Baker Mayfield & Other QB Options

chrispy

Reaction score
Browns said they picked up Watson so they could have an adult at QB. (Chris Mortensen, ESPN) With the fireworks created over a relatively level headed RW through the past 2 seasons, how could this franchise survive significantly more drama? Young, quiet, do what you're told... I think that's the immediate path forward at QB, and the right choice. Spend the cap elsewhere.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I think Tyler Huntley is signed with Baltimore for the 2022 season.
He's an Exclusive rights free agent which means Ravens can match any contract offered him. So likely means either a trade or a big enough contract that the Ravens won't match. Bummer, I didn't realize he was a ERFA.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
He's an Exclusive rights free agent which means Ravens can match any contract offered him. So likely means either a trade or a big enough contract that the Ravens won't match. Bummer, I didn't realize he was a ERFA.
Drew Lock played well Weeks 16, 17, 18. Many dropped passes vs LA.
One 1st quarter long pass uncaught by Jeudy vs KC...not an easy catch, but on Jeudy's hands. Lock also had the same foot speed as KC linebacker Nick Bolton, on the game changing fumble recovery for TD(certainly not Melvin Gordon's fault, either).

John63

Reaction score
I do not think Mayfield is the answer. I would be open to seeing if Lock can be the type of QB that can work in PCs system, though i have my doubts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You never really hear of him being particularly highly thought of and I wonder what I'm missing.
I like Ridder but he's a project QB. He has a low floor due to accuracy issues and a questionable release, so it's easy to see a scenario where that doesn't improve and he is out of the league in a couple of years.

His arm strength, decision making, mobility, and intangibles are all great. So if he continues to improves his accuracy (like he has every season thus far) then his ceiling is high.

He's the kind of prospect I'd be happy to take knowing it's a gamble, because all draft picks are gambles. People just feel differently about gambling on QBs for some reason.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
I like Ridder but he's a project QB. He has a low floor due to accuracy issues and a questionable release, so it's easy to see a scenario where that doesn't improve and he is out of the league in a couple of years.

His arm strength, decision making, mobility, and intangibles are all great. So if he continues to improves his accuracy (like he has every season thus far) then his ceiling is high.

He's the kind of prospect I'd be happy to take knowing it's a gamble, because all draft picks are gambles. People just feel differently about gambling on QBs for some reason.
Totally use a mid/late round pick on this kid. Tall, athletic, and has lots of games under his belt with 1300 pass attempts at Cincy. I say roll with Lock and draft this kid. Let ‘em complete.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm all in on Baker coming here. Maybe you don't like his personality but AFAIK he hasn't assaulted anyone or been a public menace. He's been a good QB on a team that despite having more success recently is still dysfunctional. He's not going to command a top-tier salary. After escaping Cleveland he'll probably be happy with the structure here and the ability to be himself without having to be on the defense about it.

He doesn't have to come here and be Tom Brady. He's never been a guy to throw for a ton of yards. Cleveland has been a top-tier rushing team with Baker as QB and I haven't heard him complain about not being allowed to throw it enough.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

People in the PNW seem to have a skewed idea of how good Minshew is, and who the hell knows what Huntly's got. Baker has done the job you're looking to fill.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Baker is exactly what the Seahawks don't need. Despite being the #1 over all pick for the Browns in 2018 they choose not to extend him. That right there should be a huge clue that he's not a franchise QB. So why waste a high pick trading for a QB that's a rental and not a franchise QB ? An extension would be even a worse idea, because with the cost of a starting QB in todays NFL he'd cost a good bit to resign. What do you think Baker feels he's worth ? I'm guessing a lot. This is a lose-lose deal for who ever trades for Baker and the Seahawks need to avoid like it's radioactive. Do not get locked into a expensive bust and don't trade a pick for a rental who's making 18 million and won't help much.

flv2

Reaction score
Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

NFL.com article link

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract at the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

NFL.com article link
Guess then he is a Raven then.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
With Ryan going to Indy, I feel like we could snap up Baker on the cheap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect Mayfield will be cheap to trade for and little if any significant trade capital would need to be spent to acquire him. In fact Cleveland may have to pickup a portion of his salary and trade a quality draft pick with him for any team to want to acquire him.

James in PA

Reaction score
With Indy out of the mix, we could literally RECEIVE a pick to take Baker and his salary. Baker and a 5th? Sounds good to me!

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
This^^^ I don’t understand all the Baker talk. The Browns had a squad last year and he could do squat with that team. We should either roll with who we have now or whatever we get in the draft. Don’t give up anymore draft capital for a lame duck QB!
You do realize that he also played the majority of the season hurt. He is the QB that finally took the black hole of QBs to win their first playoff game in years. Living in Oklahoma, Iwatched the kid. He is very competitive, a bit of a character, and has been a winner. Last year is not a fair assessment of him.

Mix

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield for a 3rd 4th swap or a 4th rounder all day. We can still draft a QB. If Baker plays well you decide if hes your stop gap QB or if he plays well and signs else where will return a comp pick. This allows the hawks to "Still Compete" while also building the next foundation of the team.

If I were the Browns i take nothing less than a 3rd. ill have a disgruntled back up QB who will return a comp pick next year. Yes 18M is high for a back up QB when you're paying a fully guaranteed contract to DW. But in the NFL being as under the cap as they are it an okay problem to have.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
If he can be had for even a 3rd, that’s a chance we have to take. I get not liking the guy, he is a clown show. But he is also better than anything we have now. I’d compare him to Hass as a NFL QB. He has talent, makes dumb throws because he thinks he can complete anything, but he can also make plays when needed.