2014 Summer Transfer Window

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ndn95kx said:
Uncle Si":1ndn95kx said:
4-0 over Dortmund today. Great performance.

I'll take City just to be different Gate but I imagine Arsenal is revved up for this one

Coutinho.....my body is not ready....

He's going to be our star man this year, no doubt. Supposedly the Moreno deal is waiting until after the Super Cup on Tuesday, then he's ours. After that, 2 strikers or a striker plus a winger and we'll be set.

On the charity shield, Arsenal just look like they want it more, as evidenced by the scoreline. Fair play though, it's nice to start the season with a trophy get. They do pretty much look like the same team as last year though (Arsenal do).

I was in the car so had to keep it short... But this was reminiscent of our finest home blitzes from last season. Coutinho was incredible, Sterling dashing and Sturbridge at his best. Henderson chipped in his usual rampant energy while Lovren stabalized the back line (finally?) and chipped in with a goal.

Manquillo was very strong in his debut. With Moreno do Wednesday I'm excited for our new back line.

Dortmund wasn't all that interested to be fair but they're still a plenty solid side. Great warm up.

Striker and a winger....

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2yi73zgz said:
Chambers over Lovren? Nah, Gate...

Didn't see the match but I imagine your summary is spot on. One came to play one didn't...

Here's the reason I said that. Yet again he was played in the middle since Mertesacker is due to return tomorrow. Throughout the match he was incredibly intelligent in his decision making and positioning. He showed a great deal of maturity especially for a 19 year old. The fact that this was a big game for Arsenal and he was making his official club debut in a position he's not fully used to playing in makes this all the more impressive. He played with the poise and maturity of a 27 year old veteran in the game and showed what he is capable of. Lovren is probably gonna be the best buy out of the Southampton sales in the immediate future, but Chambers has shown in the preseason and in the Community Shield, that he has an astonishing amount of potential and he could prove to be a massive signing in the future.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Everything I've read suggested he was spot on today. Something to be excited about I'm sure.

Equally excited about Lovren considering how dire our back line was last season.

Either way Southampton has been gutted. Poor Clyne is just sitting and waiting

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal normally put 3 names up on separate Twitter posts asking fans who they think were the man of the match by retweeting the players name. Two of the 3 goalscorers were there, Cazorla and Ramsey, and Chambers was the 3rd option. At this point in time, Cazorla and Ramsey have a combined 4.8k retweets, Chambers has 6.4k. So I'm not the only one, a lot of people were impressed by Calum today.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":16bg66m9 said:
£12m For Moreno, and United paid £30m for Shaw who is on 100K a week. LOOOOOOOOL

all that money left for a winger and a striker....

seriously very good deal though for us. very good young player to add.

Wing back depth is something else... someone has to go: Flanno (think he stays), Enrique (think he goes), Johnson (think he may go), Kelly (gone to Crystal Palace), Wisdom (on loan), and two very good players coming up through the academy.

Smurf

Reaction score
Di Maria getting closer to United switch.

Yedlin to spurs should be official today or tomorrow.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":29ghmx4a said:
Di Maria getting closer to United switch.

sure he is...

Mauro Icardi next up for Liverpool. Decent striker for Inter (a bad Inter side). There's the whole Maxi Lopez thing, which is just strange. only played in 22 games last year as well

dont suppose Nog has any insights on him?

Nog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ikdxi2c said:
sure he is...

Mauro Icardi next up for Liverpool. Decent striker for Inter (a bad Inter side). There's the whole Maxi Lopez thing, which is just strange. only played in 22 games last year as well

dont suppose Nog has any insights on him?
I don't closely watch italian championship to tell you any insights about Icardi (I sometimes watch some Roma games though with my italian friend). But since I love River Plate (not as much as Marseille) I can tell you more about Maxi... Another talented player that never apply himself enough to become great ;)

Nog

Reaction score
Smurf":emo1qhmk said:
Di Maria handed in a transfer request today....
He is "fuoriclasse"... Man U is taking a option for the title if they make this happen.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3jo11624 said:
Smurf":3jo11624 said:

No he didn't
Clearly you read different things than I do....either way, kind of upset with how I'm being treated in the thread as of late. Undeserved imo.

Nog

Reaction score
I've read (but since French reports are extremely bias that's not really relevant :lol: ) that Di Maria wanted to play for Doha Saint Germain and only for Doha Saint Germain.

But I guess Man U has enough financial power to recruit Di Maria no????

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1mbjt2ev said:
Uncle Si":1mbjt2ev said:
Smurf":1mbjt2ev said:

No he didn't
Clearly you read different things than I do....either way, kind of upset with how I'm being treated in the thread as of late. Undeserved imo.

