After This Season

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
massari":1qqsztjl said:
Sgt. Largent":1qqsztjl said:
massari":1qqsztjl said:
So you'd rather have Bennett over a 1st round DE prospect+a top OL free agent(s)..... or a 1st round OL prospect+a younger top DE free agent? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, but it seems I'm in the minority. :?

It's very hard to trade a very good player for a very good player, just too much cap movement. That's why you can't think of very many examples if even one of your scenario.

So the question is would you trade Bennett for draft pick(s)?

Sorry, but not me. Right now we have a top 5 D-Lineman on a very cap friendly deal, of which we can extend to keep it cap friendly. In return who knows what we'd get, 1-2 draft picks that might not work out.

I'm not suggesting to trade Bennett for anything but a draft pick + using his money on a free agent(s).

So trading Bennett would mean the Hawks get a 1st round prospect AND a very good free agent(s) with Bennett's money.

I'm saying that outside of the Hawks, not many teams are willing to trade 1st rd picks for players. Bennett is also an older player so I think the highest we would receive is a 2nd. I'm not willing to try and replace a top 5 DL that can play inside or outside with a 2nd rd pick (and I'm about as high as anyone on Frank Clark).

The other aspect here is relative value. If Bennett were a FA I think he'd command 15m+/yr. We are barely paying half that. Trading him away negates the huge advantage we have.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bwarren":fgmi6sx0 said:
No matter what happens in my opinion is the O Line needs to be scrapped entirely.

The O-line needs time together and the one we have is getting better every week. Scrapping the whole thing at the end of the season would just invite another season starting out the way this season has. Let's let the guys improve throughout the season and THEN re-evaluate. I think you'll change your mind by the end of the season on this point.

rideaducati

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":380h38mw said:
massari":380h38mw said:
Sgt. Largent":380h38mw said:
massari":380h38mw said:
So you'd rather have Bennett over a 1st round DE prospect+a top OL free agent(s)..... or a 1st round OL prospect+a younger top DE free agent? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, but it seems I'm in the minority. :?

It's very hard to trade a very good player for a very good player, just too much cap movement. That's why you can't think of very many examples if even one of your scenario.

Sorry, but not me. Right now we have a top 5 D-Lineman on a very cap friendly deal, of which we can extend to keep it cap friendly. In return who knows what we'd get, 1-2 draft picks that might not work out.

I'm not suggesting to trade Bennett for anything but a draft pick + using his money on a free agent(s).

So trading Bennett would mean the Hawks get a 1st round prospect AND a very good free agent(s) with Bennett's money.

I'm saying that outside of the Hawks, not many teams are willing to trade 1st rd picks for players. Bennett is also an older player so I think the highest we would receive is a 2nd. I'm not willing to try and replace a top 5 DL that can play inside or outside with a 2nd rd pick (and I'm about as high as anyone on Frank Clark).

The other aspect here is relative value. If Bennett were a FA I think he'd command 15m+/yr. We are barely paying half that. Trading him away negates the huge advantage we have.

Bennett has been a free agent twice in the past three seasons and NOBODY offered him that much money. I doubt he would make anywhere near $15 million per year anywhere else.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Although Okung is not playing to his contract, I'm pretty sure without Okung or a major signing replacement, RW will not finish next season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":1gmj56a6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gmj56a6 said:
massari":1gmj56a6 said:

1.) Michael Bennett would not net a 1st round pick.
2.) You have no idea if those free agents would pan out. I know you love to pick and choose and play the hindsight game, but Bennett is a sure thing.. FA's and draft picks are not.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3hc6b44d said:
1.) Michael Bennett would not net a 1st round pick.
2.) You have no idea if those free agents would pan out. I know you love to pick and choose and play the hindsight game, but Bennett is a sure thing.. FA's and draft picks are not.

I stated a 1st or a 2nd rounder in my earlier posts, which means a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, which is what he'd go for.

So if the Seahawks had a chance to sign a younger Muhammad Wilkerson and trade Bennett for a 1st/2nd rounder, you'd decline? Well that's fine.

Don't know what you meant by the hindsight part though. :?

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":35g99e79 said:

On one hand you're saying he's a top 5 DL who can play inside or outside and is making half of what he should which is a HUGE bargain and on the other hand you're saying he's worth nothing more than a 2nd because of his age(30)? If teams would be willing to pay him 15M+ per, wouldn't they for sure give up a late 1st for him since he's a top 5 DL and making half of his market value?

Laloosh

Reaction score
massari":13z2sl8m said:
Laloosh":13z2sl8m said:
hawknation2015":13z2sl8m said:
One year at a time. I would hate to think they would underutilize him to that extent for the rest of the season.

Seems like one thing that is lost on a few people. Wilson and Graham are both still young. People act like we cut and re-pick our team at the end of every season.

These two will be a nightmare for teams over the next couple of seasons (in my opinion).

