2015 - 2016 Zags Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really hope the Zags don't get placed in Spokane. That just isn't fair. As a committee, you can't reward teams with poor seeds. You just can't.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1v7tzt4s said:
I really hope the Zags don't get placed in Spokane. That just isn't fair. As a committee, you can't reward teams with poor seeds. You just can't.
Won't happen, and as you said it shouldn't. The Ducks will likely be there though.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Seton Hall will beat the Zags I'm pretty sure of that. Honestly don't care though. I'm impressed with the job Few has done this year regardless of what happens.
Curious to see if Karnowski comes back and if Sabonis will declare.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1hmgw40w said:
Seton Hall will beat the Zags I'm pretty sure of that. Honestly don't care though. I'm impressed with the job Few has done this year regardless of what happens.
Curious to see if Karnowski comes back and if Sabonis will declare.
How good are Seton Hall's guards? That will determine who wins IMO as that's the Zags' weakness.

No idea about Karnowski though the rumors I've heard is that he'll go pro in Europe (too slow for NBA). As for Sabonis. I have heard nothing but I can tell you if I were him, I'd declare the second my season was over. I've watched one officiating crew after another call one or two ticky tack, bullshit fouls on him game after game after game this year. Don't know if he said something to a ref one time and he now has a bad rep or what, but he's been singled out and it's as obvious as Michael Bennett getting held endlessly and OTs never getting called for it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seton Hall will beat them IMO. I've watched a ton of their games this year, and they are arguably the hottest team in college hoops right now. They just won their conference tournament by beating two top 10 teams in Xavier and Villanova. Isaiah Whitehead is an absolute stud, he might be the best player in the Big East. And they have a bunch of other really good pieces. Wiltjer will get exposed on defense, Seton Hall is REALLY atheltic and can get up and down the court.

My post is nothing against the Zags. I actually thought Seton Hall would make a run in this tournament before the bracket was even released. Just a tough draw for the Zags.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":17liadkr said:
Seton Hall will beat them IMO. I've watched a ton of their games this year, and they are arguably the hottest team in college hoops right now. They just won their conference tournament by beating two top 10 teams in Xavier and Villanova. Isaiah Whitehead is an absolute stud, he might be the best player in the Big East. And they have a bunch of other really good pieces. Wiltjer will get exposed on defense, Seton Hall is REALLY atheltic and can get up and down the court.

My post is nothing against the Zags. I actually thought Seton Hall would make a run in this tournament before the bracket was even released. Just a tough draw for the Zags.
I agree, tough draw for us. Like you said Wiltjer will struggle mightily to guard as always but especially this game. As Barkley would say he is turrible at defense. Slowest feet I have ever seen.
They might think about moving him to center for this game though as Seton Hall isn't exactly big.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1b9g6zyq said:

Thanks for the scouting report on SH. Discouraging as a Zags fan to be sure, but just getting into the tourney this year was looking like a longshot just a month ago so.........

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Teams have definitely attacked Wiltjer on defense. It's a shame because he has a shot at the NBA if he could be something other than a complete zero on the defensive side.

Definitely a tough first round matchup, but also just a tough year all around. They're playing with 6 guys right now. Next year they have more help coming and the team should be better. I think Sabonis comes back unless he's projected into the lottery. Right now he's ranked somewhere low first round. Karnowski may also come back so along with Zach Collins the front line might actually be better than this year.

If the young guards continue to improve Zags should get back to being a 4 - 6 seed next year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2q71scd9 said:
Teams have definitely attacked Wiltjer on defense. It's a shame because he has a shot at the NBA if he could be something other than a complete zero on the defensive side.

Definitely a tough first round matchup, but also just a tough year all around. They're playing with 6 guys right now. Next year they have more help coming and the team should be better. I think Sabonis comes back unless he's projected into the lottery. Right now he's ranked somewhere low first round. Karnowski may also come back so along with Zach Collins the front line might actually be better than this year.

If the young guards continue to improve Zags should get back to being a 4 - 6 seed next year.
I saw Sabonis projected as the 13th pick in the mock I saw. Sure hope you're right about he and Karnowski coming back. If they both do, I agree with you on next year's seed.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think Sabonis benefits from another year in college. He's been dominant at times, but usually against lower compeition. Teams that game-planned for him have had success denying him the ball inside. He needs to get a little stronger.

He's talented and I think he'll be a solid pro. He's already an NBA-ready rebounder IMO.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think Sabonis is gone because most of the mocks have him as a consensus lottery pick. Very rarely do you see players pass that up, that is guaranteed money. Not to mention this is considered a weak draft, so by opting to play another year he could slip in next year's draft due to a spike in talent.

The one thing that would give me hope about him returning is that I heard one of the announcers say that he loves being in college. And another is that he likely does not need money right now. Whereas a kid like DeJounte Murray who grew up in a rough neighborhood outside of Seattle and doesn't have a lot of money, we all know the Sabonis family is very well off.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":5gsjvned said:

Seton Hall is really tough no doubt, but the Zags strengths in the frontcourt give SH a lot of problems. It will be a pretty good game as both teams are stacked in the area where the other is weak.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'll say it again, if the success Gonzaga has enjoyed and worked for over the last 20+ years was instead the other Jesuit school in the state, Seattle U., all you wet siders would be all over how awesome they are. But since a Spokane school you won't give 'em squat for credit. How provincial.[/quote]
That's laughable. I lived on the east side for several years, and any disrespect towards their program is a direct result of the way they and their fans carry themselves. I would not feel any differently if it was Seattle U that was playing a JV schedule to get themselves into the tournament every year only to annually disappoint. I'd be asking the same question: when are you going to play in a big-boy conference? They get up for three games a year, play well in those games, and then crap on themselves in the tournament. Rinse, repeat. I'd love to see what happens when they have to bring it twice a week in-conference. It'll never happen. They love the proud feeling beating up on nobodies to win 25 a year too much.[/quote]
2 Elite Eights and (off the top of my head) 3 or 4 Sweet 16s in a 20 year period isn't crappimg the bed.

As for their conference, where are they supposed to play since they don't have football?[/quote]
Thought it would be cool to point out that Seattle U played in the final 4 with Elgin Baylor..I root for the Zags every year or any Washington team that gets in but it's funny none have gotten further than Seattle U.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Vegas likes the Bulldogs, Zags are favored by 1.5 over Seton Hall.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1q9p51tu said:
1958 I believe Indy.
Yes it was and Seattle played Kentucky for the title.The funny thing is the game was played in Louisville,Kentucky.Talk about home court just about.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Good game so far. I always love watching two contrasting style teams play each other. Zags need to keep it in the half court if they want to win.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised we won so handily didn't see that coming. Ugly game over all but the Zag defense has been good all year. I don't see us winning against Utah either but who knows.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the Zags win too, but of course very happy. Didn't get to watch as I was working. :(

Good call on the defensive play Nate. They held Whitehead to 4-24 shooting. Wow.

As for Utah, I don't know if they'll win but I think they'll be in it til the end. GO ZAGS!!