Trade Wilson now

hawkfan68

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":3ek7rlhq said:
hawkfan68":3ek7rlhq said:
FresnoHawk68":3ek7rlhq said:
Miami needs to give Tua a shot & draft TE Pitts or WR Smith or Center Slater.

Jets know who to call when they want to make a trade (Adams & Richardson) $$$ talks BS walks! If Seattle likes Darnold more than RW (I do) they will pay more than anyone else, then trade RW to the Bears or Oakland.

But for that to happen Jets would have to be dumb enough to draft Zach Wilson!

RW highlights consist mostly of WR’s beating DB’s not impressive throws! The TD pass to Lockett in the Rams game & a few bombs dropping it in the breadbasket that’s RW claim to fame which has only been unanimously agreed upon 2021,2020, & 2019, up to that time half the population thought RW was over rated.

I don’t care what RW did I want to know what he will do now 2021!

I don't believe that for one second. Even Bill O'Brien wouldn't trade Russell Wilson for Darnold. No matter what package was offered in return. PC/JS make that move it would end their tenure in the NFL. Neither are that stupid.

Well it’s developing and PC/JS would definitely replace RW with a better QB that isn’t as decorated as RW because RW choked in the playoffs! You cannot over look choking on the big stage ever ever ever!

Your using the word trade I’m using the word replace. I’m focused on cause & effect! Is Sam Darnold the best Player Seattle can acquire this year including the draft? Well according to Pete’s comments multiple times over the last 3 years YES and does the video evidence of Sam Darnold skill sets support Sam being the best player available to Seattle this year, in my opinion YES!
Has Seattle put themselves in a flexible situation to acquire Donald when they should be selling out on the 2021 Super Bowl? Yes.

When Seattle extends RW for cap relief then a RW trade for draft picks is off the table but no matter what if Darnold hits the market you buy him.

I'd rather have TJack start for the Seahawks than Darnold. Factually that can't happen.
Sticking to the facts - Russell Wilson has almost as many wins in his rookie season than Darnold has in his entire NFL career to date. The Seahawks were a 7-9 team when Russell took over. So it's not like Russell was placed on a winning team.
Another fact, Pete Carroll sung praises of Taylor Mays yet he stayed away from drafting him, trading for him, or signing him. Sam Darnold seems to be the "Taylor Mays" of QBs. I believe Pete will stay away from him. He has $39 million dollars worth of reasons to. Which by the way, is another fact.

BASF

Reaction score
hawkfan68":22qmd1o9 said:
The Seahawks were a 7-9 team when Russell took over. So it's not like Russell was placed on a winning team.

The Seahawks were a 7-9 defense when Bobby took over. So it's not like Bobby was placed on a winning team.

Interesting how drafting a generational middle linebacker works.

Also, the signing of Giacomini to move on from the Carpenter at tackle experiment really increased the nastiness and effectiveness of the offensive line.

I love Wilson and was jumping up and down with excitement when we drafted him, but he was not the only piece we added that vastly improved the team that offseason.

ducks41468

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2l6vtoae said:
FresnoHawk68":2l6vtoae said:

Jets know who to call when they want to make a trade (Adams & Richardson) $$$ talks BS walks! If Seattle likes Darnold more than RW (I do) they will pay more than anyone else, then trade RW to the Bears or Oakland.

RW highlights consist mostly of WR’s beating DB’s not impressive throws! The TD pass to Lockett in the Rams game & a few bombs dropping it in the breadbasket that’s RW claim to fame which has only been unanimously agreed upon 2021,2020, & 2019, up to that time half the population thought RW was over rated.

I don't believe that for one second. Even Bill O'Brien wouldn't trade Russell Wilson for Darnold. No matter what package was offered in return. PC/JS make that move it would end their tenure in the NFL. Neither are that stupid.

This guy literally does not talk about anything except Sam Darnold, a QB who has shown absolutely nothing in 3 years.

