Are the Rams a playoff team?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RedAlice":7ac1qz9c said:
WilsonMVP":7ac1qz9c said:
RolandDeschain":7ac1qz9c said:
My answer is "no" until they actually become one.

This reminds me of the freakin' 7-8 years the media kept crowning the 49ers the upcoming NFC West division champs while they were mired in mediocrity until, FINALLY, they improved.

Predictions aren't correct or something to be proud of when you predict the same thing and fail a bunch of attempts before it finally comes true.

Seriously....The narrative with the 49ers and Rams has been...it is their year..they are finally going to do it and win the west and make the playoffs. How many years has this been said about either of these teams? 49ers actually pulled it off with Harbaugh and now look at them. I can't thin
of a larger fall from grace as the 49ers. To be yards away from a superbowl win to what they are now

Hawk fans with no memory are so adorable.
Yeah 4 words...........Tim Ruskell Jim Mora.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1s1v1kp0 said:
Ramfan128":1s1v1kp0 said:
Sgt. Largent":1s1v1kp0 said:
I don't care how much talent a team has, if they don't have a good to great QB, they're not a playoff team...........especially in this division with how good the Hawks and Cardinals are.

So no, not yet. Maybe in a couple years if Goff pans out and the D-line stays in tact.

I can see that. But think about it like this...take away the QB position, we're just as good as the Seahawks and Cardinals. We've proven we can play them relatively even with our bad QB play - from that perspective, that's why I believe just having average QB play will make us a playoff team.

The only reason the Rams play good against the Seahawks is because that Dline is a huge mismatch for the Hawks Oline and Fisher goes all out with everything in the book like its the GD superbowl every freaking time. That and usually teams play other division opponents pretty close for the most part since they play twice each year. Rams have won 7 out of 20 non division games the last 2 years

The QB spot was sorely needed to compete with teams outside of the division, that's for sure.

But I think you're off base with your comments. There's no evidence to suggest that Fisher doesn't treat the Seahawks like every other division game. Only in two games were there successful trick plays utilized, and in one of those games Austin Davis was our QB. This past season the Rams beat the Seahawks straight up - twice - with two different QBs. Yes, our DL is a mismatch for your OL and Russell Wilson, but the same can be said for almost any team we go up against. We have good players all over the field on defense, and the OL will be pretty good this year too.

Your comments make me think you only watch the Rams when they play the Seahawks - we've used Hekker on fake punts more times than I can count now - it's a part of what we do in general, it's not just special for the Seahawks.

And again, if you flip our QBs for Russell Wilson the past 4 years, we're 8-0 against the Seahawks (4-4 with wins by 4 different QBs as it is). That is a legit argument that aside from the QB spot, we're actually better than the Seahawks. But IMO, we're every bit as good as the Hawks and Cardinals outside of the QB spot. So if Goff is even league average, we'll be one step closer....and if he develops into an above average QB....look out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ramfan128":aydj4lpp said:
WilsonMVP":aydj4lpp said:
Ramfan128":aydj4lpp said:
Sgt. Largent":aydj4lpp said:
I don't care how much talent a team has, if they don't have a good to great QB, they're not a playoff team...........especially in this division with how good the Hawks and Cardinals are.

So no, not yet. Maybe in a couple years if Goff pans out and the D-line stays in tact.

I can see that. But think about it like this...take away the QB position, we're just as good as the Seahawks and Cardinals. We've proven we can play them relatively even with our bad QB play - from that perspective, that's why I believe just having average QB play will make us a playoff team.

The only reason the Rams play good against the Seahawks is because that Dline is a huge mismatch for the Hawks Oline and Fisher goes all out with everything in the book like its the GD superbowl every freaking time. That and usually teams play other division opponents pretty close for the most part since they play twice each year. Rams have won 7 out of 20 non division games the last 2 years

The QB spot was sorely needed to compete with teams outside of the division, that's for sure.

But I think you're off base with your comments. There's no evidence to suggest that Fisher doesn't treat the Seahawks like every other division game. Only in two games were there successful trick plays utilized, and in one of those games Austin Davis was our QB. This past season the Rams beat the Seahawks straight up - twice - with two different QBs. Yes, our DL is a mismatch for your OL and Russell Wilson, but the same can be said for almost any team we go up against. We have good players all over the field on defense, and the OL will be pretty good this year too.

