anyone hear Hugh Millen go off on a Philly reporter...

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Tical21":3j4ab3oi said:
Hugh is the best thing going in local media, has been for years, and it isn't even somewhat close. The guy flat out knows a crapload about football, and is good at communicating it. I seriously doubt there is another media type on the planet that I would rather listen to.

He also LOVES Lynch. He's said many times that he's probably his favorite Seahawk ever, and how much he would have loved to play with a guy that plays as hard as he does. He "gets" running backs, which are usually a completely different breed of cat. Best athlete out of anybody on the field, biggest badasses there are, take 10x the pounding of anybody else, and almost all are humble about it. RB's should be appreciated, and maybe none more than Marshawn.

Once upon a time, I was on the other side of a Hugh Millen rant, and I'll tell ya, the guy is kind of a douche. I was near their box when he aired out the Husky PR guys about their red/white/blue uniforms, and it was just way over the top, as much as I agreed with him.

Was the F-bomb called for? Maybe not, but there are very rare circumstances where coming from the right person at the right time, will completely drive a point home. This wasn't that great, but still pretty good.

I think Mitch is the best, but Hugh is close imo

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
I love listening to Millen. I don't agree with everything he says but he is passionate and well informed. He is always angling towards the same fan perspective I have so when I don't agree with his opinion it doesn't bother me. He forms his own opinions and doesn't cow to other opinions unless they are intelligent and well articulated well. He would make a great NFL network mediot except there's no way in hell he would bend his opinions to match the script. He doesn't need to, he was a NFL QB for a decade and a half. Holmgren and Millen would be the best sports radio in the US if they went national.

Yes, Millen was wrong about Wilson in the draft. Seems like this is the reason some people don't like him. Get over it.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hugh's primary issue on the Wilson front wasn't that he was initially wrong, but that he kept on pridefully doubling down over and over again and refusing to admit that he had gotten it wrong well past any reasonable point that he had been disproven.

But anyway, I think he's okay. I'm not among those holding a grudge about the Wilson thing; I just find that Millen, despite being plenty knowledgeable, isn't that interesting to listen to a lot of the time.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
The guy on KJR that drives me nuts is Mitch. Listened to him since day one and have always thought the same thing. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and doesn't come prepared and just waist's airtime talking about nothing. Seriously, that guy says less than anyone else on talk radio, always has and it just recently seems to be getting worse. Adding "ies" to every frigging thing is really getting old also. Dude, your an adult with kids, this isn't frigqing elementary school. His lame ass side kick is doing the same thing, wish I could reach through the radio and slap both of them.

I really don't like Mitch, however I appreciate his interview ability. He just sucks when not interviewing people. Every time I listen to Mitch kill time on air I want to yell "dude, your not Seinfeld".

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I don't think Mitch thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, certainly not about sports. He's there for entertainment value, which of course is going to work for some and not for others. I like him, though if I thought he was taking himself too seriously I'm sure I'd like him less.

Admittedly I only go for that first hour of Mitch; I'm always inclined to change over to Brock and Salk once they hit the air.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1pqlgt1p said:
The guy from Philly is an asshole. I'm shocked.
He's an All Mouth Piece-O-Shit.
If Marshawn gets wind of this tool's attitude about him, I would have someone on the team warn him to keep his distance.......The floor is very slippery.

RiverDog

Reaction score
What has our society come to if a guy that doesn't like to talk in front of a crowd of strangers is considered "weird"?

I wonder how Calvin Coolidge would have fit into today's society?

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
RunTheBall":24eaibqv said:
JaiSeaSea":24eaibqv said:
RunTheBall":24eaibqv said:
1222_1410804719.jpg

I remember when that was our trophy case.

After all the shit spewed at Hawk fans with this type of meme, I will never be "that" guy.
Cookie.png

Thanks! Now continue being a douche

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
It seemed to me that the guy was looking for a reaction...resorted to name calling early. I'm glad Hugh stepped in to defend Marshawn. Just another entitled sports writer. He was even talking about forcing more than one word answers out of the player like it's some sort of zoo spectacle.

Anyway, in listening to the guy spewing nonsense, I didn't agree with any of his points. The running game is key to controlling the game. He's talking about how important the defense and the QB position is and was totally discounting what time of posession gets you by running the ball. Tell that to the Eagles, since they got dominated in the TOP category. Tell us how important QB play is when we run the ball down everyone's throat regularly.

I thought the guy had a weak argument to start off with. Hugh was totally justified in putting the guy in his place. It wasn't "good points all around" talk...it was one dude that didn't know his football.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
irocdave":2w1g3pc4 said:
I don't get the hate for Millen, .

I don't hate Millen, I just find his droning analysis style extremely boring to listen too. I love football as much as the next guy, but I don't need a 15 minute breakdown of ONE play.

If he showed half the personality he showed yelling at this Philly reporter he'd probably stop people from turning the station to 710 when he's on.

