Are the Rams a playoff team?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":2h1kmkix said:
They still don't have a QB. They will have a rookie QB that has less than a 50% chance of playing in the NFL with any success and probably less than a 5% chance of ever being great. That's just the way the numbers work out. And they probably won't know one way or the other till after this year is in the books.

Even Russ had the training wheels on his first year. I'd say IF the QB they get turns out to be good and IF they can hold onto their talent then MAYBE they could make the playoffs next year.

^ This ^ If folks honestly believe that a homecoming back to L.A. and Shiny brand new Rook Quarterback is a sure fire instant fix and put them instantly at the top of the NFC WEST heap, it's a delusional daydream.
Just because they beat the Seahawks twice last Season, it's a forgone conclusion that they can just write them off as surefire wins from here on out?, ya I'm not buying it either.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I don't see playoffs this year, but this team now only has holes at WR.

Again, the casual fan might look at the roster and say we have needs in the secondary, but we really don't. Trumaine Johnson is one of the best, and then EJ Gaines showed his rookie year he was more than capable of starting. Got injured last year, and if he can't go, we have Marcus Roberson who has been developing nicely the last few years, along with Coty Sensabaugh who will mostly provide depth. LaMarcus Joyner is a solid slot CB.

TJ McDonald is a good safety, and the other safety spot will be Maurice Alexander's for the taking - 4th round pick from a few years ago that they saw as a future starter. Front 7 still looks to be dominant, and actually better as Lauranaitis was awful last year - addition by subtraction - Robert Quinn was also injured.

In short, on defense we will be better so long as we only sustain injuries at an average rate (as opposed to having 5 starters miss half a season or more last year).

On offense, I keep seeing people talking about our weak OL on here....doesn't make sense. It wasn't great last year, but they still did some good things....giving up the fewest sacks in the NFL. And that with rookies starting everywhere and our two starting guards getting injured. We have two bonafide starters in Havenstein and Jamon Brown - and Greg Robinson should get better.

Got the QB, Gurley will be better, feel great about the TE position after the draft......and Cooper and Thomas seem like they could stick at WR. But having not had much at the position before the draft, adding 4th and 6th round picks to the position group doesn't make it fixed - hence the only hole this team has left is at WR.

With the move/hard knocks/rookie QB/crazy travel schedule - playoffs is probably out of reach this year. But we shouldn't lose much after this year (Austin and Ogletree will hopefully have their 5th year options picked up today, and hopefully TJ McDonald gets re-signed soon); and even though we won't have a 1st round pick in next year's draft, we'll still have at least 7 draft picks total - so we can start the process of drafting to replace players while our QB and offense develops.

Playoffs in 2017 and then this team will be set for a LONG time.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ramfan128":21wii05e said:

Again, the casual fan might look at the roster and say we have needs in the secondary, but we really don't. Trumaine Johnson is one of the best, and then EJ Gaines showed his rookie year he was more than capable of starting. Got injured last year, and if he can't go, we have Marcus Roberson who has been developing nicely the last few years, along with Coty Sensabaugh who will mostly provide depth. LaMarcus Joyner is a solid slot CB.

TJ McDonald is a good safety, and the other safety spot will be Maurice Alexander's for the taking - 4th round pick from a few years ago that they saw as a future starter. Front 7 still looks to be dominant, and actually better as Lauranaitis was awful last year - addition by subtraction - Robert Quinn was also injured.

In short, on defense we will be better so long as we only sustain injuries at an average rate (as opposed to having 5 starters miss half a season or more last year).

On offense, I keep seeing people talking about our weak OL on here....doesn't make sense. It wasn't great last year, but they still did some good things....giving up the fewest sacks in the NFL. And that with rookies starting everywhere and our two starting guards getting injured. We have two bonafide starters in Havenstein and Jamon Brown - and Greg Robinson should get better.

Got the QB, Gurley will be better, feel great about the TE position after the draft......and Cooper and Thomas seem like they could stick at WR. But having not had much at the position before the draft, adding 4th and 6th round picks to the position group doesn't make it fixed - hence the only hole this team has left is at WR.

With the move/hard knocks/rookie QB/crazy travel schedule - playoffs is probably out of reach this year. But we shouldn't lose much after this year (Austin and Ogletree will hopefully have their 5th year options picked up today, and hopefully TJ McDonald gets re-signed soon); and even though we won't have a 1st round pick in next year's draft, we'll still have at least 7 draft picks total - so we can start the process of drafting to replace players while our QB and offense develops.

You're assuming Goff will be successful. There's no guarantee of that. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but there are many good quarterbacks that just aren't successful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't care how much talent a team has, if they don't have a good to great QB, they're not a playoff team...........especially in this division with how good the Hawks and Cardinals are.

So no, not yet. Maybe in a couple years if Goff pans out and the D-line stays in tact.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Maulbert":12ugybma said:
Ramfan128":12ugybma said:

You're assuming Goff will be successful. There's no guarantee of that. I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but there are many good quarterbacks that just aren't successful.

I'm assuming that Goff will be at least league average (ala Joe Flacco). If he's better, then gravy. But all we need is a league average QB and we should be able to elevate the rest of the team.

Most teams that draft a QB number 1 overall need a savior - we do not, because we were nowhere near being the worst team in the NFL. I think a lot of people get caught up on the fact that we traded up for number 1...that just represents the spot that we drafted our QB. This number 1 pick cost significantly less than the number 2 pick we traded Washington a few years ago. And I think Goff is in a great situation - good defense, running game and what should be a very solid OL. Even got him a few new weapons.

