Are the 49ers Better than the Seahawks?

nanomoz

Reaction score
Oh for sure. But that might not be the case in January.

That Prime Time matchup will be fun. You know both teams will be absolutely jacked.

NINEster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3fno9w4c said:
No team in the NFL is unbeatable, including the perfect 49ers. All the teams have weaknesses, ALL of them.

That's correct.

This new Seahawk identity is interesting...…..it's really all about Wilson. No longer a pure power rushing team, no longer a defense teams fear. It's led to a strong start, but how long will it last when MVP Wilson is so far only beating teams with tight point differentials? You haven't even thrown the ball to the other team yet and every game is tight???

Meanwhile GQ has thrown 5 and hasn't lost a game, and even the game that was close to losing, they ended up -4 TO differential and still won. That has very much the feel of the old Seahawks.....

When you have all world stats and you're barely winning, that's cause for concern. And your one loss was to a team that is proven to have earned it even with a backup QB. At home.

The defensive slate going forward is going to get harder. Ravens, Bucs, 49ers twice, Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Panthers. A lot of those games at home, luckily.

But Century Link is no longer a house of horrors every single week like it used to be. When Mahomes, Rodgers and LA/SF come to town, sure, but Bucs almost won there 2013. This year's Bucs will probably score some points.

Lots of pressure for Wilson to win every week. The advanced stats show that the Seahawks this year are #1 TDs/points in the redzone and 6th in TDs/drive, but ranked 22nd in punts/drive, 19th in 3 and outs, 31st in FGs per drive.....Wilson's TD passes are being asked to show up to save the day over and over again:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats ... tsoff/2019

If we're defining MVP as Most Valuable Player to one's team, def. deserves it.

John63

Reaction score
NINEster":6udnju14 said:
SoulfishHawk":6udnju14 said:
No team in the NFL is unbeatable, including the perfect 49ers. All the teams have weaknesses, ALL of them.

That's correct.

This new Seahawk identity is interesting...…..it's really all about Wilson. No longer a pure power rushing team, no longer a defense teams fear. It's led to a strong start, but how long will it last when MVP Wilson is so far only beating teams with tight point differentials?

When you have all world stats and you're barely winning, that's cause for concern. And your one loss was to a team that is proven to have earned it even with a backup QB. At home.

The defensive slate going forward is going to get harder. Ravens, Bucs, 49ers twice, Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Panthers. A lot of those games at home, luckily.

But Century Link is no longer a house of horrors every single week like it used to be. When KC and LA/SF come to town, sure, but Bucs almost won there 2013. This year's Bucs will probably score some points. Lots of pressure for Wilson to win every week.

And what happens when you come up a team that finds a way to negate the pressure you get with your frornt 7, you will struggle. You team revolves around it and it is hard to maintain week after week as well. We should know we tried it and even we in our SB had games it was not enough or did not work as well. It will be interesting. FYI we do still have a top 10 run game as well.

When it comes down to it were the better offense Ranked 4th to your 19, your the better defense ranked 19 to your 2 , , we have the better St ranked 22 to your 32 and we will see. My guess there will be a split. AS to not a house of horrors really your example is 2013? It is still a very hard place to play and every team that comes here knows it. Also FYI ahh every QB has lots of pressure, you think Jimmy G can just mail ti in and you win. He needs to play mistake free ball, so the pressure is there, the difference is Wilson has a history of coming through more often than not and Jimmy G does not. The most important player on the filed is the QB and we have a very clear advantage there and it is your defense that will have the pressure to stop him, something that is far easier said than done this year, and we are talking this year not last. It will be fun. That said a lot of football between now and then a lot can happen, injuries, pick ups, etc. we will see.

NINEster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3iltlcsx said:
Well, 5-0 or not, the Niners still have plenty to prove. I'm loving that so many are crowning them already.

They deserve to be crowned a tough out, at the very minimum.

All the numbers and eye test show it.

We can save the "are they a SB team?" conversation for a different day. This isn't "if the rams make it, will Goff be able to win it?" convo. Niner fans are happy their team isn't losing anymore, and can start looking forward to a playoff berth finally.

But at the same time, on any given Sunday basis, definitely have the evidence to think the 49ers are a strong team.