Willing to bet this guy is Souixhawk or that other TJack poster.

toffee

Reaction score
BASF":1uixcraz said:
hawkfan68":1uixcraz said:
The Seahawks were a 7-9 team when Russell took over. So it's not like Russell was placed on a winning team.

The Seahawks were a 7-9 defense when Bobby took over. So it's not like Bobby was placed on a winning team.

Also, the signing of Giacomini to move on from the Carpenter at tackle experiment really increased the nastiness and effectiveness of the offensive line.

I love Wilson and was jumping up and down with excitement when we drafted him, but he was not the only piece we added that vastly improved the team that offseason.
We were most successful when the team was defense dominated, and offense was run oriented. Wilson's role was a elite game manager with ability to some heroics.

We have been less successful after we pivot to QB centric team with huge $$ invested in one position - QB.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
toffee":k385kpv7 said:
BASF":k385kpv7 said:
hawkfan68":k385kpv7 said:

We were most successful when the team was defense dominated, and offense was run oriented. Wilson's role was a elite game manager with ability to some heroics.

We have been less successful after we pivot to QB centric team with huge $$ invested in one position - QB.

Ahh really you do know that we still really haven't pivoted at all. Also, pre Wilson we where top defense and run game and 7-9, So the reality is we were most successful with a great defense, great run game and dynamic great QB guess what every team is. Now if you are taking huge dollars to the Qb okay, but that does not mean it is those huge dollars that are the problem we have also been way worse at drafts, and FAs.

So lets ook at it,

great defense and run game 7-9 2011 avcg 7 wins
Great defense, run game and great Qb 2012-2014 avg 11 wins
Great QB, not great defense, great run game 2015, 2018-2019, avg 10.5 wins
Great QB not great defense, not great run game 2016-2017 avg 9.5 wins

Hmm fewer wins with great run game and defense and no great QB then with just a great QB hmm

toffee

Reaction score
John63":3voncxvi said:
toffee":3voncxvi said:
BASF":3voncxvi said:
hawkfan68":3voncxvi said:

Ahh really you do know that we still really haven't pivoted at all. Also, pre Wilson we where top defense and run game and 7-9, So the reality is we were most successful with a great defense, great run game and dynamic great QB guess what every team is. Now if you are taking huge dollars to the Qb okay, but that does not mean it is those huge dollars that are the problem we have also been way worse at drafts, and FAs.

So lets ook at it,

great defense and run game 7-9 2011 avcg 7 wins
Great defense, run game and great Qb 2012-2014 avg 11 wins
Great QB, not great defense, great run game 2015, 2018-2019, avg 10.5 wins
Great QB not great defense, not great run game 2016-2017 avg 9.5 wins

Hmm fewer wins with great run game and defense and no great QB then with just a great QB hmm
Needless to say, we will never know what our record would have been without one Russell Wilson. But Pete Carroll certainly felt Wilson was the key to winning by ridding the team of Wilson doubters.

BASF

Reaction score
John63":3iitbs9f said:
Ahh really you do know that we still really haven't pivoted at all.

It is this type of intellectual dishonesty that landed you on my foes list. How can you say we haven't pivoted at all when Wilson's attempts have increased every year but one? Taking out Wilson's scrambles that were not designed runs has us as one of the lower half in the league in rushing attempts. This is Wilson's offense to run and has been for years.

toffee

Reaction score
BASF":2txc6mlb said:
John63":2txc6mlb said:

It is this type of intellectual dishonesty that landed you on my foes list. How can you say we haven't pivoted at all when Wilson's attempts have increased every year but one? Taking out Wilson's scrambles that were not designed runs has us as one of the lower half in the league in rushing attempts. This is Wilson's offense to run and has been for years.
This.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":3qfek5rl said:
John63":3qfek5rl said:

So I am going to refrain from the personal comments., SO lets see our oline ahh how many of them were known pass blockers? meaning they were known to be good at it? 1 Brown.

When we ran the ball a lot and we had fumbles, punts or whatever did we go away form it? NO

When we struggled passing did we go away from it Yes.

