Bevell Sucked Tonight.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Bevell and Cable suck together. Last night was the proof pudding of that.

Tom Cable can't coach or identify offensive line talent. Other teams have 7th rounders and UDFA on the line and get average to above average production from those players. Tom Cable has been given a player from every round in the draft and produced NOTHING.

With this garbage foundation, Bevell comes in with no history of playing for or coaching under a dynamic offensive mind. Not only that the guy has been an OC since 2006 and has never been offered a head coaching job. That is insane, Norv Turner is a garbage head coach but the guy is a lights out OC. He is still going to get head coaching offers.

Bevell and Cable suck together. The Seahawks need to clean house with the offensive coaching staff.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3eztwgwo said:
OkieHawk":3eztwgwo said:
Sgt. Largent":3eztwgwo said:
Aros":3eztwgwo said:
Anyone care to disagree?

I'll bite.

Can you give me some examples of plays where you were like "man, why'd they call that, they should have done <this>."

As mentioned earlier, the fade throws. How many times did we run an out routes to DB? A man who can catch the ball and stay in bounds if thrown past the sideline.

When your line is giving you less than a second to throw because it's 3rd and long, again so the defense can pin their ears back and destroy your tackles..........your playbook gets shrunk to quick outs, fades, screens and draw plays. That's it, there's not time for crossing routes, seam routes and downfield plays that take 3-4 seconds to develop.

That literally never happened last night more than a handful of times. Every time it did, there was another penalty. It wasn't until the 4th QTR and overtime that we stopped having every positive play called back on penalty..........and low and behold the offense looked better and moved the ball.

That's playcalling? Sorry Bevell haters, it's too simple to just keep coming in here after every loss blaming Bevell. This offense is a mess with injuries and terrible execution.

How do you figure?

A quick slant is going to take just as little time as a fade route and it's a much higher percentage throw.

It was 3rd and medium both times we threw a fade route, so that isn't equal to what you are saying. It's a silly play call considering the situation. You don't guess on 3rd down. It's like flipping a coin and hoping it lands on heads.

Every loss we've had including the game we barely won against Miami have been poorly called offensive games. There were a handful of plays in all those games where there were questionable play calls. I literally count how many times Bevell makes a poor play call because I'm so used to him calling head scratching plays week in and week out. The guy is hit and miss and lacks any form of consistency to be leading this offense.

Once again Bevell and the offensive line aren't mutually exclusive as everyone keeps trying to claim. They are both to blame, our tackles are awful.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1gyvdju2 said:
Siouxhawk":1gyvdju2 said:
I'd be pretty sure it would be the former rather than the lattter. The constraints were off because the officials were letting them play in OT. It's actually Russ running the 2 minute as has been drawn up and practiced.

Are saying that the 2 minute is a set of plays called in sequence, or is it a short list of a bunch of plays that Russ can call at the line to deal with the way the other team is set up?
I don't think it's scripted like the beginning of the game and I do believe Russ is being asked to diagnose the defense and check into another play if he thinks we can exploit the defensive set better. He's being encouraged to do that.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2tujmrj2 said:
Ace_Rimmer":2tujmrj2 said:
Siouxhawk":2tujmrj2 said:
I'd be pretty sure it would be the former rather than the lattter. The constraints were off because the officials were letting them play in OT. It's actually Russ running the 2 minute as has been drawn up and practiced.

Are saying that the 2 minute is a set of plays called in sequence, or is it a short list of a bunch of plays that Russ can call at the line to deal with the way the other team is set up?
I don't think it's scripted like the beginning of the game and I do believe Russ is being asked to diagnose the defense and check into another play if he thinks we can exploit the defensive set better. He's being encouraged to do that.

Care to respond to my earlier post on page one, I'm waiting for your response.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Remember it was a slant in SB49 that ended in a turnover.

The narrative going into this game especially was to limit turnovers because AZ pounces on every one of them and wins those games. We saw slants tipped by Kearse against GB that ended up being turnovers as well.

getnasty

Reaction score
Bevell will look good if not great against mediocre to below average defenses, but when we see a good defense this team is struggles mightily. For that reason I think Bevell himself is average, you also have to feel for a guy calling plays with our OL. Last night felt like 2 and 10 would have been a good down and distance for us so many holding penalties. People like to say wheres the quick passing game, but when you only have to rush 4 and get quick pressure the defense is able to sit on those short routes with 7 in coverage. So then you say take a shot down field, problem is we'd have to max protect to get enough time for a play to develop that long and when you do that it only puts 2 WR's in the route. The OL was a big issue before Russell's injury but now that he can move it makes everything that much harder. Not sure what the answer is but Bevell is probably the least if this offenses problem to be honest. Hopefully the OL gets better and RW gets healthier as the season goes.

mrt144

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ofrnkxxc said:
Remember it was a slant in SB49 that ended in a turnover.