Your comments make me think you only watch the Rams when they play the Seahawks - we've used Hekker on fake punts more times than I can count now - it's a part of what we do in general, it's not just special for the Seahawks.

And again, if you flip our QBs for Russell Wilson the past 4 years, we're 8-0 against the Seahawks (4-4 with wins by 4 different QBs as it is). That is a legit argument that aside from the QB spot, we're actually better than the Seahawks. But IMO, we're every bit as good as the Hawks and Cardinals outside of the QB spot. So if Goff is even league average, we'll be one step closer....and if he develops into an above average QB....look out.

I watch every curly horned goat game. Their intensity definitely increases when they play the better teams. They seem to think they can just show up and beat the bad teams they play and usually get their arses handed to them...that is poor coaching. There is no excuse for losing some of the games they have lost over the past few years. I don't expect Jeff Fisher to suddenly become a good coach. They will finish within one game of 8-8.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Right now everyone is a playoff team....so yes the Rams are a playoff team but so are the Titans, Browns, Bucs, 49ers, etc.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2mgz12qh said:
WilsonMVP":2mgz12qh said:
Ramfan128":2mgz12qh said:
Sgt. Largent":2mgz12qh said:

Isnt that kind of how it goes though..I mean look at the packers..they must be example 1A prime example. Without Rodgers that team is basically 7-9 every year if that. They have been really no better than any of the NFC North teams outside of the QB position but they are perenial playoff contenders solely because of Rodgers

kf3339

Reaction score
Not this year. Perhaps as a wild card next year. But there not winning the division in the next 4-5 years, if ever. Just book it.

drdiags

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a few years ago the Saints and Falcons figured they were the cream of the NFC South. Ron Rivera was on his deathbed as a HC, then lo and behold, they now are the NFC Champs and king of their division the past few years. The Rams have enough to be considered a playoff team.

The young QB could be a handicap but he can be managed enough to put them in a position to get in the post season. Look at the Vikings. They were a team stuck behind the Packers, Bears and Lions. Now they have won their division and have to be taken seriously.

Fisher is a problem but he has made it to the big dance once as a HC. I think their chances are not great but I would not be surprised. Things move in cycles.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The Rams have a strong defensive front, an elite RB who can carry the offense and a promising QB who could turn out to be a stud. Outside of the D-line the rest of the defenae isn't all that great, the O-line is pretty bad and the WR group lackluster.

The Hawks and Cards don't really have a glaring weakness at the moment. I also feel like there are more star players on both these rosters than on the Rams'. Not to forget that while Goff could develop into a fine starter, Wilson and Palmer are unanimous picks for top 5 in the league right now.

I just don't see the Rams beating out the Hawks and Cards just yet, maybe next year if Goff turns out to be a huge hit. I also doubt that the NFC west will produce 3 play off teams but it is possible of course.

My bet is they fall just short of the play offs.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
gowazzu02":35rrbwl4 said:
So Ive seen a number of different people say that the Rams are a playoff team if they could just find a quarterback.... I think that the fact that they are our kryptonite is blinding folks. This team has a dominant D line, but the rest of the roster outside of the rb coming off reconstructive knee surgery isn't that good. They have oline issues, secondary problems, and their WRs are garbage.

They may have a qb, but with the lack of picks the next few drafts there going to struggle. Just as Atlanta has, they hit on their julio jones pick but the rest of the roster is severly lacking depth....
Not yet unless that quarterback is the real deal. (I don't think so). But if I'm wrong they will be in and will embarrass us unless we fix our OL. Simple as that.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":24ywwsfo said:
WilsonMVP":24ywwsfo said:
RolandDeschain":24ywwsfo said:

This reminds me of the freakin' 7-8 years the media kept crowning the 49ers the upcoming NFC West division champs while they were mired in mediocrity until, FINALLY, they improved.

Predictions aren't correct or something to be proud of when you predict the same thing and fail a bunch of attempts before it finally comes true.

