Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

sutz

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1st948d7 said:
Seems kinda strange to me that it has now been days since the news broke, and there STILL HAS BEEN NOT A WORD about the 'hire' on .com. Does it take that long to construct a virtual frame?
Has there been an official Team announcement yet? Dot com generally waits for that. Perhaps they are wrangling over details of the contract and job duties?

thegameq

Reaction score
Well done. Very well done.

He checks all of the boxes.

I just can't see Pete meddling anymore--yes he will still get final say of course. But you don't hire someone from McVay's coaching tree to not be creative. We may see some teething pains from the offense next year as Waldron implements his offensive, but it will be worth it.

All we need now is some discipline on the offensive line to avoid drive killing penalties and we should be good.

Own The West

Reaction score
Either way, I'm looking forward to more "point guard" Russ and less "wait until I got three guys on me and chuck it" Russ.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":16740e56 said:
Seems kinda strange to me that it has now been days since the news broke, and there STILL HAS BEEN NOT A WORD about the 'hire' on .com. Does it take that long to construct a virtual frame?

Idk what a virtual frame is, but it does take time to iron out contracts, get everyone back in the building and organize a presser.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Well, after reading the print on another pitcher of Kool-Aid, that pretty much ends this book. That leaves us with imagining what our offense will look like, who we'll be able to re-sign, what we can do in FA, and/or what we have to do to recapture some draft leverage. So roll the tires in and lets get to kicking them.

Fade

Reaction score
If this is indeed true, this is the best the Seahawks could ever hope for.

My wish was to nab someone from the Shanny/McVay/Lafleur tree.

McVay and Shanny's system is run first. Which, of course will make Pete very happy.

But here's the thing, it's not a system of running for the sake of running. Like Pete has been doing, and done in the past.
Where they have 2 offenses. The running offense to shorten the game, limit turnovers, etc., and the uptempo passing offense to score points. Very stilted.

Unlike Pete, Shanny and McVay run a widezone, AND consistently boot their QB off of it. Meaning, you overplay the run, and they are going to murder you with the QB boot-action that comes off it. Pick your poison. McVay's twist to Shanny's system was he blended more, much more jet action, and Air Raid passing concepts / run to grass out of 11 personnel. (Goff and Kupp came from the Air Raid 10 personnel.) As that started getting figured out (end of 2018) McVay moved to 2 TEs ends, and a more classic Shanny bootgame to do his best to help Goff. Goff has thrived on playaction, but struggles in traditional drop-back passing situations, but I digress.

I have been very frustrated the entire RW era, how they do not boot Wilson very often. Just Gun inside zone runs, feigning zone-read, with the same 5-7 step deep drop over and and over, with Wilson having to create the movement on a scramble play. In the playoff game against the Rams, they called ZERO rollouts on 35 dropbacks. That is pure ineptitude. The Seahawks make everything so damn difficult on offense, and for their QB. They've been walking a tightrope for years, with Wilson pulling it off most of the time. But Wilson has been dealing with one of the highest degrees of difficulty at the position, especially since Marshawn left.

The Shanny system blends, and marries both the run game and pass game together. It makes it very hard for defenses to tell if you're running or passing. The opposite of the Seahawks who again have been very predictable, and stilted, over the years.

Another big benefit is Waldron has been on the staff that has dominated Wilson for most of his career. Those dumpster fire gameplans against the Rams can finally be balled up and thrown in the trash.

Of course, Pete could intervene and screw the whole thing up at anytime, we'll just have to wait and see. But this is definitely a step in the right direction. Pete just needs to let Waldron do his thing, and continue to babysit Norton and focus on his defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
So what's first, look for a O line that fits or tell Wilson to lose 15 pounds to get his agility back since he is going to be doing sprint roll outs.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":2aynjo51 said:
So what's first, look for a O line that fits or tell Wilson to lose 15 pounds to get his agility back since he is going to be doing sprint roll outs.
A little bit of both. They will need to upgrade both the LG & C positions, especially LG.

But just putting it out there, Wilson ran for 6+ yards a carry and 500+ yards on the season. Not bad for porky.

He could stand to shed a few pounds no doubt, get a little lighter, but Wilson's lack of mobility has been greatly over blown. And wasn't the glaring issue, or reason for the offense's demise.

1) Predictable Peteball.
2) Gameplanning properly for opponents (ties into Peteball).
3) O-Line injuries. LG, C, & RT during the 2nd half of the season.
4) DK Metcalf drops.
5) RB injuries.
6) Lack of big play capability at the TE position.
7) Lack of a 3rd weapon in the passing game. Too Lockett & Metcalf dependent.
:cool: Wilson's weight (mobility).
9) Uncharacteristic Lockett drops.
10) Penny not showing more at the end of the year. Understandable, but still disappointing.

Just by being in a less predictable offense, that will actually roll Wilson out more, the whole mobility issue goes away. Especially if he was still capable of running for 500 yards at over 6 yards a clip, all while being a little plump in the sitting duck of an offense he played in last year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fade":1tzn69sc said:
If this is indeed true, this is the best the Seahawks could ever hope for.

