Thoughts on this years schedule

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I don't remember a schedule like this in all my years watching the Hawks. Opening up on TNF, then a long break until the next weeks game in SD, followed by game of the week SB grudge match and then poof, gone - no more hawks for 14+ days... The feeling of the season being upon us truly hasn't hit me yet to be quite honest.

However the back end of our schedule looks to be exciting. If the Cards are the real deal and the digits can find themselves - we might have one of those NFC East type schedules from the last decade where 3 of division teams could be playing for and obtaining a playoff spot.

This could be the NFC West's most entertaining schedule yet form an outsiders perspective and our division might deliver crazy December games.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Thay are gonna implode, they are history. By the time they get to us, it won't matter for anything, Only good thing about these clowns are they will be better to watch after TD dinner than the usless Detroit team or Cowboys- either (or both) of which is normally shoved down our throat on TDay

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Definitely an odd start. I agree, it's been hard to get into the rhythm of the season.

The conspiracy guy in me would say the NFL tried to make it as hard on us as possible. Three of the top QBs in the NFL out of the gate, the heat of San Diego, week 4 bye, lots of gaps in games.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I really think having this early bye week makes weeks 8 on real killers, especially if we have many nagging injuries that could really use a week off to heal

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
All I know even with the rule emphasis and losing:

Via Free Agency/Cuts:

Red Bryant
Chris Clemons
Clinton McDonald
Brandon Browner
Walter Thurmond

Then Via Injury:

Jeremy Lane
Tharold Simon

Seahawks went 2-1 against perhaps the three best QBs of the 2014 season thus far:

1. Phillip Rivers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Aaron Rodgers

Next three I would say:

4. Andrew Luck
5. Drew Brees
6. Wilson (dependent on MNF game could be 4th)

That's a pretty damn awesome achievement if you asked me

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1j70nbij said:

Via Free Agency/Cuts:

Red Bryant
Chris Clemons
Clinton McDonald
Brandon Browner
Walter Thurmond

Then Via Injury:

Jeremy Lane
Tharold Simon

Seahawks went 2-1 against perhaps the three best QBs of the 2014 season thus far:

1. Phillip Rivers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Aaron Rodgers

Next three I would say:

4. Andrew Luck
5. Drew Brees

Best QB's based on Stats not actual play I take it, thats the problem people don't look at their play it's all about the Fantasy points.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":16f7mr3z said:

Via Free Agency/Cuts:

Red Bryant
Chris Clemons
Clinton McDonald
Brandon Browner
Walter Thurmond

Then Via Injury:

Jeremy Lane
Tharold Simon

1. Phillip Rivers
2. Peyton Manning
3. Aaron Rodgers

Next three I would say:

4. Andrew Luck
5. Drew Brees

Pretty good synopsis.

I'd also add, that Seattle is still faring well, despite being the weekly barometer for every team. That is a difficult role to assume. This is a different year for us. But we do appear to be up for the challenge.

The lack of interceptions this year is a bit troubling. It certainly does appear that the refs have pretty much tossed the emphasis rules out the window with the exception of holding on to jerseys. Illegal contact doesn't seem to have survived the preseason emphasis, whereas holding certainly has. I'd like to see Seattle get their hands on more passes. We aren't winning the turnover battle like we were last year and it's not because we're giving it away with more regularity. That lack of interception success certainly can be attributed to the quality of QB we've faced thus far.

The other issue I'm seeing early, is the reduction in pressure we're getting from our front 4. It's not at the same level as we saw last year. How much of that is due to the offenses/QBs we are facing, it's hard to say.

This year is certainly different. We're better against the run than I thought we would be. And offensively we have changed our approach as well. Fewer explosive plays. More consistent plus plays. More consistent rushing attack. It'll be interesting to watch this season unfold.

TzarokHawkFan

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3hfsk5dw said:
Pretty good synopsis.

I'd also add, that Seattle is still faring well, despite being the weekly barometer for every team. That is a difficult role to assume. This is a different year for us. But we do appear to be up for the challenge.

The lack of interceptions this year is a bit troubling. It certainly does appear that the refs have pretty much tossed the emphasis rules out the window with the exception of holding on to jerseys. Illegal contact doesn't seem to have survived the preseason emphasis, whereas holding certainly has. I'd like to see Seattle get their hands on more passes. We aren't winning the turnover battle like we were last year and it's not because we're giving it away with more regularity. That lack of interception success certainly can be attributed to the quality of QB we've faced thus far.

The other issue I'm seeing early, is the reduction in pressure we're getting from our front 4. It's not at the same level as we saw last year. How much of that is due to the offenses/QBs we are facing, it's hard to say.

This year is certainly different. We're better against the run than I thought we would be. And offensively we have changed our approach as well. Fewer explosive plays. More consistent plus plays. More consistent rushing attack. It'll be interesting to watch this season unfold.

With less games in hand, Avril and Bennett are 4th and 6th in "pass rush productivity" according to PFF for 4-3 DE's That's the BEST pass-rush combo in the league. We are moving guys off their spots and causing problems. I am not worried about it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
While I like Avril and Bennett a lot that is pushing it and needs a few qualifiers. Stats can be misleading here because of the way secondary performance dovetails with front seven performance. Watt is the best defensive lineman by a large margin and probably isn't in the top 32 in sacks; you have to watch the games to see his impact.

I can think of at least half a dozen combos that would see more FA dollars if they were currently available; Ware and Von Miller, Watt and Crick, Quinn and Brockers, Hali and Houston, Williams and Hughes, probably a couple more. Paea and Young maybe?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I hate the opening schedule. There's no rhythm yet. I think the league should try to have more teams on a bye at one time so that they can have fewer bye weeks. Byes this early in the season are just a waste. Putting the bye around a Monday night game like that is weird too.

Latest posts