49ers Approved writers list Kaepernick's offseason?

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":pur2xdza said:
Marvin49":pur2xdza said:
hawknation2015":pur2xdza said:
Marvin49":pur2xdza said:
I think we are seeing the exact same behavior though and just respond to it differently. To me, he's just a clueless hack striving to be important and as famous as his father, but the only thing he's good for is uninformed babble.

Once again, you are focusing too much on the character of the speaker without addressing the validity of his argument.

Attempting to radically alter a QB's throwing mechanics is almost always a controversial move. That is a perfectly reasonable argument to make. We will just have to wait and see how it pans out in this case, i.e. whether Kaepernick can stick with it to improve his accuracy or whether it will lead to even more overthinking on his part.

His greatest challenge, IMO, has always been the mental side, especially at the end of games, not his unorthodox throwing mechanics.

...and once again you are missing the fact that I'm not dismissing that he might be correct and stating that I don't value his opinion in the first place. If someone else were saying it, I'd lend it more credence.

If I tell you Wilson is too short to play QB and that the league has figured out how to rush him by slow rushing and getting their hands in the air, do you HAVE to lend my opinion any credence? Of course not. You don't value my opinion regardless of what it is.

Actually, you just confirmed exactly what I said.

If you made that claim, I would happily refute the substance of it by pointing out that Wilson is one of the league's most effective passers under pressure. He faced pressure a league-high 44.9% of the time last season, yet managed a 95 QB rating. While being short is a disadvantage, Wilson has managed to overcome it, becoming the league's premier passer on the run and giving himself a league-high 3.18 seconds per pass attempt. The league has "figured it out" en route to two consecutive NFC titles and Super Bowls, while Wilson has maintained the 2nd best career QB rating in NFL history.

We know you don't like the author; that doesn't mean you should refrain from discussing the substance of his arguments. Do you believe reforming Kaepernick's throwing mechanics was wise? Do you think it will prove to be successful? That's what the discussion is really about.

No, that's what your point was. I was making a different one.

Also...just want to point out that I don't actually believe what I said about Wilson as I was making a point. I think this is our issue here all along...You are trying to make a point about Kaps mechanics and I'm saying I don't trust the opinion of the writer. THAT was what my question was about, not the validity of his comments. I have a hard time when he is the only guy saying that Kap struggled and he has a vested interest in Kap struggling because he'd written a previous article stating that Kap was making a huge mistake choosing Warner over Garcia. Big Shock...Grant wants to be right. Its that kind of "look at me" and "I told ya so" reporting that is the precise reason I don't really lend any weight to anything he says.

You are arguing the validity of my statement but that's not what I'm asking you. What I'm saying is that there are some people who's opinion you lend credence to and other that you do not. Its not about negative or positive as there are guys (cough...Trent Dilfer...cough) who are over the top positive most of the time that I lend less credence to. Heck, Brian Baldinger said the Niners would will multiple Championships with Tomsula. Slow down there big fella...let see him win a game first. LOL.

Now, to answer your question directly, I would be lying if I said tweeking his mechanics didn't make me nervous. It does. You so seldom see it happen successfully. At the same time though, I give Kap credit for recognizing the weakness and working is a$$ off to resolve it. Grant says that he's still struggling with reads yet completely bypasses the fact that the 49ers are running a new offense...and this is OTAs. Everyone is still learning. New system and new receivers (Smith and Simpson and Boldin isn't at OTAs). It ain't gonna run smooth in early JUNE.

Could Warners time be wasted? Sure it can. It's a work in progress and its a difficult thing Kaps trying to do. Time will tell if it'll be successful, but I sure as hell ain't gonna take Grant Cohns word for it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":3amh5jst said:
Now, to answer your question directly, I would be lying if I said tweeking his mechanics didn't make me nervous. It does. You so seldom see it happen successfully.

After 5,000 words of deflection, good job finally conceding this. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":21wubb3q said:
Marvin49":21wubb3q said:
Now, to answer your question directly, I would be lying if I said tweeking his mechanics didn't make me nervous. It does. You so seldom see it happen successfully.

After 5,000 words of deflection, good job finally conceding this. :th2thumbs:

Sigh. Dude. I was never deflecting. I was simply making a different point.

The substance of the point you are trying to make is kinda obvious. I don't think any Niner fan (here anyway) is arguing that making a change to mechanics is easy or that its a slam dunk. I'd say the best way to describe many Niner fans is "wait and see". All I'm sayin is that I sure as hell ain't going to take Grant Cohns word for it.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":2todp089 said:
All I'm sayin is that I sure as hell ain't going to take Grant Cohns word for it.

There you go folks! ........ Marvin finds common ground.

Marvin and Grant Cohns are like peas in a pod.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":205ivn9e said:
Marvin49":205ivn9e said:
All I'm sayin is that I sure as hell ain't going to take Grant Cohns word for it.

There you go folks! ........ Marvin finds common ground.

Marvin and Grant Cohns are like peas in a pod.

um, huh?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW, just as a further point of clarification:

Yesterday Maiocco wrote that 1) it's incredibly hard for a QB to change his mechanics, and 2) in the one day of OTAs reporters had access to Kaepernick's accuracy was running hot and cold. He didn't explicitly link these two things (he took the more sober stance that you really can't glean that much info from 30 minutes of 7 on 7 in OTAs and you need to wait until TC and Pre-Season when the pads are on and there's a pass rush), but that was kind of the implication.

The claim against Marvin and I in this thread is that we should both be pissed at Maiocco for this, that he should fall off the "approved writer's list" because he's giving insight that we don't "want" to here.

That's absolutely ridiculous, though. When Maiocco says something I believe him, as I trust his reporting. He's good at his job.

The difference between Maiocco and Cohn isn't even a subtle one. They took the same observations, and one contextualized them (for both good and bad) while the other fabricated quotes to launch into histrionics in order to perch back on top of his molehill.

Maiocco and Cohn are in different businesses. It has NOTHING to do with being critical or uncritical, and instead has everything to do with --in your criticism or approval --being a hack or not.