After This Season

hawknation2015

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":11h1z6q7 said:
This thread hurts my brain. A few points.

Bennett is making half what he should make. No one would give us anywhere near a high enough pick to make it worthwhile to trade him.

We are also more hard up for cap space than people realize. We have 23m in cap space and we have to sign 19 players to get to the 53 man roster.

You can add the six ERFAs to that figure, who can each be signed at the league minimum for around $4 million total. That would give us 40 players.

The $23 million in cap space estimate is based on the cap rising to only $150 million. Some have speculated that, because the new TV money will not hit the books until this year, the cap could rise to closer to $160 million next year. Half the league's teams are at around $20 million or less if $150 million is the cap.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Throwdown":1v94kgby said:
Lol we're not getting rid of Graham, point blank.

Don't know why you guys want to so bad, it's so puzzling.
Glad you said it. I've been wondering the same thing. He's going to play better and better with Russ and this team. He's just getting started and relatively young. I think he's got a long career ahead as a Seahawk.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
massari":2pvbxgex said:
chimpanjesus":2pvbxgex said:
Bennett is balling out of his mind this season, he's not going anywhere.

His stock is at his peak, why not get something for him while putting an end to our cap problems?

Because he's a very good football player, playing the best of his career. That's why I wouldn't get rid of him. The whole point of having a football team is to put good players on it.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I say go all in, no matter what the cost. This is probably the best window the Seahawks will ever have to win championships. If there's a guy on the trade market, with a short term contract that is one of the best players around, that can improve the team and wants to compete, I say trade a high draft pick for him. Can't count on rookies all the time. Trade for a lineman, wide receiver, linebacker, free agency, whatever. I would be more than willing to give up a first or a second for two of the best guys on the trade block if it means a better chance at more rings.

Do whatever it takes to get the best potential roster and take advantage of the cap space the Hawks have to better the roster.

That's not to say do what the Eagles did back in 2011 and just spend wildly, go all in, but play it smart.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Basis4day":139ygq5e said:
massari":139ygq5e said:
hawknation2015":139ygq5e said:
What cap problems?

Seahawks have the 14th most cap space available in 2016.

Guys like Bruce Irvin, Jermaine Kearse, and J.R. Sweezy already have replacements in the pipeline in Kevin Pierre-Louis Paul Richardson, and Mark Glowinski.

ERFAs Marcus Burley, Mohammed Seisay, Cooper Helfet, Chris Matthews, Steven Terrell, and David King can be re-signed for the league minimum if we want them.

There are another ~10 guys on this list who can probably be re-signed for pretty close to the league minimum.

It will be interesting to see what they do at LT and base NT. They should have at least $20 million to work with, and maybe even more, as one projection had the cap rising to as much as $160 million in 2016.

This makes me feel way better about it because I thought it was $143M, but that's this season. :34853_doh:

Also way less dead money with Williams looking like the only major hit.

Most of William's gteed money only affects this season. After this season he can be cut with 2.3 Million in dead money and cap savings of 3.8 since his base salary is 5 million.
More questions for discussion here rather than statements. I know everyone seems down on Cary Williams. But, maybe he could still work out. He hasn't been the only problem at times. He has been picked on. But, is he a primary scapegoat? I think he's played well at times and even gotten some bad calls against him.

So then, depending on who is available and what they're willing to shell out, would Williams be worth keeping around? Not saying that Williams is the ideal CB opposite Sherman. I think Maxwell was ideal.
Perhaps his play hasn't been exactly stellar. Has he been used to covering #1's previously in his career? Now that the Seahawks are moving Sherman around, would you say Williams’ play has been any better? Yes, Williams is a vet, but he's still new to the team. They've made some adjustments to his coverage technique. I remember seeing how they worked on when he turned his hips so that he’s not playing catch up and it showed that he’s changed that tech from previous seasons with previous teams.

I think Williams could start working out more and more and be a savvy vet. He somehow earned a starting role on the Seahawks Defense. If not him, it’s a roll of the dice with someone else. And, at what cost (that the Hawks were not willing to pay Maxie?)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":2mw87kag said:
Do you guys see a mini re-build happening to shed salary and get more draft picks?

No.

This process won't start until after 2017. That is when some of the stars on the team will be approaching their 3rd contracts. The way the contracts have been aligned in the last 2 years -- the transition should be expected to occur between 2017 through 2019. Seattle is more or less entering an annual reload phase.

