Any of you buy this?.....

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Marygolds speaking outta his id.
I'm certain that the LOB were quaking in their skivvies at the thought of having to face the Greenies. :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
lol Chris Maragos.

fgfumble1.gif

Okay, laugh's over. I buy it.

Seattle knew they were going to face the Saints or the Eagles. They had humiliated the Saints 34-7 about a month earlier.

They hadn't yet faced the Eagles, and the Hawks couldn't be sure how their defense would adapt to a hurry up offense of such high caliber. The Seahawks actually lost games to ballsy QBs with good arms and good enough mobility over the previous two seasons, the Colts, the Dolphins, the Lions (Stafford was impossible to sack in that game). The Eagles would also have more of a psychological advantage, playing with house money.

I was pumped when the Saints beat the Eagles. It felt like a free ticket to the NFCCG. Had the Eagles won I would have been a little nervous even though Seattle would obviously be heavily favored on paper.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Quick, Maragos, pass the ball.

Oh, you just fumbled it into the Titans hands and they ran it back for the touchdown? Maybe you ought to lie low for awhile. Just saying.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Honestly, I wanted to play Brees and the Saints and tarnish his HOF credentials more than I wanted to play the up and coming Eagles. But to say that Wilson, Lynch, Sherman were hoping to avoid anyone... That's a stretch.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll never understand why Kearly feared the Eagles in the playoffs and was relieved when the Saints took them out.

I mean, I understand in theory, like why he felt that way; I guess I just didn't agree, at all, lol.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3g9ot71p said:
Quick, Maragos, pass the ball.

Oh, you just fumbled it into the Titans hands and they ran it back for the touchdown? Maybe you ought to lie low for awhile. Just saying.

Yeah I was about to say, this coming from a guy that made probably the most boneheaded mistake I've ever seen a seahawk make. Luckily it didn't cost them a win.

Wish they had cut him mid game after that.

kearly

Reaction score
If the Eagles win that game, they'd have been 10-3 in their previous 13 games with one of the best and most difficult to defend offenses in the league. They were #1 by a huge margin in explosive plays, and when Seattle does lose it is because of explosive plays. The Eagles were also one of the NFL's better road teams.

I'm really glad we got the Saints. The Saints had basically no chance and we knew that at the time. The Eagles had a small chance. Seattle has struggled some against heavy underdog opponents.

taco40

Reaction score
tifferradish":1v0d0jjr said:
Chris Maragos is a turd. Anyone could replace him, and he knows that, so he talks trash to compensate for the fact that we didn't re-sign him. The Eagles are a fad/trendy team with their flashy offense last year, which was exploited. If they played us AT ALL last year, we would have destroyed them. Plain and simple. Their offense may be fast, but our defense is faster, and better. After reading the article and the replies, it seems to me that Maragos was the only one scared. I know he's trying to pump up his new team, and get on the fans side, but realistically, Hawks would whoop that ass.

I've noticed that when someone has no relevant addition to a discussion, they change to a degradation of their opposition. Calling a member of our Championship Team who would love to still be here such a thing does not show any amount of class.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think that it makes sense.

The Saints were a team that the Seahawks had shown to match up well with. They already knew how to play them.

The Eagles were a little bit different, not as much film and Chip was one of those guys like Pete that has a tendency to find the chinks in the armor. It made sense to be a little concerned about them because we had little experience with them.

As for camaraderie? That makes sense too. Maragos moved from been a small fish in big pond (since he was not one of our top tier guys I imagine he also did not get the attention internally that those guys get) to being a bigger fish. He comes to a team that is starved for a SB, and he just was part of one that won one. So he has people listening to him, asking advice, bringing him in to help shape the team culture - because that is what you ask of people that come from winners. You ask them to share pieces of what brought that winning.

Of COURSE he is going to feel more closeness, because people are going to engage with him more.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'd also have been scared of the Eagles if I hadn't watched Chip Kelly blow a National Championship and a Rose Bowl. After losing in the first round in 2013, Kelly still has to show he's not a regular season hero/post season failure.

