49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So its like being the fan of an NFL team that is over 20 years old?

Got it...

"eye test" and this guy is a top 10 or better QB, and you want to question whether Seahawk fans are being disingenuous?

I mean that's better than:

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Ben Rothlisberger, Matt Stafford, the one very good year of Case Keenum, Alex Smith, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff.. blah blah blah

If you expect objectivity, then bring some with you.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I actually like the move. He has a ton of potential to be a franchise QB. We don't know what kind of leader he is in the locker room or on the practice field. I have to think if the whiners can build a team around them, they'll be good competition going forward. If not... oh well. They're a rival team. To hell with them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1gvb2uwz said:
I actually like the move. He has a ton of potential to be a franchise QB. We don't know what kind of leader he is in the locker room or on the practice field. I have to think if the whiners can build a team around them, they'll be good competition going forward. If not... oh well. They're a rival team. To hell with them.

I don’t think it’s a terrible move. It’s really the only one they had. Just chuckling at the lengths some will go to promote it. He’s good. Could be legit. The 9ets are paying for future without knowing too much from the past. Reminds me of what first round QBs would be like back before the slotted salaries. Teams would mortgage everything for the prospects of Andre Ware or Akili Smiths

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments once the league makes adjustments to him. I understand why SF had to do it, but its a ridiculous contract for somebody who has played so little as him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Why not? They haven't lost with him and the cast of who he plays with and it's at this point not breaking the bank so.. 49ers seem to be back in the rivalry.

SF49r

Reaction score
JSeahawks":xojrf5oy said:
Will be interesting to see if he can make adjustments once the league makes adjustments to him. I understand why SF had to do it, but its a ridiculous contract for somebody who has played so little as him.
That's gonna be more on Shanahan to make adjustments. His offense is definitely a factor for Jimmy G's success he called some great games all season. When we were 1-9 with Hoyer and Beathard the plays were always there they just couldn't execute. Jimmy G is hitting all the throws they couldn't make which is why he got a fat paycheck.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2923rugf said:
Sports Hernia":2923rugf said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

At least with Kap, the argument was the mobility.
You would have been thrilled with a Dak comp last year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Speaking of Dak..
There is one thing about all this BS,I can't wait till Jruh's cap falls even more to hell
When he has to pay for that great line and that moron at RB .
Then comes the golden goose ..Dac

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23rx2oor said:
NINEster":23rx2oor said:
Sports Hernia":23rx2oor said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think will be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Dak?

Come on man.

At least with Kap, the argument was the mobility.
You would have been thrilled with a Dak comp last year.

My only issue with Dak comparison is that to me he was kinda protected the way Kap and RGIII were.

When Zeke doesn't play, Dak is a completely different guy. Dak needs that run game and play action to be effective.

The run game is a big part of the Shanahan Offense (and obviously it was Kyle and his dad who ran the O for RGIII) and they ran play action this year, but there wasn't a dominant run game that Jimmy was leaning on to be effective. It was HIM who got the ball moving and opened things up. It was him who rose everyone else game around him.

IE, in Dallas its Zeke and that line that is the cog that everything runs on. In those last 5 games last year, it was almost all Jimmy. He was the switch that got flipped.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ci01hf4r said:
Marvin49":ci01hf4r said:
Sports Hernia":ci01hf4r said:
I hate to agree with Marvin but he is essentially right on his general point. SC HAD to spend some $$$ as they we so far under the cap. Insane amount of money, you bet, you get a player THEY think we be the next Brady (I think Dak is a better COMP) and you drive up the price for QB contracts in the future for your competition. This signing shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, IMHO.

Thanks Man. I know that hurt. :D
It did. 8)

When a Hernia has a Hernia...... :stirthepot:

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Jimmy G is worth it as long as he doesn't get injured.
The best part is the cap hit the other big qb teams will have to pay out for much more experienced qbs. I find it bold yet smart. If he was franchised and he rocked out he would command substantially more and the other qbs would have set the market. Its a risk but I like it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rlkats":1g1jwpdf said:
NFSeahawks628":1g1jwpdf said:
Guy hasn't even proven himself, stupid contract and I FULLY EXPECT it to burn them.

Not saying that he will be great, but will you come back and say your wrong if he is good. You know eat that crow.
Improve your grammar, and I'll force him to do it.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
QuickLightning":14ozueyq said:
I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

It's not that he didn't look good. It's that you couldn't get him for less due to him having only started half a season. It was a chance to possibly get an excellent player inked to a more advantageous contract for the rest of the team - for winning a championship.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1q34fnae said:
QuickLightning":1q34fnae said:
I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch him play. He absolutely earned every dime of that contract. He's easily one of the most natural looking pocket passers in the league. No, he's not a Rodgers or a Manning, but he easily looks as good as Matt Ryan.

It's not that he didn't look good. It's that you couldn't get him for less due to him having only started half a season. It was a chance to possibly get an excellent player inked to a more advantageous contract for the rest of the team - for winning a championship.

The issue with getting him for less despite him having only started half a season is twofold:

1) As much as you’re negotiating against other contracts you’re also negotiating against APY for the next two years of the franchise tag. That’s what we learned from Cousins, and everyone thinks Washington is dumb now that they realize that two years ago they could have locked up Cousins long term for less than they’re now paying a 33 year old Alex Smith.

2) With the salary cap going up 10 million per year the most recent big investment QB to sign is going to be the highest paid. Two offseasons sho Derek Carr was the highest paid QB in the league. Last offseason Matthew Stafford became the highest paid QB in the league. By the end of this offseason Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, and likely Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers (if not also Big Ben) are going to be competing to be highest paid QB in the league and when they do resign (Wilson too) they’re all going to come in higher than Garroppollo. Alex Smith isn’t getting paid the same as Russell Wilson because anyone thinks they’d just as well have Smith to Wilson, it’s just that Smith signed an extension a few weeks ago and Wilson signed an extension a few years ago. Long story short, by the end of this offseason the 9ers won’t be betting that Garoppollo is going to be the best QB in the NFL, they’re betting he’s going to be somewhere between Stafford and Carr and paying him accordingly in the era of a rising cap.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I don't know, Popeye. Even with the on-going influx of inflating contracts, increasing caps, and the incredible amount of cap space the '9ers have, this seems off. It seems like a move made by someone more concerned with butts in seats than taking calculated risks to build advantages over the rest of the league. It was similar to what so many other teams do, like a move that'll help the 49ers rejoin the plethora of playoff and playoff hopeful teams but perhaps not surpass them. In a word, it was safe. If I'm a '9er fan and feeling on the brink of some good seasons to come, I'd have hoped for more than safe.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks Jimmy G is overrated? 6 TD passing, 1 Rushing TD to 5 INT in 5 games, that don't scream anything special to me. I guess we will see this next season if they hit the jackpot, or took a hit on too many pots.

I will give him that he can move the chains and sets up his Running backs who can actually score in the red zone and has a kicker that actually won a game for them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Actually he had 7 TD and 5 picks, still a horrible TD/INT ratio. In that sense my comp to Dak was extremely generous.