Was any of our OCs known as passing offensive gurus? NO all run

I can go on but you get it, well if you turn on the light anyway

When you want to go from a run orientated offense to pass there are things you need to do

improve oline pass blocking
get a passing OC
Commit to it and not run at first sight of trouble.

All things we have not done so sorry no we have not pivoted at all. We have started to but no there yet.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":1eslqjur said:
I don't want to see Wilson traded......I might have to root for him if he goes to a team I like. :lol:

Here's an honest question:

How much better is Wilson now than he was in 2013-2014?

How much worse is the run game/defense now versus those years?

Those respective gaps to me suggest what is needed for the Seahawks to become a true top NFC force in the postseason.

Nobody is as hard on Wilson than me, and I see the gap in his skills as significant over the last several years (hell even versus 2017, 2018). As of 2019 at the absolute latest, he's a real threat to defenses, September thru December, from my critical mouth. Holy f****, no longer can I say "garbage on the road, only good at home".

He's a tremendous regular season QB for a good chunk of the 16 games, but postseason his style of play runs into barriers fast. The drop off has been there every single season of his career except possibly his rookie season. He's never carried the Seahawks in the postseason like he has in recent regular seasons. The simplest explanation is probably that unstructured QB play just doesn't translate at a high level in the postseason. Cover 2 to limit the deep ball, and just sound defense to limit all the unbroken plays.

From the 30,000 foot view, that's the simplest explanation there is.

It's very possible that the delta drop off of new Wilson to old in January/February isn't particularly huge. Meanwhile the rest of the team has dropped off significantly.

To win a bowl with Wilson you'll need closer to 80-85% of the old run game and defense. His salary alone is gonna make that almost impossible, and I honestly don't think it's possible to rebuild an LOB type defense in 2021+........just ain't possible with the rules and state of the game, not to mention you'll need to hit on all sorts of draft picks.

You ride it out with Wilson long term, and accept that you'll need luck to win it all. It will look like mid to late '90s SF more or less. Every year an entertaining team to watch, but SB aspirations were held in check.

Once Wilson is truly done, you move on from him and maybe Pete/JS, reboot it.

Nothing lasts forever. Niners had to do this $h!t twice since Pete arrived......

My thoughts exactly.

At this point, it's not clear exactly what Russ "needs" can be supplied. Or that personnel quality will change much. We've made a few cheap FA deals. Relatively speaking at the mo, we don't have much in draft capital.

But even so, it's possible that we have what we had last year: It's possible Stafford isn't the game changer Rams think he is. Or Garrapolo gets hurt real early and that rookie won't be Justin Herbert ready. Or that Kyler's weaknesses will get figured out.

So the Seahawks' 2021 destiny is pretty much keeping Russ and doing some different things as that's the best chance we have, but I wouldn't say we are fully in control of our destiny right now either, especially not in the division.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
John63":3oqh33a0 said:
BASF":3oqh33a0 said:
John63":3oqh33a0 said:

So I am going to refrain from the personal comments., SO lets see our oline ahh how many of them were known pass blockers? meaning they were known to be good at it? 1 Brown.

When we ran the ball a lot and we had fumbles, punts or whatever did we go away form it? NO

When you want to go from a run orientated offense to pass there are things you need to do

get a passing OC

All things we have not done so sorry no we have not pivoted at all. We have started to but no there yet.
We've been increasing Wilson's pass attempts, and tried to go with a pass-first offense last year, and when that didn't work we fired the OC who wasn't succeeding with it and hired a passing game coordinator from a team with a successful passing game.

No progress, according to you.

Canned Cable and brought in Solari to fix the OL. Kept a center who was doing OK instead of letting him hit free agency like we did with Britt, and brought in a guard which was a problem position for us last season. Damien Lewis was a hit in the draft last season, probably thanks to Solari's input in the selection.

Still apparently no progress, according to you.

