Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russ struggling?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 am
  • If you take out the first half if the season his numbers would look somewhere in the middle of the pack for sure. Obviously the start of the season was out of the world so you can't compare to that but something definitely looks off a bit with the offense.

    My guess is a combination of Russ being a little gun shy after throwing so many picks in the Buffalo and Arizona game and Pete dialing back the offense to help the defense but this is just pure speculation.

    Seems like every year he goes through a stretch where he hits his back foot and the ball doesn't come out.

    Russ doesn't have to be what he was in the first 5 but he has to be better then the last 5 for us to do anything.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5068
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 am
  • Def. some trade off's with his style. Absolutely he does hold on to the ball too long at times. Same thing plenty other guys do. A couple of those sacks looked like designed runs up the middle and/or he saw a big opening and kind of ran right into it. But we were watching the game and were more impressed with that damn good Rams defense. What looked like an easy run up the middle for him closed up quick. I actually prefer he be extra careful. But I don't think even Pete can just take away the gunslinger, back yard football/create big plays from Russ. That's just a part of who he is as a QB. Can it be maddening at times? Hell yes, but the payoff is one of the most successful QB's we have ever seen. He gets it done as well as any in the history of the game.
    He had a mid season slump for his standards. Russ homer or not, I guess I just don't think he's playing as bad as many make it out to be. It goes without saying he has to be on top of his game for this team to be successful. But that is no different than any team with a top tier QB.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:34 am
  • John63 wrote:Here is the reality

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/four-downs-with-bob-condotta-and-adam-jude-answering-four-seahawks-questions-after-their-victory-over-the-rams/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SNA_122820225011+Answering+the+Seahawks%27+most+pressing+questions_12_28_2020&utm_term=Registered%20User

    ". Has the offense found its winning formula for the playoffs?
    Jude: For the most part, yes. The Let Russ Cook era, as brief as it was, was thrilling — there’s no denying that. And I understand some of the consternation from a particular faction of the fan base that’s screaming for Carroll to again give Wilson more freedom. But Carroll does not view offensive football in a vacuum; he does not see defensive football in a vacuum, either. When he talks about “balance” and a “complementary” style, he is talking about his offense and his defense helping each other out. We saw a prime example of that not happening in the Buffalo game, when Seattle’s four offensive turnovers put its defense in peril. Carroll is not going back to that. The Seahawks’ September offensive surge was, in hindsight, a mirage. There was nothing normal about the buildup to the 2020 season for anyone — limited practices, no preseason, new testing routines, etc., and offenses around the league had the upper hand early. Seattle’s offensive success in the first half of the season created unrealistic expectations. Defenses have adjusted; they’re making it harder for the Seahawks to execute those big plays downfield — the loss to the Giants being a prime example of that. Wilson tried three deep passes Sunday; the throws for Metcalf and Tyler Lockett fell incomplete. The 45-yard pass to David Moore was the play of the game on offense. You can call Carroll’s approach conservative, but you have to also acknowledge it’s a proven approach in the playoffs — and one the Seahawks used to win a playoff-type game Sunday.

    Condotta: Yes. True, it took a little while for Seattle’s offense to find its footing Sunday. But as Carroll noted later, a big factor was the Seahawks not turning the ball over — one of just five times this year Seattle has done that. All have been wins. And I think some of the “slow start” was in part not wanting to make a game-turning mistake. As long as Seattle was within one possession of tying or taking the lead, the Seahawks were going to preach not screwing things up on offense, especially early. You saw Wilson get more aggressive in the second half and that was by design. True, Seattle averaged just 4.8 yards per play, lowest of the season other than the loss against the Giants. But that rose to 6.3 in the second half when Seattle had five of its seven longest gains, with Wilson completing 10 of 13 passes for 141 yards against statistically the NFL’s best pass defense. In Carroll’s perfect world Seattle might rush for more than 95 yards. But Seattle had 4.0 per attempt, and Chris Carson had 21 yards on three attempts on the final touchdown drive that moved the ball and kept the clock running (or forced L.A. to use its timeouts). It felt like the running game was just enough to make a difference, which is what Seattle will need in the postseason."


    You will not see many if any 300+ 4td games. You will see more of the 200 yards 2-3 tds high complt % games. Which is what we got this last game, adn what PC wants

    So the if that is not elite to you then take it up with PC. And FYi going by PCs definition Wilson was elite this last game.



    This is what I have been thinking. Pete is all about competitive balance. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Russell’s numbers went down about the same time that the defense started getting it together.