The narrative going into this game especially was to limit turnovers because AZ pounces on every one of them and wins those games. We saw slants tipped by Kearse against GB that ended up being turnovers as well.

Not every slant route is at the 2 with a perfectly play by a DB to intercept it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Go back and check the film.

We consistently had 3-4 seconds but almost never more than 4.

That is enough time to get the ball out and even enough time to get back and throw a longer pass just to keep the defense honest.

But we could not run all night, so what the hell those playaction passes were for I could not guess. Nobody was fooled on those, they just waste precious offensive opportunities.

Also, as pointed out, that pass to Michael on a play where we needed long yardage but did not bother to have our blockers on that side of the field?

Here is the reality, Bevell has an offense that is producing next to dead last in offense. Which is amazing considering all the opportunities the defense gives it and the shorter fields it gets handed.

So if we fired Bevell and brought in someone that was not going to be successful here either, it isn't like the record would be worse. Admittedly we have no line, but we should still have SOME offense considering the quality of players we have at key positions.

You do realize we could not do worse than Bevell according to the #s right? So ANY hire would likely be a step up, unless he just ends up turning the ball over repeatedly. We are already a 3 downs and punt type of offense repeatedly. It would be very very difficult to do worse.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I honestly don't know enough about calling plays to agree or disagree. What I will say is his play calling did not cost us the win. Could he have done better? Probably, but he didn't drop balls, hold, miss field goals. He's a part of the mix,but not the sole problem. Our Oline was over matched and in serious trouble, our QB is hobbled and he had no time to pass and holes for RB's were far and few between. We've seen them do better this year and I can only hope they continue to learn and get better as this is what we are going with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3qbu0kgz said:
How do you figure?

A quick slant is going to take just as little time as a fade route and it's a much higher percentage throw.

It was 3rd and medium both times we threw a fade route, so that isn't equal to what you are saying. It's a silly play call considering the situation. You don't guess on 3rd down. It's like flipping a coin and hoping it lands on heads.
l.

We tried the slants too, MANY times to little success.

btw, Russell throws that fade to a high rate of success........and he throws it when he sees one on one coverage n the outside. That's not Bevell, that's Pete, Russell and Bevell scheming all week knowing that Arizona plays press cover making slants hard if your WR's don't get separation, of which they didn't. Or dropped, or penalty called back, or 3rd and 15 so too far for a quick slant to work.

You're blaming Bevell for something Russell is seeing and throwing depending on the coverage. EVERY play Russell has 3-4 options at any given progression. Slants, fades, quick outs, etc. All on the same play. HE chooses to throw the fades you don't like.

White Devil

Reaction score
My problem with the offensive gameplan is that everyone knows that Russ is less than 100% when running the ball despite the positive spin he puts on his current injury situation. The Read-Option run plays aren't going to work and/or fool anyone right now. If Russ keeps the ball, he'll be lucky to eek out 3 yards max, before the pursuit catches up to him.

Yet the play is called over and over. The team has had over 4 weeks to find another way to run the ball to help the team. Nope. Let's just stay with what we have even if it isn't going to work. There's no out of the box thinking to help the current situation with the o-line and injuries.

The gameplan coming into the game last night...I don't even think there was one, honestly. What was the actual gameplan last night? Does anyone know? I'd assume they knew they were going against 2 legit threats on the outside and would be pressed for quick hit passes. But it didn't seem that way. I don't claim to be an offensive guru like many people on this board, but I will claim that I can tell what isn't working.

Take the read-option run play section of the playbook out and put it in the garbage until Russ is healthy.

Also, if it's a 2nd rounder that Cleveland wants for Joe Thomas, I'd be willing right now to give them 2. This defense is too good to suffer with an incompetent offense. I know salary cap wise it would be tough, but it is without question, the right move. Make it happen John. Left Tackle is too important of a spot to fail to address.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":394j42kx said:
NFSeahawks628":394j42kx said:
How do you figure?

l.

btw, Russell throws that fade to a high rate of success........and he throws it when he sees one on one coverage n the outside. That's not Bevell, that's Pete, Russell and Bevell scheming all week knowing that Arizona plays press cover making slants hard if your WR's don't get separation, of which they didn't. Or dropped, or penalty called back, or 3rd and 15 so too far for a quick slant to work.

You're blaming Bevell for something Russell is seeing and throwing depending on the coverage. EVERY play Russell has 3-4 options at any given progression. Slants, fades, quick outs, etc. All on the same play. HE chooses to throw the fades you don't like.

Progressions?

How?

The ball was out of his hand immediately, it's pre-decided. It shouldn't be an option on 3rd and medium, it's a play call for 1st or 2nd down when you've established a good balance of run and pass. Case and point passing the ball over the middle to Graham on quick outs was working in OT. Why then go to a fade route to Jimmy on the outside on 3rd and manageable. I was yelling at my tv when I saw that because he should be on the line going over the middle like always.

