Besides OL... What concerns you the most about the Seahawks?

Besides OL... What concerns you the most about the Seahawks?

• Blair Walsh

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Corner starting opposite Sherman

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Locker room camaraderie

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • The running game

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • The offensive coordinator

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Malik McDowell injury

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Tyler Lockett/Earl Thomas injury recovery

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Other - see thread

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1e2t1023 said:
cymatica":1e2t1023 said:
As much as I wanted to click the Bevell option(that 5% Graham stat is disgusting, and there is absolutely NO excuse for that), I will say run game.

A good run game = more rest on D, Wilson's nasty play action game, control of tempo, squelches opposing pass rush, better playcall options, and probably more. I'm sure toxic differential goes up as the team plays more loose.
And there's also no reason to lay that stat completely at the feet of Bev. I guess if you don't put much thought into it and are just looking for a scapegoat, that's one way to go. But it's way more complex than that.

No one says Bevell is completely to blame, I even made a point to list better playcall options. Though I find it funny someone can look at that stat and think the offensive coordinator isn't somewhat responsible.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hmm...IDENTITY??.....so we're moving on from the "Marshawn Lynch covered up a lot of the shitty play by the O-Line", eh?
The Defense shines much brighter when they aren't having to take up the majority of slack in the TOP, they need their time to gather in some rest.
IF the Defense is wearing down for being on the field too long?, let it be our opponents that are all gassed out from chasing down our speedster Receivers, or our pounding RB's .
A good Run game would go a long way to fixing a lot of these deficiencies, not to mention how much it would help take the heat off of Russell Wilson, AND the O-Line....I know that Pete Carroll has put a lot of time & effort into getting it back to respectability.

hawk45

Reaction score
Souxhawk is right. With any blocking at all the offense is more than okay, it is downright explosive.

Bevell could be criticized for not overcoming OL problems when we still had Unger and Okung to anchor and Lynch to offset. Last year I thought bevell deserved a medal for getting anything out of no blocking, no Lynch, gimpy Russ, no healthy Rawls or Prosise, no short fields off turnovers, basically no hope.

Healthy LOB is my next concern after OL. We haven't had a healthy LOB all season for a couple years now.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":2158uikk said:
In 71 red zone plays run inside the 10 yard line in 2016, Graham received ONLY 4 targets. Our best weapon in the RZ, and top 5 in the entire NFL is getting only 5.6% of plays going his way inside the 10.

For those that argue that this is not on Bevell, please provide stats that show Graham was double-teamed on 94% of all RZ plays and/or Wilson audibled 94% of the time in the RZ. Or is it purely the OL's fault that first read targets to Graham were scarecely ever called in the RZ? When Graham is inline to block in the RZ, is this the best utilization of his talents?

I'm concerned about our aging secondary, our aging '10-'12 draft class core, the OL, Cable and other issues, but Bevell's stubbornness, proven ineptitude and refusal to maximize the strengths of the talent we do have remain the biggest problem. It will be more of the same this year: bizarre RZ player usage, Graham lined up inside to block more often than not, slow starts, failure to adapt to what the opposing D is doing and the continuous, mad pursuit of "cleverness" by the OC.

chris98251

Reaction score
Having Bevell as OC is like if he were GM Trading Russell Wilson to the 49ers for their WR core and signing Colin Kaepernick, nobody would see it coming. But how well would that work out for us and where would all those receivers fit in on this roster.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3t60vvnt said:
scrummymustard":3t60vvnt said:
In 71 red zone plays run inside the 10 yard line in 2016, Graham received ONLY 4 targets. Our best weapon in the RZ, and top 5 in the entire NFL is getting only 5.6% of plays going his way inside the 10.

For those that argue that this is not on Bevell, please provide stats that show Graham was double-teamed on 94% of all RZ plays and/or Wilson audibled 94% of the time in the RZ. Or is it purely the OL's fault that first read targets to Graham were scarecely ever called in the RZ? When Graham is inline to block in the RZ, is this the best utilization of his talents?

I'm concerned about our aging secondary, our aging '10-'12 draft class core, the OL, Cable and other issues, but Bevell's stubbornness, proven ineptitude and refusal to maximize the strengths of the talent we do have remain the biggest problem. It will be more of the same this year: bizarre RZ player usage, Graham lined up inside to block more often than not, slow starts, failure to adapt to what the opposing D is doing and the continuous, mad pursuit of "cleverness" by the OC.
Bingo! This guy gets it ^^^

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawk45 gets it! It's even ridiculous to pick apart at Bevell, tied with Cable and Carl Smith for the best winning percentage for coaches in a Seahawks history with over 70 wins, unless you demand 100 percent perfection, which is undeniably unrealistic. It was a Herculean effort just to get Jimmy involved in the offense as he couldn't even practice for much of the season.