Tical21

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":cez8mi9e said:
Tical21":cez8mi9e said:
Hugh is the best thing going in local media, has been for years, and it isn't even somewhat close. The guy flat out knows a crapload about football, and is good at communicating it. I seriously doubt there is another media type on the planet that I would rather listen to.

He also LOVES Lynch. He's said many times that he's probably his favorite Seahawk ever, and how much he would have loved to play with a guy that plays as hard as he does. He "gets" running backs, which are usually a completely different breed of cat. Best athlete out of anybody on the field, biggest badasses there are, take 10x the pounding of anybody else, and almost all are humble about it. RB's should be appreciated, and maybe none more than Marshawn.

Once upon a time, I was on the other side of a Hugh Millen rant, and I'll tell ya, the guy is kind of a douche. I was near their box when he aired out the Husky PR guys about their red/white/blue uniforms, and it was just way over the top, as much as I agreed with him.

Was the F-bomb called for? Maybe not, but there are very rare circumstances where coming from the right person at the right time, will completely drive a point home. This wasn't that great, but still pretty good.

I think Mitch is the best, but Hugh is close imo
Okay, yeah, Mitch is close. I'll give ya that. He doesn't watch as many sports or think about sports as often as he used to. He used to add a ton of original thought and bring up things I hadn't thought about before. He still has a few moments of brilliance now, but they're more few and far between.

Wassell is the only thing worth listening to on that other station. I really like Mike Salk, but Brock is absolutely unlistenable.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Honestly I could handle the comments about Marshawn just fine, but anyone who takes shots about the Sonics being stolen away should do the world a favor and take a bath with a toaster.

Shaz

Reaction score
byau":2la032qs said:
Irocdave I thought both were being juvenile. And I still think the fbomb was not necessary. I remember someone (an athlete, don't recall who) saying his grandma once said if you have to cuss it means you cannot argue your point intelligently. To me, when Millen could have sounded a lot more intelligent in making his point instead of stooping down to the other guys level, and in my mind the other guy was still making points about why he used the word "weirdo" and Millen didn't make any points, he just raised objections and then said the f-word. Not compelling argument on either side. That being said the rest of the conversation, little juvenile pokes aside, seemed to be good conversation with both sides supporting their opinion.

You're Grandma was a very unwise woman if she ever thought that.

Cussing isn't a measure of intelligence, it's a measure of calling out and stalling out someone's bullshit

Stick to the back of the room and let the foul mouthed Alpha's such as meself square things away

Sac

Reaction score
I consider profanity to be a seasoning. You can have too much, but when used in measured doses it can have the desired result.

byau

Reaction score
Wow.. interesting discussion on cussing. Okay, a few points I'd like to put out there

For me, sure there is cussing for "seasoning" as SacHawk said and using it to be descriptive. In fact Sac made a great analogy there and when called for, sure no problem with it (anyone seen "From The Hip"?). No problem with that.

For me, then there is cussing for argument's sake. And sure it works, depends on the argument

Emotional argument or Rational argument?

For me cussing is emotional, so in an emotional situation, sure let er' rip. Road rage, steal my parking spot, make a personal attack against you or your kids, dang man just go to town on the m'fer.

Shaz: your point:

"Cussing isn't a measure of intelligence, it's a measure of calling out and stalling out someone's bullshit. Stick to the back of the room and let the foul mouthed Alpha's such as meself square things away"

I can see it, especially if it's an emotional argument or fight. Intelligence doesn't help you diddly squat there.

And in fact, Shaz, I'll even admit if someone challenged me to a fight and you were there telling me to sit in the back of the room and let you square things away, I'll be honest you sound like the kind of guy who would back that up and I'd gladly sit.

I'd disagree with you though Shaz if you're talking about a rational argument and cussing not being related to measure of intelligence: And this is what the quote from the athlete's grandma about cussing is about: that she wanted her grandson to be able to articulate points of debate in a (rational) argument instead of having nothing to say and then resorting to cussing. If one were to check out any forum of rational debate (court of law, government, etc) I am guessing it would be hard pressed to find cussing, esp to call out BS. Call out BS by poking holes in the other guy's points. That Philly guy left lots of openings by just repeating himself on that point calling Lynch weirdo with nothing to back it up. Millen at least seems intelligent and would loved to see Philly guys' points be poked at in a more debatable way than just using the F'word.

That was my point.

morgulon1

Reaction score
endzorn":2qvf98pz said:
I love Hugh Millen and I don't live anywhere near Seattle. I listen to his podcasts on KJR because he's thoughtful and tries to be objective. It was great when so many people piles on him about his post-draft Wilson comments. He saw it how he saw it looking through years of experience and he was wrong. Not many people were right, other than the all knowing football geniuses here, of course.

I'm going to have to find this.

I listen to KJR on Iheartradio as well because I live in Spokane.I was taken back when I heard the f bomb but was proud
Of Millen taking up for #24. That Philly douche probably knew better than us what was going to happen.

hater.