49ers punish Ted Robinson for domestic-violence comments

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":qpc6adks said:
There are always cause and effects. Calling out Paraag Marathe and the 49ers is a part or it.

...part of what? That has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech.

If you think Niners are trying to distract from Ray McDonald then I think you're wrong, but at least that's a conversation. Its up for debate.

On Freedom of Speech you are flat wrong. You have the freedom to be wrong and I can't put you in prison but I also can exert MY right of free speech to say you are in fact incorrect.

See how that works? :D

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":3m3im3la said:
OkieHawk":3m3im3la said:
Marvin49":3m3im3la said:
Who said anything about Rice? Ray McDonald was arrested a week and a half ago. There is no parallel.

Let me restate. This is playing out like the Rice thing. Nothing happened at first and then a video came out, and then another one. But that took months before either happened. This is following a similar path and it's about to get ugly for the Niners.

Well, there was ALWAYS a video of Rice removing his unconscious fiancé from the elevator. All we've heard on McDonald is "visable injuries" and "light bruising". I'd say that's a bit different.

I do agree tho that both cases have similar potential. If Ray is guilty tho I'd say it would probably be even worse for the Niners than it currently is for the Ravens BECAUSE of the backdrop of the Ray Rice case.

That's another reason why I think that they are pretty sure there is nothing to it. It would be a HUGE risk to take this tact if there is any chance he's guilty.

then why not get in front of it if your the 49ers? seriously. why hide in the gray area of waiting for actual law enforcement to rule on it?

and you seem to support this. you seem just fine letting him play for your organization knowing full well that cops were called and bruises are apparent.

it may not be enough to press charges. But the 9ers had a chance to make a stand as an organization. even if for a week. and failed...again.

How's Chris Cook playing for you guys? Does Harbaugh know his history? of course he does... but he can ball.

For me, this is an NFL problem, not just a 9er problem. I'm not saying these guys should be suspended. but organizations have an opportunity (if you dont feel its their responsibility) to set a standard that at the moment isnt required. It wouldnt take much. but noone seems willing. its business as usual. and now Ray Rice has caused a sh-- storm... only because he got caught on video

Largent80

Reaction score
People have become oversensitive pussies. I don't think what he said was bad at all.

And why can't a police department get something right. They have had a bunch of time with this Ronald McDonald dude. Either say there isn't enough evidence or charge him, it should be pretty easy to figure out. If the victim has bruises, what did she do, hit herself with a hammer?

It is all weak. Talking about stuff and this guy gets suspended for free speech. Point out to me what was so bad.

Pussies. All of them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rqxnlgoq said:
Marvin49":rqxnlgoq said:
OkieHawk":rqxnlgoq said:
Marvin49":rqxnlgoq said:
Who said anything about Rice? Ray McDonald was arrested a week and a half ago. There is no parallel.

Let me restate. This is playing out like the Rice thing. Nothing happened at first and then a video came out, and then another one. But that took months before either happened. This is following a similar path and it's about to get ugly for the Niners.

Well, there was ALWAYS a video of Rice removing his unconscious fiancé from the elevator. All we've heard on McDonald is "visable injuries" and "light bruising". I'd say that's a bit different.

I do agree tho that both cases have similar potential. If Ray is guilty tho I'd say it would probably be even worse for the Niners than it currently is for the Ravens BECAUSE of the backdrop of the Ray Rice case.

That's another reason why I think that they are pretty sure there is nothing to it. It would be a HUGE risk to take this tact if there is any chance he's guilty.

then why not get in front of it if your the 49ers? seriously. why hide in the gray area of waiting for actual law enforcement to rule on it?

and you seem to support this. you seem just fine letting him play for your organization knowing full well that cops were called and bruises are apparent.

it may not be enough to press charges. But the 9ers had a chance to make a stand as an organization. even if for a week. and failed...again.

How's Chris Cook playing for you guys? Does Harbaugh know his history? of course he does... but he can ball.

For me, this is an NFL problem, not just a 9er problem. I'm not saying these guys should be suspended. but organizations have an opportunity (if you dont feel its their responsibility) to set a standard that at the moment isnt required. It wouldnt take much. but noone seems willing. its business as usual. and now Ray Rice has caused a sh-- storm... only because he got caught on video

I've said this in the past but I would actually probably have sat him down for at least last week, but I don't have a problem with letting him play. I'd have sat him down to make sure his head was right, but they have access to him every day so they have far more ability to make that determination than I do. Reportedly, Vic Fangio told him directly that he didn't need to play and they could sit him if he wanted and he chose to play.

