Build the offensive line like they built the L.O.B.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":1qdaompp said:
With offensive and defensive lines, you get what you pay for. It's a lot harder to game the system at those areas than it is at say WR or RB.

FWIW, there were reports after the past couple drafts that Seattle had their eye on a couple of OL making it to their 2nd round pick, but didn't get him. Fan speculation is that those players were Kyle Long and Mitch Morse. So I do think OL has been an early round priority, but the team has either been without a 1st round pick, or needed to trade down to accumulate extras.

I am fairly confident Seattle will draft a tackle at #26. This is a deep 1st round for tackles and Seattle will start the day with 9 picks, so they won't feel pressured to move down with their first pick. Seattle has four picks in the first three rounds, and I would guess that tackle, center, and speedy LB will be among them (unless Irvin returns).

All that said, I respect Tom Cable, but his track record with drafting OL has been pretty bad in Seattle. Carp, Moffitt, Sweezy, Seymour, Fat Rabbit, Bowie, Britt, Scott, Poole, Glowinsky, Sokoli. It's starting to feel like the same song and dance every year, with the same results every time.

After Okung left the game with an injury, Seattle's OL was playing three UDFA's (Bailey, Lewis, and Gilliam). It's nothing against those guys, but it illustrates how so many players were drafted and brought in here, only to fail to grasp their opportunity. The Seahawks have given Cable five drafts to develop guys, and with a few minor exceptions, it just hasn't worked out.

That said, Cable has done well with inherited players and veterans such as Okung, Unger, and Giacomini. I think it's pretty unfair to Cable that Seattle has forced him to build through the draft almost 100%. If they allowed him to pick a solid veteran here or there in free agency, it might go a long way.

Long story short, I'd like to see Seattle invest in their OL in both free agency and the draft. The current center, LG, and RT are all backup caliber players, and the two remaining starters are both free agents. I don't think OL is as big an issue as some do because I think spread + Rawls can cover up the smell, but I'd fully support a pricey overhaul to the OL this offseason. Trying to get by on the cheap just isn't working.
I remember they brought in Robert Gallery for Cable when he first got here. Also landed Miller due in part to his connection with him. Trying to think of anyone else that has been brought in as a vet.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Happypuppy":36vihskb said:
It's not as if we have not drafted OL help earlier. They just have not worked out

The same said with the conversion projects. The best is sweezy and he is below average to average after several years.

Makes me think someone is picking for the OL that is not good at it.

Sweezy is the only drafted conversion project who has had time in the system. He was selected in the 7th Round.

Carroll made an interesting comment yesterday about being excited about Kristjan Sokoli. Carroll still views Sokoli as a center in the future. He believes he can be one of the best athletes playing the center position in the league.

Carroll was more noncommittal about the future position of Justin Britt, saying it's good that he can play either guard or tackle.

bighawk

Reaction score
We must add toughness and mass to our o-line. I know some didn't like Carpenter but he was a load and a mauler and we need that in order to dominate again. I like Gilliam as a pass blocker but he needs to add more mass. Lewis may or may not be the answer but I like what he did this year. The issue is LT,LG and RG in my opinion.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Both lines got completely dominated by Carolina and I'd say that was the no. 1 reason we lost. I sure hope Kearly is right and there will be a huge overhaul on the position group this offseason. Sokoli and Glowinski are still pretty exciting prospects. Not sure if Cable is the man anymore, he did groom an impressing run game, but is that this teams identity anymore?

rideaducati

Reaction score
TwilightError":kw18v1j7 said:
Both lines got completely dominated by Carolina and I'd say that was the no. 1 reason we lost. I sure hope Kearly is right and there will be a huge overhaul on the position group this offseason. Sokoli and Glowinski are still pretty exciting prospects. Not sure if Cable is the man anymore, he did groom an impressing run game, but is that this teams identity anymore?

The run game with Rawls in the spread offense looked pretty damned good. I think that is the future of the Seahawks offense. Still run first, but better passing offense. They have been overhauling the offensive line for a couple years now by going with more athletic linemen. Once they get used to one another, the line should do well. Just look at the difference between week one and week seventeen and imagine the improvement we can expect next year.

TwilightError

Reaction score
rideaducati":1tprqkku said:
TwilightError":1tprqkku said:

The run game with Rawls in the spread offense looked pretty damned good. I think that is the future of the Seahawks offense. Still run first, but better passing offense. They have been overhauling the offensive line for a couple years now by going with more athletic linemen. Once they get used to one another, the line should do well. Just look at the difference between week one and week seventeen and imagine the improvement we can expect next year.

All true. But the reason Rawls did not get drafted is his injuries, and I will be surprised if stays healthy for a whole season. There was considerable development in the o-line and hopefully they continue to build from that with a few key additions. A really good center FA and a high draft pick LT maybe? Not sure if they resign Okung. Good player, but can't stay on the field.

rideaducati

Reaction score
TwilightError":3p2xhubf said:
rideaducati":3p2xhubf said:
TwilightError":3p2xhubf said:

All true. But the reason Rawls did not get drafted is his injuries, and I will be surprised if stays healthy for a whole season. There was considerable development in the o-line and hopefully they continue to build from that with a few key additions. A really good center FA and a high draft pick LT maybe? Not sure if they resign Okung. Good player, but can't stay on the field.

Rawls was kicked off his team because of poor choices, not injuries. Those poor choices are the reason he went undrafted.