I know they have potential to a nightmare for opposing teams (consistently). But if Graham finishes the season with the numbers he's on pace for, wouldn't you have to consider getting a 1st round pick for him and using his money towards the OL? They've never been a passing team with Wilson, so why spend that much money for a receiver if they're not going to use him to the max?

If he starts getting 10 targets a game in the second half of the season (especially targets in the red zone) then he's worth keeping imo.

I'm of the "ask me in the offseason" mindset. I'm perfectly fine with waiting to see how they evolve together.

chris98251

Reaction score
People say trade this guy or that guy for a pick. First you have to have an offer, second that player needs to fit a scheme your going to use, Why was Clemons a bust then a star. Scheme and how you use him. Not everyone see's Bennett as a boone player in their system.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
After the Season ends...Please fix the O-Line, get a clutch Wide Receiver, & a Speedy Wide Receiver.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
massari":3hwekwes said:
EverydayImRusselin":3hwekwes said:

On one hand you're saying he's a top 5 DL who can play inside or outside and is making half of what he should which is a HUGE bargain and on the other hand you're saying he's worth nothing more than a 2nd because of his age(30)? If teams would be willing to pay him 15M+ per, wouldn't they for sure give up a late 1st for him since he's a top 5 DL and making half of his market value?

Those are not mutually exclusive events. If he were traded you can just about guarantee he would demand a new contract. The current going rate for a top flight DT is 15m per, see Overthecaps contracts page and decide which players you think Bennett might slot into. It's right in the 15m range IMO.

Here is a list of players traded for 1sts since 2000. It doesn't include Percy Jimmy or Trent Richardson. It's not very common and almost all of the players traded were younger

http://overthecap.com/looking-at-past-n ... ck-trades/

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":34of7qby said:
Those are not mutually exclusive events. If he were traded you can just about guarantee he would demand a new contract. The current going rate for a top flight DT is 15m per, see Overthecaps contracts page and decide which players you think Bennett might slot into. It's right in the 15m range IMO.

Here is a list of players traded for 1sts since 2000. It doesn't include Percy Jimmy or Trent Richardson. It's not very common and almost all of the players traded were younger

You think Bennett will hold out? That doesn't happen anymore unless you're Chancellor. Bennett is stuck with the contract he signed until 2018. Also 15M is JJ Watt/Robert Quinn money. Bennett is having his best year so far, but looking at the lists I'd say 11M per sounds right. Mario Williams, Darius, Suh all got ridiculous contracts.

So you're telling me players HAVE been traded in the past for late 1st early 2nd round picks? Cool.

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":29xlswzl said:
EverydayImRusselin":29xlswzl said:

You think Bennett will hold out? That doesn't happen anymore unless you're Chancellor. Bennett is stuck with the contract he signed until 2018. Also 15M is JJ Watt/Robert Quinn money. Bennett is having his best year so far, but looking at the lists I'd say 11M per sounds right. Mario Williams, Darius, Suh all got ridiculous contracts.

So you're telling me players HAVE been traded in the past for late 1st early 2nd round picks? Cool.

If in your opinion Bennett is worth a 1st rd pick in a trade and has a manageable contract then what exactly is the point of advocating trading him for someone unproven?

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Basis4day":1cv32djk said:
massari":1cv32djk said:
EverydayImRusselin":1cv32djk said:

If in your opinion Bennett is worth a 1st rd pick in a trade and has a manageable contract then what exactly is the point of advocating trading him for someone unproven?

IMO he's worth a late 1st early 2nd. His stock seems to be at a peak and you'd get a young prospect+money to spend in free agency.

So if the Hawks can sign a free agent like Muhammed Wilkerson or OL Brandon Brooks/Kelechi Osemele ect, they can trade Bennett and draft a guy with the pick they got for him like DE Oakman, DE/DT A'Shawn Robinson, OT Jerald Hawkins ect.

So they're trading Bennett to a team that misses out on a top DE free agent that needs one.

Best case scenario imo is if the Hawks sign Wilkerson and Brooks/Osemele then trade Bennett and Graham each for a late 1st/early 2nd. Though I'd only trade Graham if they continue not to give him around 10 targets per game in the second half of the season.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":d1s16wtk said:
massari":d1s16wtk said:
...........You think Bennett will hold out?.......
I do, signed through '18 or not, Kam situation or not. Hope I'm wrong.

He said his wife wouldn't let him.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bycrlvq said:
greenblue_eye's2":2bycrlvq said:
& a Speedy Wide Receiver.

Two speedy WR's isn't good enough for you?

Ok, ok I hope they draft a combo of both, in just one! Somebody like Amari Cooper would be excellent..I won't get greedy. :D

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
"Purge and reload" is not really Pete's "Win Forever" philosophy. The goal is to be competitive and try to win a trophy every year. We've lost a few games we probably had won, and our record looks suddenly dismal compared to our expectations, but in reality, we're the same tough team we have been since Pete installed his vision here. We'll have a certain amount of player turnover every year, but we shouldn't see a major flush and re-do during the Pete Carroll era.