I'm not stating the 49ers have to wait for the entire legal process to work itself out before taking action, but at THIS point there hasn't even been a charge filed let alone a conviction. People want to rush to judgment and convict a guy before a charge has been filed.

Yup...cops were called. Yup, there are reports of bruising. Also been through this rodeo before so I've seen how it works. There is a call and someone is arrested. Cops don't even have a choice. Complain. Arrest. Period. At that point, the victim can't even recant the story and the police will proceed regardless of her wishes.

Who knows where the bruises are from.

Ray could have done this. I'm not arguing otherwise. Until Niners have the facts though its wise that the Niners are stepping back from making a definitive action one way or the other. The guy has rights. You don't think the Niners don't have a legal team advising them on every move right now especially in light of whats happened to Ray Rice? Come on. Give them just a BIT more credit than that.

As Jed York said, he'd far rather the media and fans be critical of him and have his reputation tarnished than him do something he doesn't think is fair for the sake of publicity. Ray McDonald is a good player, but he's not SOOOO good that they would risk fracturing the entire organization over one game on a Sunday afternoon.

My guess is that they know something and when it comes out their stance will make more sense. I don't know that for sure, but its the only way to me that this thing makes sense.

BTW...the Chris Cook comment is kinda funny to me considering both our teams have employed Parrish Cox.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3h8o25qq said:
A few of my friends who are old school 49er fans are so outraged and fed up with the teams management right now they are starting to rumble about boycotting niner games on Facebook.

I don't doubt it.

I know I'm getting tired of them being in the news for the wrong reasons.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
LOL @ "free speech." Nobody has the legally guaranteed right to get a paycheck for appearing on the radio. It's insane to pretend otherwise.

As of right now, the difference between Robinson and McDonald is that there is no question of what Robinson said because he said it in a widely available public broadcast, while there is still a ton of questions about McDonald did because the police have not finished their investigation. It's comparing apples and oranges, not only with regards to the incidents, but also with regards to what's known about them (one in small, one is potential large; one has cut-and-dry evidence that everyone in the world has access to, one is under investigation).

As for the smoking gun that the 9ers suspended Robinson due to PR and not some wider abstract principle, well, duh. That for-profit organizations make decisions based on public perception and relations is an incredibly banal observation. The suggestion that the 9ers are outliers or unique in this regard are completely betrayed by the very facts of Robinson's suspension: he was also suspended by the Pac 12, and they have literally no skin in this game at all.

That organizations are risk averse has nothing to do with "political correctness" or the downfall or society or the "pussification of America" or any other abstract nonsensical gripe about the entire world not being reflected in the claimant's image, it's a boilerplate observation about how organizations behave, and have always behaved.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1dqui6km said:
People misunderstanding the concept of freedom of speech except for Marvin of all Godforsaken people really bums me out.

LOL. :D

Sorry man...I know that hurt.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fqp7cq7 said:
We don't know the facts on McDonald, but I'm pretty sure the 49ers do. They knew what Robinson did. Robinson isn't just "some guy" BTW. Radio Voice of 49ers is a big deal here. I assumed same was true in Seattle, but you guys could answer that better than I.

Actually, we do know some facts. We know that McDonald's woman had bruises all over her. As Largent said so eloquently "How did she get those? She hit herself with a hammer?" This coupled with McDonald's defiant, non-apologetic stance and the woman trying to cover for him all reeks of domestic abuse. I am 90% sure he's guilty, and 90% sure he gets off scot-free. In the legal system, at least.

I don't care if Robinson is the voice of the 49ers or some intern. What he said wasn't wrong. The 49ers were looking for a scapegoat to redirect ire and to make themselves look better. They used Robinson for that end.

Marvin49":1fqp7cq7 said:
WOW.

They will have a total PR nightmare on their hands. They've painted themselves into a corner now.