    With the let Russ cook philosophy, the offense was able to go out and almost score at will. Or so it seems upon retrospect. What this scoring did was put the Seahawks up fairly big but also inspired opposing teams to start chucking the ball in an all out effort to get back in the game. The defense ended up back on their heels and gave up big chunks of yards. This was at a time when players were out injured and/or were new to the team without the benefit of offseason programs and preseason to learn the scheme and each other.

    I believe that Pete looked at this and decided it wasn’t helping the competitive balance of the team. It looks to me that Pete dialed back the let cook Russ philosophy and went back to Pete ball. The 6-6 tie at halftime lends some credence to this. According to reports, Pete was very happy with the halftime results. In affect they were playing exactly the way he wanted them to play.

    I’m also convinced there was a series in the third quarter where they had to punt that Russ actually took control. It was when he overthrew Tyler. The look on his face seemed like he knew he could put the ball wherever he wanted, he just needed to adjust to his teammates. He also had a scramble in that same drive where it just seemed like the light went on.

    It looks to me like they have been working on finding the right balance of when to let Russ cook.
    As far as Russ looking off in the pocket...I just don’t think he’s as quick as he was a few years ago and is learning to adjust his game to that little loss of instinctual quickness.

    This has been an interesting year without the offseason programs and preseason. The teams that have done the best work of learning and adjusting in this model will be the ones standing at the end.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2598
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Fair enough. I just find it odd that even when he wins a big game, more time is spent on the negative when it comes to Russ. Oh well, kind of par for the course his entire career.


    It comes with the territory. Every quarterback that has ever played the position has had to put up with the same type or worse criticism. Remember what they used to say about Steve Young and John Elway? Can't win the big one?
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1817
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:42 am
  • Except for he HAS won the big one. And has flat out carried this team for years, on many occasions.
    The Defense was so bad earlier in the year, he had to try to put it all on himself. Thus, forcing things. Not his usual style. People quickly forget that he has always been VERY good at staying away from turnovers. This year, he had that stretch, but he's fine.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 am
  • Aros wrote:My biggest beef yesterday was Russell not bootlegging out of pressure, instead staying back in the high point of the pocket for too long, inevitably pressure would get there where happy feet, shoulder shrugs and sacks could be found.

    I want Russell MOVING especially against those tough fronts like the Rams have. He may not be as fast as he used to be but he can still move and has decent mobility for a QB. I can't tell how much of this is Russ or Schotty. Hike the ball, roll out of the pocket and buy some time (when it's warranted). When Russ is a lot more mobile, he can change the game and frustrate the hell out of defenses.

    I get that you don't want your QB bootlegging on every pass play but this stubborn insistence to try to stay in the pocket when there's nothing available, forcing a incompletion or inaccurate pass or worse, a sack, just frustrates me to no end.



    Yeah the timing and tempo seems off too. If the play calls for a 3-step drop, then he needs to pull the trigger right then and there. Too much hesitation. Otherwise, if he's looking something more downfield, why not more boots to get away from that collapsing pocket?

    Also a couple of plays where he could have gained some big yards on a read-option keeper. Why call read-option if he never keeps?

    Obviously the game plan worked against this Rams defense. But I would like to see more variety and creativity. Make every down count.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1733
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:53 am
  • Again, the perfect quarterback does not exist.
    The Quick passing game was $ vs. Washington. They are very capable of adjusting. The offense in general has been a bit up and down lately. But they did just put up 20 on 2 of the best defenses in the league.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:29 am
  • He’s making $35M/Year. He IS the highest paid player in the NFL this season.

    Is he playing like the highest paid player in the league?
    No!

    Is he playing like a top 5 QB in the league?
    No! Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, Tannehill playing better than him.
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1705
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:40 am
    Location: Washington DC


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 am
  • Rodgers and Mahomes, sure. He could throw 9 TD's and zero picks and people would complain. Period.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:55 am
  • Tale of Russell's season:

    Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

    First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

    Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

    Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

    So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

    Absolutely.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:59 am
  • Yep, he WAS struggling, briefly. All while trying to carry the team when the defense WAS (again, was) incredibly bad.
    If you're going to have to force things and carry the team, it is going to lead to turnovers, period.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am
  • Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3643
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.



    Game

    Rams 62.5 CMP% 93.9 QBR 1 TD

    Not the Skins 66.7 CMP% 73.2 QBR 1 TD

    Jets 77.8 CMP% 122.6 QBR 4 TD's

    Giants 62.8 CMP% 78.0 QBR 1 TD

    Eagles 71.0 CMP% 102.9 QBR 1 TD

    Cardinals 82.1 CMP% 119.8 QBR 2 TD's


    Out of these six games, only the Giants game would I say Russell struggled or "been off."

    Efficient, accurate, timely plays when it matters. That's his game...............and after 10 years anyone thinking he should be more week in and week out? That's on you, because that's not who he is as a QB.

