49ers punish Ted Robinson for domestic-violence comments

Marvin49

Reaction score
lsheldon":19gpo8g5 said:
In other news, it turns out the 49ers hired Marvin to sit here all day and moderate what Seahawks fans say. That organization has an incredibly far reach.

Jeez...I wish that were true. Maybe my season tix would be cheaper.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":2q6zocev said:
Jville":2q6zocev said:
Marvin49":2q6zocev said:
Jville":2q6zocev said:
Some suggest freedom of speech down there has also been suspended and punished.

Freedom of Speech isn't freedom of consequences of speech. Freedom of speech applies to the governments ability to restrict speech, not what you say while acting as representative of a team on the teams flagship station.

People often confuse freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.
It seems plain to me that Paraag Marathe and the 49ers have acted to govern what Ted Robinson's can and can not say. That certainly restricts speech.

Wow.

You really missed the point.

Freedom of Speech is freedom to say what you want to say without being incarcerated by the government.

It is NOT the right to say whatever the hell you want to say and be completely free of the ramifications of what you say. If you are an employee of a company and you say something that reflects poorly on them they have the freedom to tell you to take a hike.

If you advocate for slavery, use the N word in every other sentence, and are a racist bigot in any comment you make, the government can't touch you. That doesn't mean that peeps cant take you off the radio and call you a bigot. That would be THEIR right of free speech to do so.

Again...people very often confuse freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.

:177692: No ....... You missed the point. 49er President Paraag Marathe has acted like the government ..... beyond reproach.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ol0ox6s0 said:
Not even sure he is wrong.

I worked in shelters.

There were people that enabled their abusers and made excuses for them. And that behavior makes it hard for people to help these people that are legit trapped. Because there are women that are abused, subjected to horrific behavior and trapped with no way out. But scarce resources get squandered on women that enable their own abuse.

That is just the fact.

There are plenty of excuses that can be made, trust, love, stupidity - but they still willingly stay in a dangerous situation and so reap the consequences of that choice.

We hold other people that have bad situations or cannot control themselves accountable when they are overpowered by their demons, but with this subject everyone freaks out about "Blaming the Victim". Drug Addiction literally overwhelms people's ability to make decisions and they cannot control themselves - we still make them responsible for their behavior and accountable for the consequences of their actions.

But everyone rushes to defend someone who walks back into DV, making excuses for why she was victimized when she keeps putting herself in dangerous situations. Not saying his wife falls in that category, but I do not believe that with that visible of a stage she would have no recourse to get help.

If you keep a dangerous animal, you get bitten or worse. And if you excuse an abuser, you will be abused again. When it happens again if you did nothing to extricate you? Part of the responsibility for that now falls on you - because you continued to allow yourself to be in a position to be victimized.

I saw plenty of women that stayed in abusive situations when there were exits, and because of that their kids were victims too. They shouldn't get a free pass for that.

Rice's wife protected him after the fact and STILL protects him. I would rather people focus on helping the thousands of women in every city who deserve and NEED help to stop abuse of them and/or their children, rather than someone like Rice's wife who apparently enables it.

Thanks for speaking your mind. It's a crying shame that to many in position of power act to suppress discussion of the subject.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":r0swi2ue said:
Who said anything about Rice? Ray McDonald was arrested a week and a half ago. There is no parallel.

Let me restate. This is playing out like the Rice thing. Nothing happened at first and then a video came out, and then another one. But that took months before either happened. This is following a similar path and it's about to get ugly for the Niners.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2pp14mcn said:
Marvin49":2pp14mcn said:
Jville":2pp14mcn said:
Marvin49":2pp14mcn said:
Freedom of Speech isn't freedom of consequences of speech. Freedom of speech applies to the governments ability to restrict speech, not what you say while acting as representative of a team on the teams flagship station.

It seems plain to me that Paraag Marathe and the 49ers have acted to govern what Ted Robinson's can and can not say. That certainly restricts speech.

Wow.

Freedom of Speech is freedom to say what you want to say without being incarcerated by the government.

It is NOT the right to say whatever the hell you want to say and be completely free of the ramifications of what you say. If you are an employee of a company and you say something that reflects poorly on them they have the freedom to tell you to take a hike.

If you advocate for slavery, use the N word in every other sentence, and are a racist bigot in any comment you make, the government can't touch you. That doesn't mean that peeps cant take you off the radio and call you a bigot. That would be THEIR right of free speech to do so.

Again...people very often confuse freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.

:177692: No ....... You missed the point. 49er President Paraag Marathe has acted like the government ..... beyond reproach.

SMDH.

That.....that......that doesn't even make sense. LOL.

He's NOT the government. He can't put anyone in prison. He is an employer like any other and can suspend or fire someone who works for him for making any comment that reflects badly on the company...and moreover this employee did it ON THE 49ERS FLAGSHIP STATION.

