All good things must come to an end

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Very disappointed that you have chosen this route though not surprised as you nearly did so a while back IIRC. I believe I suggested you just ignore the assholes but you understandably said it was nearly impossible. I've always appreciated your outlook and usually agreed with you though that wasn't that important. Just reading an interesting poster was far more so. Your RTs will be missed man.

netskier

Reaction score
Kip, I suggest that the moderators consider adopting a new policy for you wherein the first personal attack on you in your invaluable Random Thoughts posts causes an immediate one year ban. Sudden death should deter the negative posters for a year. Ban them forever if they attack a year later after probation.

This would require at least one moderator to guard Random Thoughts zealously.

Whatever is decided, this forum letting Random Thoughts die by not adequately protecting it would be a Tragedy of the Commons.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
So did ShaunPope get the ban hammer? He certainly deserved it from what I saw.

Thanks for all you've contributed, Kip.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Ditto on the, "That sucks" sentiment. Like many one of the reasons I visit the site is to read your Random Thoughts. They are awesome and informative. As I was reading them on the Rams game I was thinking that I needed to post how much I love them because some of the commentary was not cool. I was heading back to KC from the game and didn't take the time to do it. That said I never did a good job of telling how much I appreciate your RT posts. Sorry it took until now to do so. You are amazing and we are lucky to have you.

I totally respect your feelings on the issue and will continue to look for your thoughts in other ways. Thanks again and here is to hoping we can all become closer, stronger and more respectful through this as a community.

Go Hawks!!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The only thing I can see removing both the need for aggressive modding AND a lot of the bad behavior is posting Random Thoughts the day after the game. Win or lose. Too much emotion, liquid courage, and bluster on gameday.

Cartire

Reaction score
Could always just make Kearly a mod and have him police his own threads. Hes more then qualified for the position.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ogj6vw7 said:
The only thing I can see removing both the need for aggressive modding AND a lot of the bad behavior is posting Random Thoughts the day after the game. Win or lose. Too much emotion, liquid courage, and bluster on gameday.

+1

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":3cqr5dlk said:
Could always just make Kearly a mod and have him police his own threads. Hes more then qualified for the position.
I don't think Kip has that kind of time.

Tical21

Reaction score
I feel I have arrived!

Seriously though, I will greatly miss this. You have a knack for putting your finger on the barometer, and beautifully explaining what it was that we just saw. It is so much easier for me to play off what you say and add a couple of my own thoughts than to actually put a game into words myself. I often find myself pacing uncontrollably for a few hours after the game until you tell me how I should feel, and explain why I should feel that way. You're just about always right.

It is also very nice to have one trusted voice and one thread about post game analysis. I fear we are now going to get 80 postgame threads all over the map rather than one Random Thoughts thread.

I get why the series should end. However, if I were a gambling man, I highly doubt that you will be able to help yourself. How about I agree to start a thread every week and put my name on it and amuse myself with my incoherent ramblings, and then you can come in about three posts later and do your thing? Everybody wins, right?

netskier

Reaction score
I believe that the community has to protect him in near real time. Why should he have to protect himself for doing US a favor?

AVL

Reaction score
Thanks for starting some great threads with even bettering opening posts.

No matter who you are there are going to be 25% who won't like you. They show up more when they can be

anonymous. Best to ignore rather than avoid them.

sutz

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that, Kip. Thanks for all of the work you put in on those write-ups. Best wishes as you move forward. I hope you can find a venue for your muse. It would be a shame if you stopped writing completely.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Kip, just know, that for all the jerks that ruined the fun for you, there were alot of genuine fans too! I don't blame you for stepping aside, the emotion has been running really hot lately and you've faced a good bunch of it. As a fan, let me just say thanks for all the effort you put into those threads. I can't tell you how often I'd ctrl+r .net waiting to see what you'd have to say. Thanks man.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sad to hear this.
As a relative new comer here I've got to say that your posts have been some of my favorites.
I remember last year when you took a break, I missed'em then and I'll miss them again.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3cc96kbm said:
I feel I have arrived!

Seriously though, I will greatly miss this. You have a knack for putting your finger on the barometer, and beautifully explaining what it was that we just saw. It is so much easier for me to play off what you say and add a couple of my own thoughts than to actually put a game into words myself. I often find myself pacing uncontrollably for a few hours after the game until you tell me how I should feel, and explain why I should feel that way. You're just about always right.

It is also very nice to have one trusted voice and one thread about post game analysis. I fear we are now going to get 80 postgame threads all over the map rather than one Random Thoughts thread.

I get why the series should end. However, if I were a gambling man, I highly doubt that you will be able to help yourself. How about I agree to start a thread every week and put my name on it and amuse myself with my incoherent ramblings, and then you can come in about three posts later and do your thing? Everybody wins, right?

I would like that.

I feel there is a strong need for an intellectual compartment at .net.

As far as all the comments people have made with suggestions... sorry but I've made my decision which is final.

However, if there is an interest in continuing the tradition, I think the only plausible way to make it work might be to formulate a sub-forum with different expectations of content and etiquette. A place that's like the anti-shack. If there was a sub-forum like that, it might encourage the most insightful posters to come out of their shells more and put the general focus of that sub-forum on sharing ideas instead of fighting.

Just a crazy idea I just had. Though maybe Scotte is right about the liquid courage being too much to overcome.

HawkWow

Reaction score
You have a good writing style and I never felt you were trying to jam your opinion down anyone's throats. It seemed you always left things a bit open-ended in an effort to inspire conversation or debate. That said, It does sadden me that a few rabid posters ruined what appeared to be quite fun for you and informative for others.

Take this with a grain, but one thing I learned many years ago and the reason I never write, wrote, or did radio with an element of wiggle room is that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I found it best to educate myself with tons of research, stake my position, then use facts to ward off (uninformed) opposition. Worked better on air than here (!!) but I will never deviate from that formula.

I'm sure you will find another venue or media in which to express yourself and I do wish you well with that.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Thanks for the effort put forth to produce the Random Thoughts. I didn't respond in the threads often for one I don't have the knowledge that was shared amongst some of you. I also do not have the skills to be able to write anything like that. It didn't stop me from reading learning and admiring the talent. Sorry some had to spew venom at you. Best of luck and thanks again for the time and knowledge.