You said name one since the 90s. I did. Quit moving the goal posts.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope this is more than spin from the team.

For me I like the hire as he’s a fresh face with fresh ideas for a program that had become predictable. I hope he demonstrates some plasticity in being able to change up quickly uptempo when needed, ground and pound when needs indicate, and is anything but predictable.

That RW is happy with the selection is a great thing, we don’t need the dysfunction that is being seen in Houston where their young and talented franchise QB has been ignored in the selection process. For many here the choice shows them that it isn’t always my way or the highway. Kudos to the front office for this hire.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have issues when ESPN does we told you stories about any player wanting or saying something.

They have almost zero credibility anymore.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":18iox4e9 said:
hawksfansince90":18iox4e9 said:

Hell to the Yeah..^^^^ THIS ^^^^
It's like, man I wish I could buy some kids for what they're really worth, and SELL them for what they THINK they are worth....I'd be a bazillionaire :lol:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Looks like Waldron is bringing Andy Dickerson along with him to be the run game coordinator. Dickerson is also unproven but will be a great resource if Waldron is trying to recreate the McVay offense as closely as possible. I would have liked to see us bring in a more experienced veteran, but we'll still have Solari and probably a handful of consultants.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3f7bta11 said:
HEAR HERE!!, My sentiments exactly...Hell, when DK Metcalf said that "Teams Defenses were figuring us out", tells you all you need to know about the crappy timing, and play-calls not being called in in a timely manner.
IT wasn't always on Wilson & the last minute ball snaps....Defense confused the play-calls which killed the timing.
Wilson HAS TO BE ABLE to "Opt Out" of a bad play-call, and I don't think he was given the freedom to do so for the first three quarters.
I don't think Pete is as foolish as some folks around here thinks he is, and if a dialed up game plan is working?, I think he's pretty much hands off....I also think he holds Russell Wilson in the highest of Regards.

:vodka:
p.s. One shouldn't Drink & Post :smilingalien:

Latest posts