Bevell Sucked Tonight.

Largent80

Reaction score
Not going for the end zone with one timeout left and 16 seconds was insane, especially since we were throwing the ball well for the first time all game. He runs Michael up the gut.

Incredible. If an OC can't be gone during the year my hope is for a new offense next year. This was actually the first decent defense we played and we looked horrible, regardless of drops and penalties.

Speaking of penalties, the lack of holding calls on Az. was just incredible.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Cyrus12":31nzqk0e said:
Bevell is awesome...look how many head coaching jobs he paased up over these last few years....

Regardless of where you stand with Bevell this was funny lol.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23vcpfv5 said:
Fade":23vcpfv5 said:
In 16 games with the Seahawks Jimmy Graham has 1 red zone touchdown. 2 other longer receiving TDs. So 3 TDs total.

The best red zone weapon in the game. 1 TD in the red zone in 16 games. Exposed. He also got that TD his first game so... Jimmy has been shutout in the red zone for 15 straight games. If you don't think the OC has had a major impact on this streak I don't know what to say at this point.
Excellent point.

Actually I'm curious what the pro-bevell response to this is. It does seem odd no?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The key difference between standard and OT play was penalties.

All game long right down to the final drive either big plays were negated or every first down was met with penalties on the next series.

You could say they called the game tight but there was constant missed holding calls on AZ until the 4th quarter. Even then our final series in regulation was two major (ticky tacky) holding calls after a first down that again completely derailed any shot at getting into field goal range.

Very hard game to watch and way to similar to the last prime time game in Seattle vs AZ.

The officiating made this game way to hard to watch.

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent80":345isig8 said:
Not going for the end zone with one timeout left and 16 seconds was insane, especially since we were throwing the ball well for the first time all game. He runs Michael up the gut.

Incredible. If an OC can't be gone during the year my hope is for a new offense next year. This was actually the first decent defense we played and we looked horrible, regardless of drops and penalties.

They ran the ball to kill time and center the kick, that's Pete's call and not Bevells.

Cad

Reaction score
Victory has a hundred fathers. Defeat is the offensive coordinator's bastard stepchild.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
The pattern I see is that when our offense shoots itself in the foot with penalties, Bevell does not bail them out with an adjusted game plan. Whiffed blocks and stupid penalties are not on him. Failing to have an immediate alternate plan when that happens is.

I have no idea what he does – whether he sticks with the original plan, tries to tweak it, or scraps it all together – but when miscues back us up, the resulting playcalls LOOK totally haphazard.

Maybe Bevell the play caller is akin to those "rhythm" QBs who need to get a little roll going before they take off. We've seen that plenty over the years. Feast or famine kind of stuff.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":20t2bpai said:
The pattern I see is that when our offense shoots itself in the foot with penalties, Bevell does not bail them out with an adjusted game plan. Whiffed blocks and stupid penalties are not on him. Failing to have an immediate alternate plan when that happens is.

I have no idea what he does – whether he sticks with the original plan, tries to tweak it, or scraps it all together – but when miscues back us up, the resulting playcalls LOOK totally haphazard.

Maybe Bevell the play caller is akin to those "rhythm" QBs who need to get a little roll going before they take off. We've seen that plenty over the years. Feast or famine kind of stuff.
I appreciate your post, but c'mon, we've had numerous games in the last few years where our offensive line has shot us in the foot for most of the game and then the proper adjustments were made to speed ahead in the third and primarily fourth quarter. Bevell is one of the best OCs in the league at making those in-game adjustments that lead to wins. He keeps Russ in rhythm and that eventually pays off.

Boycie

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ht0u6fs said:
davidonmi":2ht0u6fs said:
Don't post that here, the defend bevell at all costs clown crowd might see it
As opposed to the "blame all our offensive woes on Bevell" clown crowd?

I stated in another thread that at half time they will make adjustments and roll from there, but boy was I wrong.

Bevell is absolute crap. Funny how we were able to move the ball downfield pretty easily on the last drive before the missed game winning field goal. Do you think we moved it well because of Bevell, or because of Russ running the 2 minute, and not listening to a bloody word DB had to say?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'd be pretty sure it would be the former rather than the lattter. The constraints were off because the officials were letting them play in OT. It's actually Russ running the 2 minute as has been drawn up and practiced.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":kehai9np said:
Anyone care to disagree?