Provided Wilson with an absolute freak of nature target in Metcalf, an elusive one in Lockett, added a versatile tight end in Will Dissly (when he's healthy, obviously) who was a top blocking tight end in college but turned out to be a decent receiver as well, and a play-making tight end in Everett.

Nope, still no progress at all. "All things we have not done"

Not sure exactly what you want to see, because the writing is there on the wall in big letters waiting for you to read it.

How about you wait until you see Waldron's product on the field before condemning it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I suspect that like you, I considered the Waldron hire to be at least a partial attempt to placate Russ.

But then we couldn't help but notice that Russ went off shortly after that.

I certainly do hope that these two develop some kind of inner-bonding perception that might be more intimate-feeling than how he may feel toward Pete. Which may depend on W's independence or perception thereof.

We'll have to see, I guess.

NINEster

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3dkxlkvq said:
John63":3dkxlkvq said:
BASF":3dkxlkvq said:
John63":3dkxlkvq said:

get a passing OC

We've been increasing Wilson's pass attempts, and tried to go with a pass-first offense last year, and when that didn't work we fired the OC who wasn't succeeding with it and hired a passing game coordinator from a team with a successful passing game.

No progress, according to you.

Canned Cable and brought in Solari to fix the OL. Kept a center who was doing OK instead of letting him hit free agency like we did with Britt, and brought in a guard which was a problem position for us last season. Damien Lewis was a hit in the draft last season, probably thanks to Solari's input in the selection.

Still apparently no progress, according to you.

Provided Wilson with an absolute freak of nature target in Metcalf, an elusive one in Lockett, added a versatile tight end in Will Dissly (when he's healthy, obviously) who was a top blocking tight end in college but turned out to be a decent receiver as well, and a play-making tight end in Everett.

Nope, still no progress at all. "All things we have not done"

Not sure exactly what you want to see, because the writing is there on the wall in big letters waiting for you to read it.

How about you wait until you see Waldron's product on the field before condemning it.

For Seattle, you want the run game dominant. That's all you need from your OC.

The way Wilson plays, you just want the run game to be more effective like it used to be, with the passing game at least above average.

In the modern NFL, you can do it with a good zone block scheme and RB. Lynch was a very good ZBS back, which is why he popped with the Hawks and didn't as much with Buffalo.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd find a way to trade for Derrick Henry. There's gotta be a price to get him....he's just an RB, not a QB, haha.

With Henry on the Hawks, at least on offense they could be a true post season threat again.

It's been said a few times -- Wilson is great at two things:

Throwing a nice deep ball from the pocket
Throwing on the move, evading the rush

Shanahan, McVay, Reid aren't gonna make Wilson a 5,000 yard passer and throw 50 TDs. What they can do is get the run game better and be a little more creative than most to get WRs open. But Wilson doesn't exploit that like others.

History will show Bevell as the most underrated man in Seahawk coaching history. Blame him for how SB 49 ended or how Wilson never became Drew Brees (both ridiculous ideas), but give him credit for exploiting Wilson the young QB to be as effective as he was.

Wilson I promise you would have not been what he is now on many NFL teams. The 49ers would have messed him up too, based on how they dealt with Kaepernick.

You get the run game elite, your offense is fixed. Defense is another story.

Maulbert

Reaction score
knownone":1cvvd3ih said:
Maulbert":1cvvd3ih said:
Tinamedina":1cvvd3ih said:
knownone":1cvvd3ih said:
Zach Wilson will probably never be as good as him at QB, but Russ does not have that arm strength. Dude is throwing a 50 yard pass off his back foot and there is no air under it whatsoever. There are maybe 3 QBs in the league who can make that pass consistently.

somebody up that 80 yard ACCURATE touchdown pass to golden tate from russell wilson please.

accurate and under pressure, not throwing on pro day where there is no pressure.

until i see zach wilson or trey lance do that, knock it off.