Without an actual video on TMZ, the maximum downside for this event is a mere fraction of what the Ravens are going through right now. The 49ers brass sure do look like hypocrites though, to those actually paying attention (and not wearing red and gold shades).

kearly

Reaction score
Pulling the "freedom of speech" card was a brilliant maneuver by Marvin. It's as if he tricked half the posters into thinking the freedom of speech fallacy had actually been used in this thread (which it hasn't.) Gotta say, when it comes to wagging the dog I give that one a 10/10.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":23w84bmm said:
Pulling the "freedom of speech" card was a brilliant maneuver by Marvin. It's as if he tricked half the posters into thinking the freedom of speech fallacy had actually been used in this thread (which it hasn't.) Gotta say, when it comes to wagging the dog I give that one a 10/10.

Uh...yes it did. Read again.

Let me help...

"Some suggest freedom of speech down there has also been suspended and punished"

Kinda saddens me that this came from you Kearly since you actually changed my mind a bit on the issue and I said so in the thread.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":3s10ze9j said:
Marvin49":3s10ze9j said:
We don't know the facts on McDonald, but I'm pretty sure the 49ers do. They knew what Robinson did. Robinson isn't just "some guy" BTW. Radio Voice of 49ers is a big deal here. I assumed same was true in Seattle, but you guys could answer that better than I.

Actually, we do know some facts. We know that McDonald's woman had bruises all over her. As Largent said so eloquently "How did she get those? She hit herself with a hammer?" This coupled with McDonald's defiant, non-apologetic stance and the woman trying to cover for him all reeks of domestic abuse. I am 90% sure he's guilty, and 90% sure he gets off scot-free. In the legal system, at least.

I don't care if Robinson is the voice of the 49ers or some intern. What he said wasn't wrong. The 49ers were looking for a scapegoat to redirect ire and to make themselves look better. They used Robinson for that end.

Marvin49":3s10ze9j said:
WOW.

They will have a total PR nightmare on their hands. They've painted themselves into a corner now.

Without an actual video on TMZ, the maximum downside for this event is a mere fraction of what the Ravens are going through right now. The 49ers brass sure do look like hypocrites though, to those actually paying attention (and not wearing red and gold shades).

Nice. 90% huh?

90% based on what's been reported is ludicrous.

Disappointed.

All Well.

kearly

Reaction score
"Down there", not here. Bringing it up has no relevance in this thread, but it did muddy the water, which is why it's an ingenious maneuver on your part.

Besides, I'm just giving you shit. Hell, it was 90% a compliment and 10% pointing out the trick you pulled.

Now with regards to McDonald's guilt, I think it's time you opened your eyes rather than hide behind technicalities. Somebody beat her up. If it wasn't McDonald, don't you think they would have pointed the finger at someone else INSTANTLY? Come on man. Step out of the spin machine for a second and be honest with yourself.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2q68i1xw said:
"Down there", not here. Bringing it up has no relevance in this thread, but it did muddy the water, which is why it's an ingenious maneuver on your part.

Besides, I'm just giving you shit. Hell, it was 90% a compliment and 10% pointing out the trick you pulled.

Now with regards to McDonald's guilt, I think it's time you opened your eyes rather than hide behind technicalities. Somebody beat her up. If it wasn't McDonald, don't you think they would have pointed the finger at someone else INSTANTLY? Come on man. Step out of the spin machine for a second and be honest with yourself.
They are too busy hinting that the pregnant woman was high/drunk, Kearly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":27x3t7tk said:

BS from top to bottom.

1) I made a short response about Freedom of Speech and the rest was responses to someone who had no idea what it meant. No intent to spin. I corrected his notion and was backed by a number of other posters.

2) Thanks for the compliment, but it was unfounded. I wasn't pulling anything. If I did, what the hell was I TRYING to pull? I agreed with you for gods sake.

3) I'm not the one in the spin machine. I'm not the one convicting a guy before he's ever been charged. I'm not the one assuming rumors are fact and adding emphasis that has never been reported. The Police have only ever said 2 things. "Visible injuries" and "light bruising". YOU are the one spinning that into "somebody beat her up". Hiding behind technicalities? Really? No charges. No police report. No facts to judge or convict on.

I'm not the one jumping to conclusions and adding pieces to the story that aren't there

That sir is SPIN...and I'm not the one doing it. You are.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1pg1qtmj said:
kearly":1pg1qtmj said:

They are too busy hinting that the pregnant woman was high/drunk, Kearly.