    At times like we saw early in the year? Sure, but that's not ever been his game. What we've seen in the last 5-6 weeks is.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:32 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Except for he HAS won the big one. And has flat out carried this team for years, on many occasions.

    The Defense was so bad earlier in the year, he had to try to put it all on himself. Thus, forcing things. Not his usual style. People quickly forget that he has always been VERY good at staying away from turnovers. This year, he had that stretch, but he's fine.


    All I was saying that Russell, like all quarterbacks, is going to get criticized almost as much as the head coach does regardless of how well they might have played in the past. It's as American as apple pie.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1817
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:50 am
  • I think Russ is struggling. Some things I saw:

    1) He's always underthrown his deep balls, like the 45 yarder to Moore. But the last few games he's straight up missed, like the over throw of Lockett and putting the deep ball to Metcalf on the boundary after Metcalf had won early to the inside.
    2) Decision making is slow or bad. Someone mentioned his 8-yard scramble up the middle with 0:23 in the first half. On the TD he just ran up to the line and stopped, before realizing he had an open path to the pylon. There were also a couple screens, where the play was set up perfect, but he wouldn't throw the ball because the linemen intentionally let through were in his face.
    3) Won't use his outlet. This is another thing he does that makes me nuts. Taking sacks or grounding it with his outlet standing in the flat smoking a cigarette.

    That said, he's still a great QB. I just think he's either under-prepared or over-prepared because he's getting indecisive which makes him miss opportunities or rush and make mistakes (aka career high 13 INT).
    Own The West
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 466
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:50 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I'm laughing more at the fact that no matter what this guy does, it's never good enough.
    A bunch of whining 12's on the radio were complaining that Russ "should have ran" instead of throwing an absolute dime to Moore. Geez man, he just can't win.
    Lord Rodgers and Mahomes do the same exact thing all the time, they get praised for it. Russ does it, he's making a "bad decision"
    He only "should have ran it" if it DOESN'T WORK. You could point to many QB's around the league and see a play that they had a bunch of running room, but threw it downfield. It's not some uncommon thing.
    If he does run it, people will point out that he missed a wide open player. If he doesn't run it, he gets blasted for that.

    I didn't like the play calling that was keeping him in the pocket. Not against that D Line. But at the same time, 2 HUGE touchdown drives in the 2nd half. And Russ being Nails AGAIN. They are not even close to 11-4 without him under center. Can he play better? Absolutely. But he was basically carrying the team the first half of the season because what WAS a historically bad defense.



    Wow. I am glad you are posting. Some times he's gonna run it and sometimes he's gonna throw it. Great connection there with DMo. In the same game, he feigns pass and runs it in for a touchdown. There were probably a bunch spassses sitting on their couch on that play screaming throw it, throw it already. Thank god they don't get to decide anything, or even handle water boy duties.

    Obviously there are coaching and game planning impact on what Russ is doing. It will be interesting to see how they attack the 49ers. I think we'll see a lot of Air Russ early and a lot of running in the second half.
    capncrunch
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 352
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am
    Location: Vienna, VA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:02 pm
  • ludakrishna wrote:He’s making $35M/Year. He IS the highest paid player in the NFL this season.

    Is he playing like the highest paid player in the league?
    No!

    Is he playing like a top 5 QB in the league?
    No! Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Brady, Tannehill playing better than him.



    and yet the stats who other otherwise. He si on of only 23qbs in the top 11 in yeards, ypa, tds, qb rating, and complt%


    Hmm
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4026
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:04 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Tale of Russell's season:

    Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

    First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

    Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

    Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

    So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

    Absolutely.



    Don't agree, He can work on their levels, but that is not what PC wants as he said. Also Rodgers and Mahomes are in more pass orientated offenses with more Offensive minded coaches and a team built for passing. Hence why they always seem to have someone wide open while we do not. Why they game plan to get them open we don't.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4026
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:14 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Tale of Russell's season:

    Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

    First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

    Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

    Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

    So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

    Absolutely.



    Don't agree, He can work on their levels, but that is not what PC wants as he said. Also Rodgers and Mahomes are in more pass orientated offenses with more Offensive minded coaches and a team built for passing. Hence why they always seem to have someone wide open while we do not. Why they game plan to get them open we don't.


    Russ proved during weeks 6-11 that he can't work on their levels. He proved that he is prone to panicking, making bad line and protection calls and is hesitant with the ball when it's all on him to carry the offense.

    So you can blame Pete, the system, Schotty, or anyone else you want to..........but this is a discussion we've had for going on 10 years. The "Let Russ Cook" garbage should die a horrible death.

    Because he showed us this year he's not on the same level as Mahomes and Rodgers that can carry a team game in, game out, year in and year out.