If it turns out that he was actually worth the number 1 pick, then the Rams will rise to the top of the NFL. But I wouldn't bet on him being that good....league average though? I think that's fair.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s4snwmv said:
I don't care how much talent a team has, if they don't have a good to great QB, they're not a playoff team...........especially in this division with how good the Hawks and Cardinals are.

So no, not yet. Maybe in a couple years if Goff pans out and the D-line stays in tact.

I can see that. But think about it like this...take away the QB position, we're just as good as the Seahawks and Cardinals. We've proven we can play them relatively even with our bad QB play - from that perspective, that's why I believe just having average QB play will make us a playoff team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2epk65w0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2epk65w0 said:

I can see that. But think about it like this...take away the QB position, we're just as good as the Seahawks and Cardinals. We've proven we can play them relatively even with our bad QB play - from that perspective, that's why I believe just having average QB play will make us a playoff team.

Wasn't Bradford an average QB, Foles?

And yes the Rams play the Cards and Hawks tough, but they also find ways to lose to at least 3-4 dumpster fire teams every year. That's not what playoff teams do.

So your statement is false, you're not as good as the Hawks and Cards removing the QB position. Because the Hawks and Cards do what good playoff teams do, beat the majority of teams they should beat.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Bradford was not an average QB. He was terrible.

I agree that Rams need to start winning the games they should win in order to take the next step, hopefully the full team has matured more this year. Rams have been a young team for awhile, there should start being some results and maturity simply by fact of the younger players becoming better across the board.

Still a team with high potential and nothing proven yet. Will be a fun couple years coming up now.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wd1zpuo said:
Ramfan128":1wd1zpuo said:
Sgt. Largent":1wd1zpuo said:

Wasn't Bradford an average QB, Foles?

And yes the Rams play the Cards and Hawks tough, but they also find ways to lose to at least 3-4 dumpster fire teams every year. That's not what playoff teams do.

So your statement is false, you're not as good as the Hawks and Cards removing the QB position. Because the Hawks and Cards do what good playoff teams do, beat the majority of teams they should beat.

I agree. The Rams always play up to the Hawks. Take away their games against the Hawks, the Rams were 5-9 last year. Take those games away from the Hawks, they were 10-4. It's pretty normal to play familiar opponents tough, and the Hawks' weakness played right into the Rams' strength last season. The fact is, the Rams lost to the Bears, Ravens, and 49ers last year.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vrid5ymo said:
I don't care how much talent a team has, if they don't have a good to great Head Coach, they're not a playoff team...........especially in this division with how good the Hawks and Cardinals are.

FIFY ;)

RedAlice

Reaction score
It's interesting to see the Rams' fans opinions right now. (Some agree w all the negative here).

Some are very optimistic, some are wait and see, some are very pessimistic. Facts are facts, and Rams have been bad for good reasons for a long time. The tagline on the screen when our pick was up was something like - no winning season in nine years, longest streak in the NFL.

I am just happy they are working to correct that. I believe in the fact that they are trying.

I'm probably on the let's see/optimistic side, but I cannot discount anyone else's opinion. Being in LA has given a happiness, so I am happy.

I believe the potential is there and the team is on the way up.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Winning record yes. Playoff team? It all comes down to Goff and Palmer's ACL. Whichever holds up better this year will take the second spot in the NFCW which should be enough for a playoff berth.

-bsd

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
My answer is "no" until they actually become one.

This reminds me of the freakin' 7-8 years the media kept crowning the 49ers the upcoming NFC West division champs while they were mired in mediocrity until, FINALLY, they improved.

Predictions aren't correct or something to be proud of when you predict the same thing and fail a bunch of attempts before it finally comes true.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3ompn46n said:
Sgt. Largent":3ompn46n said:

The only reason the Rams play good against the Seahawks is because that Dline is a huge mismatch for the Hawks Oline and Fisher goes all out with everything in the book like its the GD superbowl every freaking time. That and usually teams play other division opponents pretty close for the most part since they play twice each year. Rams have won 7 out of 20 non division games the last 2 years

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":gy33eosb said:

This reminds me of the freakin' 7-8 years the media kept crowning the 49ers the upcoming NFC West division champs while they were mired in mediocrity until, FINALLY, they improved.

Predictions aren't correct or something to be proud of when you predict the same thing and fail a bunch of attempts before it finally comes true.

Seriously....The narrative with the 49ers and Rams has been...it is their year..they are finally going to do it and win the west and make the playoffs. How many years has this been said about either of these teams? 49ers actually pulled it off with Harbaugh and now look at them. I cant think of a larger fall from grace as the 49ers. To be yards away from a superbowl win to what they are now

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RedAlice":2smg2j5f said:
Everything now depends on how Goff plays. That's obvious.
Completely agree.....well that and getting a coach that can win at the NFL level. Guessing Fisher will be gone at the end of the year and an important hire awaits. Still won't matter if Goff doesn't play as Rams fans hope though.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ieuaugf said:
RedAlice":3ieuaugf said:
Everything now depends on how Goff plays. That's obvious.
Completely agree.....well that and getting a coach that can win at the NFL level. Guessing Fisher will be gone at the end of the year and an important hire awaits. Still won't matter if Goff doesn't play as Rams fans hope though.

I've gone through the back and forth. I'm tired of the losing.

I'm not giving on up on Fisher yet. I'm gonna go with him for now. Let's see what he does this season.

Obviously, I like the Rams home and let's see.

RedAlice

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2bro1372 said:
RolandDeschain":2bro1372 said:

Seriously....The narrative with the 49ers and Rams has been...it is their year..they are finally going to do it and win the west and make the playoffs. How many years has this been said about either of these teams? 49ers actually pulled it off with Harbaugh and now look at them. I can't thin
of a larger fall from grace as the 49ers. To be yards away from a superbowl win to what they are now

Hawk fans with no memory are so adorable.