I assume you mean the first play here:

[youtube]vxpDYv0YkK0[/youtube]
I would hope that's not it. First, that's a 50-yard pass. Second, there is a vast difference between throwing across your body off your back foot and planting your feet and throwing the ball, as Russ does in that video. Doing what Zach Wilson does is almost entirely dependent on natural arm strength. What Russ is doing is a combination of mechanics and arm strength.

It's the difference between Kirk Cousins and Aaron Rodgers. Cousins has a cannon when he can set his feet, but he can't make off-platform throws like Rodgers. For example, here is Cousins throwing a deeper pass than Wilson with his feet planted. [youtube]jxIKdF6xN4A[/youtube]

Keep in mind, natural arm strength has very little to do with how good a QB is. Tom Brady and Drew Brees have fairly average arms, and they lead the league in every major statistical category.

How about 61 yards?

[youtube]JTmqleYLURo[/youtube]

toffee

Reaction score
Eagles are stepping to the plate to offer whatever it takes to get Russ.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":27qkqv3s said:

Supposedly

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
hawkfan68":356nc36j said:
FresnoHawk68":356nc36j said:
hawkfan68":356nc36j said:
FresnoHawk68":356nc36j said:

Well it’s developing and PC/JS would definitely replace RW with a better QB that isn’t as decorated as RW because RW choked in the playoffs! You cannot over look choking on the big stage ever ever ever!

Your using the word trade I’m using the word replace. I’m focused on cause & effect! Is Sam Darnold the best Player Seattle can acquire this year including the draft? Well according to Pete’s comments multiple times over the last 3 years YES and does the video evidence of Sam Darnold skill sets support Sam being the best player available to Seattle this year, in my opinion YES!
Has Seattle put themselves in a flexible situation to acquire Donald when they should be selling out on the 2021 Super Bowl? Yes.

When Seattle extends RW for cap relief then a RW trade for draft picks is off the table but no matter what if Darnold hits the market you buy him.

I'd rather have TJack start for the Seahawks than Darnold. Factually that can't happen.
Sticking to the facts - Russell Wilson has almost as many wins in his rookie season than Darnold has in his entire NFL career to date. The Seahawks were a 7-9 team when Russell took over. So it's not like Russell was placed on a winning team.
Another fact, Pete Carroll sung praises of Taylor Mays yet he stayed away from drafting him, trading for him, or signing him. Sam Darnold seems to be the "Taylor Mays" of QBs. I believe Pete will stay away from him. He has $39 million dollars worth of reasons to. Which by the way, is another fact.

He was placed on a team with a top 5 all time defense just hitting stride and a magically resilient RB who was the best runner in the league over a 5 year span. I'm not trying take away from him at all, but your point really needs to address these two factors. Russ was magic on play action and RPOs precisely because everyone knew Lynch was the focus of the offense. Russ had HoF worthy plays early in his career and we don't win a SB without him IMO, but when you hold teams to 13 or fewer points, it's easy for any QB to rack up wins. And I'll stress once more that this isn't a dig on Russell, he means way more to the team's success now than he did then though. I'm of the opinion that the offense should be (and should have been) tailored to his strengths, not an old school coach's fairly inflexible offensive philosophy. That's why BB has been consistently elite, he adjusts the game for the players he has.

Now, I also don't think Russ is blameless for failure either. He leaves a lot of yards, firsts and TDs on the field trying to be magic and he eats up a ton of cap space. If he wants sustained success like Brady, he should take a look at amortizing his salary more to give the team more cap room. Maybe it won't work for this contract but it should be in his head if he re-signs here, which I sincerely hope he does. He and Ciara have and will continue to make plenty of money, he got to be the highest paid player of all time for the respect angle, if he wants more on field success, then he has to make sacrifices too.