How are you being treated poorly? You post dodgy United rumours and I respond with "nah". Don't you think you're being a little sensitive? If I came off serious on it my mistake.

Nog

Reaction score
Di Maria will have the same impact as CR7 had for them. You'll see! Anyway, this is for Arsenal fans... Next time, you guys should display this one:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
My thoughts on players like Vidal and Di Maria going (or not going) to United is less based on what United offer and more about what their parent clubs offer.

Di Maria is the significant case in point. I feel the links to United are out there as a way of forcing the hands of both parties. Madrid obviously want to keep him. They just want his wages lower. I doubt Di Maria wants to trade in Real for United, but he also doesnt want a hefty pay cut. I think United is the one getting used here until they come to an agreement.

I could be wrong. i was certainly wrong about Sanchez and I truly know f--- all about transfer business outside what I read (on sites that are obviously different than our Smurfy boy) and feel like guessing about. I guess thats the truth for us all though Smurf, thus please dont take me seriously

Smurf

Reaction score
Vidal being a sketch rumor I'll give you...but Di Maria is all over the frickin place. Even cynical journo's in the states are up on it, the ones that don't say anything until there is concrete evidence (Wahl, Martino).

Perhaps I was being over sensitive, Maybe, its possible...admittedly I am an emotional dude. It happens. Just seems like I've been getting the Gate treatment for a while now, and it kinda got on my nerves...

I understand Y'all hate United...but you put on these blinders of hate and rage that you can't even evaluate the team on the same level of clarity you do when you go at Gate.

Yeah, Di Maria and Vidal probably want Champions League football...and a United switch won't let them have it this season...but United are in the mix for a top 4 spot...Not saying they are going to win the league, but they are definitely in the mix just as much as Liverpool are at this point. Honestly if you rate the squads that Liverpool and United have currently, they are along the same lines. Good, verging on really good, with 2-3 players away from being Excellent.

Neither are in position to be world Elite at the moment. No one can touch what Madrid and Bayern have. Barca is starting to hit the decline too. Man City has all the pieces to be up there, but just can't get there for whatever reason.

United making the top 4 this season and offering CL football next year to their new signee's is not a stretch....at all. Its incredibly possible....

For all the talk of Sterling adding something to your club in a massive way, you ignore the contributions of Januzaj for United. Both are extremely important youngsters for their respective clubs, who will have an impact on where they finish this season.

I guess it just pisses me off that for all the hate you send towards Gate and Arsenal you at least acknowledge the good parts about the club...and for Me and United all I get is a: No.

It's insulting. Reading 7 pages of Liverpool talk, 1 page of Arsenal (and how much they suck), 4 posts about spurs, 9 about anything french, and 5 words on United.

/Rant

Smurf

Reaction score
On Januzaj, I disagree. He had the two brilliant performances for sure, but he had plenty of other games where he played well. He's got the goods I think.

The problem with Rooney was, and forever will be that he's played out of position. He needs to be up at the top with a partner. I don't care who it is. It could be RVP, it could be Chicarito, it could be Welbeck, it could be James. Doesn't matter. He needs to play up top. Not the wing. Not at CAM. He needs to play up top, and not be forced to another area of the pitch. If he drifts out wide on his own from time to time, that works, if he drops into the midfield to help with possession thats good too.

I'm not worried about RVP...he's always been a BOOM or bust player. He either scores a million goals, or has a crap season. Been that way since...well forever...and part of that is the fact he's made of the cheapest Dutch Porcelain there is. He'll score some goals this season, but I don't think United's success is tied directly to RVP.

Fellaini is working his way back into the graces of LVG, had a game winner the other night. He may still be sold, wouldn't be shocked. But for what he is, he's good at it....its just that He's not much.

Herrera will need a little time to get used to the Premiership.

Saying Carrick and Fletcher suck is blatantly ignoring their performance history. Are they the best CM's in the EPL? No, but they can get the job done, and have proved it.

Mata isn't a player I fancy to be honest. Never really liked him. Even before he went to Chelsea...Just not a fan...when Moyes bought him I did the biggest face palm I've ever done.

Smalling is Decent.

Evans is a cluster.

Jones has a bright future I think.

Rafael is on the outside looking in at United. Wouldn't be shocked if he was sold. I think his United days are numbered. I still rate the player though.

Smurf

Reaction score
I guess I don't see the difference peaches.

I can run down the Liverpool roster and reach the same conclusion about them as you have for United.

The separation between Liverpool and United in the post Suarez era is going to be smaller than you are making it.

Latest posts