2nd Round pick potentially taken away from Hawks...

Boycie

Reaction score
2nd rounder???

What did the Pats get for outright being caught spying?

I do agree with what another poster said though in that the way Sherm went about bashing the league, that the Hawks get dinged for this. The NFL has been waiting to unload, and now is their chance.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":229cfqdh said:
If I were Pete, I would say what others have said here and tell the NFL that I would have listed Sherm as "probable each week. But since the league no longer requires coaches to submit "probable" reports anymore, it would be a moot point. This way you would admit to a minor injury, but coupled with the fact that he played every game, there was nothing to be worried about.

It was obviously a minor injury if he didn't miss practice or any play time. Problem is, Pete attempting to cover for Sherms behaviour, said right in his press conference it was "a serious injury".

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A few quick thoughts on this:

1) Those tweets are vague. Maybe 2nd rounder is the highest possible penalty but there might be an investigation and no penalty at all. I wouldn't jump to conclusions until we know.

2) As noted above, it is worth reiterating that if Sherman played in games or not is entirely beside the point when it comes to this potentially being a violation. The NFL is seemingly now investigating if the Seahawks medical reports and practice tapes match what they are contractually mandated to release to media about their practices.

3) I think we can be sure that the Seahawks two (announced and disciplined) recent practice violations will factor into the amount of punishment, if there is cause for punishment. If there is any consistency in punishment from the NFL, it is that the penalty for repeat offenses go up exponentially. As fans, we don't know about offenses that don't get penalized (like with the drug policy: you get to fail without getting punished and they only start punishing on repeats), but we do know that if there's fire here this would be the third time the Seahawks have violated league and NFLPA contractual rules regarding practices. So, you can't compare their (possible penalty) to other teams' penalties or non-penalties for a similar occurence unless those teams are ALSO repeat offenders (e.g. IIRC the Seahawks first practice violation was just monetary and lost practice time, and it wasn't until the second one from last year that a pick was taken).

Ozzy

Reaction score
2nd rounder seems extremely steep and I seriously hope that's not the case.

I love Pete as much as anyone but what a dumb thing to do. Still shocked he did it. Like Hasselbeck I need this shacked lol.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1i61984s said:
Siouxhawk":1i61984s said:
If I were Pete, I would say what others have said here and tell the NFL that I would have listed Sherm as "probable each week. But since the league no longer requires coaches to submit "probable" reports anymore, it would be a moot point. This way you would admit to a minor injury, but coupled with the fact that he played every game, there was nothing to be worried about.

It was obviously a minor injury if he didn't miss practice or any play time. Problem is, Pete attempting to cover for Sherms behaviour, said right in his press conference it was "a serious injury".
But there's nothing on record of him knowing it was serious entering the game, is there? For all we and the league knew, Sherm had one of those nagging injuries and would sufficiently be graded "probable" heretofore. Perhaps he took a hit to it or planted in such a way Saturday that he further aggravated it so that it now would be considered "serious." How could the NFL disprove that?

Now I'm going off the assumption that everything with our organization is on the up and up. If it came back through released evidence by our trainers and team doctors that he had a tear of some sort in the MCL and our staff coerced him into playing or even if he chose to willingly play on his own and our staff knew about it, there should be more done than sanctions from the league. But c'mon, scenes like these only play out in Varsity Blues and North Dallas Forty.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
I keep seeing that no one is addressing the fact that maybe Pete shoulda kept chewing gum instead of saying anything?

Pape

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2z0tqba4 said:
2nd rounder???

What did the Pats get for outright being caught spying?

spygate: loss of 2008 1st round pick, BB fined $500k, Pats fined $250k

deflategate: loss of 2016 1st, loss of 2017 4th, Brady suspended 4 games, Patriots fined $1m, all over a farts worth of air in a football, as determined by a company who once published a scientific paper stating second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer...

ringless

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":17di9qfl said:
Seymour":17di9qfl said:
Siouxhawk":17di9qfl said:

But there's nothing on record of him knowing it was serious entering the game, is there? For all we and the league knew, Sherm had one of those nagging injuries and would sufficiently be graded "probable" heretofore. Perhaps he took a hit to it or planted in such a way Saturday that he further aggravated it so that it now would be considered "serious." How could the NFL disprove that?

Now I'm going off the assumption that everything with our organization is on the up and up. If it came back through released evidence by our trainers and team doctors that he had a tear of some sort in the MCL and our staff coerced him into playing or even if he chose to willingly play on his own and our staff knew about it, there should be more done than sanctions from the league. But c'mon, scenes like these only play out in Varsity Blues and North Dallas Forty.

There is something on record knowing it was serious and that is the fact that the Head Coach of the team said himself. It was a signifcant injury, one that lasted half a season, and one that caused a lot of stress for Sherman to get on the field. Those were all Pete's words.