    Russell NEEDS that offensive balance to do his thing, and he does it well and I'm glad he's our QB. But to keep pounding this drum makes no sense. He proved to you he cannot do it all the time this very year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 pm
  • Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
    He has been running for his life his entire career.
    He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
    I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.
    But he absolutely has to be on top of his game in the Playoffs, and we all know what he's capable of. Or should. I'm not worried about Russ. Team game, it's obviously that ANY team needs to be on top of their game in the playoffs.
    Shoot, look at the Chiefs, they are best team in the league imo. However, the last month and a half, they are barely putting teams away. Fortunately for them, they have a QB, who like Russ, can finish games and get that W, even if the team isn't playing their best.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:39 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
    He has been running for his life his entire career.
    He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
    I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.


    I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

    Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

    Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

    No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

    8 Int's
    under 70% completion percentage
    4 losses
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:43 pm
  • But still 11 wins, 70 percent plus, 4000 plus and 38 TD's.
    That's pretty damn solid. He clearly needs a running game though. Looks like the true Russ when he has that in the mix.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:But still 11 wins, 70 percent plus, 4000 plus and 38 TD's.
    That's pretty damn solid.



    Yep, all within the confines of Pete's balanced offensive philosophy. Just like every other year Russell's excelled.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:50 pm
  • I love this offense a lot more when it's more balanced. What he didn't have when he was "struggling" and forcing things was that running game. Carson/Hyde/Penny, completely different team with that 3 headed monster. This team is better when they are pounding the rock and setting up play action. Russ is VERY capable of doing anything those 2 guys can do. But is it the right thing for THIS team to just sling it all over the yard, not really imo. However, they flat out ARE capable of winning in a shootout if needed. They were averaging over 30 a game for most of the season. But, the newer/more balanced offense just feels a lot better and more suited to his strengths. Shoot, look at the huge 3rd down conversions by DK. They were shorter passes and they let him use his strength to get that 1st down. Nice adjustment by Shotty. In the WFT game, it was about running the ball and short passing game. They gave up zero sacks. That was huge. They are very capable of not only being balanced, but of adjusting. Sometimes, it does feel like they don't adjust. So, when they actually do, you really appreciate it.
    As far as the short passing game goes, one thing I will never understand is the fact that people still claim he can't throw from the pocket. Just ridiculous and flat out not true. He can also dink and dunk a team all day. Just as he can win a shootout.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    renofox wrote:RW is struggling - to play at the ELITE level of which we know he is capable.

    Even while struggling, he is playing at an above-average level for NFL QBs. BUT, he is playing at below his average, especially on 3rd downs which is the most impactful down for QB performance.

    The eye test and the stats both prove this.

    RW seems to have stretches of not-elite play every year, some longer than others. This year the stretch lasted longer than normal but it looks like his play is improving and will be back to elite level by the time the Seahawks hit the playoffs.



    The question is what is your definition of elite play?

    Is it 4 td and 300+ yards every game, in which case no Qb is elite

    So first define Elite. Then we can have the discussion



    Elite "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society".
    There is only a handful of QB's I would put on the elite page Brady and Brees, Mahomes and Mahomes might not be there I haven't watch enough of his games to see it.

    What does Brady and Brees have that other QB's don't the ability to read the Defense hell they call out protection on the line of course I listen to the announcers on what they are saying how about the Go routes they call and get pissed when the receiver doesn't do what their suppose to.

    Now the shoe on the other foot Elite: Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Murry what do these QB's have that a Brady or Brees don't the ability to stretch the play out the ability to run and get yardage but out of these QB's Wilson and Mahomes is the best they're way more accurate.

    So if we had a Wilson ability with a Brady Ability That would be awesome. If Wilson just had a top notched QB coach I'd bet he would be with out a doubt number one in the NFL.
    onepicknick1
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:12 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
    He has been running for his life his entire career.
    He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
    I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.


    I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

    Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

    Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

    No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

    8 Int's
    under 70% completion percentage
    4 losses

    This is perhaps the best post in this saga of RW being elite/not elite..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5931
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm
  • 4 Losses, but w/out a running game. Just sayin
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm
  • We're very fortunate to have Wilson as our QB.

    He's not perfect, but who is?
    As long as he's not turning the ball over and completes 70% of his passes, the Seahawks have a great chance to win.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3757
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:33 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Tale of Russell's season:

    Pre-season: Tells Pete and everyone else that'll listen that he wants to cook in order to fulfill his commitment of being the best QB ever.

    First 5-6 games: Russ plays at MVP level because he and his receivers are light years ahead of NFL defenses that had no practice time in camp or pre-season games.