In short, if PC and RW want sustained elite success like BB and TB, then they have to do what those two did. Not the cheating, of course, but the legal football stuff.

toffee

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":22qe35uk said:
hawkfan68":22qe35uk said:
FresnoHawk68":22qe35uk said:
hawkfan68":22qe35uk said:

He was placed on a team with a top 5 all time defense just hitting stride and a magically resilient RB who was the best runner in the league over a 5 year span. I'm not trying take away from him at all, but your point really needs to address these two factors. Russ was magic on play action and RPOs precisely because everyone knew Lynch was the focus of the offense. Russ had HoF worthy plays early in his career and we don't win a SB without him IMO, but when you hold teams to 13 or fewer points, it's easy for any QB to rack up wins. And I'll stress once more that this isn't a dig on Russell, he means way more to the team's success now than he did then though. I'm of the opinion that the offense should be (and should have been) tailored to his strengths, not an old school coach's fairly inflexible offensive philosophy. That's why BB has been consistently elite, he adjusts the game for the players he has.

Now, I also don't think Russ is blameless for failure either. He leaves a lot of yards, firsts and TDs on the field trying to be magic and he eats up a ton of cap space. If he wants sustained success like Brady, he should take a look at amortizing his salary more to give the team more cap room. Maybe it won't work for this contract but it should be in his head if he re-signs here, which I sincerely hope he does. He and Ciara have and will continue to make plenty of money, he got to be the highest paid player of all time for the respect angle, if he wants more on field success, then he has to make sacrifices too.

In short, if PC and RW want sustained elite success like BB and TB, then they have to do what those two did. Not the cheating, of course, but the legal football stuff.
Nah, Russ needs $$, he will need them when he buys a nfl franchise.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
toffee":v63j1c3x said:

This one is actually interesting:

Eagles give us potentially 4 first-round picks (1 this year, 3 next) and Jalen Hurts for Russell Wilson. 2022 picks would be dependent on finishing order of Eagles, Dolphins, and Colts. Not exactly powerhouses.

Regardless of our opinions of Jalen Hurts, those firsts are interesting because they are not nearly-second-round picks (assuming Wentz plays 75% of Colts' snaps). They would likely be mid first-round.

So just some white boarding here - imagine if we picked up Jaylen Waddle at 12. The receiver combo of Lockett-Waddle-Metcalf would be off-the-scale ridiculous in terms of speed and potential for those YAC yards.

Yes, we have other needs, but let's play a bit long-term here. Wilson would blow our cap this year for sure. Way too much dead money. But next year, we're out from under Wilson's salary, have 3 first-round picks where we had none (worst case two and a extra second), a lot of cap room to spend, and that WR corps.

That's not a terrible position to be in, to be honest. We could afford to make deep dives on both lines and the secondary.

Before the Wilson-addicts chew me up, I am not Schneider making this trade - just putting it up on the whiteboard saying "what if".

toffee

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":9jgjb33y said:
toffee":9jgjb33y said:

This one is actually interesting:

Eagles give us potentially 4 first-round picks (1 this year, 3 next) and Jalen Hurts for Russell Wilson. 2022 picks would be dependent on finishing order of Eagles, Dolphins, and Colts. Not exactly powerhouses.

Regardless of our opinions of Jalen Hurts, those firsts are interesting because they are not nearly-second-round picks (assuming Wentz plays 75% of Colts' snaps). They would likely be mid first-round.

So just some white boarding here - imagine if we picked up Jaylen Waddle at 12. The receiver combo of Lockett-Waddle-Metcalf would be off-the-scale ridiculous in terms of speed and potential for those YAC yards.

Yes, we have other needs, but let's play a bit long-term here. Wilson would blow our cap this year for sure. Way too much dead money. But next year, we're out from under Wilson's salary, have 3 first-round picks where we had none (worst case two and a extra second), a lot of cap room to spend, and that WR corps.

That's not a terrible position to be in, to be honest. We could afford to make deep dives on both lines and the secondary.

Before the Wilson-addicts chew me up, I am not Schneider making this trade - just putting it up on the whiteboard saying "what if".
Wilson's trade value next year likely to be lower than now. We haven't restructure his contract and he hasn't openly go on media about staying.

To me, we are still in post Wilson era.

Latest posts