BTW, Soulfish, with regards to "they have a lot to prove"...….I'll leave you with this:

Shanahan has kept this locker room together at an extremely high level the last two seasons prior. The most underrated part of what he's done is to keep a losing team playing with the character of a winning team. His team couldn't close the last two seasons but they were fighting for each other.

Now that they've got the wins and improved coaching, things are getting real.

When the Niner homer expectations have been surpassed, it's something to watch out for. :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I already admitted it earlier today, even if I didn't want to :)
Yes, they are a good team. In fact, I think that D is elite. Now I'm going to go lose my lunch...…...

NINEster

Reaction score
John63":2ejy6ic9 said:
NINEster":2ejy6ic9 said:
SoulfishHawk":2ejy6ic9 said:

That's correct.

This new Seahawk identity is interesting...…..it's really all about Wilson. No longer a pure power rushing team, no longer a defense teams fear. It's led to a strong start, but how long will it last when MVP Wilson is so far only beating teams with tight point differentials?

But Century Link is no longer a house of horrors every single week like it used to be. When KC and LA/SF come to town, sure, but Bucs almost won there 2013. This year's Bucs will probably score some points. Lots of pressure for Wilson to win every week.

And what happens when you come up a team that finds a way to negate the pressure you get with your frornt 7, you will struggle. You team revolves around it and it is hard to maintain week after week as well. We should know we tried it and even we in our SB had games it was not enough or did not work as well. It will be interesting. FYI we do still have a top 10 run game as well.

When it comes down to it were the better offense Ranked 4th to your 19, your the better defense ranked 19 to your 2 , , we have the better St ranked 22 to your 32 and we will see. My guess there will be a split. AS to not a house of horrors really your example is 2013? It is still a very hard place to play and every team that comes here knows it. Also FYI ahh every QB has lots of pressure, you think Jimmy G can just mail ti in and you win. He needs to play mistake free ball, so the pressure is there, the difference is Wilson has a history of coming through more often than not and Jimmy G does not. The most important player on the filed is the QB and we have a very clear advantage there and it is your defense that will have the pressure to stop him, something that is far easier said than done this year, and we are talking this year not last. It will be fun. That said a lot of football between now and then a lot can happen, injuries, pick ups, etc. we will see.

I love that Jimmy G is being seen as an unproven bum. I mean, he hasn't lost a game yet in crunch time (2016 with NE against AZ, 2017 against CHI & TEN, 2019 against PITT). That's ok...….I'll accept it for now.

As for Wilson, all things considered...…..we got NO pass rush on him last year and beat him at Levi's. In fact, the coaching masterpiece of Saleh was getting a W against Seattle last year. Wilson is a guy where a huge pass rush doesn't necessarily help, but if you crowd him it will affect him.

Gotta keep him in the pocket and play QB. Very, very hard to do, which is why he has success.

But when you do succeed......

John63

Reaction score
NINEster":1drcox6p said:
SoulfishHawk":1drcox6p said:
Well, 5-0 or not, the Niners still have plenty to prove. I'm loving that so many are crowning them already.

We can save the "are they a SB team?" conversation for a different day. This isn't "if the rams make it, will Goff be able to win it?" convo. Niner fans are happy their team isn't losing anymore, and can start looking forward to a playoff berth finally.

But at the same time, on any given Sunday basis, definitely have the evidence to think the 49ers are a strong team.

BTW, Soulfish, with regards to "they have a lot to prove"...….I'll leave you with this:

Shanahan has kept this locker room together at an extremely high level the last two seasons prior. The most underrated part of what he's done is to keep a losing team playing with the character of a winning team. His team couldn't close the last two seasons but they were fighting for each other.

When the Niner homer expectations have been surpassed, it's something to watch out for. :2thumbs:

The problem is most of us here have already said they are a good team, how good we dont know, Way better than everyone else again we dont know.

NINEster

Reaction score
John63":2sg2a3d4 said:
NINEster":2sg2a3d4 said:
SoulfishHawk":2sg2a3d4 said:

The problem is most of us here have already said they are a good team, how good we dont know, Way better than everyone else again we dont know.

Still early yes.

And in true superstitious fashion, you always prefer to be overlooked to an extent.

You want that respect, but you don't want the 2012 Texans effect either...….

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NINEster":2b7l9n20 said:
And in true superstitious fashion, you always prefer to be overlooked to an extent.