Think of it like a college program. That's almost exactly how this team's roster strategy is designed. With the exception of keeping just a handful of players. Think of it like a 'Legacy college roster'. A college roster where a coach could elect to retain half a dozen or so players post graduation/eligibility.

Seattle just needs to keep reloading on the 4 year guys, while adding one or two legacy candidates a year. Obviously they didn't do that in 2013/14. Looks like they have in 2015 though.

This system is now mature. We'll still end up with a lot of draft picks. This year, we have 9, despite having traded away 2 of our native picks. And as always, JS can add a few more if need be. Seattle likes to be in the 9-10 range in picks. We're right on track for that.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Laloosh":1tqh4inb said:
hawknation2015":1tqh4inb said:
One year at a time. I would hate to think they would underutilize him to that extent for the rest of the season.

Seems like one thing that is lost on a few people. Wilson and Graham are both still young. People act like we cut and re-pick our team at the end of every season.

These two will be a nightmare for teams over the next couple of seasons (in my opinion).

I know they have potential to a nightmare for opposing teams (consistently). But if Graham finishes the season with the numbers he's on pace for, wouldn't you have to consider getting a 1st round pick for him and using his money towards the OL? They've never been a passing team with Wilson, so why spend that much money for a receiver if they're not going to use him to the max?

If he starts getting 10 targets a game in the second half of the season (especially targets in the red zone) then he's worth keeping imo.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1glq56u2 said:

Bennett is making half what he should make. No one would give us anywhere near a high enough pick to make it worthwhile to trade him.

We are also more hard up for cap space than people realize. We have 23m in cap space and we have to sign 19 players to get to the 53 man roster.

Bennett is making what he should be making. Just because some others are over paid, doesn't mean Bennett should be too.

Trading Bennett would likely give the Hawks a 1st or 2nd round pick. They can then pick a DE to take his place along side Frank Clark. Then they could use Bennetts money to put towards the OL or wherever they choose.

Another option would be to sign a younger FA DE like Muhammed Wilkerson (if affordable), trade Bennett for a 1st or 2nd, then pick a OL/DT/CB or whatever they choose with that pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":ya333ym1 said:
Bennett is making what he should be making. Just because some others are over paid, doesn't mean Bennett should be too

No.

Bennett is making what he AGREED to, not what he'd be worth right now on the open market............which is a much higher value.

Guarantee you if Bennett was a free agent, many teams would be willing to pay him north of 10M per year.

We WILL extend him on a nice new fat contract. No way we can let our most productive D-lineman walk next year, or hold out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":3exzkgci said:
EverydayImRusselin":3exzkgci said:

Bennett is making what he should be making. Just because some others are over paid, doesn't mean Bennett should be too.

Trading Bennett would likely give the Hawks a 1st or 2nd round pick. They can then pick a DE to take his place along side Frank Clark. Then they could use Bennetts money to put towards the OL or wherever they choose.

Another option would be to sign a younger FA DE like Muhammed Wilkerson (if affordable), trade Bennett for a 1st or 2nd, then pick a OL/DT/CB or whatever they choose with that pick.

To Echo Largent, Bennett is making peanuts compared to what he deserves and is an established dominate force and one of the best DLineman in all of football. His contract isn't prohibitive and you're already be willing to go with Frank Clark and some guy?

I like Frank Clark but c'mon, we're not even half way through his rookie year and are no way ready project his career as a long term replacement for Bennett.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Basis4day":2fwrrrkp said:
massari":2fwrrrkp said:
EverydayImRusselin":2fwrrrkp said:

His contract isn't prohibitive and you're already be willing to go with Frank Clark and some guy?

So you'd rather have Bennett over a 1st round DE prospect+a top OL free agent(s)..... or a 1st round OL prospect+a younger top DE free agent? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, but it seems I'm in the minority. :?

mrt144

Reaction score
massari":19q3bnt6 said:
Laloosh":19q3bnt6 said:
hawknation2015":19q3bnt6 said:
One year at a time. I would hate to think they would underutilize him to that extent for the rest of the season.

Seems like one thing that is lost on a few people. Wilson and Graham are both still young. People act like we cut and re-pick our team at the end of every season.

These two will be a nightmare for teams over the next couple of seasons (in my opinion).

I know they have potential to a nightmare for opposing teams (consistently). But if Graham finishes the season with the numbers he's on pace for, wouldn't you have to consider getting a 1st round pick for him and using his money towards the OL? They've never been a passing team with Wilson, so why spend that much money for a receiver if they're not going to use him to the max?

If he starts getting 10 targets a game in the second half of the season (especially targets in the red zone) then he's worth keeping imo.

