3rd round, Pick #97, Rees Odhiambo, T/OG, Boise State

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Very odd pick. Clearly someone Cable probably wanted pretty bad. This is where trading comp picks would be very useful, especially with a Connor Cook on the board.

Oh well. Hopefully he pans out.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The inevitable "who?" Seahawks pick. It'll be interesting to see where they expect him to compete. They obviously like the versatility but not particularly athletic and arm length is only 33.25." Three way competition at LG now?

They must have been worried about somebody taking Vannett with the earlier pick or they would have traded down and picked Vannett here.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like durability is the biggest issue here.

Erebus

Reaction score
I wanted Connor McGovern, but they've been killing it this draft so I'm staying optimistic about Odhiambo.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":34ssf7me said:
Really good pick for an interior lineman. He played LT in Boise but he'll move to guard, and some project him to center.
Will be interesting to listen to the presser. (No mention of possible try at Center, but we've read the same reports.)

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The Outfield":tw1k6zn5 said:
HawkFan72":tw1k6zn5 said:
CPHawk":tw1k6zn5 said:
Sounds like durability is the biggest issue here.

He'll fit right in on our O-line then.

Russell Okung replacement

Too soon, man. Too soon!

1298051684_model-catwalk-fail.gif

McGruff

Reaction score
They were rumored all along the process to be interested in him. It didn't make sense, because he doesn't fit the TEF/Sparq profile AT ALL. And the injury concerns are really.

But he's a flat out baller. He'll definitely be a guard for us, and he plays more athletic thann he times. He's kind of the opposite of Ifedi. If you hate Ifedi, you'll love Rees. He's a guy who knows how to use his body to get the most out of it. Knows how to use leverage, use his hips, keeps his core solid, and has great punch.

Most importantly, is an experienced starter in a pretty traditional pro offense. He is the guy who has shown that he can do what pro teams want guys to do.

Mick063

Reaction score
This pick confirms that Carroll isn't going quit his run first philosophy anytime soon.

Long arms are great if you are building a pass blocking wall, but it is nimble footwork that the zone blocking scheme demands. This guy can pull and move, as well as fist fight inside. I wouldn't be surprised if he sends Britt to the bench by opening day. Seattle already drafted their long armed pass blocker in the first round. Odhiambo was brought in to keep the ground game rolling.

kf3339

Reaction score
I won't question the pick, but to me McGovern would have been a better fit. The good thing is it's an O-Lineman who seems athletic.

If he can compete and take the LG spot in time then that's great. We shall see.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think McGovern is still in play as a possible future center competition for Sokoli.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
McGruff":23djtwli said:
They were rumored all along the process to be interested in him. It didn't make sense, because he doesn't fit the TEF/Sparq profile AT ALL. And the injury concerns are really.

But he's a flat out baller. He'll definitely be a guard for us, and he plays more athletic thann he times. He's kind of the opposite of Ifedi. If you hate Ifedi, you'll love Rees. He's a guy who knows how to use his body to get the most out of it. Knows how to use leverage, use his hips, keeps his core solid, and has great punch.

Most importantly, is an experienced starter in a pretty traditional pro offense. He is the guy who has shown that he can do what pro teams want guys to do.

Well this helps ease my pause about this pick. Hope he can beat out Britt.

chet380

Reaction score
Why?

Injury-prone, mediocre measurables -- what's on the plus side?

Would seem to be available in later rounds.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
One thing came to mind when I watched him and it was Pete Carroll saying he doesn't see guys that fire off the ball. The first few plays I saw of him were exactly that. This entire draft has been about Physicality. Ifedi, Reed, Odhiambo are all physical lineman. Vannett is probably the best blocking TE in the draft.

Seattle did not like being picked on last year and Pete and John (for better or worse) are building this entire draft to fix that.