You want that respect, but you don't want the 2012 Texans effect either...….

And if you're Richard Sherman, if you're not being overlooked you still act like everyone doubted you in order to justify the Mt. Rushmore sized chip on your shoulder.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":a097krsb said:
Every 49ers fan is concerned about "that ****ing midget" for our match-up on 11/11.

They are the better overall team right now, for sure. There's no completely accounting for that Russell Wilson Magic, though - no matter how good you are...and they know it. :)
Marvin said as much

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Really sucks that Goff chokes under pressure, because Sherm got absolutely TORCHED on a play in the 4th quarter. His guy was 10 yards behind him. But he overthrew it and nobody said a word after.
But, this is Sherm so he would literally tell us that it didn't happen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hcn4tnm said:
Really sucks that Goff chokes under pressure, because Sherm got absolutely TORCHED on a play in the 4th quarter. His guy was 10 yards behind him. But he overthrew it and nobody said a word after.
But, this is Sherm so he would literally tell us that it didn't happen.
We'll see how it goes when we play them, but I saw him get beat a couple times early in the Cleveland game.
Wouldn't be funny if Russ burned him a couple times for TDs and then ran down the field, got in his faced and screamed "you suck" or whatever it was Sherm screamed at him in practice (probably a whole lot worse than that but you get my drift).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
94Smith":2intkzwj said:
John63":2intkzwj said:
MontanaHawk05":2intkzwj said:
[flash=][/flash]
Aros":2intkzwj said:
Have you ever seen Russ be shut down by ANY defense, ever?

Me neither.

Yeah, it's happened. Rams used to do it all the time under Fisher. 2016 against Tampa. Doesn't happen often, but if anyone's going to do it, it'll probably be SF.

Not totally shut down, but more controlled, that said that was then. They have not faced this Wilson, with this good a run game to go with it.

We faced Wilson last year at Levis with a mash unit and won. You are not unbeatable.

Last year's Wilson isn't this year's Wilson. This year's Wilson has morphed into 2011 Aaron Rodgers. Sadly our defense has morphed into Seahawks 2005 defense. Decent but not great.

But I'll admit, this year's 49er defense is not last year's and is playing near an LOB level. Chicago, SF and NO are the class of the league on defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, that's a case of class vs. ass. I'll leave it at that. I know it's taboo to say anything negative about a former Hawk and all but oh well. I'll celebrate him after he retires.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":219gap7c said:
I already admitted it earlier today, even if I didn't want to :)
Yes, they are a good team. In fact, I think that D is elite. Now I'm going to go lose my lunch...…...

So did I but all this bullshit has changed my mind!!

The whiners absolutely suck ass!! :pukeface: :177692: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :141847_bnono: :pukeface: :stirthepot: :rumble:

aredub

Reaction score
Currently yes. Week 17 at home could determine the winner of the NFC West and a first round bye!

chris98251

Reaction score
I am glad the 49ers have hope, much like the Rams last year, they paid for a run and fell short, 49ers are paying for a run and it looks good now, but lets see what happens when they get the check starting next year. So glad teams are being the Yankees and Marlins in the NFL now, really soon it will be a lot like baseball and Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder will be able to buy a Championship like Steinbrenner used to do.

Although on the flip side you do have the Dream team in Philly as well as how well Horseface has done in Denver with his purchase to win strategy.

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":2osf6wmd said:
I am glad the 49ers have hope, much like the Rams last year, they paid for a run and fell short, 49ers are paying for a run and it looks good now, but lets see what happens when they get the check starting next year. So glad teams are being the Yankees and Marlins in the NFL now, really soon it will be a lot like baseball and Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder will be able to buy a Championship like Steinbrenner used to do.

Although on the flip side you do have the Dream team in Philly as well as how well Horseface has done in Denver with his purchase to win strategy.

Mate, nothing will ever come close to the terrible 2015 offseason in San Francisco.

Nothing.

So better wish up on something else :irishdrinkers:

The Niners bought one pass rusher and one MLB this offseason, if we're talking big contracts. They have some big contracts coming up, but no more than other notable teams.

You guys managed to keep the LOB in tact no? In fact, the only thing that took them apart were injuries. You lost some underappreciated ballers like Red Bryant and such, but overall kept the big names.

Whatever Seattle can do cap wise, the 49ers can do even more.

Latest posts