That's 100% NORMAL.

I think you need to look up Freedom of Speech.

To quote The Princess Bride...

"I do not think it means what you think it means".

This isn't even a debatable point or a conflict of opinion. You are flat wrong about the law and the intent of the law. Period. You want to argue the point? Look it up and show me where I'm wrong.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3ot2s3vc said:
Marvin49":3ot2s3vc said:
Who said anything about Rice? Ray McDonald was arrested a week and a half ago. There is no parallel.

Let me restate. This is playing out like the Rice thing. Nothing happened at first and then a video came out, and then another one. But that took months before either happened. This is following a similar path and it's about to get ugly for the Niners.

Well, there was ALWAYS a video of Rice removing his unconscious fiancé from the elevator. All we've heard on McDonald is "visable injuries" and "light bruising". I'd say that's a bit different.

I do agree tho that both cases have similar potential. If Ray is guilty tho I'd say it would probably be even worse for the Niners than it currently is for the Ravens BECAUSE of the backdrop of the Ray Rice case.

That's another reason why I think that they are pretty sure there is nothing to it. It would be a HUGE risk to take this tact if there is any chance he's guilty.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1n3fe5kf said:
OkieHawk":1n3fe5kf said:
Marvin49":1n3fe5kf said:

Well, there was ALWAYS a video of Rice removing his unconscious fiancé from the elevator. All we've heard on McDonald is "visable injuries" and "light bruising". I'd say that's a bit different.

I do agree tho that both cases have similar potential. If Ray is guilty tho I'd say it would probably be even worse for the Niners than it currently is for the Ravens BECAUSE of the backdrop of the Ray Rice case.

That's another reason why I think that they are pretty sure there is nothing to it. It would be a HUGE risk to take this tact if there is any chance he's guilty.

The Ravens tried to sweep it under the rug as well and press on. Don't think that they wouldn't try to hide something just because there MAY be a chance it backfires.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":11w4nuyj said:
Jville":11w4nuyj said:
Marvin49":11w4nuyj said:
Wow.

SMDH.

He's NOT the government. He can't put anyone in prison. He is an employer like any other and can suspend or fire someone who works for him for making any comment that reflects badly on the company...and moreover this employee did it ON THE 49ERS FLAGSHIP STATION.

That's 100% NORMAL.

This isn't even a debatable point or a conflict of opinion. You are flat wrong about the law and the intent of the law. Period. You want to argue the point? Look it up and show me where I'm wrong.

It's ok Marvin. You'll get it sometime in the future ..... when your ready.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OkieHawk":un5pzwmr said:
Marvin49":un5pzwmr said:
OkieHawk":un5pzwmr said:
Marvin49":un5pzwmr said:

The Ravens tried to sweep it under the rug as well and press on. Don't think that they wouldn't try to hide something just because there MAY be a chance it backfires.

Maybe before....not anymore.

I could be wrong tho. I'm just saying it seems like an awful risk if they don't know something.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":17vmcb16 said:
Marvin49":17vmcb16 said:
Jville":17vmcb16 said:
Marvin49":17vmcb16 said:

SMDH.

That's 100% NORMAL.

Nothing for me to get. I know what Freedom of Speech means. I'd look into it if I were you.

TIP: Look up why Hank Williams Jr. was fired.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":37vcmmuj said:
Jville":37vcmmuj said:

Nothing for me to get. I know what Freedom of Speech means. I'd look into it if I were you.

Sorry Marvin ...... your just not ready.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":qxe9vspv said:
Marvin49":qxe9vspv said:
Jville":qxe9vspv said:

Sorry Marvin ...... your just not ready.

Weak. That's what you say when you have no real response. It's "you're" BTW.

Out.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
My goodness ....... not everyone is going to rubber stamp the behavior and actions of President Paraag Marathe. Some are going to see it as a diversion at the expense of Ted Robinson. Some are going to call out the 49ers and their president.

"What do you think of the San Francisco 49ers punishing announcer Ted Robinson?" >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.facebook.com/mercurynews/posts/10152712726666337[/urltargetblank]

travlinhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":43ox3nrn said:
Not even sure he is wrong.

I worked in shelters.

There were people that enabled their abusers and made excuses for them. And that behavior makes it hard for people to help these people that are legit trapped. Because there are women that are abused, subjected to horrific behavior and trapped with no way out. But scarce resources get squandered on women that enable their own abuse.

That is just the fact.

There are plenty of excuses that can be made, trust, love, stupidity - but they still willingly stay in a dangerous situation and so reap the consequences of that choice.

We hold other people that have bad situations or cannot control themselves accountable when they are overpowered by their demons, but with this subject everyone freaks out about "Blaming the Victim". Drug Addiction literally overwhelms people's ability to make decisions and they cannot control themselves - we still make them responsible for their behavior and accountable for the consequences of their actions.

