Shane Waldron Our New Offensive Coordinator

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2rish8ga said:
He hasn't had many of those plays in the last few years. He still is pretty quick, but he doesn't have the same change of direction, and sudden burst ability. He could stop and go to full speed within a matter of a second when he was younger. Russell Wilson has more Cam Newton type of speed now, we're he has a decent top end but takes longer to ramp up. I suspect his extra weight is playing into that some.

He hasn't had that since 2017. He used to do those backdoor pirouette Fran escapes. In 2018 they turned into sacks. He adjusted by midyear that year, and cut that move out of his bag, choosing to go front door-side step with no pirouette.

So, yes he hasn't been, and no longer can he be the houdini cheat code he once was. But he has put up the best numbers of his career the last 3 seasons without the crazy mobility he once had. So it's just odd to me that people would point to that, when it's been this way for awhile.

Wilson's last three years have been his best 3 years of his career. Only Mahomes has better numbers in that span, and they're actually fairly close. That's with Mahomes being in a better offensive sheme, better O-Line, and better weapons over that span.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":9d6y17xw said:
Spin Doctor":9d6y17xw said:
He hasn't had many of those plays in the last few years. He still is pretty quick, but he doesn't have the same change of direction, and sudden burst ability. He could stop and go to full speed within a matter of a second when he was younger. Russell Wilson has more Cam Newton type of speed now, we're he has a decent top end but takes longer to ramp up. I suspect his extra weight is playing into that some.

He hasn't had that since 2017. He used to do those backdoor pirouette Fran escapes. In 2018 they turned into sacks. He adjusted by midyear that year, and cut that move out of his bag, choosing to go front door-side step with no pirouette.

So, yes he hasn't been, and no longer can he be the houdini cheat code he once was. But he has put up the best numbers of his career the last 3 seasons without the crazy mobility he once had. So it's just odd to me that people would point to that, when it's been this way for awhile.

Wilson's last three years have been his best 3 years of his career. Only Mahomes has better numbers in that span, and they're actually fairly close. That's with Mahomes being in a better offensive sheme, better O-Line, and better weapons over that span.

We'll see how good the O-line and talent around Mahomes is now that his cap hits start piling up. Chiefs are going from a 5M hit to 25M, 31M and 42M over the next three years.

I'm excited about Waldron, he should bring that misdirection move the pocket layered route pattern modern style of playcalling and scheming that fits Russell's style well.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
This was such a great hire by Carroll.

I never really know much about Rams offensive coaches and how much input they have, but McVay has always spoken highly of Waldron and it should help Carroll gain A LOT of insight into McVay's offense. That alone is probably worth this hire IMO.

D

DomeHawk

This feels like the first OC hire we have had that understands the modern game. We shall see.

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7mnuv6f6 said:
We'll see how good the O-line and talent around Mahomes is now that his cap hits start piling up. Chiefs are going from a 5M hit to 25M, 31M and 42M over the next three years.

I'm excited about Waldron, he should bring that misdirection move the pocket layered route pattern modern style of playcalling and scheming that fits Russell's style well.

The Chiefs will be fine on offense. Andy Reid has an impeccable track record (20+ years), when it comes to drafting and developing players on offense. And developing offensive coaches for that matter. He is a guru on that side of the ball.

Andy Reid's weak spot is defense. So Mahomes cap hits will effect that side of the ball. On offense they will keep on rollin'. Mahomes low hit's allowed them to get Frank Clark and Honey Badger. They will not have that luxury going forward. They will have to draft and develop on defense, and that is where they will most likely run into trouble.

I'm excited for Waldron if Seattle moves to being a wide zone team, with bootaction. If they stay as a gun inside zone team featuring Wilson as a sitting duck, they just hired another "Yes" man. I am in wait and see mode. They made the right hire, I think, but it will be moot, if he is not allowed to do his job proper, with Pete continuing his ways of insanity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":19uehs5c said:
I'm excited for Waldron if Seattle moves to being a wide zone team, with bootaction. If they stay as a gun inside zone team featuring Wilson as a sitting duck, they just hired another "Yes" man. I am in wait and see mode. They made the right hire, I think, but it will be moot, if he is not allowed to do his job proper, with Pete continuing his ways of insanity.

If we're being honest with knowing Pete's track record, he won't be able to keep himself from meddling with the offense if it gets away from his core run the ball three yards and cloud of dust philosophies.