    Middle 5-6 games: Russ forces same game plan and playcalling that worked for the first five games, but defenses caught up and figured out how to defend the deep shot offense Russell was employing.

    Last 2-3 games: Russell settled into what works, and more importantly what he's consistently good at.........which is making sure the run game leads to explosive play action relying on his accuracy and play making ability.

    So struggling? No, not anymore. But learning that he's not the same QB as guys like Rodgers and Mahomes and he NEEDS a balanced offense with a good run game in order to take advantage of what he does best?

    Absolutely.



    Yep...That's exactly it... Russ isn't struggling Football is a game of constant adjustment..


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:47 pm
  • Russ Struggling =

    He isn't putting up the numbers for me to win my Fantasy week anymore !
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 34901
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm
  • this ^^^^^^
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:35 pm
  • I prefer to see that Russ is trending up, even while playing vs top rated defenses. His QB rating for last half vs Ram was back up to something like 135.
    But the real improvement is reduction in turnovers. Winning the TO battle is crucial to our chances.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2013
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm
  • Yep, being a lot more careful with the ball. Turnovers way down. And they put up 20 against very good defenses in back to back weeks. You can't underestimate how HUGE that 80 yard dagger drive was. That was vintage Russ, nails with the game on the line. We've seen it so many times, it's not really that surprising.
    The fact that they did against that team, with the division on the line is huge. It's a great confidence booster, and he was right back to laser focused, I'm about to rip your heart out Russ.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:30 pm
  • Mike Upati and Brandon Shell being out obviously doesn't help against Aaron Donald, he dominated the line again-nothing new there-but you can see Russ is still making some very questionable throws-he nearly had ANOTHER INT with that quick throw to Lockett and yes the David Moore throw and catch was awesome but IIRC it was on another 3rd and short yardage situation. I consider these "hero" ball throws in these situations because instead of working to convert the 3rd down in short yards Russ still feels the need to go for the hard throws-it's exciting and frustrating at the same time.
    Polk738
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 534
    Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:34 pm
  • Polk738 wrote:Mike Upati and Brandon Shell being out obviously doesn't help against Aaron Donald, he dominated the line again-nothing new there-but you can see Russ is still making some very questionable throws-he nearly had ANOTHER INT with that quick throw to Lockett and yes the David Moore throw and catch was awesome but IIRC it was on another 3rd and short yardage situation. I consider these "hero" ball throws in these situations because instead of working to convert the 3rd down in short yards Russ still feels the need to go for the hard throws-it's exciting and frustrating at the same time.


    He also made one of the most beautiful quick decision touch passes to Hollister with Donald in his face to seal the game.

    Half a second of hesitation and he gets sacked.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 18491
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:49 pm
  • Re the third down percentage, 8-17 is better than our overall season number isn't it? BTW, the Rams average giving up 18 points per game. When I look back at their schedule, the Hawks did as well as possibly anyone else. Tampa scored 24 but Brady threw at least 2 picks. Bills scored 32 but turned it over too.

    When it was 6-6 at the half the game really reminded me of one of the slug-fest with the Niners in what is now the beginning of last decade.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1158
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:47 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Funny how if he doesn't have huge stats (which has NEVER been the way Pete wants him to run the offense) then he somehow isn't on the level of these other guys. I'm not arguing that he's overall having as good a year as Mahomes or Lord Rodgers. But, look at the offenses those guys are being handed by the play calling etc. Also, pass blocking is iffy at best almost every time he is "struggling"
    He has been running for his life his entire career.
    He's over 70 percent, 4000+ and 38 touchdowns, and has lead his team to an 11-4 record.
    I bet MOST fanbases would love to have a QB who is "struggling" like this guy.


    I'm the one saying Russell isn't struggling, what we've seen this year IS Russell.

    Also why I say he's not on the same level and Mahomes or Rodgers, but he's close enough for me to thank baby Jesus every day that he fell to us in the 3rd round and became our Hall of Fame caliber franchise QB for hopefully 15+ years.

    Others want to blame Pete, and they're wrong. This is who Russell is, and there's nothing wrong with having a clutch QB that can win by putting up 300 yards and 4 TD's, and he can win with only 150 yards and 1 TD.

    No better evidence then what he's done this year. In his prime with the full command of the playbook he couldn't carry the offense when he had no RB's and the defense knew how to defend him.

    8 Int's
    under 70% completion percentage
    4 losses


    Rodgers is having a great year, but look at his #s the last few, do you not recall the 9ers wiping the floor with him twice last year? The same team we beat and came within 1/2 of beating again.... How did Russ outplay Rodgers so badly if he's not on his level ? The packers have always had a way better o line.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1654
    Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:54 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:56 pm
  • His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

    Haven't seen anything like that in some time from him.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3017
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:I prefer to see that Russ is trending up, even while playing vs top rated defenses. His QB rating for last half vs Ram was back up to something like 135.
    But the real improvement is reduction in turnovers. Winning the TO battle is crucial to our chances.




    well yeah... Now that they are running the ball more effectively...


    LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm
  • seabowl wrote:His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

    Haven't seen anything like that in some time from him.


    I agree. His escapability was one of his greatest assets earlier in his career. His pirouettes were a thing of beauty and his speed to outrun defenders was well known. He is a bit thicker than he used to be but how much of that is purposeful or just age I am not sure. I do recall one year he added bulk to help with all the hits he was taking but the next year he dropped a few because he realized it slowed him down too much.

    One thing we can all agree on is his durability. To my knowledge he has never missed a single game in his soon-to-be 10-year career. That is remarkable, especially when you take into consideration the hits and sacks he's taken. But he is a flat out maestro when it comes to avoiding injury on the run. Outside of that season he was playing hurt with a bum ankle and knee I believe, he has been incredibly blessed to avoid a major injury that sidelines him.

    Sometimes I feel I am asking too much of Russell. One, because he's set us up to expect sheer excellence from him so when he appears human and normal, we feel something is off. Two, because I forget this isn't 2012-2017 Russell where he was at the top of his game from a speed and escapability standpoint. A decade in this league, I don't care who you are, you are not going to look exactly the same from your earliest years to current. No matter your nutrition, your commitment to health, exercise, etc. Father Time, again, remains undefeated.

    Is Russ struggling? Eh, I don't really think so. Was he struggling a month ago? Absolutely. He threw 10 picks in a 4-5 week period if I recall. Yes, that's struggling. I think he's found his confidence in recent weeks and I think that continues. How far it takes us, who knows.

    What I do know is that I am forever grateful to have Russell Wilson as our quarterback for all these years and I hope several more. He's been nothing short of a gift to this franchise and I hope to be around to celebrate his speech in Canton one fine day.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14878
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:02 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    seabowl wrote:His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

    Haven't seen anything like that in some time from him.


    I agree. His escapability was one of his greatest assets earlier in his career. His pirouettes were a thing of beauty and his speed to outrun defenders was well known. He is a bit thicker than he used to be but how much of that is purposeful or just age I am not sure. I do recall one year he added bulk to help with all the hits he was taking but the next year he dropped a few because he realized it slowed him down too much.

    One thing we can all agree on is his durability. To my knowledge he has never missed a single game in his soon-to-be 10-year career. That is remarkable, especially when you take into consideration the hits and sacks he's taken. But he is a flat out maestro when it comes to avoiding injury on the run. Outside of that season he was playing hurt with a bum ankle and knee I believe, he has been incredibly blessed to avoid a major injury that sidelines him.

    Sometimes I feel I am asking too much of Russell. One, because he's set us up to expect sheer excellence from him so when he appears human and normal, we feel something is off. Two, because I forget this isn't 2012-2017 Russell where he was at the top of his game from a speed and escapability standpoint. A decade in this league, I don't care who you are, you are not going to look exactly the same from your earliest years to current. No matter your nutrition, your commitment to health, exercise, etc. Father Time, again, remains undefeated.

    Is Russ struggling? Eh, I don't really think so. Was he struggling a month ago? Absolutely. He threw 10 picks in a 4-5 week period if I recall. Yes, that's struggling. I think he's found his confidence in recent weeks and I think that continues. How far it takes us, who knows.

    What I do know is that I am forever grateful to have Russell Wilson as our quarterback for all these years and I hope several more. He's been nothing short of a gift to this franchise and I hope to be around to celebrate his speech in Canton one fine day.


    Great post Aros I hope I'm around when he goes to Canton he should be a first year inductee for sure I still think he should've won the Rookie MVP.
    Russ is a lot slower then he was but father time catches us all let's see Murray and Jackson in 10 yrs if they're still in the league I think Russ is still improvising because of the speed he's loss can't say enough on how healthy he's stayed all these years what year was that he was just getting pounded I thought for sure he was going to get injured.
    onepicknick1
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 163
    Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    seabowl wrote:His elusiveness is just not there anymore. What made him truly special was his unearthly ability to escape pressure and make something great out of absolutely nothing.

    Haven't seen anything like that in some time from him.


    I agree. His escapability was one of his greatest assets earlier in his career. His pirouettes were a thing of beauty and his speed to outrun defenders was well known. He is a bit thicker than he used to be but how much of that is purposeful or just age I am not sure. I do recall one year he added bulk to help with all the hits he was taking but the next year he dropped a few because he realized it slowed him down too much.