Get off the freakin soapbox Scotte.

That is EXACTLY why I never wanted to say anything and Laloosh said you'd all be mature enough to understand what I was saying.

I guess he misjudged you.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":2315tu0a said:
Uncle Si":2315tu0a said:
Marvin49":2315tu0a said:

I've said this in the past but I would actually probably have sat him down for at least last week, but I don't have a problem with letting him play. I'd have sat him down to make sure his head was right, but they have access to him every day so they have far more ability to make that determination than I do. Reportedly, Vic Fangio told him directly that he didn't need to play and they could sit him if he wanted and he chose to play.

I'm not stating the 49ers have to wait for the entire legal process to work itself out before taking action, but at THIS point there hasn't even been a charge filed let alone a conviction. People want to rush to judgment and convict a guy before a charge has been filed.

Yup...cops were called. Yup, there are reports of bruising. Also been through this rodeo before so I've seen how it works. There is a call and someone is arrested. Cops don't even have a choice. Complain. Arrest. Period. At that point, the victim can't even recant the story and the police will proceed regardless of her wishes.

Ray could have done this. I'm not arguing otherwise. Until Niners have the facts though its wise that the Niners are stepping back from making a definitive action one way or the other. The guy has rights. You don't think the Niners don't have a legal team advising them on every move right now especially in light of whats happened to Ray Rice? Come on. Give them just a BIT more credit than that.

As Jed York said, he'd far rather the media and fans be critical of him and have his reputation tarnished than him do something he doesn't think is fair for the sake of publicity. Ray McDonald is a good player, but he's not SOOOO good that they would risk fracturing the entire organization over one game on a Sunday afternoon.

My guess is that they know something and when it comes out their stance will make more sense. I don't know that for sure, but its the only way to me that this thing makes sense.

BTW...the Chris Cook comment is kinda funny to me considering both our teams have employed Parrish Cox.[/quote]

i dont believe our coach said he wouldnt play someone that put his hands on women...i'm sure you can see the brash hypocrisy..

again, though. its the same merry go round. Enabling behavior "until the facts come out"...and "protecting the guys rights"... its just the same.. and this incident likely go away. (just as the Rice one would have had the video not been out)

its fine. whatever. some people just cant wrap the minds around it. highly doubtful the NFL will either. keep fighting the good fight, enjoy your Sundays

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25y7mj8e said:
Marvin49":25y7mj8e said:
Uncle Si":25y7mj8e said:
Marvin49":25y7mj8e said:

BTW...the Chris Cook comment is kinda funny to me considering both our teams have employed Parrish Cox.

i dont believe our coach said he wouldnt play someone that put his hands on women...i'm sure you can see the brash hypocrisy..

again, though. its the same merry go round. Enabling behavior "until the facts come out"...and "protecting the guys rights"... its just the same.. and this incident likely go away. (just as the Rice one would have had the video not been out)

its fine. whatever. some people just cant wrap the minds around it. highly doubtful the NFL will either. keep fighting the good fight, enjoy your Sundays[/quote]

Right...so since Carroll never said anything specific about putting hands on a woman, he's free from criticism?

Come on man.

First off, Harbaugh told his PLAYERS that, not the media, and it was reported by one of those players. Second, you don't know what Carroll has told players.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They are all right to be criticized, as was Schneider and Carroll with the Parrish Cox signing here when it happened. The persistent problems in the NFL are now front and center. The league is in danger and people dont see it yet.

But whatever, Harbaugh, he told the players "dont touch women"... then signed a man who choked his girlfriend. then played another man accused of it. Must go a long way in the locker room.

I dont even care that its the 9ers. But you are constantly defending what is simply bull sh-- for reasons that I cant grasp. you're becoming a parody to the point of ridiculousness. .

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":xss82ptj said:
They are all right to be criticized, as was Schneider and Carroll with the Parrish Cox signing here when it happened. The persistent problems in the NFL are now front and center. The league is in danger and people dont see it yet.

But whatever, Harbaugh, he told the players "dont touch women"... then signed a man who choked his girlfriend. then played another man accused of it. Must go a long way in the locker room.

I dont even care that its the 9ers. But you are constantly defending what is simply bull sh-- for reasons that I cant grasp. you're becoming a parody to the point of ridiculousness. .

WTF am I defending?