I'll bite.

Can you give me some examples of plays where you were like "man, why'd they call that, they should have done <this>."

Cause what I saw was a VERY limited offense with serious injuries to Russell, Jimmy and Lockett.......combined with arguably the worst offensive line performance maybe ever getting overrun, mauled and blown up on literally every play.

All I can criticize with the play calling is maybe they could have tried to run the ball more, but when it's 2nd and 10, 2nd and 20 cause one of 12 holding penalties OVER..................and OVER.............and OVER. How can you be successful as a play caller? And when we did have a positive play, offensive PI, holding, false start, you name it.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
How many penalties were called on the last drive? That's right none. We had big plays in regulation. All of which were called back and we would be in another huge hole again.
Only issue I had with play calling was that I thought we should have been pounding the run game on earlier downs but that would have the anti bevel crowd here raving and ranting too about a lack of creativity.
I was beginning to wonder if Michael is hurt but who knows. We need Rawls back imo.

Boycie

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":38v2ieiq said:
I'd be pretty sure it would be the former rather than the lattter. The constraints were off because the officials were letting them play in OT. It's actually Russ running the 2 minute as has been drawn up and practiced.

Are saying that the 2 minute is a set of plays called in sequence, or is it a short list of a bunch of plays that Russ can call at the line to deal with the way the other team is set up?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2loly0pu said:
Aros":2loly0pu said:
Anyone care to disagree?

I'll bite.

Can you give me some examples of plays where you were like "man, why'd they call that, they should have done <this>."

As mentioned earlier, the fade throws. How many times did we run an out routes to DB? A man who can catch the ball and stay in bounds if thrown past the sideline.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2ga91mhw said:
Siouxhawk":2ga91mhw said:

Are saying that the 2 minute is a set of plays called in sequence, or is it a short list of a bunch of plays that Russ can call at the line to deal with the way the other team is set up?

Other than the first 2-3 series of a game that are scripted, every play is a play Russ can change at the line once he sees what the defense is doing.

Then that play's success or failure is based on;

- did he keep us in the right play, or did he check out of it
- did he move the protection around correctly
- execution

I'm no coordinating expert, but I'd venture to guess by Russell's 5th year he's right on his play checking and protection 90% of the time now.............so IMO what we saw last night was the worst execution by an offense in a VERY VERY long time.

You don't go from looking good to amazing against the Niners, Jets and Falcons to terrible because of Bevell's playcalling.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Last nights loss was almost solely on the tackles. I hate to simplify it down so far but its probably closer to the truth than any blame Bevell idea.

Bevell did have a couple of terrible calls though. The fade to Graham on 3-4 after you've marched down the field throwing shorter routes just seemed like a low percentage play that you didn't need there. But with the tackles playing as bad as they did there isn't much you can do and he was handcuffed. That might of been the worst tackle duo performances I've ever seen. Maybe one of our line experts can tell us more but it looked terrible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1mtsisyv said:
Sgt. Largent":1mtsisyv said:
Aros":1mtsisyv said:
Anyone care to disagree?

I'll bite.

As mentioned earlier, the fade throws. How many times did we run an out routes to DB? A man who can catch the ball and stay in bounds if thrown past the sideline.

When your line is giving you less than a second to throw because it's 3rd and long, again so the defense can pin their ears back and destroy your tackles..........your playbook gets shrunk to quick outs, fades, screens and draw plays. That's it, there's not time for crossing routes, seam routes and downfield plays that take 3-4 seconds to develop.

That literally never happened last night more than a handful of times. Every time it did, there was another penalty. It wasn't until the 4th QTR and overtime that we stopped having every positive play called back on penalty..........and low and behold the offense looked better and moved the ball.

That's playcalling? Sorry Bevell haters, it's too simple to just keep coming in here after every loss blaming Bevell. This offense is a mess with injuries and terrible execution.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":3c9o3m1u said:

Weren't you defending Bevell earlier? lol.