Seriously....The narrative with the 49ers and Rams has been...it is their year..they are finally going to do it and win the west and make the playoffs. How many years has this been said about either of these teams? 49ers actually pulled it off with Harbaugh and now look at them. I can't thin
of a larger fall from grace as the 49ers. To be yards away from a superbowl win to what they are now

My memory since joining the NFC West in '02 is pretty good actually.

10 playoff appearances (12 playoff wins)
7 division titles
3 NFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Title

Not bad.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
drdiags":39bxh20i said:
I'm pretty sure a few years ago the Saints and Falcons figured they were the cream of the NFC South. Ron Rivera was on his deathbed as a HC, then lo and behold, they now are the NFC Champs and king of their division the past few years. The Rams have enough to be considered a playoff team.

The young QB could be a handicap but he can be managed enough to put them in a position to get in the post season. Look at the Vikings. They were a team stuck behind the Packers, Bears and Lions. Now they have won their division and have to be taken seriously.

Fisher is a problem but he has made it to the big dance once as a HC. I think their chances are not great but I would not be surprised. Things move in cycles.

As far as the Vikings go up until about 2010 the TEAM was REALLY REALLY good and perhaps the best team in the nfl in 2009 with the addition of Favre. All that team was missing was a QB and they came super close to going to the superbowl but they werent all that young and had some other problems. They basically had everything but a QB since Culpepper left but could never find one until Favre for one year.

The past few years they have been building from the ground up through the draft and Zimmer has come in and made the defense go from worse in the nfl to top 5 in only 2 years. Overall the team is pretty dang young on defense with some talent. On offense AP can carry most of the load by himself since he is that good. They have some pretty young players on offense now too in Diggs, Treadwell, Mckinnon and Bridgewater.

I think getting the right coach is a HUGE thing for a franchise and you can see the turnaround in the 2 years zimmer has been the HC. I dont think Fisher is that great of a coach TBH and the rams have vastly underachieved given how good they have actually done in the NFC West games

Ramfan128

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":250tyajm said:
drdiags":250tyajm said:

As far as the Vikings go up until about 2010 the TEAM was REALLY REALLY good and perhaps the best team in the nfl in 2009 with the addition of Favre. All that team was missing was a QB and they came super close to going to the superbowl but they werent all that young and had some other problems. They basically had everything but a QB since Culpepper left but could never find one until Favre for one year.

The past few years they have been building from the ground up through the draft and Zimmer has come in and made the defense go from worse in the nfl to top 5 in only 2 years. Overall the team is pretty dang young on defense with some talent. On offense AP can carry most of the load by himself since he is that good. They have some pretty young players on offense now too in Diggs, Treadwell, Mckinnon and Bridgewater.

I think getting the right coach is a HUGE thing for a franchise and you can see the turnaround in the 2 years zimmer has been the HC. I dont think Fisher is that great of a coach TBH and the rams have vastly underachieved given how good they have actually done in the NFC West games

I agree with this. I didn't want Fisher back after last year.

But the reality is that you can't win without a QB. The Rams ceiling without making this move was the Jets last year - who failed to make the playoffs in a weaker conference. So Fisher's record in the NFL basically is good with above average QB play, and average with below average QB play.

If you think about it from that perspective, it's an indictment that Fisher couldn't find good QBs, but a positive that he can make teams average with below average QB play. Jared Goff will tell Fisher's story with the Rams - this is easily the best QB prospect he's ever had, and the only other QB that that was close coming out of college was Vince Young.

What's funny about Goff is that there's no sane reason why people underrated him so much - I think he's definitely a better prospect than Mariota, and right there with Winston on the field - light years ahead of him off the field. Goff had much more responsibility than Mariota did with the offense, has better footwork and pocket awareness, while possessing similar arm strength and accuracy. Goff played with bad players around him, which is likely why he is so underrated. But he went from 1-11 to 4-8 to 8-5 - at one point even having Cal ranked last year.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2noszfji said:
WilsonMVP":2noszfji said:
drdiags":2noszfji said:

But the reality is that you can't win without a QB. The Rams ceiling without making this move was the Jets last year - who failed to make the playoffs in a weaker conference. So Fisher's record in the NFL basically is good with above average QB play, and average with below average QB play.