When did the slants not work? I never remember Seattle being slant heavy and I never remember it not working. I saw a slant work perfectly I believe to Baldwin or Graham last night. It gained 10 yards, it'll work every time until the defense adjusts. It's a perfect play call when you have a shitty offensive line, it just requires accuracy from the QB. Being that we don't have much of a run game right now it should be used more often.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2l306hiw said:
NFSeahawks628":2l306hiw said:
How do you figure?

l.

Exactly.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
How many times did Russ have to chuck the ball away to the sideline because our sieve tackles were letting the outside pressure through? Way too much to count. He'd then get 2 seconds to operate and tight ends Vannett and Graham couldn't catch the ball. So frustrating. But we did have the chance for the win and the tie helps us more than it does Arizona, so I'm feeling OK with that one all things considered.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
White Devil":t7shgf9n said:
My problem with the offensive gameplan is that everyone knows that Russ is less than 100% when running the ball despite the positive spin he puts on his current injury situation. The Read-Option run plays aren't going to work and/or fool anyone right now. If Russ keeps the ball, he'll be lucky to eek out 3 yards max, before the pursuit catches up to him.

Yet the play is called over and over. The team has had over 4 weeks to find another way to run the ball to help the team. Nope. Let's just stay with what we have even if it isn't going to work. There's no out of the box thinking to help the current situation with the o-line and injuries.

The gameplan coming into the game last night...I don't even think there was one, honestly. What was the actual gameplan last night? Does anyone know? I'd assume they knew they were going against 2 legit threats on the outside and would be pressed for quick hit passes. But it didn't seem that way. I don't claim to be an offensive guru like many people on this board, but I will claim that I can tell what isn't working.

Take the read-option run play section of the playbook out and put it in the garbage until Russ is healthy.

Also, if it's a 2nd rounder that Cleveland wants for Joe Thomas, I'd be willing right now to give them 2. This defense is too good to suffer with an incompetent offense. I know salary cap wise it would be tough, but it is without question, the right move. Make it happen John. Left Tackle is too important of a spot to fail to address.
Great point about Russ and the read option. Any good OC would not continue to tempt further injury by calling zone read with their qb already in a knee brace. I wish this OC had the brains to use Boykin or a wildcat player in those circumstances.
**Here is a hint for Bevell: You have Boykin AND McEvoy who are healthy with experience rushing at the qb spot! Maybe use them and NOT the guy in the leg brace please.

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3pwtmc0s said:
How many times did Russ have to chuck the ball away to the sideline because our sieve tackles were letting the outside pressure through? Way too much to count. He'd then get 2 seconds to operate and tight ends Vannett and Graham couldn't catch the ball. So frustrating. But we did have the chance for the win and the tie helps us more than it does Arizona, so I'm feeling OK with that one all things considered.

Still had 64% completion percentage to boot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":221ci1ze said:
Sgt. Largent":221ci1ze said:
NFSeahawks628":221ci1ze said:
How do you figure?

l.

Progressions?

How?

The ball was out of his hand immediately, it's pre-decided. It shouldn't be an option on 3rd and medium, it's a play call for 1st or 2nd down when you've established a good balance of run and pass. Case and point passing the ball over the middle to Graham on quick outs was working in OT. Why then go to a fade route to Jimmy on the outside on 3rd and manageable. I was yelling at my tv when I saw that because he should be on the line going over the middle like always.

When did the slants not work? I never remember Seattle being slant heavy and I never remember it not working. I saw a slant work perfectly I believe to Baldwin or Graham last night. It gained 10 yards, it'll work every time until the defense adjusts. It's a perfect play call when you have a shitty offensive line, it just requires accuracy from the QB. Being that we don't have much of a run game right now it should be used more often.

How many times has Russell thrown the fade or seam route on 3rd down with success? I'd say just about as well as anyone in the league.

But I know, if it doesn't work, damn Bevell!

It's Russell, he sees the coverage and goes with what he thinks will work........and when he sees one on one coverage, he lets his WR's make a play. But sorry, when it's 3rd and 20, kinda hard to dial up a successful play.

This offense was garbage all night and never got anything going enough to keep the defense guessing. That's on everyone.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Bevell should have been fired a while ago. His job is to make adjustments when things aren't working.

cymatica

Reaction score
I will ask once more to anyone defending bevell. Where wete the TE or RB chips all night? If the tacles are that bad, then its on the coaches to scheme around that. Where were the screen passes to counter the blitzing? I dont think there was one screen.on first down.

I am hearing we couldnt move the ball because our tackles were atrocious, so why not help them out? I saw that happen at the end of 4th or OT, thats it. How does bevell get a pass for not seeing the obvious? You dont have to max protect, TE chips happen all the time, everyone does it.