My wish was to nab someone from the Shanny/McVay/Lafleur tree.

McVay and Shanny's system is run first. Which, of course will make Pete very happy.

But here's the thing, it's not a system of running for the sake of running. Like Pete has been doing, and done in the past.
Where they have 2 offenses. The running offense to shorten the game, limit turnovers, etc., and the uptempo passing offense to score points. Very stilted.

Unlike Pete, Shanny and McVay run a widezone, AND consistently boot their QB off of it. Meaning, you overplay the run, and they are going to murder you with the QB boot-action that comes off it. Pick your poison. McVay's twist to Shanny's system was he blended more, much more jet action, and Air Raid passing concepts / run to grass out of 11 personnel. (Goff and Kupp came from the Air Raid 10 personnel.) As that started getting figured out (end of 2018) McVay moved to 2 TEs ends, and a more classic Shanny bootgame to do his best to help Goff. Goff has thrived on playaction, but struggles in traditional drop-back passing situations, but I digress.

I have been very frustrated the entire RW era, how they do not boot Wilson very often. Just Gun inside zone runs, feigning zone-read, with the same 5-7 step deep drop over and and over, with Wilson having to create the movement on a scramble play. In the playoff game against the Rams, they called ZERO rollouts on 35 dropbacks. That is pure ineptitude. The Seahawks make everything so damn difficult on offense, and for their QB. They've been walking a tightrope for years, with Wilson pulling it off most of the time. But Wilson has been dealing with one of the highest degrees of difficulty at the position, especially since Marshawn left.

The Shanny system blends, and marries both the run game and pass game together. It makes it very hard for defenses to tell if you're running or passing. The opposite of the Seahawks who again have been very predictable, and stilted, over the years.

Another big benefit is Waldron has been on the staff that has dominated Wilson for most of his career. Those dumpster fire gameplans against the Rams can finally be balled up and thrown in the trash.

Of course, Pete could intervene and screw the whole thing up at anytime, we'll just have to wait and see. But this is definitely a step in the right direction. Pete just needs to let Waldron do his thing, and continue to babysit Norton and focus on his defense.

a Freakin men.

The 4 RO runs up the middle and RW never keeping it with 7 step chuck and duck drops was infuriating. Easiest offense in the league to defend, no defense was ever on their heels playing the Hawks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":2lw9irzf said:
chris98251":2lw9irzf said:
A little bit of both. They will need to upgrade both the LG & C positions, especially LG.

But just putting it out there, Wilson ran for 6+ yards a carry and 500+ yards on the season. Not bad for porky.

He could stand to shed a few pounds no doubt, get a little lighter, but Wilson's lack of mobility has been greatly over blown. And wasn't the glaring issue, or reason for the offense's demise.

1) Predictable Peteball.
4) DK Metcalf drops.
5) RB injuries.
10) Penny not showing more at the end of the year. Understandable, but still disappointing.

Just by being in a less predictable offense, that will actually roll Wilson out more, the whole mobility issue goes away. Especially if he was still capable of running for 500 yards at over 6 yards a clip, all while being a little plump in the sitting duck of an offense he played in last year.
So much this. Great post.

Gio

Reaction score
Spent some time to read Rams forum about their coaches joining us. They didn't seem to be worried. More like as a thank you that they got rid of them. Let's wait and see. I hope our new coaches prove them wrong and use our talents wisely.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Gio":7qbgkicm said:
Spent some time to read Rams forum about their coaches joining us. They didn't seem to be worried. More like as a thank you that they got rid of them. Let's wait and see. I hope our new coaches prove them wrong and use our talents wisely.

Maybe they are in denial

RedAlice

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":9gzt631t said:
Gio":9gzt631t said:

Maybe they are in denial

I haven’t seen any Rams fans thankful we got rid of him. Weird.

I think McVay had confidence in him, but it was McVay doing the play calling. I think he did have Waldron calling plays for some preseason games to get experience.

Seems like a good guy overall. I also don’t feel particularly worried that he’s no longer with the Rams.

xray

Reaction score
Own The West":2ky2cgz3 said:
Either way, I'm looking forward to more "point guard" Russ and less "wait until I got three guys on me and chuck it" Russ.
^
And the 'deer in the headlights ' look on his face is getting worse . OL doesn't help him much . IMO

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":1vrxq9ko said:
chris98251":1vrxq9ko said:

1) Predictable Peteball.
4) DK Metcalf drops.
5) RB injuries.

Wilson still is mobile, but one thing I notice is he doesn't have the same suddenness and agility that he used to have. Wilson used to pull off Randall Cunningham and Fran Tarkenton plays on a regular basis. He looked a little bit like Barry Sanders at the QB position. No matter how people tried they couldn't seem to get him down, and were clasping at air. Like Barry Sanders he had a lot of big negative plays as well as huge pop offs.

He hasn't had many of those plays in the last few years. He still is pretty quick, but he doesn't have the same change of direction, and sudden burst ability. He could stop and go to full speed within a matter of a second when he was younger. Russell Wilson has more Cam Newton type of speed now, we're he has a decent top end but takes longer to ramp up. I suspect his extra weight is playing into that some.