If you think about it from that perspective, it's an indictment that Fisher couldn't find good QBs, but a positive that he can make teams average with below average QB play. Jared Goff will tell Fisher's story with the Rams - this is easily the best QB prospect he's ever had, and the only other QB that that was close coming out of college was Vince Young.

What's funny about Goff is that there's no sane reason why people underrated him so much - I think he's definitely a better prospect than Mariota, and right there with Winston on the field - light years ahead of him off the field. Goff had much more responsibility than Mariota did with the offense, has better footwork and pocket awareness, while possessing similar arm strength and accuracy. Goff played with bad players around him, which is likely why he is so underrated. But he went from 1-11 to 4-8 to 8-5 - at one point even having Cal ranked last year.

The best thing for Goff would be to sit back and watch for a year or two and learn the pro style system. His biggest challenge is going to be learning how to play from under center. He spent his entire career in a pseudo Mike Leach "Air Raid" offense, taking everything from shotgun and that is a pretty big transition from that to pro style, NFL offenses. If he gets thrown to the wolves from day 1 he is likely to struggle.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":35e6hlnn said:
Ramfan128":35e6hlnn said:
WilsonMVP":35e6hlnn said:
drdiags":35e6hlnn said:

The best thing for Goff would be to sit back and watch for a year or two and learn the pro style system. His biggest challenge is going to be learning how to play from under center. He spent his entire career in a pseudo Mike Leach "Air Raid" offense, taking everything from shotgun and that is a pretty big transition from that to pro style, NFL offenses. If he gets thrown to the wolves from day 1 he is likely to struggle.

While he did take his snaps from shotgun, he will be ready day 1 IMO because he was responsible for calling protections and changing plays at the LOS - aside from the difference in competition, the only thing he will have to get used to is taking snaps from under center. The Rams took the least amount of shotgun snaps in the NFL last year - but it was still around 40%. We could probably bump that up to 50%, which makes his learning curve less steep.

Maulbert

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":364jdgy9 said:
RedAlice":364jdgy9 said:
WilsonMVP":364jdgy9 said:
RolandDeschain":364jdgy9 said:

My memory since joining the NFC West in '02 is pretty good actually.

7 division titles
3 NFC Championships
1 Super Bowl Title

Not bad.

I think Rams fans like to occlude everything post-realignment, save for their usually meaningless few victories over the Hawks.

BTW, Cards, Rams, and Niners combined numbers in the same span:

7 division titles
2 NFC Championships
0 Super Bowl Titles

I'm not having trouble remembering.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I can assure you that I am not only post-realignment.

I live in the AFC West territory.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The Seahawks had their biggest "win" before ever taking the field for a regular season game. On August 26, 1976 the Seahawks traded an eighth round pick in 1977 to the Houston Oilers for Steve Largent. The franchise's first win came on October 17 when they beat their expansion brethren Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13-10 at Tampa Bay. On November 7 they won their first game at home, 30-13 over the Atlanta Falcons.

----

Then, in the 90's when I was watching you drafted Dan McGwire as your QB, then you drafted Rick Mirer. Allen bought the team later in that decade.

In 1999, you hired Holmgreen. These are the years I remember well.

My point is not that you do not remember your recent "golden" years, of course you do!!!!!

My point is that you don't remember when you weren't good, and so now you talk smack as IF no other team who isn't good might be about to become good. I remember it all.

Wilson changed it for you. That is fact.

----

eta: I am answering whichever posters above challenged me with their "info" on recent Hawk history with no obvious recognition of actual history.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Overseasfan":u765qq26 said:
The Rams have a strong defensive front, an elite RB who can carry the offense and a promising QB who could turn out to be a stud. Outside of the D-line the rest of the defenae isn't all that great, the O-line is pretty bad and the WR group lackluster..

I beg to differ. For example.

Z4cmG5s

Of course he was helped by the pass rush generated by that front, but then again Sherman wasn't quite as dominant last year with the drop off in our pass rush.

-bsd