3rd round, Pick #97, Rees Odhiambo, T/OG, Boise State

McGruff

Reaction score
I've always thought Reuters was a bit if an idiot, but suddenly I think he's brilliant.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I was hearing something somewhere, JS or Cable, saying they had their sports science group (?) grading him out as having great long term durability. Said something about the criteria they base it on but can't remember, flexibility and things of that nature I guess. fwiw

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":1i4kk0sy said:
I was hearing something somewhere, JS or Cable, saying they had their sports science group (?) grading him out as having great long term durability. Said something about the criteria they base it on but can't remember, flexibility and things of that nature I guess. fwiw
Here:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/122453/john-schneider-seahawks-draft-picks-rookie-free-agents/

• Schneider said third-round pick Rees Odhiambo will play left guard, which provides some clarification there as the team said he’ll move from tackle to guard but didn’t specify which side. Schneider said that according to Odhiamo’s agent, he broke down as soon as the Seahawks drafted him. As detailed in this story, Odhiambo has been through quite a bit both personally and as a football player. Schneider again referred to Odhiambo’s injuries in college as “bad luck”and said the team’s sports-science department projects him to be more durable in the NFL.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The tape against VA reminds me of Poole's tape from last year. I don't get the pick. Especially considering some of the alternatives at the same position group still on the draft board. Here's to hoping, but if that game's tape is representative, Kearly is spot on. Dude doesn't look too powerful or quick. Surrenders a lot of ground, a lot of the time. He's probably above average when he gets his hands on a guy, he's good at pivoting a defender. But that's about the only thing that stands out in a positive way.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2qqqfxrq said:
Shane Falco":2qqqfxrq said:
Here:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/122453/john-schneider-seahawks-draft-picks-rookie-free-agents/

• Schneider said third-round pick Rees Odhiambo will play left guard, which provides some clarification there as the team said he’ll move from tackle to guard but didn’t specify which side. Schneider said that according to Odhiamo’s agent, he broke down as soon as the Seahawks drafted him. As detailed in this story, Odhiambo has been through quite a bit both personally and as a football player. Schneider again referred to Odhiambo’s injuries in college as “bad luck”and said the team’s sports-science department projects him to be more durable in the NFL.

yeah, thanks, that's it. Although what I heard had a little more detail in it. I didn't even know that they had a sports-science department. They probably even know how regular these guys are before they invest in them.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
If the stories are true about how some teams ranked this guy minus the injury concerns, he is easily the highest ranked guard this crew has ever selected. Have we actually had a college guard stick yet? They sure seem to prefer offensive and defensive tackles to play guard here. It'd be odd to have Glowinski and Odhiambo starting at both guard spots, wouldn't it?

McGruff

Reaction score
Shane Falco":2fv1epfn said:
If the stories are true about how some teams ranked this guy minus the injury concerns, he is easily the highest ranked guard this crew has ever selected. Have we actually had a college guard stick yet? They sure seem to prefer offensive and defensive tackles to play guard here. It'd be odd to have Glowinski and Odhiambo starting at both guard spots, wouldn't it?

Well, Odhiambo was a left tackle in college.

Moffitt was a college guard.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":1z83xvvc said:
If the stories are true about how some teams ranked this guy minus the injury concerns, he is easily the highest ranked guard this crew has ever selected.

Can you provide a link or reference to where you heard/saw that?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
McGruff":sgro8z6v said:
Shane Falco":sgro8z6v said:

Well, Odhiambo was a left tackle in college.

Moffitt was a college guard.

Didn't even know that. Yeah, I was thinking he would have been ranked higher than Moffitt if the quote that I kept seeing that said some teams had him grading out as a 2nd rounder or top 50 pick or whatever it was. I guess they do like their guards to be former tackles. And it looks like they're already trying to push out Glowinski. :lol:

Shane Falco

Reaction score
ivotuk":2pp7687b said:
Shane Falco":2pp7687b said:
If the stories are true about how some teams ranked this guy minus the injury concerns, he is easily the highest ranked guard this crew has ever selected.

Can you provide a link or reference to where you heard/saw that?

I guess that was coming from Tony Pauline.