Do some of you posters even realize that maintaining Russ's health after he was injured early was priority 1? Guess what, that means the tight end had to provide blocking protection frequently. Even doing so, Graham had the best year for a Hawk tight end in team history and made the Pro Bowl. Once our line can provide adequate blocking protection, Jimmy will be utilized as a receiver more. I see that happening this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":17vvz1pn said:
hawk45 gets it! It's even ridiculous to pick apart at Bevell, tied with Cable and Carl Smith for the best winning percentage for coaches in a Seahawks history with over 70 wins, unless you demand 100 percent perfection, which is undeniably unrealistic. It was a Herculean effort just to get Jimmy involved in the offense as he couldn't even practice for much of the season.

Do some of you posters even realize that maintaining Russ's health after he was injured early was priority 1? Guess what, that means the tight end had to provide blocking protection frequently. Even doing so, Graham had the best year for a Hawk tight end in team history and made the Pro Bowl. Once our line can provide adequate blocking protection, Jimmy will be utilized as a receiver more. I see that happening this season.
This is a place for opinions, and with a lot of people posting you'll get a lot of differing opinions. Some are not going to agree with yours (see anyone's).

I suggest you accept that fact and move on, no need to let an opposing opinion ruin your day, right??? You are not going to change the mind of someone on the opposite side of the debate as they are not going to change your mind.

The opinions on the current OC are like a political debate with both sides not budging, and that's something that won't change anytime soon.

Just my .05 worth. :)

hawk45

Reaction score
My opinion on bevell definitely budged. I was critical of him for being too cute when we had a healthy Russ, prime beast mode, Unger, Okung, Carp, etc.

Once we began our slide into all cable experiments all the time, shuffling 3 or more positions and possessing no anchors over the last two years, I've shifted to waiting to see that addressed before being too critical of anything else on the offense.

Graham red zone is puzzling to be sure, and if bevell is dialing up Jermaine Kearse over Graham there it would be a valid criticism but Kearse feels like Wilson's safety blanket for some reason. I'm not ruling bevell out as the cause, I'm just not 100%

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
When will those constantly criticizing Bevell start including Pete each time they do so in order to at least show they realize that Bev isn't the head coach or the one making final decisions on this team? The fact PC keeps Bev means any of the blame for the offensive woes must go to the top eventually.

My concerns are echoed well by Hawk45. Until we have a fairly healthy (not absolutely, though) and consistent O-line, it's worth waiting before blaming. Too many factors are involved to pick out any one.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1axqhfkq said:
Siouxhawk":1axqhfkq said:

This is a place for opinions, and with a lot of people posting you'll get a lot of differing opinions. Some are not going to agree with yours (see anyone's).

I suggest you accept that fact and move on, no need to let an opposing opinion ruin your day, right??? You are not going to change the mind of someone on the opposite side of the debate as they are not going to change your mind.

The opinions on the current OC are like a political debate with both sides not budging, and that's something that won't change anytime soon.

I understand that taking pot shots at offensive coordinators is a fairly common occurrence among NFL fan bases. It goes with the territory as the game is too complex for some to grasp, so they look for an easy scapegoat. Aside from fans of the Super Bowl champ, the other 31 teams fell short on the scoreboard in their final game, so the offense gets blamed more often than not.

So instead of giving credence to those coping mechanisms, I listen to the opinions of those that really matter. The Pete Carroll's, Doug Baldwin's and Russell Wilson's have all talked reverently about Bevell and feel fortunate to have him designing plays and calling the shots on offense. He's helped Russ grow and develop in so many ways, to the point of turning him loose after breaking down the defense and possibly checking into another play if he feels that would work better against that set.

We'll have more run/pass balance this season and hopefully better blocking production. Those two ingredients alone will bring our offense up into the top 8 or so in the league and that kind of performance should push us well into the playoffs. There's no doubt in my mind that Bevell is the best fit for our offense and the team obviously supports that sentiment.