    One thing we can all agree on is his durability. To my knowledge he has never missed a single game in his soon-to-be 10-year career. That is remarkable, especially when you take into consideration the hits and sacks he's taken. But he is a flat out maestro when it comes to avoiding injury on the run. Outside of that season he was playing hurt with a bum ankle and knee I believe, he has been incredibly blessed to avoid a major injury that sidelines him.

    Sometimes I feel I am asking too much of Russell. One, because he's set us up to expect sheer excellence from him so when he appears human and normal, we feel something is off. Two, because I forget this isn't 2012-2017 Russell where he was at the top of his game from a speed and escapability standpoint. A decade in this league, I don't care who you are, you are not going to look exactly the same from your earliest years to current. No matter your nutrition, your commitment to health, exercise, etc. Father Time, again, remains undefeated.

    Is Russ struggling? Eh, I don't really think so. Was he struggling a month ago? Absolutely. He threw 10 picks in a 4-5 week period if I recall. Yes, that's struggling. I think he's found his confidence in recent weeks and I think that continues. How far it takes us, who knows.

    What I do know is that I am forever grateful to have Russell Wilson as our quarterback for all these years and I hope several more. He's been nothing short of a gift to this franchise and I hope to be around to celebrate his speech in Canton one fine day.



    Absolutely agree. It’s also why I believe they drafted Lewis at RG this year. It will be interesting to see how they work on the o-line during the offseason. They are going to need to protect Russ like they didn’t need to early in his career.
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2598
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: Russ struggling?
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:21 pm
  • I hope he's about to get his mojo back. He was awful for at least three games this year,(Rams I, Buffalo, Giants, Washington 2nd half...). He's not lightning sharp like he could be. He's missing on deep throws now, when he was $$. Remember when he'd drop back, co**, and fire and we knew it was a td? Still, in the second half you saw him make those small plays. that are so huge. Instead of a sack he gets a dart out for 6-7 yards and a manageable 3rd down. He had Been pretty average lately. Thank goodness he's not Got sliding at 9 yards rather than getting the 1st.
    evergreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 761
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 am
  • He still is very good at escaping in the pocket and creating things. Of course he doesn't have the same speed as he did. Big deal, he gets the job done. I'm surprised that after almost a decade with Russ, people are actually worried about him. Screw that, bring on the playoffs, this isn't his first rodeo.
    But, even if he does win in the playoffs, it will get downplayed and someone will dwell on a pick, even if he throws 4 touchdowns and wins the game.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:55 am
  • An NFL QB is the most complicated demanding position in professional sports . Inconsistencies start to occur usually at the end of the so-called prime years . The block of prime years are different for every player . The sacks and hits that Wilson has taken in his career and having to carry a team for so many seasons might make him a much older QB than his actual time in the league . He still can play at an elite level at times but maybe his best years are behind him . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4325
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:20 am
  • It sounds like some are suggesting that Russ has peaked as QB due to his decline in run speed, which makes him a dynamic threat. While this may be true, the recent slump appears more mental than physical to me. He is just not as sharp as he was during the beginning of the season. Jittery feet, hesitation, missing open receivers. That's not a physical thing. It's all in his head.

    Can he get out of his slump? Yes. He's trending up, and we'll learn more against the 9ers, who will be playing their "SB" this Sunday. Saleh is also auditioning for a HC role, so they are playing to win.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1733
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 am
  • Yeah, his best years are behind him. Oh brother, I just can't...…

    You guys have a great holiday. Go Hawks!
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17122
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:06 am
  • John63 wrote:Here is the reality

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/four-downs-with-bob-condotta-and-adam-jude-answering-four-seahawks-questions-after-their-victory-over-the-rams/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SNA_122820225011+Answering+the+Seahawks%27+most+pressing+questions_12_28_2020&utm_term=Registered%20User

    ". Has the offense found its winning formula for the playoffs?
    Jude: For the most part, yes. The Let Russ Cook era, as brief as it was, was thrilling — there’s no denying that. And I understand some of the consternation from a particular faction of the fan base that’s screaming for Carroll to again give Wilson more freedom. But Carroll does not view offensive football in a vacuum; he does not see defensive football in a vacuum, either. When he talks about “balance” and a “complementary” style, he is talking about his offense and his defense helping each other out. We saw a prime example of that not happening in the Buffalo game, when Seattle’s four offensive turnovers put its defense in peril. Carroll is not going back to that. The Seahawks’ September offensive surge was, in hindsight, a mirage. There was nothing normal about the buildup to the 2020 season for anyone — limited practices, no preseason, new testing routines, etc., and offenses around the league had the upper hand early. Seattle’s offensive success in the first half of the season created unrealistic expectations. Defenses have adjusted; they’re making it harder for the Seahawks to execute those big plays downfield — the loss to the Giants being a prime example of that. Wilson tried three deep passes Sunday; the throws for Metcalf and Tyler Lockett fell incomplete. The 45-yard pass to David Moore was the play of the game on offense. You can call Carroll’s approach conservative, but you have to also acknowledge it’s a proven approach in the playoffs — and one the Seahawks used to win a playoff-type game Sunday.