"Odhiambo has been stamped with a second-round grade by a number of teams based off his game film," Pauline wrote. "Several scouts believe the 6-4 lineman can turn into an All-Pro at guard, assuming he stays healthy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133708/rees-odhiambo

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/728254003134365696[/tweet]

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":2rwc1l6j said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/728254003134365696[/tweet]

Before Ifedi was accounced as strating at guard, I gave Rees a pretty good chance of winning LG outright, but with Glowinski getting a shot there too, I think that changes things a lot. I think Glowinski is the better player of the two, at least at the moment.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":m3bxx8fp said:
7'9" Broad Jump. 27" Vert. 23 bench press. Average Arm length. Played LT but has the frame of a guard.

Tape isn't pretty. Reminds me of John Moffitt minus Moffitt's good technique. Odhiambo struggles against the edge rush, has his arms collapse when run blocking, and is extremely bad at sticking to run blocks.

If this pick works out I'll be surprised.

The silver lining is, if he fails, Cable will be forced to go with Glowinski, who seems to be out-of-favor for some mind-blowing reason. :evil:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3dtrbon1 said:
kearly":3dtrbon1 said:
7'9" Broad Jump. 27" Vert. 23 bench press. Average Arm length. Played LT but has the frame of a guard.

Tape isn't pretty. Reminds me of John Moffitt minus Moffitt's good technique. Odhiambo struggles against the edge rush, has his arms collapse when run blocking, and is extremely bad at sticking to run blocks.

The silver lining is, if he fails, Cable will be forced to go with Glowinski, who seems to be out-of-favor for some mind-blowing reason. :evil:

How so?

Glo is pegged as the starter at LG. Hes more experienced than Ifedi at OG so it make since to move him to LG, while Ifedi gets to keep his dominant foot the same while transitioning to the NFL.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":15m606m8 said:
storm74":15m606m8 said:
Seahwkgal":15m606m8 said:
storm74":15m606m8 said:
damn I wanted Dahl.
Dahl just went to Detroit. :/

I think Dahl is a lot better lineman than this guy, I hope I am wrong and this guy turns out to be a stud.

Long term that may be true. But Dahl is coming out of that spread offense and has no experience power blocking. None.

Rees comes from a pro style system with a track record. He's ready to contribute right away where Dahl is more of a long term project.

I saw him in mostly in a 2-point stance with some 3-point mixed in, so I'd say he's still more comfortable in a spread offense, but you have a point...something is better than nothing.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":20qb8tnu said:
HawKnPeppa":20qb8tnu said:
kearly":20qb8tnu said:

How so?

Glo is pegged as the starter at LG. Hes more experienced than Ifedi at OG so it make since to move him to LG, while Ifedi gets to keep his dominant foot the same while transitioning to the NFL.

I'm hoping that's what we can infer. It still bothers me Ifedi and Odhiambo were seemingly getting first crack at the Guard spots until Britt was moved to Center. Seems like Glowinski is just part of the pile when he should have the inside track. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I probably am in the minority but he looks very good. He mirrors well, has good footwork, fires off the ball and neutralizes LB at the second level w tenacity . The strength is there and after he has a year of NFL strengthening under his belt, he should be a beast.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
pcbball12":25zu4bjl said:
Joyodongo":25zu4bjl said:
After watching the video of JS calling him before the pick I like him even less ... and they say he's smart ???!!!
The guy could barely speak because he was so emotional. It was obvious he was too choked up to even really speak. What are you talking about?
Yeah, I just watched the video and totally agree. You're overreacting Joy. He was shellshocked. He'll be fine. Just my opinion, but I'm predicting he'll be better than Sweezy. I was never a big Sweezy fan, but he is definitely a solid NFL guard. Apparently Tampa Bay agrees

Willyeye

Reaction score
I just have a bad feeling that being chosen on a reach like this makes it too mentally difficult for a player to succeed...too much to live up to. Judging from his reaction to JS' phone call, Rees was obviously not expecting to be called for at least another 3 rounds. A good example of feeling too much pressure because of being a reach pick is Britt. Picking Odhiambo in the 3rd round even though he would have most ikely been available in the 5th or 6th round is ridiculous...smells like the Britt pick too much.

McGovern was still available at #97, and he's about TWICE as strong as Odhiambo, and not injury-prone. McGovern will probably be a beast for the Broncos, and we get another Britt-Poole. Why do they seem inclined to make a reach pick every year now? I guess there's a little hope, but it sure doesn't look good.

Ideally, JS could have picked Vannett at #97 and traded down with the #94 pick and used a 4th round pick to get Odhiambo or McGovern, preferably McGovern. Reach picks mess up the entire draft for a team.

Latest posts