You can then combine those words with the MRI which there likely is. As well as with any treatment Sherman received and then you have physical evidence and a very blatant admission of guilt.

I think it will be a fine, but the reason a 2nd is even being discussed if that's even true is because of multiple violations by the Seahawks in regards to OTA's

Seymour

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":1ekucw8f said:
I keep seeing that no one is addressing the fact that maybe Pete shoulda kept chewing gum instead of saying anything?

You don't see that because it is stating the obvious. It came up in an interview (then press conference) and questions about Sherms outbursts, and Pete was trying to make an excuse for Sherm IMO and exaggerated his condition. Where they draw the line between serious or minor and reporting is not totally clear to me. I've always thought you had to miss practice or at least be limited, but new info says that is not the case either.

tom95

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":2zbqu0ml said:

Exactly! This is on Pete. Whether we lose the pick or not is is a wait an see. For me the topic
is what was Pete thinking?

Boycie

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":l5ryw0f8 said:
Seymour":l5ryw0f8 said:
Siouxhawk":l5ryw0f8 said:

It all depends if he had an MRI done to diagnose it during the season. If he did, then I think they are screwed.

Seymour

Reaction score
The NFL injury report policy states that the “the (daily) Practice Report is expected to provide clubs and the public an accurate description of a player’s injury status and his level of participation during the practice week. All players who have significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the Practice Report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice, and even if the team is certain that he will play in the upcoming game. This is especially true of key players and those players whose injuries have been covered extensively by the media.’’

The policy further states that “when in doubt, it is best to include a player on the report’’ and that “should disputes arise with regard to compliance it will be incumbent upon the club’’ to show that it acted properly. Violations can result in a fine to the team and/or fines to individuals involved as well as possibly losing draft choices. Seattle already has been docked a fifth-round pick for the 2017 draft for violating rules regarding off-season workouts, a penalty announced in September.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-half-of-season-with-significant-knee-injury/

Sounds to me that Gawd has us by the short ones, and if he wants to squeeze history shows (ours) he just very well may.

Seymour

Reaction score
This is the comment that got the whole thing started. This was his final press conference.

“He dealt with a significant knee the whole second half of this season and it was a struggle to him to try to get out there. He had an MCL problem that he could play with, like Russell did. He had the same problem Russell did he made it through it, the same problem (receiver) Tyler (Lockett) had. You guys didn’t realize how hurt Tyler was early in the year they just made it through it. And it was remarkable what those guys did. But that weighs on you, particularly when you are out there on the edge and you know you are not quite 100 percent and it fed in to some of the stuff that he had to deal with.’’

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Pete has screwed up again. What an absolutely imbecilic decision to conceal the injury. It does NOT matter that Sherm played every snap-if he had been consistently listed with a knee issue, opposing teams likely would've thrown more his way to test him. Opposing teams have the right to gameplan for players who may be playing at a decreased performance level.

Please just stop excusing or mitigating Pete's actions.

And stop comparing what the league did to other organizations for unrelated infractions. Carroll got himself into this mess and has hurt the team again.

tom95

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":1ve6h0v0 said:

Exactly! This is on Pete. Whether we lose the pick or not is is a wait an see. For me the topic
is what was Pete thinking?

chris98251

Reaction score
Pats got hit hard because they lied and obstructed the investigations, Pete will say yes I did oops it was unintentional, if it were the Steelers and or Giants no fine a slap on the wrist, being the Seahawks I bet it's a 4th or a 5th rounder and a 500k fine.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Agreed that any anger over this to anyone other than Pete on this issue is misguided. The rule clearly states that the injury has to be disclosed even of no practise time is missed. In a league where circumstantial evidence of a deflated football can lead to a lost draft pick (I think) and a 4 game suspension, I can see this breaking of a rule with actual evidence being dealt with harshly.

Mistake or intentionally omitted the info, either way it looks bad.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Yes, but even though he said "significant," Pete's not a doctor. It will come down to an image on an MRI and interviews with our medical staff IMO before sanctions are imposed against us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1auj146l said:
Pats got hit hard because they lied and obstructed the investigations, Pete will say yes I did oops it was unintentional, if it were the Steelers and or Giants no fine a slap on the wrist, being the Seahawks I bet it's a 4th or a 5th rounder and a 500k fine.

But like the Pats, this is what our 4th offense?

That's what the league cares about, are you learning your lesson................and all cause Pete was trying to protect poor Richard's fragile ego.

He didn't have to say a damn thing, but he just couldn't allow a media member to ask a critical question of Sherman without coming up with some stupid excuse to protect him.

hawker84

Reaction score
So this is in addition to the 5th round pick we already lost for OTA violations. I heard somewhere they could bump that up to a 2nd round because of this now? Not sure if true, just what I heard.