They've never been a passing team so they will kneecap any opportunity to change that? :34853_doh:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2m9gg1s7 said:
So you'd rather have Bennett over a 1st round DE prospect+a top OL free agent(s)..... or a 1st round OL prospect+a younger top DE free agent? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, but it seems I'm in the minority. :?

It's very hard to trade a very good player for a very good player, just too much cap movement. That's why you can't think of very many examples if even one of your scenario.

So the question is would you trade Bennett for draft pick(s)?

Sorry, but not me. Right now we have a top 5 D-Lineman on a very cap friendly deal, of which we can extend to keep it cap friendly. In return who knows what we'd get, 1-2 draft picks that might not work out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":21g1lrkk said:
Basis4day":21g1lrkk said:
massari":21g1lrkk said:
EverydayImRusselin":21g1lrkk said:

His contract isn't prohibitive and you're already be willing to go with Frank Clark and some guy?

I prefer to keep our best players with a proven track record when their contracts are not prohibitive vs. some unknown player in the draft who may or may not be available when we we're on the clock.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j40haxq6 said:
massari":j40haxq6 said:

It's very hard to trade a very good player for a very good player, just too much cap movement. That's why you can't think of very many examples if even one of your scenario.

Sorry, but not me. Right now we have a top 5 D-Lineman on a very cap friendly deal, of which we can extend to keep it cap friendly. In return who knows what we'd get, 1-2 draft picks that might not work out.

I'm not suggesting to trade Bennett for anything but a draft pick + using his money on a free agent(s).

So trading Bennett would mean the Hawks get a 1st round prospect AND a very good free agent(s) with Bennett's money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2846t3v3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2846t3v3 said:
massari":2846t3v3 said:

I'm not suggesting to trade Bennett for anything but a draft pick + using his money on a free agent(s).

So trading Bennett would mean the Hawks get a 1st round prospect AND a very good free agent(s) with Bennett's money.

Gotcha.

I'm still not down with trading arguably our best and most consistent defensive player.........unless for some reason the extension talks go sour and it's apparent we won't be able to extend him without a prolonged holdout or breaking the bank.

Which is possible. Bennett had to hold his nose and report to camp, I highly doubt he'll do that again.

Pretty much all the core players are now signed, so should be plenty of cap space next year to give Bennett and Kam a new deal, as well as find some O-line help.

Ninety0ne

Reaction score
Howdy Hawks fans,
Visiting Raiders fan here, gz on once again beating Santa Clara and hopefully this put you guys back on the proper flight to the Super Bowl on their field. Honestly the only way it could get better for me would be if we got there as well and won. Not sure I could contain the joy of watching OAK vs SEA in Santa Clara. That is however fantasy as we're not there yet, and that's why I'm posting in this thread. Oakland has some huge holes on our defense and we have K Norton as our DC. I would think this gives us an inside track to any players leaving Seattle in FA after this season and I'm wondering who Seattle fans think will be departing in FA. I'm seeing quite a back and forth on weather Bennett will be leaving and I think Irvin fills a huge gap in Oaklands D, but whats the possibility either of them actually make it to FA?

chris98251

Reaction score
Irvin I think is probably going to go, but it won't be to Oakland, it will be Atlanta, Bennett most of us like the player when he isn't anticipating snaps, but he will want the Brinks truck backed up to his house, not sure we would pay that when we have guys being groomed.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Ninety0ne":2a4qk2o8 said:
Howdy Hawks fans,
Visiting Raiders fan here, gz on once again beating Santa Clara and hopefully this put you guys back on the proper flight to the Super Bowl on their field. Honestly the only way it could get better for me would be if we got there as well and won. Not sure I could contain the joy of watching OAK vs SEA in Santa Clara. That is however fantasy as we're not there yet, and that's why I'm posting in this thread. Oakland has some huge holes on our defense and we have K Norton as our DC. I would think this gives us an inside track to any players leaving Seattle in FA after this season and I'm wondering who Seattle fans think will be departing in FA. I'm seeing quite a back and forth on weather Bennett will be leaving and I think Irvin fills a huge gap in Oaklands D, but whats the possibility either of them actually make it to FA?

Bennett isn't a FA but we're discussing it because he is openly unhappy with his contract and is currently signed through 2017.

Irvin will get to FA and presumably wants to go to a place that offers more pass rushing opportunities.
He's openly said he wants to play in Atlanta. Though i wonder what his mentor feels about him being geographically located to his old life. Oakland is definitely a possibility.

Latest posts