All 22 @SF (QB hurries and sacks)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Emphasis was asked to be put on QB hurries and sacks. Doesn't mean that it's all I'll show but will try to capture as many as possible. This will be a work in progress.

Please, feel free to correct any mistakes on my part or add your two cents. I try to make this clear each week but I am no expert, just having some fun with the all 22 and trying to understand more about the game.

Q1, 12:27 - 1st and 10: 4 man rush, think it's Brooks (OLB) gets around Gilliam fairly quickly and gets Russ off of his spot. First read is left, feels pressure from the right, scrambles and hits Lockett who is open on the right sideline.
YZUH5r4.gif

Q1, 04:31 - 2nd and 6: SF shows blitz. Wilson appears to make a change in the protection. Graham seems to be the initial read and it's picked up pretty well by SF. Lockett might have a step on his guy but I think Russ sees Brooks eat dirt and decides to take advantage of the green in front of him. I don't think he's got time to get to the two routes on the left side of the field and makes a decent choice by keeping it and running for the 1st down.
48Q97hr

Q1, 04:11 - 1st and 10: Britt's guy beats him and Russ dumps it off to Rawls for a short gain. Looked to me like Russ had Doug over the middle if he put some sauce on it. Winds up being a short gain but I think it's also a missed opportunity. Curious to see what a few others who are smarter than I have to say about this one.
5YblLA7

Q2, 10:45 - 3rd and 5: Bowman blitzes and Sweezy is a little late picking him up but does get him redirected. Russ tucks it and runs. Looks like the routes to that side are pretty well covered up but even if Bowman doesn't get to him, Lynch is probably going to get the sack if he just steps up rather than run. The center gets pushed all the way back into Russ as well.
5LLXz4o

Q2, 05:24 - 2nd and 8: Just a little reminder of what it can look like when Russ has a pocket and a little time to scan the field.
5HNX01N

Q2, 04:44 - 1st and 10: Corner blitz. Okung picks it up. Lynch is 1:1 with Brooks. Russ bails on the pocket and takes a sack short of the LoS. Looks like he's got at least one option but he runs rather than stay in the pocket and find someone. Seems like we see stuff like this often when Graham is lined up like this. The OLB or DE just rushes the passer. Be nice to see Graham just turn around and get a quick pass in his belly for an easy 3-4 yard pickup.
LV7AZoA

Q2, 03:40 - 2nd and 16: No pressure on a 4 man rush. Russ finds Baldwin across the middle for 15 yards +15 for a face mask on SF.
TjgrmqP

Q2, 01:25 - 2nd and 3: This would have been part of a highlight reel were it not for a corner blitz that we don't see coming. Clearly a coverage breakdown by SF but Okung tries to pass Brooks off inside in order to pick up the blitzing corner and Brooks gets a clear path to Wilson. Russ manages to get the pass off before he's crushed but if he has time on this one, it's an easy TD. Instead, Russ winds up throwing an INT a few plays later.
Wfj67fs

Q2, 01:10 - 1st and 10: Gilliam loses and the coverage looks pretty good. Thoughts?
FSFE4jb

Q2, 01:02 - 2nd and 12: Looks like the line thinks Bowman is coming on this one. Instead it's #57 and he goes unblocked. Russ makes him miss and finds Lockett for the first down. Houdini!
LtmO8iF

More to follow...

Tical21

Reaction score
1st play is a pocket Russ should stay in. Gilliam actually blocks this just about perfectly.

2nd play Russ slides the protection the wrong way. I think he thought the nickel corner was coming, but we ended up with Jackson 1-on-1 on a LB while the center blocks nobody.

3rd play Britt just gets molested.

Tical21

Reaction score
Great stuff! I'm having fun. I wish I had your kind of time, my friend! The last example you've posted (57 blitzes where we originally thought it might be 53), is a perfect example of exactly what I'm talking about in the other thread. 57 comes up to the line and shows an obvious blitz. We need to pause for a second and direct traffic and pick that up. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing him to rush free when he shows his hand before the snap. None. We were making these adjustments in high school. I just don't get it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
On a good bit of these clips and especially some of the blitz pick ups that at the initial point Russell needs to get rid of the ball our receivers are running patterns where they are clumped together and easily blanketed. On one of these plays we have the same thing occurring on both sides of the field. Do you guys see this and if so could this be mistakes in the route running? I mean the plays can't be drawn up like this can they be?

Tical21

Reaction score
brimsalabim":218ebk79 said:
On a good bit of these clips and especially some of the blitz pick ups that at the initial point Russell needs to get rid of the ball our receivers are running patterns where they are clumped together and easily blanketed. On one of these plays we have the same thing occurring on both sides of the field. Do you guys see this and if so could this be mistakes in the route running? I mean the plays can't be drawn up like this can they be?
Bevell is taking his genius to a new level, just creating a new style of route, I think he's referring to it as "suggestive" or "vague" concept, I can't remember. Obviously though, attention to detail is not one of the strengths of our passing game.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":3c7rr17h said:
Great stuff! I'm having fun. I wish I had your kind of time, my friend! The last example you've posted (57 blitzes where we originally thought it might be 53), is a perfect example of exactly what I'm talking about in the other thread. 57 comes up to the line and shows an obvious blitz. We need to pause for a second and direct traffic and pick that up. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing him to rush free when he shows his hand before the snap. None. We were making these adjustments in high school. I just don't get it.

The gifs are just a byproduct of watching the game for me. Every time I try to pause/back up on game pass, it resets to the start of the game so I just capture a gif of the plays I want to look at closely and edit them as I go.