    Condotta: Yes. True, it took a little while for Seattle’s offense to find its footing Sunday. But as Carroll noted later, a big factor was the Seahawks not turning the ball over — one of just five times this year Seattle has done that. All have been wins. And I think some of the “slow start” was in part not wanting to make a game-turning mistake. As long as Seattle was within one possession of tying or taking the lead, the Seahawks were going to preach not screwing things up on offense, especially early. You saw Wilson get more aggressive in the second half and that was by design. True, Seattle averaged just 4.8 yards per play, lowest of the season other than the loss against the Giants. But that rose to 6.3 in the second half when Seattle had five of its seven longest gains, with Wilson completing 10 of 13 passes for 141 yards against statistically the NFL’s best pass defense. In Carroll’s perfect world Seattle might rush for more than 95 yards. But Seattle had 4.0 per attempt, and Chris Carson had 21 yards on three attempts on the final touchdown drive that moved the ball and kept the clock running (or forced L.A. to use its timeouts). It felt like the running game was just enough to make a difference, which is what Seattle will need in the postseason."


    You will not see many if any 300+ 4td games. You will see more of the 200 yards 2-3 tds high complt % games. Which is what we got this last game, adn what PC wants

    So the if that is not elite to you then take it up with PC. And FYi going by PCs definition Wilson was elite this last game.


    These comments ring true. When we lost our running game, teams could pin their ears back and come after Russ. Add in a injuries to the O lIne. He didn't handle that well and threw a bushel of interceptions. After that stretch of games, his play appeared tentative after that. I don't think he was playing scared, he was playing careful. He, and I'm sure Pete gave him an earful on this, realized that an interception hurts them team more than a sac, and Russell is a consummate team player. I think he 's growing and will be a better QB for it.

    Things have turned now that Hyde, Carson and Penny are back. We have a solid running game. That will slow down the rush and give Russ more opportunities. We won't see the crazy 5 td games, but we also won't see the infuriating 3 int games either. But we will see more throws like the one to Moore.
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2447
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:29 am


Re: Russ struggling?
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:55 pm
  • We have to realistically assess the quality of opponents D's. The rams have a highly ranked D and RW was in control against them. The WFT also has a high quality D yet they couldn't get to him. We are facing the Digits this weekend and I'd expect RW will be strong against them.

    The team at present does not need RW to do it all, all the time. The balanced attack where play action must be respected increases Rw's ability to 'cook'.

    I don't think he's struggling at all but learned some things with the losses against NYG and Buffalo. I think we are not being shown all he can do for last while and the change has allowed the D to get it together. If and when he has to cook, he will.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7556
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: Russ struggling?
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:02 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:Russ has been off, he's not seeing receivers that he normally sees, and his accuracy can be shaky at times. His decision making has also been perplexing. I think he's in his own head at the moment. Since the Buffalo game he's been off, he hasn't been as sharp as he normally has been -- even in the game manager sort of role.



    Game

    Rams 62.5 CMP% 93.9 QBR 1 TD

    Not the Skins 66.7 CMP% 73.2 QBR 1 TD

    Jets 77.8 CMP% 122.6 QBR 4 TD's

    Giants 62.8 CMP% 78.0 QBR 1 TD

    Eagles 71.0 CMP% 102.9 QBR 1 TD

    Cardinals 82.1 CMP% 119.8 QBR 2 TD's


    Out of these six games, only the Giants game would I say Russell struggled or "been off."

    Efficient, accurate, timely plays when it matters. That's his game...............and after 10 years anyone thinking he should be more week in and week out? That's on you, because that's not who he is as a QB.

    At times like we saw early in the year? Sure, but that's not ever been his game. What we've seen in the last 5-6 weeks is.

    That's exactly right and why the LRC stuff made me cringe all off season. It was a disaster waiting to happen and it even sounds like Russ bought into to it to some degree which was concerning to me. Even those other QBs that everything thinks of don't do those things as often as fans think they do. They see highlights and think every game those other QB's have comes with a stat line like Russ's first 3-4 games. It just doesn't happen for a majority of games over a season for any QB really. Some are setup to do it more often like Mahomes with all of those weapons and even they have mediocre to crap games along the way.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 564
    Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm


Previous


It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online