Is Russell truly a HOF QB as of right now?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
If he never played another down, does he have the resume or is everyone referring to his trajectory? Honest question as I don't pay any attention to career numbers or even season numbers for that matter.

Beren

Reaction score
Without question.

Outside of the Seahawks echo chamber, he gets the respect he deserves.

Tokadub

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":351ce8eq said:
If he never played another down, does he have the resume or is everyone referring to his trajectory? Honest question as I don't pay any attention to career numbers or even season numbers for that matter.

If he never has 1 winning season again he might somehow miss it.

If that happens his career stats will be way worst than they are now.

A good example would be Jon Olerud

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/olerujo01.shtml

He Led the entire league in 1993 in Batting Average (.363)...

If he did that THIS SEASON he would lead the league by about .040 points... that's a LOT!

My point is that a lot of great players get passed by in sports history if they fall a little short. If you compare the stats of Jon Olerud vs Edgar Martinez they are pretty similar... But Edgar BARELY made the hall of fame... Olerud didn't...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/olerujo01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martied01.shtml

Their batting average is .014 different (That is 1 out of 71 batting attempts Edgar hit and Olerud didn't?)

I donno... if you look at the stats they are very similar Edgar is obviously better but he BARELY made the hall of fame...

It might be something as small as stolen bases that got Egdar in and Olerud out... (you've got to consider Edgar was mostly a designated hitter)... but he still had more stolen bases...

That's the kind of margin we are talking about in the MLB...

Olerud's best season had a better batting average than Edgar ever had... but he needed to do MORE (best in the league was not enough)!... Wilson is approaching that kind of territory, if he sucks really bad like he does this season he might miss it like Olerud :pukeface:

I'm not sure if the NFL is that competitive to make the hall of fame like MLB but... if it is... Wilson cannot play like trash the rest of his career. He might not make it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Before the season began, I felt that Russell's resume was borderline. The standards for QB's entrance into the Hall seem to be increasing. I don't think you're going to see anymore Kenny Stablers getting a gold jacket. IMO Russell needs either a league MVP or Super Bowl MVP, or at least another Lombardi, to be assured of an induction.

Right now, Russell looks a lot like Eli Manning, who has two SB MVP's and 4 Pro Bowl appearances but ended his career on a real downer as his last 3 teams finished 3-13, 5-11, and 4-12. Compare that to Russell's current resume of no MVP's, one Lombardi, but he has 8 Pro Bowl appearances. Does having twice the Pro Bowl appearances trump two SB MVP's? IMO for a quarterback, it's basically a push.

More than any other position, greatness for quarterbacks is measured by team success, and the ultimate team success is the Lombardi.

toffee

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":33f6zdje said:

IF he never played another down, Russ is a first ballot HOF. If he play another 5 years at or similar to this season's level, he could play himself out of HOF.

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":1vh1amy1 said:
Before the season began, I felt that Russell's resume was borderline. The standards for QB's entrance into the Hall seem to be increasing. I don't think you're going to see anymore Kenny Stablers getting a gold jacket. IMO Russell needs either a league MVP or Super Bowl MVP, or at least another Lombardi, to be assured of an induction.

Right now, Russell looks a lot like Eli Manning, who has two SB MVP's and 4 Pro Bowl appearances but ended his career on a real downer as his last 3 teams finished 3-13, 5-11, and 4-12. Compare that to Russell's current resume of no MVP's, one Lombardi, but he has 8 Pro Bowl appearances. Does having twice the Pro Bowl appearances trump two SB MVP's? IMO for a quarterback, it's basically a push.

More than any other position, greatness for quarterbacks is measured by team success, and the ultimate team success is the Lombardi.

The difference to me is Wilson also changed the way the QB position is looked at. were as once an under 6 ft Qb was a huge no-no. now people almost embrace it. That said anyone who thinks Wilson is finished is really kidding themselves.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Look no further than all his stats, records and accolades. The man is Canton bound without playing another down.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":3a5quu2g said:

John63":3a5quu2g said:
The difference to me is Wilson also changed the way the QB position is looked at. were as once an under 6 ft Qb was a huge no-no. now people almost embrace it. That said anyone who thinks Wilson is finished is really kidding themselves.

That's a good point, something I hadn't thought about. Nevertheless, I don't think he's a slam dunk first ballot HOF'er, at least not at this point of his career. He's not going to be able to implode and end his career as a backup.

I agree that he's not finished, but his story on this team may be coming to an end.

sdog1981

Reaction score
RiverDog":2c485v06 said:

Eli is a unique case. Comes from a popular football family and he won in New York. The hall of fame is voted on by pro-football writers and they tend to support players that win from major media markets.

xray

Reaction score
Right now ? LOL...he will get in eventually but not 1st ballot . Without an MVP or a 1st team all-pro it will be hard to be 1st ballot HOF . We know that those won't happen this year .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Russell's borderline right now.

Russell's top 20-30 in every major statistical category, so IMO he'd have to get into the top 10-15 to be a slam dunk.

So now? Borderline.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3n5mk9pq said:
ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY!!, and only a damned fool would argue that he isn't. :snack:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ps4uxa8 said:
I think Russell's borderline right now.

Russell's top 20-30 in every major statistical category, so IMO he'd have to get into the top 10-15 to be a slam dunk.

So now? Borderline.

I agree.

IMO the Hall has been way too liberal in who they've been giving gold jackets to, with Drew Pearson and Tom Flores being the two most recent examples.

rcaido

Reaction score
WTF is wrong with you people.

He has beaten pretty much every qb record for his 9years. Got a ring. No question he is HOF QB/

RiverDog

Reaction score
rcaido":3rcx30pv said:
WTF is wrong with you people.

He has beaten pretty much every qb record for his 9years. Got a ring. No question he is HOF QB/

What's wrong is a poster exclaiming "WTF is wrong with you people" for expressing their opinions as if he is blessed with some sort of superior knowledge on an issue that is entirely subjective and open to interpretation.

toffee

Reaction score
Ok, I am a Russel Wilson Homer. I have no doubt in my mind that Russ is a first ballot HOF if his career ends today. If his career continues for a few more years, or a decade as Russ predicted. Would he still be a HOF is hard to tell.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":c2pjj2kl said:
Ok, I am a Russel Wilson Homer. I have no doubt in my mind that Russ is a first ballot HOF if his career ends today. If his career continues for a few more years, or a decade as Russ predicted. Would he still be a HOF is hard to tell.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Depends on his trajectory, also depends on guys like Mahomes, Tannehill, and others where their career goes, problem is with rules gawdy numbers are easier to get, be in the right system and get say 2 trophies and a MVP that can push Wilson way down, remember he has 1 MVP vote total ever.

Today yes possibly, 5 or 10 years, this is a popularity contest many times and accomplishments, Trophies MVP Consistency and headlines. The media has a hard time remembering 10 years ago, and he would have to wait a total of 15 years or so if he played another 10.

justafan

Reaction score
Without a doubt. Passing yards is a poor way to separate QBs especially after 7 years . Add in completion %, ints, TD % , availability year in year out and career wins with 2 SB appearances 1 trophy. He is a shoo in.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Also, Aikman is in. Russ is guranteed. It's not just superbowl wins, because then that is saying Emmitt Smith, micheal Irvin, offensive line and hella good defensive players did nothing. That is why the qb wins crap is overrated. Team game guys not and individual player stat.

Plus just compare russ to Aikman. Most awards are a popularity contest.