So if I had to guess, Waldron's offense will look different, but probably not different enough.

What we have to hope is what Waldron does install is successful, protects the ball AND takes advantage of Russell to the point where Pete starts giving him more and more rope.

Because that's how the Schotty offense came crashing down mid season last year. Pete yanked that rope after the 10 turnovers in four game fiasco, and it never recovered.

Own The West

Reaction score
It’s so weird to keep hearing the run, run, run, punt saw. We’ve not been a run first team since Lynch left, nor have we made a playoff run. Last year we threw it twice as often as we ran and got our one-dimentional asses bounced as soon as the games counted. Did Marino ever win anything? Did Breeze w/o a solid running game? No.

So when Pete says he wants to get back to the formula that got us to the superbowl TWICE, why is there all this hand wringing?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2enkwalh said:
Fade":2enkwalh said:

If we're being honest with knowing Pete's track record, he won't be able to keep himself from meddling with the offense if it gets away from his core run the ball three yards and cloud of dust philosophies.

So if I had to guess, Waldron's offense will look different, but probably not different enough.

What we have to hope is what Waldron does install is successful, protects the ball AND takes advantage of Russell to the point where Pete starts giving him more and more rope.

Because that's how the Schotty offense came crashing down mid season last year. Pete yanked that rope after the 10 turnovers in four game fiasco, and it never recovered.

The thing is even after Pete yanked the rope after the 10 turnover fiasco, they didn't necessarily run the ball more, or even run it more on early downs. If someone crunches the numbers, we will see that they weren't run heavy toward the end of the season. Carson was on a limited pitch count - like 15 carries a game.

Also it's not just about protecting the ball, it's about protecting the QB from getting killed back there. This is why he stresses a balanced attack. How that balanced attack is implemented and executed is the question.

That he poached offensive coaches from the Rams suggests to me that indeed he is looking for more creativity. If he just wanted a "yes" man, he would have promoted someone internally.

Also JS signed his long term contract after Pete did, so if JS was unhappy being a "yes" man under Pete, he would have gone to another team, where he would assume more control? So the JS signing suggests to me that he is happy with their working relationship.

But yes, we will see about this new offense, and have a better understanding of the real dynamics at play here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Own The West":275j8gnu said:
So when Pete says he wants to get back to the formula that got us to the superbowl TWICE, why is there all this hand wringing?

Because he hasn't been able to run the ball well either.

It's not running the ball with me, it's like DK said this offenses problem was being so predictable. That can't happen in the NFL, and certainly not with a QB like Russell, and skill position players like Carson, DK and Lockett.

Hopefully Waldron gets that balance down AND with schemes and playcalling that keeps the defense guessing, and not jumping simple screen passes in the playoffs because they saw that EXACT same play ran two weeks prior.

That's really what IMO this hire was about, staying within the confines of Pete's philosophies but in a more dynamic layered way.

chris98251

Reaction score
hoxrox":3tpszykq said:
Sgt. Largent":3tpszykq said:
Fade":3tpszykq said:

The thing is even after Pete yanked the rope after the 10 turnover fiasco, they didn't necessarily run the ball more, or even run it more on early downs. If someone crunches the numbers, we will see that they weren't run heavy toward the end of the season. Carson was on a limited pitch count - like 15 carries a game.

Also it's not just about protecting the ball, it's about protecting the QB from getting killed back there. This is why he stresses a balanced attack. How that balanced attack is implemented and executed is the question.

That he poached offensive coaches from the Rams suggests to me that indeed he is looking for more creativity. If he just wanted a "yes" man, he would have promoted someone internally.

Also JS signed his long term contract after Pete did, so if JS was unhappy being a "yes" man under Pete, he would have gone to another team, where he would assume more control? So the JS signing suggests to me that he is happy with their working relationship.

But yes, we will see about this new offense, and have a better understanding of the real dynamics at play here.

He can poach every OC in the league and it won't matter if they are only allowed to design safe plays that are sideline or deep routes.

Thr Run Run Run works with Lynch and or Carson guy, Cullen Bryant type also, just don't see anyone of those guys on the roster presently. Unless you change the blocking schemes and go quick hit with a passing attack, that means giving up something like running clock down to 0 seconds almost every snap. Also need hot routes and use them and YAC with crossing patterns.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1gy5e776 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gy5e776 said:

The Chiefs will be fine on offense. Andy Reid has an impeccable track record (20+ years), when it comes to drafting and developing players on offense. And developing offensive coaches for that matter. He is a guru on that side of the ball.