So yeah, go ahead and be negative if you want and lay claims that are in defiance of our head coach. It's the easy thing to do. I'll keep keeping on and appreciating this golden era we're currently enjoying.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2shlsqu4 said:
....So instead of giving credence to those coping mechanisms, I listen to the opinions of those that really matter. The Pete Carroll's, Doug Baldwin's and Russell Wilson's have all talked reverently about Bevell and feel fortunate to have him designing plays and calling the shots on offense.

It would appear you have selective hearing when listening to Baldwin.

[youtube]MKNpXue5Dic[/youtube]

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
LOL, seymore! If you're taking that as a serious gesture, you're missing the fun and also Baldwin's comments afterwards where he said he'd been asking for that play.

Lighten up and enjoy, M8!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1d13tarw said:
Siouxhawk":1d13tarw said:
....So instead of giving credence to those coping mechanisms, I listen to the opinions of those that really matter. The Pete Carroll's, Doug Baldwin's and Russell Wilson's have all talked reverently about Bevell and feel fortunate to have him designing plays and calling the shots on offense.

It would appear you have selective hearing when listening to Baldwin.

[youtube]MKNpXue5Dic[/youtube]
Do you even try to comprehend a subject matter or just skim the surface? Douggy has gone on record saying it was an inside joke between Bevell and himself, something two buddies would do. Of course a line has to be drawn between coach and player, especially in public like that, and Doug said his actions could've been more tasteful. I don't think Bevell really cared one way or another.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I am actually not as concerned about the o-line as i was last year. The FO keeps raving about fant. Joeckle can play both LT and LG. Britt is a stud. I think Ifedi wins the RT position and goes to his natural position and plays well.

I like Pocic as a swing guy if he can't win a starting job. Could be Pork Chop 2.0.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3kwia2l4 said:
Sports Hernia":3kwia2l4 said:
Siouxhawk":3kwia2l4 said:

I understand that taking pot shots at offensive coordinators is a fairly common occurrence among NFL fan bases. It goes with the territory as the game is too complex for some to grasp, so they look for an easy scapegoat. Aside from fans of the Super Bowl champ, the other 31 teams fell short on the scoreboard in their final game, so the offense gets blamed more often than not.

So instead of giving credence to those coping mechanisms, I listen to the opinions of those that really matter. The Pete Carroll's, Doug Baldwin's and Russell Wilson's have all talked reverently about Bevell and feel fortunate to have him designing plays and calling the shots on offense. He's helped Russ grow and develop in so many ways, to the point of turning him loose after breaking down the defense and possibly checking into another play if he feels that would work better against that set.

We'll have more run/pass balance this season and hopefully better blocking production. Those two ingredients alone will bring our offense up into the top 8 or so in the league and that kind of performance should push us well into the playoffs. There's no doubt in my mind that Bevell is the best fit for our offense and the team obviously supports that sentiment.

So yeah, go ahead and be negative if you want and lay claims that are in defiance of our head coach. It's the easy thing to do. I'll keep keeping on and appreciating this golden era we're currently enjoying.
I understand that are some in every fanbase that will defend the OC, and every play call the OC makes regardless of how horrendous how bad the play call may have been.

What do you say to those folks???

I believe that's a coping mechanism for certain folks to see what they only want to see despite what the facts are. YMMV of course.

I am still enjoying "the golden age" as you say it, despite a certain assistant coach's poor job performance.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":tx1df6lo said:
Siouxhawk":tx1df6lo said:
Sports Hernia":tx1df6lo said:
Siouxhawk":tx1df6lo said:

I understand that are some in every fanbase that will defend the OC, and every play call the OC makes regardless of how horrendous how bad the play call may have been.

I believe that's a coping mechanism for certain folks to see what they only want to see despite what the facts are. YMMV of course.

I am still enjoying "the golden age" as you say it, despite a certain assistant coach's poor job performance.

LOL!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29bilik7 said:
Siouxhawk":29bilik7 said:
Sports Hernia":29bilik7 said:
Siouxhawk":29bilik7 said:

And there are others who look at the body of work as a whole and not nitpick every minute detail to draw the conclusion that this staff works well and has a certain synergy and dynamic that's byproduct has been at least one playoff win in the past five years. Those are the facts of this unprecedented time in Seahawk history and why anyone would want to mess with that is a head-scratcher to me.

Maybe it's just a millennial thing where the prevailing attitude is that what's freshest is best. Sure that works for apple pie and roses, but I'll stand by the old motto that the grass isn't always greener ... Continuity has its rewards too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Points on the OC being a concern (or not) have been made.

Let's move on please, as this topic has been debated quite a bit already

Latest posts