All good things must come to an end

pehawk

Reaction score
Post it as a sticky post, with no comments.

You'll never be rid of the negativity.

As a fan base we hate all media. This main forum is about 75% people recycling arguments with the same posters, 10% snarky fact correcters, 5% pot shot n runners, 5% "this guy in the media is stupid", and how much is left? Well what's left is the good, which you're about 80% of kearly.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":9u2rfdgy said:
Tical21":9u2rfdgy said:
I feel I have arrived!

Seriously though, I will greatly miss this. You have a knack for putting your finger on the barometer, and beautifully explaining what it was that we just saw. It is so much easier for me to play off what you say and add a couple of my own thoughts than to actually put a game into words myself. I often find myself pacing uncontrollably for a few hours after the game until you tell me how I should feel, and explain why I should feel that way. You're just about always right.

It is also very nice to have one trusted voice and one thread about post game analysis. I fear we are now going to get 80 postgame threads all over the map rather than one Random Thoughts thread.

I get why the series should end. However, if I were a gambling man, I highly doubt that you will be able to help yourself. How about I agree to start a thread every week and put my name on it and amuse myself with my incoherent ramblings, and then you can come in about three posts later and do your thing? Everybody wins, right?

I would like that.

I feel there is a strong need for an intellectual compartment at .net.

As far as all the comments people have made with suggestions... sorry but I've made my decision which is final.

However, if there is an interest in continuing the tradition, I think the only plausible way to make it work might be to formulate a sub-forum with different expectations of content and etiquette. A place that's like the anti-shack. If there was a sub-forum like that, it might encourage the most insightful posters to come out of their shells more and put the general focus of that sub-forum on sharing ideas instead of fighting.

Just a crazy idea I just had. Though maybe Scotte is right about the liquid courage being too much to overcome.
Hmm... might I add we maybe lock it until ONE day after it's posted and then let other contribution after emotion is lower? Honestly I don't know what's possible but I know options agreeable to all involved can be discussed at the very least.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. Even as a newb to the boards, I always appreciated your even keeled comments following the games.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great posting. I have been reading these forums for years. Even after I finally signed up I have rarely posted, but I am now to say thank you. I always enjoyed reading RT and thought you handled yourself very professionally. It will be missed.

pehawk

Reaction score
netskier":3esk4y3b said:
Where is the anti shack that Kearly mentioned?

I don't know where it is, but I'm certain it should be my new nickname.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":xdcx3q10 said:

As a fan base we hate all media. This main forum is about 75% people recycling arguments with the same posters, 10% snarky fact correcters, 5% pot shot n runners, 5% "this guy in the media is stupid", and how much is left? Well what's left is the good, which you're about 80% of kearly.

Agree 100% with everything said in this post.

calihawk

Reaction score
I have been enjoying .net for many years and I always looked for your random thoughts after games .
I rarely post but will miss your analysis ,don't blame you for getting bummed,good luck.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I was with you until you painted Colmes as an innocent victim. :) jk. That sucks that you will no longer be posting as it is one of the first things I look for after a game. I think Pehawk said it before me but if you get the itch again maybe sticky the post and don't allow comments? Although that might take away from some of its intended purpose. Regardless its sad that a few people ruin it. Hope to see your work continued on the Draft blog.

daketah

Reaction score
I'm all for the "anti-shack". If it existed, I'd probably visit that at an inverse rate of what I've given the shack.

This idea would create a much more readable section of .net for my taste.

I wish random thoughts didn't have to go, but I understand. It's like when someone farts in an elevator. We were all going somewhere important, but now someone had to subject everyone else to their intestinal distress. Now, we are compelled to use the stairs unless we don't mind inhaling fecal fumes. It will be a lot more work to catalyze my post-game thoughts now.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've thought for a while there needs to be an official 24 hour rule after a game. Anyone who wants to vent can do so in that 24 hours. After that, take a chill pill, take it to the shack or take a vacation from the board.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
And this is why we can't have nice things. Very sad to hear this, Kip. I sometimes commented, sometimes did not, but always enjoyed reading your thoughts in those threads, as well as some of the more informed, rational replies. I think in some ways these threads have made our jobs as moderators easier at times, as they serve as a focal point for discussion, and stave off at least some of the dozens of reaction threads that would otherwise pop up in here.

We can't just have him post his Random Thoughts™ thread and lock it, though. If we did that, every kneejerk troll-glodite with an account would just reply via PM and make his life just as miserable, or more so. And we don't want to have to step in and wade through the lowbrow responses with a banhammer and a magic editor.

There can be a solution, maybe. Perhaps it will come in the form of others stepping up to fill the void. Perhaps the discussion will otherwise mutate and evolve. Perhaps it will come in as-yet unforeseen changes. Who knows? But it would be nice to continue on in some semblance of what we have all come to know and appreciate.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you, Kip, for all your random thought posts. I've looked forward to them for ages.
Secondly, I can't blame you. The culture here has changed a lot. I've even found myself spewing prickishness after losses, I read the boards for a while and my rage is only multiplied. That didn't seem to be the case until the last couple of years.

Lastly, keep me in the loop of anywhere you are contributing content. You have a talent.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thanks for your contributions Kip. I know I will miss your random thoughts. I agreed with them about 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time I didn't you always made a solid case for your POV. It looked like a ton of work, but it was appreciated by many.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":3cshkyv0 said:

The problem with that kind of thing is that simply being in this kind of position effectively puts you in an ivory tower in the eyes of many. Giving one poster that kind of special treatment and privilege only makes that ivory tower seem taller and more distant.

I think if a thread like this is going to work long term for whoever picks it up next, it probably has to be more democratic in nature, and probably put somewhere other than the main forum.

The pass rush thread you started recently is a good example of what I mean in regards to the open ended nature. There should be an expectation that people who join in are there to contribute, not to take away from these types of threads. Which IMO does not gel with the quirks of the main forum.

pehawk

Reaction score
One of my last and most cocaine induced articles I wrote was called "Sliding doors and Seahawks lore". It was published at an odd time, and I was already in my annual bi polar stage, so it wasn't highlighted too much. But I still remember your reply to that article. And that was before you were "kearly". It meant the world.

Point being; you were on the tower before Random Thoughts. You know and love the game, that's the tower.

And hold on to the good comments only. Dotnet is ala carte.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Kearly, I wish you would keep the RT coming but it sounds like your mind is made up.

I always appreciate your RT posts whether I agree or disagree. You always presented info, opinion, and perspective in a well thought out, knowledgeable, and relate able way. You did a great job and I will miss your words.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to start posting a RT and it's going to be so bad (intentional or not) that you're going to come down from the GM chair to coach ala Pat Riley or what Holmgren should have done when he was GM of the Browns.

Latest posts