/residual anger.
/unblocked Nick Fairley

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't think he or any other former hawk on a new team would risk alienating a new fan base. He certainly didn't trash SEA either. Fine with all of that. Probably BS, but good BS (given his situation).

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1f4pqevb said:
I'd also have been scared of the Eagles if I hadn't watched Chip Kelly blow a National Championship and a Rose Bowl. After losing in the first round in 2013, Kelly still has to show he's not a regular season hero/post season failure.

/residual anger.
/unblocked Nick Fairley

To be fair, that game featured Darron Thomas vs. Cam Newton. And since you brought it up, I seem to remember Kelly's team winning the Rose Bowl the very next season. Over a certain record setting QB... gosh who was that?

Kelly does strike me as a coach who is more set up for regular season success than postseason success due to his emphasis on offense and fast pace. But judging him by a few postseason games is still small sample size.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A good road team with a play calling and audible system that is more immune to noise? Yeah, I remember why I wanted the Saints over the Eagles.

Maragos is just trying to fit in over there. No big deal.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1n3x9js4 said:
Sarlacc83":1n3x9js4 said:

/residual anger.
/unblocked Nick Fairley

To be fair, that game featured Darron Thomas vs. Cam Newton. And since you brought it up, I seem to remember Kelly's team winning the Rose Bowl the very next season. Over a certain record setting QB... gosh who was that?

Kelly does strike me as a coach who is more set up for regular season success than postseason success due to his emphasis on offense and fast pace. But judging him by a few postseason games is still small sample size.

You are correct about the Rose Bowl the next year, in what was a very entertaining game, and I was going to bring that up. It slipped my mind, but I'll post my thoughts here.

However, the then Wisconsin coach Bielema had the same streak of postseason yips - making that game a contention of who would strike out first. The next year, Kelly also won the Fiesta Bowl against an overrated Kansas State team. He ended up 2-2 in BCS Bowls.

But you'll notice he lost to teams with great defenses in OSU and Auburn, and I suppose the main point which I didn't clarify as well as I should have is that you put a Kelly offense against a defense in the playoffs, and it's practically game over. He never really recovers from those initial hits, and instead, continues to force it in a way that would make Pete Carroll shake his head. (Cause Pete's stubborn, too, you see.) Even though it was "Thomas v. Newton" the score only ended up as, what, 19-14? Surely Chip's offense should've done better than 2 touchdowns given the fact the Ducks defense did its job that day (with a little help from Newton overthrows). I see no reason to think the Seahawks defense wouldn't have done the same to the Eagles offense last year,, given the fact the Saints did a pretty damn good job on that offense. Obviously we can't actually see the results (even when the teams play in the upcoming season, because of the regular season/post season commentary), but I'm confident in what I've said.

So, yes, it's a small track record, but at the same time, I think we can agree that when it has been time to come up big, Kelly hasn't, and the onus is on him to do otherwise. Until then, I get to make the abductive logic leap.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I'm an Eagles fan. If the boys in Green had beaten NO, I was not looking forward to visiting Seattle. Last year was simply Seattle's year, pure and simple. We're talking a team that went smashmouth with SF (easily the second best team in the league) and pee-pounded Manning and company.

"Nick Foles!" *shivers*

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah the Eagles chemistry was amazing last year. You've got Riley Cooper dropping racial slurs and LeSean McCoy, among others, refusing to talk to him.

Sounds like everyone was really tight over there.

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":4opt0n0e said:
But you'll notice he lost to teams with great defenses in OSU and Auburn, and I suppose the main point which I didn't clarify as well as I should have is that you put a Kelly offense against a defense in the playoffs, and it's practically game over.

I 100% agree on paper. That said it's still a sample size of two. Plus, I'm not really sure how much we can apply college football bowl game results to the NFL playoffs.

As much as we like to think that Seattle will always crush finesse teams, they lost to Atlanta, they lost to the Dolphins, they lost to the Lions, they lost to the Colts, and they fell behind 21-0 at home to big bird. Any team with a strong armed, mobile enough, ballsy QB is a team we should respect.

Latest posts