But everyone rushes to defend someone who walks back into DV, making excuses for why she was victimized when she keeps putting herself in dangerous situations. Not saying his wife falls in that category, but I do not believe that with that visible of a stage she would have no recourse to get help.

If you keep a dangerous animal, you get bitten or worse. And if you excuse an abuser, you will be abused again. When it happens again if you did nothing to extricate you? Part of the responsibility for that now falls on you - because you continued to allow yourself to be in a position to be victimized.

I saw plenty of women that stayed in abusive situations when there were exits, and because of that their kids were victims too. They shouldn't get a free pass for that.

Rice's wife protected him after the fact and STILL protects him. I would rather people focus on helping the thousands of women in every city who deserve and NEED help to stop abuse of them and/or their children, rather than someone like Rice's wife who apparently enables it.

Very well said sir.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2yd1m4ll said:
Marvin49":2yd1m4ll said:
Ted is a very good broadcaster, but those comments were way, way out if line. BTW, wasn't just the 49ers. He was also suspended by the PAC12 Network.

I don't think what the broadcaster said was bad at all. But right now, you have to word everything PERFECTLY or else the greater collective of mediocre minds will freak out on you, due to their own inability to detect the actual meaning of words or their predisposition for meaningless outrage. This, in turn, has turned us all into politicians, speaking in empty platitudes that often prance around the truth. Or if you dare speak the truth, prepare to get reamed. I hate our society right now.

Regarding Scotte, he's just ribbing Harbaugh for the 49ers jumping all over a broadcaster for basically nothing, while letting a guy who was arrested for violence play on (because the 49ers need McDonald, and they don't need some sportscaster, except as a sacrificial lamb).

Maybe the charges get dropped, but that doesn't mean violence didn't happen. It's reasonable to be a cynic.

This is why I love this site. If I read down the list (any topic) I always find a response that perfectly mirrors my thoughts. Rarely do I have to comment.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":d5mhr9si said:
My goodness ....... not everyone is going to rubber stamp the behavior and actions of President Paraag Marathe. Some are going to see it as a diversion at the expense of Ted Robinson. Some are going to call out the 49ers and their president.

"What do you think of the San Francisco 49ers punishing announcer Ted Robinson?" >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.facebook.com/mercurynews/posts/10152712726666337[/urltargetblank]

Who was asking for a rubber stamp? I'd never expect that...especially not here.

I'm talking about the argument that this somehow violates freedom of speech. It doesn't and it's not close.

You can argue it was the wrong move or that they shouldn't have done it or whatever, but the reasons have nothing to do with freedom of speech. This isn't a football argument, its a political one.

You are free to say just about anything just about anywhere and the government can't imprison you. That's freedom of speech. What freedom of speech is NOT is carte blanche to say whatever you want without other repercussions. I can stand outside my work and advocate for the Nazi Germany, but my employer ALSO has a right to can me and in doing so exercising THEIR right to free speech...effectively saying "you don't speak for me".

SOOOOOOO often I see people make the freedom of speech argument whenever they see someone fired or suspended or whatever for something they said. Its a faulty argument because they don't really understand what freedom of speech is. Its about the GOVERNMENT restricting speech.

"Paraag acted like the government" doesn't even make sense. He has no power to imprison and Ted was free to exercise his rights and simply quit. He isn't sitting in a jail cell and isn't about to be beheaded. Paraag acted like any CEO would of any company that had a visible employee say something offensive.

People are free to say whatever they want, but that will never mean there are zero consequences to the words they say.

You want to call that a diversion tactic? I disagree, but at least that's an actual debate.

Brahn

Reaction score
Jville":1ivcjron said:
Marvin49":1ivcjron said:
Scottemojo":1ivcjron said:
Marvin49":1ivcjron said:
Really? He didn't even bruise anyone.

You have proof that McDonald did? I'd love to see it if you do.

Ted is a very good broadcaster, but those comments were way, way out if line. BTW, wasn't just the 49ers. He was also suspended by the PAC12 Network.

Some suggest freedom of speech down there has also been suspended and punished.

This 100%, I have no idea how people do not understand this. Go call a little girl a slut in front of her dad and he should deck you in the face, and then you claim freedom of speech. Freedom of Speech is freedom from the government being able to persecute you because of things you say about them. Does not give you freedom from being dealt social justice. Open your mouth and put your name on it. Otherwise hush and just think.

rigelian

Reaction score
Brahn is right about Marvin being right. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences from your speech. It simply means the government can't burden speech. The 49ers were perfectly in their right to punish an employee for reflecting poorly on the organization.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
There are always cause and effects. Calling out Paraag Marathe and the 49ers is a part or it.

Latest posts