Andy Reid's weak spot is defense. So Mahomes cap hits will effect that side of the ball. On offense they will keep on rollin'. Mahomes low hit's allowed them to get Frank Clark and Honey Badger. They will not have that luxury going forward. They will have to draft and develop on defense, and that is where they will most likely run into trouble.

This. :2thumbs:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hoxrox":pengtl35 said:
Sgt. Largent":pengtl35 said:
Fade":pengtl35 said:

It isn't about "protecting the QB", Pete's scheme never was about that. He always puts a premium on offensive lineman that are horrible pass blockers, but road grading in the run game. Carroll's offense also features a lot of 7 step drops, which put the QB at risk for taking hits. Carroll's offense never was able "protecting the QB".

Carroll's whole offensive strategy revolves around limiting the toxic differential and trying to make the game as short as possible. He also keeps his QB on a fairly tight leash, I've seen some rookies with more agency at the LOS than Wilson has. That sort of offense is okay if you have a very strong defense, but our defense has been very bad since 2017. Furthermore this style of play is punished very hard against playoff caliber teams. Even when we "unleashed" Wilson we shifted back to this old style of passing after the first few weeks. At Wilson's best during the season we were exploiting the short passing game. Our playcalls from ATL looked straight out of the Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren playbook.

I don't think Schottenheimer was the problem here.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":l3w80415 said:
It isn't about "protecting the QB", Pete's scheme never was about that. He always puts a premium on offensive lineman that are horrible pass blockers, but road grading in the run game. Carroll's offense also features a lot of 7 step drops, which put the QB at risk for taking hits. Carroll's offense never was able "protecting the QB".

Carroll's whole offensive strategy revolves around limiting the toxic differential and trying to make the game as short as possible. He also keeps his QB on a fairly tight leash, I've seen some rookies with more agency at the LOS than Wilson has. That sort of offense is okay if you have a very strong defense, but our defense has been very bad since 2017. Furthermore this style of play is punished very hard against playoff caliber teams. Even when we "unleashed" Wilson we shifted back to this old style of passing after the first few weeks. At Wilson's best during the season we were exploiting the short passing game. Our playcalls from ATL looked straight out of the Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren playbook.

I don't think Schottenheimer was the problem here.

Well I don't mean this from a schematic standpoint. When you run the ball, you automatically eliminate QB hits and sacks. This is something that the pass-happy, fantasy football analytics crowd fail to factor into the equation. And Carroll can't be okay with Russ getting killed back there on a regular basis. Thus, the balance he seeks.

Shotty had good games like ATL, or first half vs WFT, without a doubt. He was good in the redzone too. But when it came to a playoff game against a division team that mattered, he failed miserably. Straight drop backs, no rollouts, no double teams on Donald during pass plays? It's no wonder he went from HC candidate to passing game coordinator in a matter of months.

We will see what kind of agency Russ and Waldron will have this coming season.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Fade":1fjpf69s said:
[youtube]FPJMInLvHj4[/youtube]

I love this hire!

That was fantastic. Feeling really good about this hire.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Fade":2ixz93er said:
[youtube]FPJMInLvHj4[/youtube]

I love this hire!

after all hard to watch new coach interviews this off season, I find his strategic approach to every question comforting.

John63

Reaction score
Own The West":vvi9w2za said:
It’s so weird to keep hearing the run, run, run, punt saw. We’ve not been a run first team since Lynch left, nor have we made a playoff run. Last year we threw it twice as often as we ran and got our one-dimentional asses bounced as soon as the games counted. Did Marino ever win anything? Did Breeze w/o a solid running game? No.

Hmm we ran it 411 times, threw it 563, ur math does not add up. We were 18th in run attempts and 17th is pass. Hmm . Now that we clarified the math does not work. Let's move on to that formula that got us to the sb, u mean the one that did not work the first 2 year but then worked the next 2 years and the not again since. I mean we had the most rush att in the league in 2018, we were # 5 in 2019.and guess what no SB. So his "formula" is far from something to brag about, given it is under 50% in its results. Great coaches adapt to what he has, still waiting for PC to be great

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Solid interview, and I suspect a solid hire. Really looking forward to seeing what this guy can do with the offense.
Bring it on, it was time for a change. Now if Pete actually allows him to coach and coordinate, this will be fun to watch as the season progresses in 2021.